HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden to be waived at end of camp

Old
06-29-2010, 12:32 PM
NikC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Despite not making the playoffs last year, the Rangers had some pretty good years after 2004. 100, 94, 97, and 95 point seasons, and their group of young players has definitely gotten better since 2004 and they're contributing in significant ways.

It's still not enough but to pretend like this organization has gone nowhere since 2004 is fairly disingenuous
absolutely. the second half of Sather's tenure here has definitely been better than the first. I would much rather see the man retire, but he has unfinished business and the timing needs to be right for his sucessor.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Levitate

No I don't think they have to be bought out. It's just that you can't assign them to your AHL team in the offseason to get them off of the books for salary cap reasons

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He should never have been allowed to trade Leetch.
Didn't Sather also threaten Adam Graves with "I'm going to retire you" or something before sending him to San Jose?

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:47 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

LOL Jersey Girl. sounds familiar.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:50 PM
LamoTheKid

IIRC, Leetch didn't even hear from Sather himself when he was traded, right?

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:50 PM
mullichicken25

The second they demote redden, thereby acknowledging a catosprophic F-up, they have to fire sather

if the contract is so bad that they need to dump him in the minors 4 years before the end, then the contract was so bad that the person who offered it needs to be fired

retaining his job after that is in effect acknowledging that he ****ed up, and then patting him on the back for it

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:51 PM
NikC

leetch and graves should still be playing for the NYR. this is a disgrace.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:53 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Couldnt agree more mullichicken.

And the sad thing is this has happened multiple times with Sather. If I ****ed up that bad at worked i would have been canned in 2004.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:53 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Of course it's "been discussed". It's been actively discussed here for 4 or 5 months.

I'm not sure how it DOESN'T play out this way. Tortorella been quoted several times this offseason publicly commenting on his disdain for Redden. It's a relationship that has no future, so what other way forward is there?
And Torts isnt the bad guy, he's been patient. He has played out 1.4 seasons with Wade. He has a right as coach to voice his opinions on the talent at this point for sure.

Reddens season ending remarks echoed his remarks at the end of the previous season. Basically " I know its a problem, I know I need to be better"

06-29-2010, 12:55 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
I think we will know for pretty sure whether this is going to happen after FA starts.
Exactly. If we sign Kovy and are significantly over the cap, we will know for sure that he'll be buried in Hartford. Of course there's still the possibility of a trade but I don't see Sather putting himself in a position where other GM's can take advantage of him because we're over the cap.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
IIRC, Leetch didn't even hear from Sather himself when he was traded, right?
No, it was that Sather apparently didn't tell Leetch that he was in the process of trading him, so Leetch didn't find out until after the fact. Possibly from someone else first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
leetch and graves should still be playing for the NYR. this is a disgrace.
Neither are NHL capable now regardless?

Old
06-29-2010, 01:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Didn't Sather also threaten Adam Graves with "I'm going to retire you" or something before sending him to San Jose?
I thought he said that about John MacLean.

wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Regarding the question of deterring future free agents, there have been some good points about lure of money, having confidence in their own abilities, doubting that they'll ever decline as much as Redden did, understanding why the team had to demote him and, the best one IMO, do you really want anyone here who would be scared away by the prospect? But here's another one;

If the Rangers do demote him, it will be after TWO FULL YEARS of outright terrible play. He had his chance to prove himself over and over again - and he failed over and over again. Could anyone possibly look at this situation from the outside and not feel that Wade got a completely fair shake?
My take on it was always this... If there's a particular player we are targeting in free agency and that player looks at Wade Redden's situation and is concerned about his own game similarly declining and subsequently meeting the same fate, THAT IS NOT A PLAYER WE SHOULD BE NEGOTIATING WITH TO BEGIN WITH, PERIOD.

No more fragile players who's performance will be a huge question mark for the organization... No headstrong player with his ***** together is going to empathize with Wade Redden and his colossal decline.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
The second they demote redden, thereby acknowledging a catosprophic F-up, they have to fire sather

if the contract is so bad that they need to dump him in the minors 4 years before the end, then the contract was so bad that the person who offered it needs to be fired

retaining his job after that is in effect acknowledging that he ****ed up, and then patting him on the back for it
Sather won't get fired for Reddens poor play. He overpaid for Wade but not by all that much relatively speaking. And apparently Sather gave the team an out in the contract.

Its not like the Marbury situation... at least, and I whole heartedly believe this, Redden tries to be the guy the Rangers want. I do believe he has been trying.

This would mean something to me as GM. Although it would just make the inevitable harder in the capped NHL.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
And Torts isnt the bad guy, he's been patient. He has played out 1.4 seasons with Wade. He has a right as coach to voice his opinions on the talent at this point for sure.
TOTALLY disagree. Tortorella's job is to go out there and squeeze the most he can out of the players he's given. If he doesn't want to retain the services of one, he should take it up with the GM, not build a public smear campaign against him in order to force the hand of the organization.

The best case scenario for everyone involved is for Redden to go out there and do a serviceable job. Until Tortorella becomes the GM of this team, that's all he should be worrying about.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:11 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Sather won't get fired for Reddens poor play. He overpaid for Wade but not by all that much relatively speaking. And apparently Sather gave the team an out in the contract.
im sorry but if he was overpayed by "not all that much" then sending him to hartford wouldn't even be on the table

If it happens (still a big if IMO) it will be a last resort and an admission of a complete and utter f-up

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Levitate

Pretty sure Tortorella talking to Sather about his roster has had a lot more affect on any decision with Redden than anything Tortorella has said to the media.

Also pretty sure Tortorella hasn't outright said anything nasty about Redden to the media

Old
06-29-2010, 01:38 PM
rangers1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
For as much as a I love Brian Leetch, I think peoples anger over that trade comes much for from the fact that we, in the end, did nothing with the assets we recieved for him, rather than the fact that he was moved. I didn't agree with that way Sather handled it either, but if we had used those draft picks to get players that were currently helping us and Jarkko Immonen was playing like our Saku Koivu, then I bet alot less people would be complaining.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1314 View Post
For as much as a I love Brian Leetch, I think peoples anger over that trade comes much for from the fact that we, in the end, did nothing with the assets we recieved for him, rather than the fact that he was moved. I didn't agree with that way Sather handled it either, but if we had used those draft picks to get players that were currently helping us and Jarkko Immonen was playing like our Saku Koivu, then I bet alot less people would be complaining.
Nope.

The anger is was over the message it sent. The anger is about the way Sather treated a legendary Ranger. The anger is over the precedent that was set. The anger was over the lack of accountability when it came to the GM. The anger was over the fact that this kind of move had to be even considered.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:47 PM
rangers1314

So if Kondratiev had become the next Kasper, Immonen was the next Kouvi, if we had taken Zajac at 19 instead of Korpedo in 2004 and Stastny instead of Sauer in the 2nd round of 2005...you'd still be this livid over it?

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1314 View Post
So if Kondratiev had become the next Kasper, Immonen was the next Kouvi, if we had taken Zajac at 19 instead of Korpedo in 2004 and Stastny instead of Sauer in the 2nd round of 2005...you'd still be this livid over it?
Yep. I was livid at the time. Nothing has changed.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:49 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Oh of course, for him it's a matter of pride vs money and with the amount of money he makes, it'd be shocking that he'd pick pride. However, we can hope
No we can't. It's just unreasonable. I'd say it is Sather's Self-respect VS Sather's Desire-to-Play-Santa-for-fans. He said he's done with latter. That means the former is more important for him. Thus, he will not admit Redden contract was his mistake. That, in turn, will keep Redden here. He may be "discussed", yes, but knowing Sather, he would never reveal that, should he had a serious plan to move the guy. Redden stays put, Sather just sent him a message, no more than that.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Probably. it's a point imyself and others have raised repeatedly. But most people seem okay with that, haha.
Could be a blessing in disguise

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:02 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Nope.

The anger is was over the message it sent. The anger is about the way Sather treated a legendary Ranger. The anger is over the precedent that was set. The anger was over the lack of accountability when it came to the GM. The anger was over the fact that this kind of move had to be even considered.
Yup...the anger was that Sather should not have been the person completing that trading, as well as overseeing the so-called rebuilding to come. He should have been fired prior to that trade deadline.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:03 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Wouldnt this deter future FA signings from coming to NY?

No, it would make players accountable for not living up to their contracts.

It shows them that no matter what they sign, its no guarantee in this town that theyll play.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote