HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Characterizing a deal

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2005, 01:51 PM
dedalus

vCash: 500
Characterizing a deal

I'm just looking for quick opinions. No justifications necessary but feel free to post 'em if you got 'em.

In 1992 Philadelphia and Quebec's deal for Eric Lindros was concluded.

For the rights to Lindros, Philadelphia sent to Quebec: Mike Ricci, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Ron Hextall and future considerations (Chris Simon) plus the Flyers' first-round choice in the 1993 entry draft and 1994 entry draft and $15 million US.

Agree or disagree: Because of the money exchanged, it would be fair to say that Philadelphia bought Lindros from the Nordiques.

Old
03-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Frightened Inmate #2

To a certain extent yes.... but the players that the Flyers gave up in the deal were by their own merits significant.

Old
03-27-2005, 03:32 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton Fraser
To a certain extent yes.... but the players that the Flyers gave up in the deal were by their own merits significant.
Thanks for the input.

Hmm ... I'm kind of looking for an agree or disagree on this. Since it's your immediate response, I'll put you down as a "Yes. The Flyers bought Eric Lindros from the Nords."

I should probably be clearer in what I'm asking. I'm not asking for an assessment of the deal. Rather I'm asking for an assessment of the phrase: "The Flyers bought Eric Lindros."

Last edited by dedalus: 03-27-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old
03-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Thanks for the input.

Hmm ... I'm kind of looking for an agree or disagree on this. Since it's your immediate response, I'll put you down as a "Yes. The Flyers bought Eric Lindros from the Nords."

I should probably be clearer in what I'm asking. I'm not asking for an assessment of the deal. Rather I'm asking for an assessment of the phrase: "The Flyers bought Eric Lindros."
Bought Eric Lindros?, more like they just rented him, now that we know how it all panned out.

Old
03-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

What's especially crazy about that deal is how much $15 million got you then compared to now. I think many look back on that deal, see the 15 million, and think "eh", not realizing that in terms of payroll, that's roughly the equivalent to 40 or 50 million today.

Old
03-27-2005, 05:22 PM
iagreewithidiots

Put me down for no.

That was a big package to give up for any player. If it had been spare parts, mid round picks, and cash I would say yes. But with Forsberg, Ricci, and 1st round picks no.

Old
03-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
I'd say no. IMO, this trade is so overrated. I'd look at this to as a restricted free agent signing. That would be $15 million and 5 1st rounders and there were 3 first rounders in the deal including Forsberg. Then I'd look at Mike Ricci, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Ron Hextall as the other 2 first rounders (they're really good picks).

Old
03-27-2005, 09:11 PM
Snap Wilson

The answer is "no." Players are not "bought." What the Philadelphia Flyers purchased was the rights to Lindros pertaining to his playing in the National Hockey League. They did not buy Lindros himself.

Closed Thread