HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Battle of the Bulge/General Fitness

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2010, 08:17 AM
GaineysRightHandMan

vCash: 500
There seems to be a few ppl posting on the bulge thread that have conqueered the bulge. Wondering if ppl are interested in having a coaching competition as well - bulge competitors can sign up for 1 coach. If there is any interest, please post.

Team Trent:
Name: Trent/ GaineysRightHandMan
Weight loss history: 5'6". Last year from 35" waist 176 pounds to 30" waist 150 pounds. Average loss: 1 pound / week
Achievment: Started playing hockey at 35; Started running at 35 and in 1 year of taking up the sport, I ran a marathon with a time to qualify for the Boston Marathon (3hrs 15min)
Believer in: PX90 or Body for Life (weights and cardio training); Calorie count.com and its great iphone app. Need to evaluate your current habits (videogames?) and eating habits. Running.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Sharp Skates

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
Hai guys.

Any ectomorphs in da house? Raise your skinny ass wrists! Yeah, basically I need to gain more weight. I've been eating until I want to puke for the last few months, so things are going well .

EDIT:

Name: Kareem
Sex: M
Height: 178cm
Weight: 75kgs
Goal: 90kgs @ 10% bf
Main motivator: Strength, fitness, sports, powerlifting, weightlifting competitions, gymnastics
Biggest obstacle ahead:
-500lbs deadlift
-Backflip

At 5'11 and 165, you're close to deadlifting 500lbs? Are you kidding me?

Mine:
Height: 195cm (6'5'')
Weight: 86kgs @ 8% bf (small bone structure is my excuse)
Goal: 100kgs @ 10% bf
Main motivator: Started with strength but right now I'm going for size.
Biggest obstacle ahead:
325 clean and jerk
400 ATG squat (yes, it is low compared to the C&J)

I've never participated in a thread like this but I'm sure I can give advice superior to that of most personal trainers for whoever needs it . This includes Strength training, athletic training, gaining size (if you're mostly in this for the opposite sex haha), dieting and supplements.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:45 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Skates View Post
At 5'11 and 165, you're close to deadlifting 500lbs? Are you kidding me?

Mine:
Height: 195cm (6'5'')
Weight: 86kgs @ 8% bf (small bone structure is my excuse)
Goal: 100kgs @ 10% bf
Main motivator: Started with strength but right now I'm going for size.
Biggest obstacle ahead:
325 clean and jerk
400 ATG squat (yes, it is low compared to the C&J)

I've never participated in a thread like this but I'm sure I can give advice superior to that of most personal trainers for whoever needs it . This includes Strength training, athletic training, gaining size (if you're mostly in this for the opposite sex haha), dieting and supplements.
Not to sidetrack the discussion here, but gaining size doesn't necessarily translate in increasing attraction of the opposite sex.... Toning-up does.... looking like you spend too much time lifting at the gym turns-off a lot of women.

Of course, some women like huge muscles....

Old
06-29-2010, 08:47 AM
mvp76

Just a few tips I picked up over time. It may seem simple but really there is no secret to getting in shape. It's just doing it consistently. Make it a life habit.
I have been easily able to lose weight over time. Problem, keeping it off.

Huge breakfast and lunch, light supper. I read eating an egg in the morning and more keeps you more satisfied during the day and doesn't make you reach for those snacks that pack on calories. Eating early give you more time during the day to burn it off..

Of course you got to take walks and jog. Be more active. For those who feel to tired at the end of the day wake up early in the morning and get it out of the way. Saying doing it later is unpredictable because things come up during the day. Motivate yourself..

Drink lots of water. I read for a male 8X8 ounces a day, may be the same for a female. Cleans up your body and keeps you full to avoid snacks. Fat free

I switched from white to brown bread, 3% milk to 1%. Cut the fat out of your diet. Avoid unhealthy snacks. Have a little but don't go on a munchie binge..

More to come..

Last edited by mvp76: 07-07-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old
06-29-2010, 08:59 AM
mvp76

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaints View Post
Sweet, I was hoping there would be another one of these.

Biggest obstacle ahead: Being Italian. Understanding that I don't have to eat every single thing my nonna puts in front of me.

Here's a question - how do you guys eat when you're on the go? I'm a student, and I try to bring food with me as much as possible, but sometimes I need to pick up cheap food on the go. Cheap and healthy don't usually go together when it comes to student food - does anyone have suggestions? I'm at Concordia so pretty much every kind of food imaginable is around me.
lol Tough to avoid nonna's Sunday rituals, pasta and meatballs huh..Won't eat better than that in your life. Enjoy it but got to limit the plates..

Last edited by mvp76: 06-29-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old
06-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Sharp Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Not to sidetrack the discussion here, but gaining size doesn't necessarily translate in increasing attraction of the opposite sex.... Toning-up does.... looking like you spend too much time lifting at the gym turns-off a lot of women.

''toning'' is simply a buzz-word used to get people to buy into gimmick workouts/products. Size is most definitely the way to go if you want to get a great beach-body. The amount of work it takes to get ''big muscles that scare girls'' is severly underestimated. If you want size, it could mean you're not very muscular and you're looking to get at, say, Taylor Lautner level. It took him 9 months of training with world class personal trainers, nutritionists and all the free time in the world while in a high-testosterone growth phase and he certainly doesn't scare the ladies.

The point is, training for size and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy followed by a quick diet to lose the excess body fat is the fastest way to get the ''hot body'' (which is what I meant when I mentioned getting the attention of the opposite sex).

Thread hijack!

Last edited by Sharp Skates: 06-29-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old
06-29-2010, 09:48 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
''toning'' is simlpy a buzz-word used to get people to buy into gimmick workouts/products. Size is most definitely the way to go if you want to get a great beach-body. The amount of work it takes to get ''big muscles that scare girls'' is severly underestimated. If you want size, it could mean you're not very muscular and you're looking to get at, say, Taylor Lautner level. It took him 9 months of training with world class personal trainers, nutritionists and all the free time in the world while in a high-testosterone growth phase and he certainly doesn't scare the ladies.

The point is, training for size and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy followed by a quick diet to lose the excess body fat is the fastest way to get the ''hot body'' (which is what I meant when I mentioned getting the attention of the opposite sex).

Thread hijack!
But my point is when you have to spend so much time to look good it only detracts from the results. It's not perceived as "cool" to spend hours upon hours trying to look good. Even Taylor Lautner , who's body your using as an example, spent 9 months of long days and a punishing diet to get that body. I don't doubt that there are millions of women that find him hot, however, any girl with a brain (which usually comes in adulthood) will realize that a man who spends so much of his life and time dedicated and working on his biceps, pecks and abs ...... needs to get a life! That's a turn-off. (IMO).

Sure, if you're a super model, or an athlete, and making lots of money.... you can justify the obsession with the fact that you're making a living out of this.

For the record, I think it's important to be healthy - but for most normal men with busy lives, the amount of time and restrictions it takes to get that beach body is retarded. I play ball hockey 3 times per week, when I get back home I do some pull ups on my doorway mounted pull-up bar. I also have the perfect push-up thing, which I find works very well. Once or twice a week I use my bench and dumbells to quickly work out my back, chest, shoulders, arms and then finish off with some squats (after my hockey).... In total I do about 45 minutes to 1 hour of weights per week, and 5 hours of hockey.... Sure I avoid eating too much junk, but I don't torture myself either...I eat lots of veggies and avoid eating too much junk or heavy foods. No fancy diet either.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:01 AM
mvp76

Quote:

I see what your saying here and I agree. I've heard plenty of women say they like a toned slim looking guy rather than big and bulky. Some saying it's even a turn-off. It depends on preference I guess..But not all like big buffs

Old
06-29-2010, 10:07 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul21Seeker View Post
I see what your saying here and I agree. I've heard plenty of women say they like a toned slim looking guy rather than big and bulky. Some saying it's even a turn-off. It depends on preference I guess..But not all like big buffs
I hope this is not true. As i'll have no hope.

edit: not to say that i have huge muscles, just that it's unlikely i'll ever look like that slim hipster type. Hoping more for a well rounded, but strong body.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Sharp Skates

Quote:
But my point is when you have to spend so much time to look good it only detracts from the results. It's not perceived as "cool" to spend hours upon hours trying to look good.
I thought the point was that women could be turned off by a large amount of muscle?

Quote:
Even Taylor Lautner , who's body your using as an example, spent 9 months of long days and a punishing diet to get that body. I don't doubt that there are millions of women that find him hot, however, any girl with a brain (which usually comes in adulthood) will realize that a man who spends so much of his life and time dedicated and working on his biceps, pecks and abs ...... needs to get a life! That's a turn-off. (IMO).
Or it could pave the way for higher confidence and the demonstration of discipline. I believe most women would chose the beach body if all else is considered equal. Sure, if you're a super model, or an athlete, and making lots of money.... you can justify the obsession with the fact that you're making a living out of this.
Quote:
For the record, I think it's important to be healthy - but for most normal men with busy lives, the amount of time and restrictions it takes to get that beach body is retarded. I play ball hockey 3 times per week, when I get back home I do some pull ups on my doorway mounted pull-up bar. I also have the perfect push-up thing, which I find works very well. Once or twice a week I use my bench and dumbells to quickly work out my back, chest, shoulders, arms and then finish off with some squats (after my hockey).... In total I do about 45 minutes to 1 hour of weights per week, and 5 hours of hockey.... Sure I avoid eating too much junk, but I don't torture myself either...I eat lots of veggies and avoid eating too much junk or heavy foods. No fancy diet either.

I understand what you are saying but the way you see working out is mostly suited to people over 40 years of age. Getting a great body is not as time consuming as you would think. It is about consistency and (as mentioned before) discipline. Working out four hours a week and eating right is all you need to get there, unless you have excess fat, then cardio would have to be added to your workout hours. But thinking Calvin Klein models spend more than one hour in the gym, lifting five days a week is wrong. If you want something, you can get it by working towards it. Spending all your days in the gym will yield absolutely no results. The only difference between a very fit person and a not-so fit one can be 2 hours a week of physical activity, but more importantly, good nutritional habits.

I you disagree on some things, feel free to point them out.

Quote:
You won't get ''toned'' if you don't have size. That's the point I'm trying to make. It's about getting muscles and dieting down to a low bf%. Ladies clearly prefer a more athletic build, but to be achieved, muscle must be present as well as the low bf%. That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

edit: not to say that i have huge muscles, just that it's unlikely i'll ever look like that slim hipster type. Hoping more for a well rounded, but strong body.
Some like it differently than others. But yes, the current male model icon is slim and cut. If you dieted down to about 15%bf you'd probably keep your strong body but you would also be more attractive to a wide variety of women. Not saying you HAVE to do it, just mentioning it's not such a far goal.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:59 AM
twosaints

Quote:
Some like it differently than others. But yes, the current male model icon is slim and cut. If you dieted down to about 15%bf you'd probably keep your strong body but you would also be more attractive to a wide variety of women. Not saying you HAVE to do it, just mentioning it's not such a far goal.
Different strokes for different folks, but speaking for myself as a chick, I'm not into ridiculously cut, every-bulge-of-muscle-visible. Toned is fantastic (I want my man to look like a man) but you don't need to look like Zeus.

^^ Cut but not disproportionately, or bulky.

I have the same issue in terms of working out when it comes to building muscle. I want to be toned, but at the back of my mind there's the constant mantra of "men like girls built like straight lines" which I know is not a universal fact (though some would have you believe it is) so half the time I feel like I have to hold back, god forbid my arms have definition or my calves curve out at any point.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:03 AM
mvp76

Quote:
You won't get ''toned'' if you don't have size. That's the point I'm trying to make. It's about getting muscles and dieting down to a low bf%. Ladies clearly prefer a more athletic build, but to be achieved, muscle must be present as well as the low bf%. That's all.
I understand what your saying. The slim have to bulk up to get toned. I'm naturally bulk and have to tone down to get slimmer.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:06 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
I thought the point was that women could be turned off by a large amount of muscle?
True, my initial point was that big muscles are a turn-off. But it's not just from an aesthetic point of view, but knowing the effort and time it took to achieve the "beach body". Generally, women I meet are turned-off to the idea of a guy being overly into himself. And like you said, the amazing beach body does not happen just like that.

Maybe some women chose to think that those beach bodies come natural to men without the hours upon hours invested in a gym (which would be a lot more "romantic" to them than a guy working that hard just to look big)... but for the ones that understand the time and dedication it takes, there is a good chance that it might push them away (unless they're equally "obsessed").

Like my gf, I love her body, she's got some nice natural TRAITS (and the thing that rhymes with it ) , and she does her home workouts and what not.... however, if she was spending hours at the gym, always lecturing about what to eat and what not to eat, talking about working out, etc... I think I too would be turned-off no matter how tight her ass is.

Quote:

I understand what you are saying but the way you see working out is mostly suited to people over 40 years of age. Getting a great body is not as time consuming as you would think. It is about consistency and (as mentioned before) discipline. Working out four hours a week and eating right is all you need to get there, unless you have excess fat, then cardio would have to be added to your workout hours.
4 hours a week gets you that "beach body" ? Really?

Quote:

But thinking Calvin Klein models spend more than one hour in the gym, lifting five days a week is wrong. If you want something, you can get it by working towards it. Spending all your days in the gym will yield absolutely no results. The only difference between a very fit person and a not-so fit one can be 2 hours a week of physical activity, but more importantly, good nutritional habits.

I you disagree on some things, feel free to point them out.
I'm a bit confused... You mentioned the dude from Twilight (Taylor) who spent hours upon hours working out to get his body.... So what does a Calvin Klein model have to do? 4 works out a week at an hour each? Or 6 works out a week at 3 hours each?

Old
06-29-2010, 11:18 AM
twosaints

Quote:
True, my initial point was that big muscles are a turn-off. But it's not just from an aesthetic point of view, but knowing the effort and time it took to achieve the "beach body". Generally, women I meet are turned-off to the idea of a guy being overly into himself. And like you said, the amazing beach body does not happen just like that.
That depends on how focused you are on the idea of "beach body", though. When you speak about something ideal it can evoke a number of different things for different people. I do kind of agree about the overly-into oneself thing though. My bf is slim but cut and in very good shape, because he does martial arts and soccer several times a week. I swim and work out at home - I do it partly to keep up with him, but also for health benefits. I want him to keep at it cause he's healthy and yeah, he looks good as a result, but I don't expect him to have whatever this ideal of a "beach body" is. We're both happy to simply keep fit and subsequently to do stuff together (hiking, playing sports together, etc). Being overly concerned about it is definitely a turn-off, especially if you're in a serious relationship imo.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:19 AM
mvp76

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

There is always hope! There are women who like big guys, some choose a good personality over everything. Others, having a large wad of cash helps

Old
06-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks for taking the time to set up this thread LL.

My humble advice to everyone is to stay away from the scales for the first few weeks. During this time your weight may fluctuate, there is nothing more frustrating than to bust your ass working out/dieting, only to see you've gained a couple of pounds/kilograms. If you're doing things properly, you'll be able to gauge by how your clothes fit you.

Also this may not work for everyone, but I try to reward myself once in awhile. I watch what I eat for 6 days during the week. One day per week, I allow myself to eat whatever I want, within reason of course. This is my way of rewarding myself for all the hard work and dieting I do during the rest of the week. It also makes it easier to deal with the guilt if you are put in a situation where there are no healthy alternatives. (Weddings/Parties/Summer BBQ's/Poutine eating contests

Best of luck to all of you, and know that we are all here for support. Or more realistically, tease the hell out of you until you lose the weight.

06-29-2010, 11:40 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
That depends on how focused you are on the idea of "beach body", though. When you speak about something ideal it can evoke a number of different things for different people. I do kind of agree about the overly-into oneself thing though. My bf is slim but cut and in very good shape, because he does martial arts and soccer several times a week. I swim and work out at home - I do it partly to keep up with him, but also for health benefits. I want him to keep at it cause he's healthy and yeah, he looks good as a result, but I don't expect him to have whatever this ideal of a "beach body" is. We're both happy to simply keep fit and subsequently to do stuff together (hiking, playing sports together, etc). Being overly concerned about it is definitely a turn-off, especially if you're in a serious relationship imo.
So we agree

I do 5 hours of hockey (3 times per week) , and lets say ~ 1 hour of weights (20 minutes each time after hockey) ... I'll do pullups and pushups sporadically during the day and also after hockey (post weights).

Sure I can add more , but if I do , it's certainly going to be something like hiking, walking, maybe some biking... ie: activities ... and not pumping iron in front of a mirror.

To each their own, and I am in no way trying to disrespect the fitness weightlifting guru's ... just trying to give a different perspective to all this, especially for the people who are just starting.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:53 AM
mvp76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Thanks for taking the time to set up this thread LL.

My humble advice to everyone is to stay away from the scales for the first few weeks. During this time your weight may fluctuate, there is nothing more frustrating than to bust your ass working out/dieting, only to see you've gained a couple of pounds/kilograms. If you're doing things properly, you'll be able to gauge by how your clothes fit you.

Also this may not work for everyone, but I try to reward myself once in awhile. I watch what I eat for 6 days during the week. One day per week, I allow myself to eat whatever I want, within reason of course. This is my way of rewarding myself for all the hard work and dieting I do during the rest of the week. It also makes it easier to deal with the guilt if you are put in a situation where there are no healthy alternatives. (Weddings/Parties/Summer BBQ's/Poutine eating contests

Best of luck to all of you, and know that we are all here for support. Or more realistically, tease the hell out of you until you lose the weight.
Good point there about the scale. Sometimes it could take time to see results and you can frustrate yourself. You can lose body fat and still be the same weight in muscle if your weight training. If your just trying to lose weight a healthy amount is 2-3 pounds a week. I also give myself a treat every once and awhile.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Good point there about the scale. Sometimes it could take time to see results and you can frustrate yourself. You can lose body fat and still be the same weight in muscle if your weight training. If your just trying to lose weight a healthy amount is 2-3 pounds a week. I also give myself a treat every once and awhile.
Exactly, a lot of people don't realize that they are increasing their muscle mass. They only look at the numbers and see that they aren't losing weight.

The opposite can happen as well. Depending on how overweight you are, some people lose weight quite rapidly, then hit a wall. This can lead to frustration as well, since they don't understand why they are not losing weight at the same pace.

Old
06-29-2010, 12:00 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Exactly, a lot of people don't realize that they are increasing their muscle mass. They only look at the numbers and see that they aren't losing weight.

The opposite can happen as well. Depending on how overweight you are, some people lose weight quite rapidly, then hit a wall. This can lead to frustration as well, since they don't understand why they are not losing weight at the same pace.
One thing to note though, once you do reach your goals, it's important to own a scale and weigh yourself regularly (once a day or every two days).

You allow yourself some weight for fluctuation (like 5 pounds).

Research shows that people who weigh themselves more often are actually in better shape ... getting the habit to never go on the scale can hit you in the but (pun intended

Old
06-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
One thing to note though, once you do reach your goals, it's important to own a scale and weigh yourself regularly (once a day or every two days).

You allow yourself some weight for fluctuation (like 5 pounds).

Research shows that people who weigh themselves more often are actually in better shape ... getting the habit to never go on the scale can hit you in the but (pun intended
Haha, I definitely agree. Personally I weigh myself once or twice a week, usually on a Monday or a Friday and always in the morning. When your weight is at it's lowest for the day.

Old
06-29-2010, 12:14 PM
mvp76

Quote:

Yeah when your a plenty overweight and go on a hard workout it's actually pretty easy to burn off those first pounds (eating habits included) the hard ones to lose are the last ones on your goal..
I think that's called hitting a plateau. Your body also gets used to doing the same exercise so you have to find some creative ways to change your exercise habits. It's great to change your exercise plan every once and while to keep seeing results.

Old
06-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Sharp Skates

Quote:

Maybe some women chose to think that those beach bodies come natural to men without the hours upon hours invested in a gym (which would be a lot more "romantic" to them than a guy working that hard just to look big)... but for the ones that understand the time and dedication it takes, there is a good chance that it might push them away (unless they're equally "obsessed").
There are two things I see here. Either we're disagreeing on the semantics of ''beach body'' or you simply overestimate the time invested in the actual workout.

Quote:
Like my gf, I love her body, she's got some nice natural TRAITS (and the thing that rhymes with it ) , and she does her home workouts and what not.... however, if she was spending hours at the gym, always lecturing about what to eat and what not to eat, talking about working out, etc... I think I too would be turned-off no matter how tight her ass is.
if she was spending three hours a week at the gym, not lecturing about what to eat and what not to eat, not talking about working out, etc... I think I too would be turned-off no matter how tight her ass is.

Doesn't make as much sense now right? If the person is obsessed about working out, she could be a twig or a 300 pound behemoth and it would have the same effect: annoy. But what if you meet someone who is in great physical condition and doesn't even mention working out, acting in a relaxed manner about his/her physical appearance? Is that really a turn-off?

Quote:
4 hours a week gets you that "beach body" ? Really?
Alone, no. With proper nutrition and rest, yes, it does.

Quote:
I'm a bit confused... You mentioned the dude from Twilight (Taylor) who spent hours upon hours working out to get his body.... So what does a Calvin Klein model have to do? 4 works out a week at an hour each? Or 6 works out a week at 3 hours each?
He spent hours upon hours working out over the span of nine months, but never more than six hours a week. If you spend more than one hour in the weight room, catabolism sets in and you risk losing muscle (oddly enough, it happened to Taylor when he tried to work out every day of the week).

Old
06-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah when your a plenty overweight and go on a hard workout it's actually pretty easy to burn off those first pounds (eating habits included) the hard ones to lose are the last ones on your goal..
I think that's called hitting a plateau. Your body also gets used to doing the same exercise so you have to find some creative ways to change your exercise habits. It's great to change your exercise plan every once and while to keep seeing results.
Very good point, plus it keeps your workout routine from becoming boring. Once you become bored, it's quite easy to lose motivation.

Old
06-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Sharp Skates

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks, but speaking for myself as a chick, I'm not into ridiculously cut, every-bulge-of-muscle-visible. Toned is fantastic (I want my man to look like a man) but you don't need to look like Zeus.

^^ Cut but not disproportionately, or bulky.

I have the same issue in terms of working out when it comes to building muscle. I want to be toned, but at the back of my mind there's the constant mantra of "men like girls built like straight lines" which I know is not a universal fact (though some would have you believe it is) so half the time I feel like I have to hold back, god forbid my arms have definition or my calves curve out at any point.
I agree, and by cut I certainly do not mean bulging muscles, I'd say it's a bit like the statue, with maybe a bit more muscle mass. To me that's a beach body.

Also you have to understand that unless you have some very special genetics, you will not gain enough muscle to turn off men with only the occasional workout. The arms are pretty much the only place you'll risk having noticeable muscles. Squat, Lunge and stiff-legged deadlift are your friends to get great legs and glutes (your rear) and you should try avoiding exercices that work your obliques with heavy weights to keep a good waist to hip ratio .

Closed Thread