HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick #179: Nick Luukko, D, The Gunnery (CT USHS)

Old
06-26-2010, 05:07 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

vCash: 500
Apparently he has a home if he wants to come to the OHL. I hope to God he doesn't.... it's the friggen Knights (who, coincidentally, play at a venue owned by Comcast!)

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 05:10 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Yeah, something about that. Like I think you got good opinions man, but it's a bit flaky when the only pick you like happens to be someone you know. And the whole Luukko thing doesn't help matters. I can get that your opinions are a bit slanted towards players you may like for various reasons - everyone does and anyone who says different is lying to themselves, and I'm not saying the guy sucks I haven't seen any one of these guys play, but c'mon now...
I do not know him personally and I have never hung out with him. But my friend who plays goalie has played against and with him countless times and only has high remarks about him.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 05:34 PM
IrishSniper87

Darn, for a bunch of guys who have NEVER SEEN THE KID PLAY, you guys are rough.

I heard he was going to go 5th/6th/7th round anyway, so what's the big deal?

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 05:35 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Darn, for a bunch of guys who have NEVER SEEN THE KID PLAY, you guys are rough.

I heard he was going to go 5th/6th/7th round anyway, so what's the big deal?
Yea, I think he was projected 6th/7th.

If we wouldve picked him with our 3rd round pick, I wouldve questioned Homer.

Old
06-26-2010, 05:43 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post

Pretty much.

If anything, the kid will have more pressure then anyone to perform given his background.

I like drafting local kids. Imagine if he went to the Rangers and turned out being a solid Top-4 defender? The clowns on this board would lament the fact we passed on him and whine.

If he doesn't turn out, it won't surprise me. Most 6th round picks dont.

Old
06-26-2010, 06:11 PM
freakydallas13

watching the interview with peter on the flyers website, I get the vibe that he actually preferred we didn't take nick.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 06:29 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydallas13 View Post
watching the interview with peter on the flyers website, I get the vibe that he actually preferred we didn't take nick.
He actually said it, but you're right.

Old
06-26-2010, 06:50 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I know nothing about any of our picks, especially this guy

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:07 PM
MsWoof

Ugh! This is like the Sudbury Wolves where Mike Foligno picked his kids and played them over everyone else. Except in this instance, it seems Peter didn't want the Flyers to take him and I wouldn't either, let the kid make it on his own merits, not on his last name.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:10 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Ugh! This is like the Sudbury Wolves where Mike Foligno picked his kids and played them over everyone else. Except in this instance, it seems Peter didn't want the Flyers to take him and I wouldn't either, let the kid make it on his own merits, not on his last name.
Peter Luukko said the same exact thing in his interview.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:15 PM
IntoTheDark*

My bro played with him 2 years ago. Wasn't anyhing special. Waste of a pick

IntoTheDark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:39 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucey sailor View Post
My bro played with him 2 years ago. Wasn't anyhing special. Waste of a pick
My friend who played goalie with him and against him said that he is something special. Good speed, vision, and defensive play. Loved having him in front of him, but hated being on the receiving end of one of his shots.

Old
06-26-2010, 08:53 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
LOL - it's worse. It's uber-nepotism. Guess who drafted him in the OHL? Yep, might as well change his last name to Hunter....

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Jester

I just think this pick is perfect...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:02 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
LOL - it's worse. It's uber-nepotism. Guess who drafted him in the OHL? Yep, might as well change his last name to Hunter....
Bwahahaha! Damn Knights!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:21 PM
BrindamoursNose

Mercy pick.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:13 AM
mikedifr

Homer thought he was saying thank you to Lukko for allowing him to keep his job when he continuously makes stupid moves, however, Homer didnt realize that Lukko didnt want his son picked so now he will be fired!!!

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:43 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1930
http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=287421

Quote:
Nick Luukko couldn't believe his eyes when he saw his name pop up on the National Hockey League Draft website Saturday afternoon.

The Dubuque Fighting Saints' defenseman had to click the refresh button a few times before he could accept the fact one of his boyhood dreams had just come true.

Luukko's hometown Philadelphia Flyers selected the 6-foot-2, 180-pound native of West Chester, Penn., in the sixth round with the 179th overall pick. His father, Peter, serves as the chief operating officer of Comcast-Spectacor, which operates the Flyers and Philadelphia 76ers.

"I was actually pretty shocked. I had to do a double take," Nick Luukko said. "I had to look at it a second time to realize, 'Hey, this is for real.' It's like a dream come true, because I've been a die-hard Flyers fan my whole life. The thought of being drafted by them is just unbelievable."

The Flyers' front office didn't just select Nick Luukko as a favor to their boss.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Rick Deckard

Gormley:

Quote:
With 18-year-old defenseman Nick Luukko still on the board, the Flyers took the son of Flyers president and Comcast-Spectacor CEO Peter Luukko with the 179th pick overall.

Holmgren said the Flyers' scouts had Luukko "in the 90s" and he was "too good to pass up."

Before the draft, Peter Luukko said he hoped his son would get drafted by another NHL team.

"It was probably a more difficult situation for Peter than it was for Nick," Holmgren said. "He'd probably wish somebody else would pick him, but we're happy to have him. He's really come around. He's a big defenseman (6-2, 180) who's very, very intelligent on the ice."

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

He was ranked 175 for North American skaters so when you factor in the goalies and Europeans it's possible he doesn't get drafted at all if it wasn't for the Flyers. Not a huge reach or anything, but I'll never buy that he wasn't drafted based on his name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Peter Luukko said the same exact thing in his interview.
He did, but I find it hard to believe that if he really felt his son would be better off elsewhere that they wouldn't respect his wishes. It's not like he was some can't miss talent.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:58 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
He was ranked 175 for North American skaters so when you factor in the goalies and Europeans it's possible he doesn't get drafted at all if it wasn't for the Flyers. Not a huge reach or anything, but I'll never buy that he wasn't drafted based on his name.

He did, but I find it hard to believe that if he really felt his son would be better off elsewhere that they wouldn't respect his wishes. It's not like he was some can't miss talent.
I'm sure he didn't want the Flyers to draft him for a lot of the points people are making about Nepotism and what not. He wants his son to make it to the NHL, he wants him to make it based on talent and not because he writes the checks. There is probably also a lot of pressure as well and, while his son isn't a top 10 talent, it could be still be hard for him to watch his son potentially fail right under his nose even if he is a way long shot to make it to the NHL.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:41 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I don't see what is wrong with the pick. Family connection picks are made all the time ie Sutter to Calgary. He went right around when he should have according to the rankings. And thirdly he is a localish guy who grew up loving the Flyers. I don't see the problem.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
My friend played against him. Said he is tremendously talented and will be a staple on his college team. Im happy with the pick. Would still rather have had Thrush, Ohman, or Pettersson, but its not as bad as everyone is making it out to be.
You cant be serious. So he's good playing for his local club team, big shocker. Every single player drafted is tremendously talented, especially icompared to kids playing for a local "AA" team. Do you really not get what it takes to be an NHL player? Maybe you dont realize how good these guys really are. If you threw Cote in the best local men's "A" league he would score 3 goals every game without trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Wait so you kill the other picks, but taking the son of the president of the team, obviously reeking of nepotism, is A-OK
Come on GKJ, his friend played against him and he said he's good. He must be legit!

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:52 PM
ConnNJ30

I've gone to school with him for two years. I've seen a lot of his games, and all I have to say about him are great things. He has great size and uses it well. A big shot from the point, an sets up alot of goals from the point. He's a great guy and will definatly be a great guy to have in a locker room. The only bad thing is that he wasn't drafted by the Devils.

ConnNJ30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:04 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Holmgren stated that he didn't make the pick and that it was the scouting staff that made the pick, not him. Holmgren didn't want to select Luukko either. With that being said, the fact is that there is a 6'3, 190 pound defenseman in the system who can skate, has a howitzer of a shot and is going to be on a development path for a minimum of 4 years. If he turns out to be a gamer, then it's a solid pick. If he doesn't turn out, no big deal because it was a 6th round pick. Who cares who his dad is? The guy was probably going to get drafted no matter what.

As for the London Knights owning his rights, I like it. People can hate on the Hunters all they want, but they run a superb hockey program here in London. I've grown up as a fan of the Ottawa 67's, but I really like the program that's being run here in London.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote