HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Battle of the Bulge/General Fitness

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2010, 01:24 PM
MetroGnome

vCash: 500
I feel so lazy compared to everyone else…

Name: MetroGnome
Sex: F
Height: 5’2”
Weight: 106 lbs
Goal: ~110-112 lbs

Main motivator: I’m thin to begin with, but I’ve always taken advantage of my fast metabolism and never realized how unhealthy I actually am… I thought I could eat whatever I wanted because I never gained weight. (Lately it's been catching up to me, though) In reality, I have terrible cardio endurance. My goal is to live a healthy lifestyle, tone up any unnecessary flab, and drink (a lot) more water.

I am planning on starting a gradual running program that will hopefully increase my lung capacity. My daily meals are generally healthy; however, I indulge way too much in junk food and sweets. So I will put more effort into cutting them out of my diet.

Biggest obstacle ahead: Chips, coffee, and my interest in baking desserts.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:03 PM
twosaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Skates View Post
I agree, and by cut I certainly do not mean bulging muscles, I'd say it's a bit like the statue, with maybe a bit more muscle mass. To me that's a beach body.

Also you have to understand that unless you have some very special genetics, you will not gain enough muscle to turn off men with only the occasional workout. The arms are pretty much the only place you'll risk having noticeable muscles. Squat, Lunge and stiff-legged deadlift are your friends to get great legs and glutes (your rear) and you should try avoiding exercices that work your obliques with heavy weights to keep a good waist to hip ratio .
I've always been self-conscious about my arms, but I've come to accept that I'd rather have muscular arms than flabby arms anyway, so I do exercise them with small weights and alot of kick-boxing routines. I work my legs as much as possible too, particularly with jump training, which is a ***** but awesome for badminton and volleyball, which I play.

Actually, oblique excercises (without weights) have done wonders for my waist and not something I've really worried about. I've got the Marilyn Monroe-esque hip to waist ratio, and having wide hipbones means I can take off inches from my waist with oblique excercises without worrying about my hips to emphasize my hourglass shape. I've just got to make sure I keep the food off my hips

Old
06-29-2010, 02:22 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Not to sidetrack the discussion here, but gaining size doesn't necessarily translate in increasing attraction of the opposite sex.... Toning-up does.... looking like you spend too much time lifting at the gym turns-off a lot of women.

Of course, some women like huge muscles....
I don't agree actually. I've seen some guys with little muscles and cut abs, they look like they're 12. Yes, women want slim, toned guys, for sure. But to say size doesn't count is a BS to me. Seriously, some guys have abs only because they have no meat on their body. Their arms are twigs but they have a cut body. Maybe some girls find that attractive, but most don't. By the same token, a guy who looks like a monster with biceps the size of crosby's legs, yah, unattractive for a girl as well, but it's somewhere in the middle. Most people(who train for size) usually put on a ton of weight and train, then cut down the fat, leaving them with muscles and a more toned physique.

Quote:
Research shows that people who weigh themselves more often are actually in better shape ... getting the habit to never go on the scale can hit you in the but (pun intended
I weigh myself once every 3-4 months lolol unfortunately the research is very accurate!

Old
06-29-2010, 02:37 PM
BadKiwi

I think being ripped is more to please other men then girls.

A girl's preference is so random that you're just better not caring about your body looks and just concentrate on being healthy.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:49 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaineysRightHandMan View Post
There seems to be a few ppl posting on the bulge thread that have conqueered the bulge. Wondering if ppl are interested in having a coaching competition as well - bulge competitors can sign up for 1 coach. If there is any interest, please post.

Team Trent:
Name: Trent/ GaineysRightHandMan
Weight loss history: 5'6". Last year from 35" waist 176 pounds to 30" waist 150 pounds. Average loss: 1 pound / week
Achievment: Started playing hockey at 35; Started running at 35 and in 1 year of taking up the sport, I ran a marathon with a time to qualify for the Boston Marathon (3hrs 15min)
Believer in: PX90 or Body for Life (weights and cardio training); Calorie count.com and its great iphone app. Need to evaluate your current habits (videogames?) and eating habits. Running.
A coaching competition? Someone to keep the participant in check I suppose? While hard to do a coach competition, if you or others are willing to pair with someone, I can see that being a little motivating for the person.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:54 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

help me gain 20 pounds

Old
06-29-2010, 02:54 PM
LyricalLyricist

I updated original post, added participants.

