HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden to be waived at end of camp

Old
06-29-2010, 01:05 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Wouldnt this deter future FA signings from coming to NY?
I think each and every player in the league knows how much a joke the Redden contract is. I think it's almost expected by everyone that the Rangers do demote him. If the Rangers don't, IMO, it shows their lack of commitment to winning.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Yup...the anger was that Sather should not have been the person completing that trading, as well as overseeing the so-called rebuilding to come. He should have been fired prior to that trade deadline.
He should have been fired when he fired Trottier. He should have been given the ultimatum of make the playoffs or lose your job.

06-29-2010, 01:10 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
No. If it does, that's probably a nice little filter for the fan base. But if anything, it would just have Sather dishing out no movement clauses more frequently... which he seems to have no problem doing.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:45 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

So what is the reason that he's going to maybe be waived at the end of camp and not now??

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:48 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
i dont see how it deosn't...at least to a degree

if im a FA i'd absolutely take the 2nd best offer if It meant a more secure future in the NHL

theres a number of reasons why things might not work out with a player on a team, its part of the risk of singing someone, but if im a free agent i wouldn't like knowing that if it doesn't work out for some reason my NHL career is over

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:50 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

those quotes are so misleading.

"he's been discussed" of course they are talking about Redden but what did they say? I'm sure the idea came up but we don't know if it was considered or even taken seriously.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:51 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post

"he's been discussed" of course they are talking about Redden but what did they say? I'm sure the idea came up but we don't know if it was considered or even taken seriously.

Do you think "hes been discussed" really means theyre seriously mulling over putting him on the 4th slot than the 6th, at the end of june?

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:52 PM
FanHabtic

I don't think it would deter UFA's from signing with NY however they may want some security with a no-movement clause.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:53 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Read between the lines. Theyre discussing what to do with him if McDonagh makes the team and they sign a FA, or if McDonagh and someone else make the team in September. There are only 2 slots available.

Old
06-29-2010, 01:54 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post

It definitely has been considered. Tortorella said some players needed to be "weeded out" at the end of the season. He was likely referencing Redden.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:00 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

So Arthur Staple is saying the reason Redden hasnt been waived yet is b/c in camp kids will be forced to beat out a veteran? Is that the real reason or their is another reason?

The kids can compete within themselves for a spot on the team. They don't need a veteran to beat out. We could waive him now if we wanted too, imo....of course if theres nothing stopping us.

Someone clarify please, thanks.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:01 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
Read between the lines. Theyre discussing what to do with him if McDonagh makes the team and they sign a FA, or if McDonagh and someone else make the team in September. There are only 2 slots available.
How did you come up with that? If they think Redden should be sent down, they should not have to see who gets signed. You have to have this decision made before July 1st because it tells you what needs you have to fill. If Redden is so bad that he has to be sent down then you need to have multiple replacements available. You can't wait and see because then you are stuck with the smuck for the season.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:02 PM
SteelGeno

didnt Petr Sykora refuse to report to the Wilds AHL and then it voided his contract?

SteelGeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
So Arthur Staple is saying the reason Redden hasnt been waived yet is b/c in camp kids will be forced to beat out a veteran? Is that the real reason or their is another reason?

The kids can compete within themselves for a spot on the team. They don't need a veteran to beat out. We could waive him now if we wanted too, imo....of course if theres nothing stopping us.

Damn this has come up like 10 times today but there's no point in waiving him right now. He wouldn't come off the cap until the Rangers are able to send him down to Hartford at the start of the season. Waiving someone doesn't remove them from the cap

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:06 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
So what is the reason that he's going to maybe be waived at the end of camp and not now??
As far as I know, waiving him now will do nothing to the summer cap hit. It won't remove his $6.5 million off the NHL salary cap until the season starts, when he's assigned.

Also, I believe they're at least willing to give him a shot in camp. If it's clear that he outperforms a rookie, they'll probably take the stupid way out and let him play over the rookie. This is NYR management after all. It's not Torts' call.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:07 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

If Redden refuses his assignment, the contract can be terminated, but thats also $24 million hes tossing.

Itll be interesting to see what happens regardless.

We'll see what Redden is all about here when the time comes.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:09 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:

Nothing wrong with a little competition, but that's pretty funny. That's like forcing me to eat a delicious pastrami sandwich when I haven't eaten for days.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:22 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
As far as I know, waiving him now will do nothing to the summer cap hit. It won't remove his $6.5 million off the NHL salary cap until the season starts, when he's assigned.

Also, I believe they're at least willing to give him a shot in camp. If it's clear that he outperforms a rookie, they'll probably take the stupid way out and let him play over the rookie. This is NYR management after all. It's not Torts' call.
Thanks for clarifying without a hissy fit.

Levitate, I'm aware that waiving someone doesn't remove the number; especially in Brashears case. The individual needs to pass thru waivers and be assigned to the minors. That's only possible at the end of camp , pretty much. That's what I need to know.

Thanks.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:22 PM
zestystrat

If you in the camp that believes that sending WR down or waiving him hurts future UFA’s from considering signing with the NYR (and maybe mgmt is too) why would you do this right before the start of free agency?

There isn’t a cap advantage and only a potential downside from a UFA’s perspective….best to wait it out.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:35 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
If you in the camp that believes that sending WR down or waiving him hurts future UFA’s from considering signing with the NYR (and maybe mgmt is too) why would you do this right before the start of free agency?

There isn’t a cap advantage and only a potential downside from a UFA’s perspective….best to wait it out.
If you come and play hockey and show effort, you're fine. Gaborik and Drury are examples. Look at their lucrative contracts. They came in as UFA's. It's a 2-way street.

If a player has fear he won't do good in NY & will be treated like Wade, then he probably won't play good for us. I don't want him.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
I really do think that this is going to happen.

It all depends on whether we sign someone. If we don't sign Kovalchuk or another big name, we will have plenty of cap space.

If so, the team will be able to use a veteran defenseman, and who knows, maybe he'll play a little better, and as his contract gets closer to the end, someone may bite and take him off our hands, even if it will be for another bad, but somewhat less bad contract.

A year from now, Redden will be halfway through his contract. If he has a decent season, someone might pick him up.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:46 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Even if Kovalchuk is not signed I still think Redden should/could be waived.

Itd be nice to have that extra 6.5 in space.

Old
06-29-2010, 03:05 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
If you come and play hockey and show effort, you're fine. Gaborik and Drury are examples. Look at their lucrative contracts. They came in as UFA's. It's a 2-way street.

If a player has fear he won't do good in NY & will be treated like Wade, then he probably won't play good for us. I don't want him.
I agree, but if you believe it's a deterrent, you are not putting you best foot forward on 7/1.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
So many people keep saying this. What don't you guys understand?

If a FA is deterred from signing here because he's worried that he's going to underachieve Wade Redden-style and get sent to Hartford, then WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT GUY TO SIGN HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

This should be an absolute non-issue with any FA's that we'd actually want here.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Section311
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copenhagen View Post
didnt Petr Sykora refuse to report to the Wilds AHL and then it voided his contract?
Yea but he had only like 500,000 to lose not 24million

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote