HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brashear, Rissmiller and Voros

Old
06-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Vito Andolini

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
At least we received SOME kind of service from Voros and a drop from Brashear.

But that Rissmiller signing was absolutely mindboggling.
Another one of those beautiful Sather signings that make no sense from day 1.

Also see the Kotalik, Redden & Brashear signings.

All 4 of these deals had people scratching their heads when they were announced and all 4 have been complete failures. How people honestly put their faith in Sather after non-sensical moves like these is an absolute mystery to me.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Levitate

Most GMs make bad moves along with the good. No one is perfect and is able to make every signing and every draft and every trade work out.

The good ones just blow it less often

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:03 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

How many times have Voros and Rissmiller been waived?

Voros has 9 lives as a Ranger it seems.

06-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Sorry, Melrose, not trying to be dense, but what are you referring to?
You'd get the full 10% overage on $59.4M allowing you to spend up to $65.35M this summer.

If you buy out these players though, you have to get down to $57.7M when the season starts to cover their cap hits.

65.35-57.7=$7.35M

In other words, you'd have demote Redden and someone making at least $850K to get under the cap.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:04 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Sorry, Melrose, not trying to be dense, but what are you referring to?
He's referring to the 10% overage on the summer cap, but his numbers are wrong.

The cap is 59.4 mil. 10% of that is 5.94 mil for a total of 65.34 mil.

No matter what we do during the offseason, we can't go over 65.34 mil (not including bonuses). If we send Redden down at the end of camp, that will reduce our cap by 6.5 mil, dropping it to 58.84 mil.

Buying out Brashear, Voros and/or Rissmiller will affect our summer cap number, but no matter what we still can get under the cap by sending Redden down.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
You'd get the full 10% overage on $59.4M allowing you to spend up to $65.35M this summer.

If you buy out these players though, you have to get down to $57.7M when the season starts to cover their cap hits.

65.35-57.7=$7.35M

In other words, you'd have demote Redden and someone making at least $850K to get under the cap.
Don't think it works that way. If you buy them out now, the buyout amount remaining still counts on the cap during the summer. If the Rangers spent up to the 10% overage, that will include that buyout amount.

They'd still just need to get down to 59.4, not 57.7.

Old
06-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Don't think it works that way. If you buy them out now, the buyout amount remaining still counts on the cap during the summer. If the Rangers spent up to the 10% overage, that will include that buyout amount.

They'd still just need to get down to 59.4, not 57.7.
If the buyout applies to the summer cap number, then I definitely can't make sense of what's happening. I was under the assumption it did not.

Old
06-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Levitate

The buyout amount would count, but not the full contract...

I don't know what the Rangers are at right now, but say their current cap hit in the summer is $40 mill and that includes Rissmiller and Voros' $1 mill contracts.

Then Sather goes and buys them out. Now instead of $1 mill each, their cap hits are now $300k each, saving the Rangers $1.4 mill in cap space. The Rangers new current summer cap hit becomes $38.6 mill.

They save money on the summer cap, giving them more room to sign free agents (but they don't completely get the two contracts off the books, as $300k of each still count).

Then when the season starts, nothing changes in regards to those bought out contracts. They still count for $300k each against the cap, but since that was being counted against the cap for the whole summer, it was also part of the Rangers spending 10% above the cap at that time, etc etc.

Old
06-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Vitto79

Does it not make sense that the teams place these guys on waivers now praying they get picked up and if they dont they may have options to trade them.....Brashear for Vandermeer for example, blahblah

i think thats more realistic cause no one is getting picked up. Hope I am wrong

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:31 PM
ogie

correct me if i am wrong but isn't Rissmiller a UFA ?

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

If Rangers are able to get O'Sullivan ill be happy. He can pass the puck and I think would fit well with Gaborik and he is only 25 not in his 30s. Get it done....

Can sather trade something for future considerations to a team to pass on him in the waivers?? Is that allowed..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:52 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
The buyout amount would count, but not the full contract...

I don't know what the Rangers are at right now, but say their current cap hit in the summer is $40 mill and that includes Rissmiller and Voros' $1 mill contracts.

Then Sather goes and buys them out. Now instead of $1 mill each, their cap hits are now $300k each, saving the Rangers $1.4 mill in cap space. The Rangers new current summer cap hit becomes $38.6 mill.

They save money on the summer cap, giving them more room to sign free agents (but they don't completely get the two contracts off the books, as $300k of each still count).

Then when the season starts, nothing changes in regards to those bought out contracts. They still count for $300k each against the cap, but since that was being counted against the cap for the whole summer, it was also part of the Rangers spending 10% above the cap at that time, etc etc.
Right. This is what I was thinking.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
If Rangers are able to get O'Sullivan ill be happy. He can pass the puck and I think would fit well with Gaborik and he is only 25 not in his 30s. Get it done....

Can sather trade something for future considerations to a team to pass on him in the waivers?? Is that allowed..
for that reason someone will take a 1 yr gamble on O'Sullivan. No doubt. 3 million is alot but some teams have the space to take a risk. LA has room but he may have burned a bridge there

Old
06-29-2010, 01:57 PM
3rd Guy High

Just because they're on waivers doesn't mean they're being bought out....

3rd Guy High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:29 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
no, it makes it possible, but doesn't mean they will be bought out.

Buying out Voros and Rissmiller would do something like reduce their cap hit this year by $500k but leave $500k on the books for next year
i could see both being bought out to clear $1m cap space this off-season.

What's the deal if we buyout brashear?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:33 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

All three players clear and the Rangers trade them for a large contract with 1 year remaining and the acquiring team buys them out. A team which has the space for Brashears $1.4 million hit. It would be about $400 plus k for 2 years to buy him out. Real money.
All 3 of their contracts expire after this season, sooo how about we just bury them and not take on a player with a large contract that probably has just as much value as Voros, Rissmiller, and Brashear do to us?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Melrose_Jr.

I just playing with the Capgeek buyout calculator and Levitate's #'s are correct.

I guess there are different buyout calculations based on salary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
i could see both being bought out to clear $1m cap space this off-season.
Ya know, the cap increase was rumored to be lower than $59.4. If you've been working your budget around a lower number, yah, I can see how the cap space is a wash plus you've got 3 fewer contracts counting against your (50).

Old
06-29-2010, 03:00 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Where's Drury and Redden, Damnit!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:04 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Everyone's making a big deal, but as far as I'm concerned, and as far as I believe, these three on waivers (except Brashear who counts regardless), and if they clear, they can put them in the AHL and only carry a $1.4million cap hit. Rissmiller already didn't count, but Voros did. In essence, if they clear, all three can be assigned to the AHL and they carry a $1.4 million cap hit (from Brashear) and erase Voros' NHL cap hit. Thus, creating more cap space for the summer.

I don't think they're planning to buy them out. That's retarded. Voros is serviceable. Brashear and Rissmiller have one year left.

Am I wrong?

Edit: Also, Redden would have had to be waived today (to meet the criteria of buyout eligibility) and clear, for the Rangers to have bought him out by the deadline that RangerBoy has mentioned - 6/30 at 5 PM EST. No?

Not saying the Rangers were planning to do that. But we do know now that isn't an option for at least this year.

Last edited by RMcDonagh: 06-29-2010 at 03:15 PM.
RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:19 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

When a player is put on waivers before June 30 which is when the ordinary buyout period ends,its either to buyout a player or send him a message(we don't want you anymore so make other plans).

Quote:
One note about Kotalik: Flames did not put him on unconditional waivers, so he cannot be bought out. Maybe they will do it tomorrow...
Quote:
but, as of now, he is not eligible for buyout under CBA. The Oilers and Rangers players, for example, were put on unconditional waivers.

https://twitter.com/FriedmanHNIC

The Flames want Kotalik to play in the KHL. They can't put him on unconditional waivers to buy him out tomorrow.

The Rangers players were put on unconditional waivers.

Buyout procedure which is in the Standard Player Contract which specifically states unconditional waivers

Quote:
The Club, in addition to other rights here under, at its option, by written notice delivered
to the Player in person, or by overnight mail to the Player's address set forth herein, may
terminate this SPC on the following condit ions:

(a) The Club shall offer the Player on Unconditional Waivers, either before or
promptly after the notice of intention to exercise the Ordinary Course Buy-Out
option (herein called "notice of termination") is given.

(b) Termination pursuant to this Paragraph shall be effective upon receipt by the
Player of the notice of termination and the Player clearing Unconditonal Waivers
pursuant to Paragraph 13(a) above.

(c) The notice of termination shall be effective if given in the form attached as
Exhibit 20, with a copy faxed to the NHLPA and Central Registry as follows:

(i) beginning the later of June 15 or forty-eight (48) hours after the
conclusion of the Stanley Cup Finals and ending at 5:00 p.m. New York time on June 30; and

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Crazyhorse30

Hopefully three times is the charm for Voros, however, something tells me he will be back on this team. He is best buds with Lundqvist and Gaborik, the two most important players on the team. Then throw in Mr. Publicity Sean Avery, and he has a lot of pull with this organization.

Crazyhorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Vitto79

Oil bought out there 3........500 K for O'Sullivan to the Rangers please

Old
06-29-2010, 03:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

According to McKenzie,a player can be put on unconditional waivers tomorrow for a buyout.

Quote:
I stand corrected. A player could be put on waivers tomorrow and the buy out enacted if he clears on Thursday.
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/17357081854

Quote:
I was wrong. A few agents I know were also wrong. :-) So check the waivers after noon tomorrow to see who else is eligible to be bought out.
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/17357126861

So you can put a player on waivers before 12pm tomorrow and send him a notice of termination by 5pm tomorrow and if he clears in 7/1 at 12pm,the buyout is executed.

The CBA says the ordinary course buyout period ends at 5pm NY time on 6/30.

If a team has more than 1 arbitration case,they can buyout a player in the summer. They have 48 hours to execute a buyout from the arbitration award or settlement in their last arb case.

Quote:
11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period. Clubs shall have the
right to exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary
Course Buy-Outs in accordance with Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be
limited to no more than three (3) such buyouts over the term of this Agreement pursuant
to Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary
arbitration hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall
not be entitled to exercise such a buyout outside the regular period for Ordinary Course
Buy-Outs. No Club shall exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-out outside the regular period
for any Player earning less than $1 million

Old
06-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

I thought you guys liked Voros...

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:55 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
All 3 of their contracts expire after this season, sooo how about we just bury them and not take on a player with a large contract that probably has just as much value as Voros, Rissmiller, and Brashear do to us?
Agree with Voros and Rissmiller. Buying them out doesn't save much. It adds $633,333 of "dead" cap space for 11-12. Rissmiller has spent the last 2 years in the AHL,what's 1 more year?

Not much they can do with Brashear besides buying him out or trading him for a larger salary.