HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Christensen re-signs (2yrs @ 925k per), Shelley signs with PHI (3yrs @ 1.1M per)

Old
06-29-2010, 07:16 PM
darko

vCash: 500
If Rangers didnt come calling last year this guy might've been out of NHL. Now he rejects a 2 years deal ... haha yeah very smart move there EC.

He'll either sign a 1 year deal with someone else or come back and ask if that 2 year deal is still on the table.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:16 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
This just baffles me

Does he not think other GM's around the league will look at his play in New York and think well he was playing with Gaborik.

He might get signed but the slightest dip in form or confidence and he could be sitting on waivers wishing he had just signed the 2 yr deal.

Dumb move Ek

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:18 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Best of luck to Christensen. Probably just trying to cash in on his success with Gaborik. Can't blame him.
He'd be far better off trying to cash in by first proving that he can be a consistent player in this league. He's got a great opportunity here and he's throwing it away. Stupid.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:22 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
He is a god damn human being trying to do whats best for him and his family
amazing post, well done, sir

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Yeah dumb move by EC. His value really isn't very high... He has consistency issues that's for sure. Sign Prospal to a reasonable contract for a year or two or try get Lombardi cheap otherwise stay with what we have.

Barbara Underhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
EC continued his excellent play, albeit for a short stint, without Gaborik and then with Gaborik injured. That was actually his best stretch of the season.

With the lack of centers on the market, I won't be surprised if he gets the offer that Sather didn't want to give him through arbitration or something similar. It's certainly not a ludicrous deal. I can understand both sides here, can't blame Sather or EC.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Christensen's looking out for the best of his interests. I'm sure the money is do-able, the term isn't. He more than likely wants a one year deal so he can play his hardest, produce points on the board (because he knows he's playing with Gaborik), and then cash in the next year.

Sather knows that, that's why he wants to give him two years. So he can't produce and run.

Both are looking out for their best interest, and eh, if Christensen does have the balls to eventually not take the two-year offer, I won't be crying myself to sleep. Very replaceable player.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:26 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
At first blush, seems stupid for Christensen. However, what was the offer? If it was for like the league minimum, I could understand. However, he probably won't find a better situation anywhere else.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:26 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
amazing post, well done, sir
Just trying to lighten the mood before Thursday where Sather will do something totally stupid and make us all suicidal.

Its the fear of not knowing

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:27 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
stevezipay

Christensen rejected deal of more than $1.4 over two, probably closer to $1.5

so, ~700K per year.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:27 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
At first blush, seems stupid for Christensen. However, what was the offer? If it was for like the league minimum, I could understand. However, he probably won't find a better situation anywhere else.
Zipay says 1.4-1.5 million on his twitter

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:30 PM
NikC

so glad we're turning a page away from this wimp.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:31 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
What did he expect after being picked up off waivers and then producing a modest 26 points in 49 games (playing with Gaborik for a good part of the time). Just goes to show you how weak offensively the Rangers were at the position that he even got a sniff. The Rangers are better off not signing him. A replaceable player on the first line at a cheap price is still a replaceable player.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:32 PM
DutchShamrock

He nickle and dimes the cheap end players and blows every ounce of savings on overrated complimentary players. I'm not upset about his stance here, it would just be nice to see some consistency.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:32 PM
TomLaidlaw

Someone help me understand why we didn't just qualify him for 750k? He could have proved himself on a one year deal and try for a pay day next year. We would have gotten a motivated top 6 forward (which EC would have been with us) in a contract year for under a mill. Win win for both sides.

I'm not gonna lose sleep over EC going to free agency but this just seems incredibly mishandled. We had a young forward with an impressive skill set who had chemistry with our superstar and we had his rights. All we had to do was qualify him for 250k less than what Patrick Rissmiller makes. We decided not to in an attempt to sign him to a multi-year deal and instead we lose him for nothing.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We should have qualified him.

But it is not a huge deal. Moving on.

Kudos to Brooks on the frequent updates

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:35 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Someone help me understand why we didn't just qualify him for 750k? He could have proved himself on a one year deal and try for a pay day next year. We would have gotten a motivated top 6 forward (which EC would have been with us) in a contract year for under a mill. Win win for both sides.

I'm not gonna lose sleep over EC going to free agency but this just seems incredibly mishandled. We had a young forward with an impressive skill set who had chemistry with our superstar and we had his rights. All we had to do was qualify him for 250k less than what Patrick Rissmiller makes. We decided not to in an attempt to sign him to a multi-year deal and instead we lose him for nothing.
I think they didn't qualify him because he had arbitration rights. Sather prob thought it wasn't worth the risk. I think Burke did the same thing recently with John Mitchell.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:35 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Zipay says 1.4-1.5 million on his twitter
I bet someone gives him $1M, maybe even for multiple years. He might not find himself playing with a superstar like he would be here though, so that's quite a gamble...

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:36 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

have the terms been leaked? I'll withhold judgement until I see the terms. If he was offered 550k w/ a 2 way contract, then he's in the right. If Sather gave him 2 years at 850k, he's a Grade A Duffus.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:39 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I think they didn't qualify him because he had arbitration rights. Sather prob thought it wasn't worth the risk. I think Burke did the same thing recently with John Mitchell.
If he gets awarded a figure in arbitration that we don't like couldn't we just walk away from it like we did with Zherdev?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I bet someone gives him $1M, maybe even for multiple years. He might not find himself playing with a superstar like he would be here though, so that's quite a gamble...
Problem is that I see him struggling to produce in a top six role if he's not really given someone like Gaborik to play with, and that other teams likely have more depth than the Rangers (becaues the Rangers have none!)

I feel like there's a good chance he ends up on the third line for some team, can't produce, can't play good enough D, and gets waived again

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:41 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Someone help me understand why we didn't just qualify him for 750k?
His QO would have been 787,500 actually (I know, big difference )

If they qualified him, he could have elected arbitration. Not sure what kind of money he could have gotten, but I imagine Sather was trying to avoid that.

Old
06-29-2010, 07:44 PM
FOXHOUND*

he had arbitration rights, thats why they didnt qualify him

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
17futurecap

I bet if it went to arbitration he would have asked for 1.2, and the arbitrator would have met in the middle around a million.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GAGLine

Quote:
If he gets awarded a figure in arbitration that we don't like couldn't we just walk away from it like we did with Zherdev?
Yes, but that won't play out for a month or so, depending on when the arbitration hearing is. With Zherdev, Sather didn't wait to see what Zherdev got, instead signing Kotalik. It would probably be the same with Christensen. Best to just cut ties now if that's the way it's gonna be.