HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden to be waived at end of camp

Old
06-29-2010, 10:09 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
I would think the waiver rules would apply to any signing though. Thats a good question. Why isnt he waived already...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
I had always understood that you can't waive someone in the off season which is why NYR has to wait until after camp to waive WR.

So how come Cheechoo, Kotalik and others all got waived yesterday by their respective teams?
i thought they got bought out, maybe im wrong though

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HockeyBasedNYC

Nope... waivers hes right

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=325969

Old
06-29-2010, 10:10 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

"The players are expected to be bought out of their contracts if they go unclaimed and would become unrestricted free agents."

Ahhh there it is.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:10 AM
MSG the place to be*

If Redden plays another game for this team then I officially have no faith in this organization.

If an employee is sleeping with the bosses wife, stealing money from the company, and running around the office wearing an Isles jersey, would he keep his job??? Redden is way worse.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:13 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Rangerboy will explain it all when he sees this thread. Probably for the 10th time too.

Ahhh the joys of the college days. I completely lack short term memory. lol

Old
06-29-2010, 10:14 AM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Maybe Dolan will be O.K with it if Sather tells him he's burying Redden for Kovalchuk? We all know Dolan pretty much only cares about money. He knows how much attention Kovalchuk will receive. I'm sure if he knew Redden was being buried for Kovalchuk, he wouldn't have a big problem with it.

As for people concerned that it might stop potential free agents from signing here, I really hope it does. If we go to sign a free agent, and he is afraid to sign here because he thinks he might be buried in the minors, I'd be glad we scared him off. We don't need a player who lacks that much courage or skill in our line up, who thinks that their play is AHL caliber. The Rangers are a first class organization. All of the players around the league know this. The players get treated like royalty. Getting rid of a player who is on the worst contract since the lock-out, really shouldn't stop us from luring future free agents in.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:15 AM
John Torturella

Does anyone think Redden would leave the Rangers/NHL is this happens? The guy definitely has to have some pride left. Its hard to expect a guy to want to play 4 years in the AHL at his age, regardless of the money he makes.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:18 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
I had always understood that you can't waive someone in the off season which is why NYR has to wait until after camp to waive WR.

So how come Cheechoo, Kotalik and others all got waived yesterday by their respective teams?
He can be waived all the time, but there's no point in doing it now, because during the offseason (until the end of training camp) all one-way contracts count against the cap, no matter if the player is in the NHL or not. Teams may exceed the cap by 10% during that span.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Does anyone think Redden would leave the Rangers/NHL is this happens? The guy definitely has to have some pride left. Its hard to expect a guy to want to play 4 years in the AHL at his age, regardless of the money he makes.
It's $24 million guaranteed, that is enough to swallow your pride and play there at least for a couple of years. Once he has earned the majority of the contract he might decide to go to Europe.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:19 AM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Maybe Dolan will be O.K with it if Sather tells him he's burying Redden for Kovalchuk? We all know Dolan pretty much only cares about money. He knows how much attention Kovalchuk will receive. I'm sure if he knew Redden was being buried for Kovalchuk, he wouldn't have a big problem with it.

As for people concerned that it might stop potential free agents from signing here, I really hope it does. If we go to sign a free agent, and he is afraid to sign here because he thinks he might be buried in the minors, I'd be glad we scared him off. We don't need a player who lacks that much courage or skill in our line up, who thinks that their play is AHL caliber. The Rangers are a first class organization. All of the players around the league know this. The players get treated like royalty. Getting rid of a player who is on the worst contract since the lock-out, really shouldn't stop us from luring future free agents in.
It really does not seem that way when you think about the Knicks. I think I read that they spent $120 million dollars on a group of no more than 8 players that combined for 82 man games. You would think that burying Redden would be a non-issue when looking at those numbers.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:19 AM
NikC

Pride? Redden? In all my 16+ yrs watching hockey i've never seen a player make so much and do so little. He signed a huge contract to come here and be a game changing defenseman. He was supposed to run the PP. he barely holds down his role as 5/6th defenseman and contributes nothing offensively.

he was on the decline his last 2 years in OTT an nothing has changed here in NY. He has to know at some point in his heart that he doesn't have it anymore, not for that money.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:21 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Good point KH30. If someone has doubts about their game then they shouldn't belong here.

