HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2 UFAs to make us a contender

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2010, 08:51 AM
  #26
ABasin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFitted67 View Post

That's why I'd like the Avs to pick up RAY WHITNEY to play top line LW

He's an awesome playmaker and he's good for 20goals a year.

On defence we could really use another shut down defenceman who can hit or at least play rough because guys like Liles and Cumiskey are not really cutting it...

So I think we should sign WILLIE MITCHELL as a top notch shutdown defence-man. Let's face it Adam Foote, god love him, isn't the force he once was.


If you disagree... please name 2 UFAs you'd like to sign... but please not Koval-i dont give a-chuck. That's not going to happen. It would sacrifice so much money that we will need in the future for guys like Duchene and RoR. plus he's won 1 playoff game in 10 years. hes just not a winner.
Three years ago, I would have loved to have either player. Now, Whitney's old, and Mitchell is pretty beat up.

So, I disagree, but won't list two UFAs, because I don't want the Avs to sign any. Maybe Hamhuis or Martin, but even there, I think they'd be overpaying for them.

Continue the rebuild. Just starting year two of a 4 year process.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:18 AM
  #27
Jaymond Flurrie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
You would seriously be willing to pay ten million dollars per for Kovalchuk? Like honestly?

Wow....
If it's two seasons, yes. If it's a long-term deal, no.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:03 AM
  #28
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,410
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiasIndustries View Post
I used to really want Kovalchuk...but at this point, he'll cost too much and doesn't really fit in with the program.

I think there might be a chance Whitney will decide to come here to play with Duchene, he seemed to really like playing on that super young team at the WC's. Hopefully he either can keep up his level of play for 3 years, or is willing to sign shorter term to play with us.

I think Kubina also fits the mold for this team better, he also fits a huge need. Hits hard, shoots hard, and can take some pressure off our top-4.
I was thinking of that the other day. I think Kubina would be a good pick up for us.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:21 AM
  #29
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
If it's two seasons, yes. If it's a long-term deal, no.
I guess it's a good thing he's only looking for a long-term deal then

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:47 PM
  #30
DRL
Streak killers!
 
DRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,098
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
In a perfect world and the avs were smart, they'd offer kovy the max for 2 yrs, our cap situation is fine untill duchene and oreilly rookie contracts expire, plus if kovy doesn't work he could be dealt for some picks and prospects in a year. And he won't get lazy with a 2 year deal since he'll need a new contract again. And sign volcenkov for 5.5 for 2 yrs aswell. But its difficult to get players to only 2 year deals, but we could outpay everyone as long as term is short.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:20 PM
  #31
FreshFitted67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tibet
Country: Tibet
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
I think 2 good UFAs are all we need to become a contender.

If we get a top line LW and a shut down d-man, do we really have any holes on this team???

Remember we were leading our division for a large chunk of last season, and weren't terribly far from making the second round...

If our young guys make any sort of steady improvement, and the UFAs make a difference, we could be contenders in 1 or 2 years.
Kubina would be nice. He's pretty solid.

FreshFitted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:41 PM
  #32
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFitted67 View Post
I think 2 good UFAs are all we need to become a contender.

If we get a top line LW and a shut down d-man, do we really have any holes on this team???

Remember we were leading our division for a large chunk of last season, and weren't terribly far from making the second round...

If our young guys make any sort of steady improvement, and the UFAs make a difference, we could be contenders in 1 or 2 years.
Kubina would be nice. He's pretty solid.
Yeah, about three other good d-men

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:47 PM
  #33
NOTENOUGHBREWER
Registered User
 
NOTENOUGHBREWER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Yeah, about three other good d-men
Holos will be the Avs best defensive addition since Blake.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:58 PM
  #34
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 3,130
vCash: 50
IMO I hope we sign a number 1-2 defenseman and a 5-6 depth defenseman. In a forward role Whitney would be alright, but I would want a 2 way left winger.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:04 PM
  #35
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala
 
Renegade Stylings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22,821
vCash: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
IMO I hope we sign a number 1-2 defenseman and a 5-6 depth defenseman. In a forward role Whitney would be alright, but I would want a 2 way left winger.
Why?

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:11 PM
  #36
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 3,130
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Why?
Martin/Michalek and Tallinder. Let Tallinder, Cumiskey, and Wilson battle it for the last 3 spots. While Shattenkrik, Holos, and Cohen development with 1 full year in the AHL.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:15 PM
  #37
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala
 
Renegade Stylings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22,821
vCash: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Martin/Michalek and Tallinder. Let Tallinder, Cumiskey, and Wilson battle it for the last 3 spots. While Shattenkrik, Holos, and Cohen development with 1 full year in the AHL.
No way this happens.

We will have 6 PROVEN NHL Dmen already on the roster when free agency opens up. There is no way this team brings in two more, unless they are guaranteeing to move one of them. And that hasn't happened yet, so I wouldn't count on it.

Cumiskey
Foote
Hannan
Liles
Quincey
Wilson

Add to that players like Holos and Shatty who will be trying to make this team, and that's a deep group.

I could see them maybe bringing either a top end guy or a 6th or 7th guy, but not both.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:23 PM
  #38
hughdreamz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
No way this happens.

We will have 6 PROVEN NHL Dmen already on the roster when free agency opens up. There is no way this team brings in two more, unless they are guaranteeing to move one of them. And that hasn't happened yet, so I wouldn't count on it.

Cumiskey
Foote
Hannan
Liles
Quincey
Wilson

Add to that players like Holos and Shatty who will be trying to make this team, and that's a deep group.

I could see them maybe bringing either a top end guy or a 6th or 7th guy, but not both.
I think it is time to move Hannan and perhaps Cumiskey or Liles. We got a lot of young prospects like Shattenkirk and Cohen. I want to see Shattenkirk on the roster next year, but I also want us to sign a #1 D-man. So dump Hannan, and Liles or Cumiskey. Resign Quincey then sign Martin or Volkenkov.

hughdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:36 PM
  #39
jaisen73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,851
vCash: 500
I think given the age and contract status of their current defense that it would be very much in the Avs best interest to invest in a proven Top 4 d-man on a long term contract. Paul Martin, to me, is the single best fit. Smart, good speed, and has played in a tight defensive system his entire career.

At the end of this season the Avs will lose Hannan and Foote will likely hang them up. Odds are if Shattenkirk isn't ready this year that a year in the AHL will get him very close by next summer. Barrie and Elliot might be contenders for a spot next year but it's probably more like 2 years. Either way, a contract that helps them now and overlaps the expiration, exits, or potential trades (Liles) is the smart way to go.

Martin, long term. They have the cap space and I hope they make it happen.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:38 PM
  #40
LTC Pain
Registered User
 
LTC Pain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMUCHBREWER View Post
Holos will be the Avs best defensive addition since Blake.

Agree 100% TMB!

LTC Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:43 PM
  #41
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: B.C. Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
The only two UFAs I wouldn't mind are Michalek or Martin but I don't see it happening. The only move I see them doing regarding UFAs is signing a 7th dman or they'll bring up either Fahey or Macias to sit in the press box.

cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:46 PM
  #42
NOTENOUGHBREWER
Registered User
 
NOTENOUGHBREWER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,615
vCash: 500
Guys lets get one thing straight. Shattenkirk is no Cody Hodgson. He isnt NHL ready enough to play NHL minutes for an NHL ready contending team in the National Hockey League. While some NHL teams might trade their top guy to make room for an NHL ready player like the NHL's Cody Hodgson, Shattenkirk needs to prove he is NHL ready before the Avs trade an NHL defenseman.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:49 PM
  #43
Sitch
Registered User
 
Sitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdreamz View Post
I think it is time to move Hannan and perhaps Cumiskey or Liles. We got a lot of young prospects like Shattenkirk and Cohen. I want to see Shattenkirk on the roster next year, but I also want us to sign a #1 D-man. So dump Hannan, and Liles or Cumiskey. Resign Quincey then sign Martin or Volkenkov.
The only defensive prospects we have that will only need about 1 year in the AHL are Shattenkirk and Holos. There is no need to rush Cohen, Gaunce, etc. I say we could still sign two defensemen (Martin and Hamhuis ). We then trade Liles for a top-6 LW - I think Liles has a lot more value than Cumiskey league-wide, and if Cumiskey gains confidence on the rush, he can be a huge threat in the future with his speed. That would leave us with 7 defensemen for this season. Out of those, Wilson is the least developed, so he serves as an injury call-up for one more season as he improves. Then in a season both Hannan's and Foote's contracts will be up. Foote will probably retire and hopefully we let Hannan walk. We then replace them with Shattenkirk and Wilson. If that works, in two seasons, our defence would consist of Martin, Hamhuis, Quincey, Cumiskey, Shattenkirk, and Wilson.

Sitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:51 PM
  #44
Mant*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
I guess it's a good thing he's only looking for a long-term deal then
And an even better thing that this guy isn't in charge of signings.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:58 PM
  #45
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: B.C. Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey22rws View Post
The only defensive prospects we have that will only need about 1 year in the AHL are Shattenkirk and Holos. There is no need to rush Cohen, Gaunce, etc. I say we could still sign two defensemen (Martin and Hamhuis ). We then trade Liles for a top-6 LW - I think Liles has a lot more value than Cumiskey league-wide, and if Cumiskey gains confidence on the rush, he can be a huge threat in the future with his speed. That would leave us with 7 defensemen for this season. Out of those, Wilson is the least developed, so he serves as an injury call-up for one more season as he improves. Then in a season both Hannan's and Foote's contracts will be up. Foote will probably retire and hopefully we let Hannan walk. We then replace them with Shattenkirk and Wilson. If that works, in two seasons, our defence would consist of Martin, Hamhuis, Quincey, Cumiskey, Shattenkirk, and Wilson.
I'd say Gaunce is closer than you think. He was named in the top-3 defensive dmen in the OHl for the past 2 years so obviously he knows a little about defense. He might be better than Shattenkirk defensively which is what the Avs need right now. He also has the size to make the jump. Unless there are injuries, I don't think he will crack the lineup out of camp, but he could get called up before the other two if he has a good start in the AHL.

cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:04 PM
  #46
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
No way this happens.

We will have 6 PROVEN NHL Dmen already on the roster when free agency opens up. There is no way this team brings in two more, unless they are guaranteeing to move one of them. And that hasn't happened yet, so I wouldn't count on it.

Cumiskey
Foote
Hannan
Liles
Quincey
Wilson

Add to that players like Holos and Shatty who will be trying to make this team, and that's a deep group.

I could see them maybe bringing either a top end guy or a 6th or 7th guy, but not both.
Proven to do what? Look like a joke for 82 regular season games and a six game series?

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:54 PM
  #47
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala
 
Renegade Stylings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22,821
vCash: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Proven to do what? Look like a joke for 82 regular season games and a six game series?
Proven that they can play in on an NHL roster. I would take the 6 we have and the young guys coming up ahead of throwing our money around on a less-than-stellar free agent class.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:56 PM
  #48
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,592
vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Three years ago, I would have loved to have either player. Now, Whitney's old, and Mitchell is pretty beat up.

So, I disagree, but won't list two UFAs, because I don't want the Avs to sign any. Maybe Hamhuis or Martin, but even there, I think they'd be overpaying for them.

Continue the rebuild. Just starting year two of a 4 year process.

-AB
Agree 100% with this.

I would probably look towards acquiring a 4th line center who can win some frikkin' faceoffs though. We've been lacking in that department for WAY TOO LONG!!!

Sucks that Steckel re-signed in Washington...

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:01 PM
  #49
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,828
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMUCHBREWER View Post
Guys lets get one thing straight. Shattenkirk is no Cody Hodgson. He isnt NHL ready enough to play NHL minutes for an NHL ready contending team in the National Hockey League. While some NHL teams might trade their top guy to make room for an NHL ready player like the NHL's Cody Hodgson, Shattenkirk needs to prove he is NHL ready before the Avs trade an NHL defenseman.

So you saying Shattenkrik isn't the next Boby Orr? Why oh why couldn't the Avs draft NHL ready Hodgson or P "i am the next ray ****ing bourque" K Subban!! Why

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:19 PM
  #50
StanGetz*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 4,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
So you saying Shattenkrik isn't the next Boby Orr? Why oh why couldn't the Avs draft NHL ready Hodgson or P "i am the next ray ****ing bourque" K Subban!! Why
Hey, that's Pernell Karl to you good sir.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.