Also, for the participants:

I assume the entries will close within a week or 2. I realize it's summer and not everyone goes on often, so giving a chance for people to come and see and participate. If anyone has any suggestions to the contest, please suggest it and we'll add it if it's good. Anyone have an idea to how long contest should last?

If you have any objections with the lenght till entries close, let me know, just trying to get more people involved before we start.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:58 PM
twosaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
help me gain 20 pounds
Live with an Italian family. Old Italians.

Old
06-29-2010, 03:00 PM
BadKiwi

Do anybody know about good training tips for people with health problems?

I was blessed with a heart and back malformations and found very little resources to help me train intelligently.

My doctor showed me something but it's very expensive, far and specialized only for rehabilitation after surgery.

PS. I find pretty pathetic that the government does not invest more in prevention and that existing gyms are more about cosmetics then anything.

Old
06-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Sharp Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaints View Post
I've always been self-conscious about my arms, but I've come to accept that I'd rather have muscular arms than flabby arms anyway, so I do exercise them with small weights and alot of kick-boxing routines. I work my legs as much as possible too, particularly with jump training, which is a ***** but awesome for badminton and volleyball, which I play.

Actually, oblique excercises (without weights) have done wonders for my waist and not something I've really worried about. I've got the Marilyn Monroe-esque hip to waist ratio, and having wide hipbones means I can take off inches from my waist with oblique excercises without worrying about my hips to emphasize my hourglass shape. I've just got to make sure I keep the food off my hips
Happy to see it's working out for you

But just a little thought:
Oblique exercices do not shrink your waist at all. You will not take off inches from it with oblique exercices. Fat loss will help you take off inches, but weightless oblique exercices will simply make your waist look better and might even give the illusion of it being smaller.

What I meant with my comment was that weighted oblique exercices can widen your waist, so be careful with them!

Old
06-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Sharp Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
Do anybody know about good training tips for people with health problems?

I was blessed with a heart and back malformations and found very little resources to help me train intelligently.

My doctor showed me something but it's very expensive, far and specialized only for rehabilitation after surgery.

PS. I find pretty pathetic that the government does not invest more in prevention and that existing gyms are more about cosmetics then anything.
I'd love to help. How are you limited by those malformations?

Old
06-29-2010, 03:04 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaints View Post
Live with an Italian family. Old Italians.
lol...very true. My grandparents passed away at a very young age(i never really knew them so don't feel bad) so I got limited experience, but my mom took over and when I go to friend's houses...I know the feeling. It never ends, you absolutely need to eat whatever they cooked or they ask you till you say yes.

Old
06-29-2010, 03:07 PM
twosaints

Quote:
Happy to see it's working out for you

But just a little thought:
Oblique exercices do not shrink your waist at all. You will not take off inches from it with oblique exercices. Fat loss will help you take off inches, but weightless oblique exercices will simply make your waist look better and might even give the illusion of it being smaller.

What I meant with my comment was that weighted oblique exercices can widen your waist, so be careful with them!
True, my bad. I guess what I meant to say is my waist looks "tighter", which does also give the semblance of it being smaller. It has shrunk a few inches though since I started training seriously (at which point I included oblique exercises in my routines) so I guess I just attributed that to both eating right and doing the right exercises

Old
06-29-2010, 03:47 PM
tinyzombies

Name: Danny
Sex: M
Height: 5-9
Weight: 188
Goal: 177 (with muscle instead of fat!)
Main motivator: Hockey (gonna work on core and legs mainly)
Biggest obstacle ahead: None. I should be able to do it. Beer maybe, but it's the offseason!

Photo doesn't do me justice. I have a paunch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg‎ (114.2 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by tinyzombies: 06-29-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old
06-29-2010, 03:52 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Name: Danny
Height: 5-9
Weight: 188
Goal: 177 (with muscle instead of fat!)
Main motivator: Hockey
Biggest obstacle ahead: None. I should be able to do it.

Photo doesn't do me justice. I have a paunch.
Added to the list

Old
06-29-2010, 04:06 PM
HotPie

Name: Andrew
Height: 183 cm
Weight: 71 kg
BF%: 8%
Goal: reach a 400 lbs deadlift, 350 lbs squat and 275 lbs bench as well as gaining some mass.

Main motivator: I was tired of being fat so I lost around 20 kgs, and I've been attempting to make strength gains ever since. My gains are stalling though and I realize I need to start eating a lot more, and I could probably add a decent amount of mass to my frame so I'm going for a clean bulk and gaining strength as much as I can.

Ultimately this quest started with me just wanting to be really healthy, to me wanting to be as physically strong as I can possibly be. Also want to start up some Muay Thai and BJJ.

Biggest obstacle: the biggest one we all often face is ourselves. I like to think I got over that one.

Old
06-29-2010, 04:25 PM
BadKiwi

Quote:
I'd love to help. How are you limited by those malformations?
I have been diagnosed with scheuermann's disease for my back. Although I have contradicting diagnosises I tend to beleive this is the most accurate. My only recomendations were to rest often and to sleep on my back. Right now this causes me little to no pain, but I don't want to get worst. If I can get costmetic results it's a plus.

For my heart, I have a bicuspid valve. I know at some point I am going to need surgery to replace my weakened aorta and malfuntioning valve. The most concerning right now is the growth in diameter of my aorta. I have to take a small dose of lotensin every day, this lower's my otherwise normal blood pressure. My doctor strongly suggested that I should not lift anything more then 50 pounds regularly. I need to prevent any type of "intense" effort.

Old
06-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
Name: Louis Houde
Sex: Man
Height: 6’2”
Weight: 265 lbs
Goal: ~215 lbs

Main motivator: I started in june my own weight lost program : 1 hour of treadmill per day(monday to friday), 1000 calories burn @ 15% inclinaison and 4 kilometers walked.
I want my fat burned!

Biggest obstacle ahead: Coffee,beer and my interest in poutine.

Last edited by Louis Houde: 06-29-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old
06-29-2010, 04:44 PM
SB164

Name: SB164
Height: 5'7
Weight: 145
Goal: To gain a little bit more weight (muscle obviously) and then look cut/toned. Quit smoking cigarettes, eat less junk food, and cut down on beer. I've recently noticed a little bit of a gut
Main motivator: I'm still fairly young, so I'd like to get into the early habit of eating healthy, exercising regularly and so on. I'm going on a trip in August and would like to look in better shape by then.
Biggest obstacle ahead: Cigarettes , junk food during work, and beer during the lovely summer.

Is there seriously no way to keep drinking beer moderately (yes even light beer) and still have a flat
stomach or develop, and excuse the pun, a six-pack?

Edit: Anybody think Latendresse will eventually join the Battle of the Bugle?

Old
06-29-2010, 04:54 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't agree actually. I've seen some guys with little muscles and cut abs, they look like they're 12. Yes, women want slim, toned guys, for sure. But to say size doesn't count is a BS to me. Seriously, some guys have abs only because they have no meat on their body. Their arms are twigs but they have a cut body. Maybe some girls find that attractive, but most don't. By the same token, a guy who looks like a monster with biceps the size of crosby's legs, yah, unattractive for a girl as well, but it's somewhere in the middle. Most people(who train for size) usually put on a ton of weight and train, then cut down the fat, leaving them with muscles and a more toned physique.
I guess if we're going to assume that a toned adult man is going to look like a 12 year old than ya, I agree with you ... size matters in this respect.

But the average adult man who eats well and lives an active life style, which includes some training at home, should have a healthy and normal looking adult body.

Old
06-29-2010, 05:13 PM
kevkiranov

Hey, joining the thread as well. Also want to join a gym, but not sure which one, anyone can help? I was looking for a noob-friendly gym, where I could learn how to do exercices properly without having to shell out a ton of money for personnal trainers. I have found close to my area Progym Serge Moreau and Nautilus Plus. I haven't contacted them yet but I was wondering if anyone of you had a prior experience with them to share.

Name: Kev
Sex: Male
Height: 167 cm
Weight: 165 lbs
Goal: Not really to lose weight per se, but more recomp my body to switch body fat to muscle through weight training, nutrition and some cardio. More of a 6 months to 12 months goal in lowering my bodyfat to the low 10s/single digits.
Main motivator: Having a better looking body to be more attractive (Not trying to look like Hulk, but a good toned body) and with a revenge factor on a few exes, show them what they're missing . Revenge is always a powerful tool .
Biggest obstacle ahead: Finding a way to eat enough and balanced enough nutrition-wise to be able to recomp without adding more fat/not making any progress.

Old
06-29-2010, 05:20 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I guess if we're going to assume that a toned adult man is going to look like a 12 year old than ya, I agree with you ... size matters in this respect.

But the average adult man who eats well and lives an active life style, which includes some training at home, should have a healthy and normal looking adult body.
Ideally you need a balance is what I'm saying. If you're gonna mention a freak body builder, the other extreme should be mentioned as well. You should lift weights or do manual labour or at least exercise based on holding your own weight(push ups, pull ups, etc) every now and then. Eating well and cardo is ideal in every case, but you need to some muscle mass as well. I've seen people who brag about their abs but I find it sad, cuz they have no weight, no muscle, no meat on their body. It's like a 10 year old with abs, it doesn't mean ****. I've seen ppl my age(20+) who look like twigs but are 'toned', that is not attractive. That's why i said, muscle plus being toned is better. Not massive muscle mass, but looking a little above the average guy and being toned, is ideal.

Old
06-29-2010, 06:25 PM
tinyzombies

From Dan Ellis's Twitter account:

"RT @BlueCrease: @dellis39 what phases do you go through in your work-out program? Foundation. Strength. Plyometric. Taper down. 4-5 wks ea"

Old
06-29-2010, 06:42 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Ideally you need a balance is what I'm saying. If you're gonna mention a freak body builder, the other extreme should be mentioned as well. You should lift weights or do manual labour or at least exercise based on holding your own weight(push ups, pull ups, etc) every now and then. Eating well and cardo is ideal in every case, but you need to some muscle mass as well. I've seen people who brag about their abs but I find it sad, cuz they have no weight, no muscle, no meat on their body. It's like a 10 year old with abs, it doesn't mean ****. I've seen ppl my age(20+) who look like twigs but are 'toned', that is not attractive. That's why i said, muscle plus being toned is better. Not massive muscle mass, but looking a little above the average guy and being toned, is ideal.

To me a body like this looks artificial. Looks like a person who is trying too hard and spending too much time on his body.

Maybe he's just blessed with good genes... props to him if all it takes is 1 hour a day for 4 days a week to have veins popping out of your forearms after 6 months.

If I wear something fitted or go to the beach, I want to look in shape but not like someone who looks like they're trying hard or "showing off" ... because that's cheesy (IMO).

Again, what's cool to me can be cheesy to others... so it's just my 2 cents.

Natural looking.

Old
06-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
At 5'11 and 165, you're close to deadlifting 500lbs? Are you kidding me?

Mine:
Height: 195cm (6'5'')
Weight: 86kgs @ 8% bf (small bone structure is my excuse)
Goal: 100kgs @ 10% bf
Main motivator: Started with strength but right now I'm going for size.
Biggest obstacle ahead:
325 clean and jerk
400 ATG squat (yes, it is low compared to the C&J)

I've never participated in a thread like this but I'm sure I can give advice superior to that of most personal trainers for whoever needs it . This includes Strength training, athletic training, gaining size (if you're mostly in this for the opposite sex haha), dieting and supplements.
No man, I don't deadlift 500lbs, that's my goal for now. I'm 5'10", not 5'11". I don't think it's unrealistic either, I've seen a 600lbs deadlift at 165.

Last edited by Little Nilan: 06-29-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Closed Thread