A guy like Redden who pisses and moans when he isnt played (even though its completely apparent he is a shadow of his former self) should be made an example of.

I think if this happens (and I'm also in the ill believe it when i see it pack) we should have a massive HF party.

Hopefully a precursor to the bigger parade which is the direct source of the majority of our woes - The departure of Glen Sather. How many times have we seen deals, waivings, buy outs, etc. that are make ups of his past mistakes. How many times does this guy have to publicly admit his failures to kick his own ass out of the organization?? Geezz.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:21 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Pride? Redden? In all my 16+ yrs watching hockey i've never seen a player make so much and do so little. He signed a huge contract to come here and be a game changing defenseman. He was supposed to run the PP. he barely holds down his role as 5/6th defenseman and contributes nothing offensively.

he was on the decline his last 2 years in OTT an nothing has changed here in NY. He has to know at some point in his heart that he doesn't have it anymore, not for that money.
He probably knows he is far overpaid, but would you walk away from that much money? I seriously doubt it, it's just too much. Blame Sather for offering that much for so long, but I wouldn't blame Redden for taking the money. Everybody would do it.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Not if he is sent down.
Even if he is sent down they still have to pay his salary it just comes off the cap

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:23 AM
MSG the place to be*

Glen Sather gets to do a piss poor job for 10 years AND (hopefully) burn over 25 million bucks and his employer doesnt even bat an eye.

Put aside all the hockey talk, this is just fascinating from a business sense.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Of course it's "been discussed". It's been actively discussed here for 4 or 5 months.

I'm not sure how it DOESN'T play out this way. Tortorella been quoted several times this offseason publicly commenting on his disdain for Redden. It's a relationship that has no future, so what other way forward is there?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:25 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
"The players are expected to be bought out of their contracts if they go unclaimed and would become unrestricted free agents."

Ahhh there it is.
The Calgray Herald today is saying that Sutter might not buyout Kotalik. The article said that Sutter might just demote kotalik to the minors or he could go to europe.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Probably. it's a point imyself and others have raised repeatedly. But most people seem okay with that, haha.
I'm inclined to agree with you. However, it didn't seem to have too much of an impact when Sather sent John MacLean down several years ago. Perhaps these potential Rangers will see the situation for what it is: waiving a $6 million dollar dog hogging cap space for another, what, 4 years?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:31 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Anyone see the next CBA preventing this from happening if the players union makes a fuss?

Old
06-29-2010, 10:32 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Anyone see the next CBA preventing this from happening if the players union makes a fuss?
Then they'd have to allow amnesty buyouts at one point, so that would be even better

Old
06-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Then they'd have to allow amnesty buyouts, so that would be even better
Agreed. I think the union wants the members to get paid AND have an opportunity to continue their career.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:37 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

One can only hope that Redden and the Rangers mutually agree to terminate his contract. That's if Redden wants to continue to play in the NHL anyway.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
One can only hope that Redden and the Rangers mutually agree to terminate his contract. That's if Redden wants to continue to play in the NHL anyway.
Redden would be crazy to do that. He would be lucky to get a million a season, he going to continue to make his 6.5M and stink it up wherever he goes (Rangers or HFD)

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:39 AM
rangers1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Is that even an option? Can a deal just be torn up like that if the player agree to it? Without a cap penalty to the team?

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:41 AM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Wouldnt this deter future FA signings from coming to NY?
The only type of detering I hope it causes is detering Sather from throwing ***** at the wall and hoping it sticks, like he did pre-lockout and like Smith did in the late 90's/early 2000's...

If you are gonna sign a FA (which will almost always require a team to overpay), you better make sure you are getting proven, in their prime, quality players...not some past-their-prime, reclamation projects.

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote