HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good luck with Sergei Kostitsyn

Old
06-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
Good luck with Sergei Kostitsyn

I know you guys are probably not many around here, but I thought I'd take the time to congratulate you guys on acquiring Sergei. Around the Habs board, he is persona non grata, and understandably so, he has done quite a few actions to upset the fans, the organisation and his own teammates.

But putting that aside for now, in terms of talent, this kid is a top 6 player guaranteed. He has extremely good hockey sense and knows where and when to be on the ice. It's realistic for him to get 20G-30A at this point if he gets time on the first two lines. In Montreal, whenever he got to play on a good line, he would produce.

He was always a fun player to watch, and if he hadn't taken the route he took trying to force the hand of management into playing him more, he would be a fixture in our line-up. But now he's your player and I think Nashville is a good place for Sergei to start fresh.

Enjoy.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:52 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I know you guys are probably not many around here, but I thought I'd take the time to congratulate you guys on acquiring Sergei. Around the Habs board, he is persona non grata, and understandably so, he has done quite a few actions to upset the fans, the organisation and his own teammates.

But putting that aside for now, in terms of talent, this kid is a top 6 player guaranteed. He has extremely good hockey sense and knows where and when to be on the ice. It's realistic for him to get 20G-30A at this point if he gets time on the first two lines. In Montreal, whenever he got to play on a good line, he would produce.

He was always a fun player to watch, and if he hadn't taken the route he took trying to force the hand of management into playing him more, he would be a fixture in our line-up. But now he's your player and I think Nashville is a good place for Sergei to start fresh.

Enjoy.
Can you give details on what he did?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Can you give details on what he did?
If I recall correctly:

- The whole mafia link with Hamrlik and Andrei Kostitsyn
- Not reporting to camp in the AHL
- Threatening to go back to Russia
- Comes back to camp, and a few weeks later, again threatens to leave the team. Bob Gainey has a talk with him, convincing him he has his place on the Big Club (motivation to stick to the AHL).
- Comes late to practice (media made a huge fuss about it)
- Left practice early
- Feuded with Price (called him out on being a poor teammate)
- None of the Habs line-up cared for Sergei during the playoffs, nobody commented on his situation.
- Publicly stated his displeasure of the Halak trade (maybe a poke at Price)

I think that's it.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:57 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

If he plays with Great players he'll be a good pointer. Just look at his Junior Stats... 131 PTS in 1 season but he was playing with Gagner & Kane. Put him on a first line and he'll rack up points...

Trotz wont take Sergei's crap though so it will be fun to see

And All Jack Bourdain is saying is true

LaurentHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:01 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Well, I guess he will either produce or sit. Let the kid run his mouth around here. No one will give a damn, and he'll realize what it's like to be a prissy punk in a southern town.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:01 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
If I recall correctly:

- The whole mafia link with Hamrlik and Andrei Kostitsyn
Ah yes, the Montreal Mafia, Hells Angels and Montreal's colorful nightlife. Forgot about that.

I HIGHLY doubt he would run into that. Hell, there is a church next door to the Arena. LOL.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:05 PM
coolasprICE

Sergei's biggest problem : EFFORT.

Many reasons as to why:

- Poor training and conditioning
- Low dedication
- Immaturity
- ETC.

He's the type of guy in the real world that would be incapable of holding a job.

But he's got talent. And stupid kids -- on occasion -- grow-up... It's a low risk for you guys considering both Ellis and Boyd would have been gone anyways.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Ah yes, the Montreal Mafia, Hells Angels and Montreal's colorful nightlife. Forgot about that.

I HIGHLY doubt he would run into that. Hell, there is a church next door to the Arena. LOL.
Maybe Sergei will become a priest ?

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
His negatives are overstated. After the mafia thing, he clearly wanted out of Montreal, especially after Martin became coach.

What you get with Sergei Kostitsyn is a very feisty player, even willing to drop the gloves (though he got destroyed for it). His hockey sense and playmaking abilities are jaw breaking sometimes. He had the best amongst Habs prospects since Koivu (well, Markov, but he's a defenceman). Notice I didn't say Ribeiro, that's because Ribeiro's the kind of player you barely notice a game but ends up with 3 assists. You will notice Kostitsyn's assists because his passes are sick.

Realistically, I can't tell you the type of production you can expect for him. He's a high potential forward, but it'll depend on him. I think you'll all be very surprised next year. He was a fan favorite his rookie year in Montreal, I hope you get to see why, when he's on, he's an awesome player.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Of course.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:26 PM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Nashville is quite a different town than Montreal. Maybe it'll be good for the kid.

CF Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Of course.
When compared to the Montreal board...he's right. We have more lurkers than active posters. I know. I talk to people all the time that tell me they lurk, but don't post!

In this case, it might actually be a good thing though because I think Radulov would have had as many problems as SK did if the situations were reversed. Montreal is an incredibly difficult city to play in. Everywhere you go, everything you do is reported by the media. Everyone knows who you are. That's not the case in Nashville where celebrities from all walks of life live throughout the community and are treated as neighbors and friends and let alone to live their life.

It's actually a selling point for Nashville that I've heard many players discuss. Even Scotty Nichol mentioned it recently in an interview from San Jose...

I think SK has a legitimate chance of working out here and boy, what a steal that would be...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

If Sergei flourishs he could become a Hell of a player. He has all the tools to be succeed. He has that swagger about him and if he could carry that in his production, Nashville would have a solid player.

Also Nashville seems to me like it would be the kind of place that he could more free to express his talent because they can give him the ice time of playing on the first two lines.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:42 PM
sighthndlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
Maybe Sergei will become a priest ?
OMG you have no idea how funny that is. The church next door is Nashville's very own landmark First Baptist. No priests there (Catholics might not really even be Christians, you know)

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:45 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
OMG you have no idea how funny that is. The church next door is Nashville's very own landmark First Baptist. No priests there (Catholics might not really even be Christians, you know)
Y'all Protestants still protesting against Catholicism?

And don't forget the other (former) church across 5th and Broadway ... the Ryman.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Stradale

If the coach use him on the top 2 lines, Sergei will become a pretty good player for you guys. After the mafia thing, which in reality, was pretty much nothing but the media here in Montreal made a big fuss about it since that, Sergei's play went downhill.

Sergei Kostitsyn is a pretty good player overall. He may not be the biggest guy but his vision and passing skill is great. On the top 2 line and PP time, he will easily be one of your best forwards.

I have a question though. After seeing your roster, who will be the top 2 center for next season now that Arnott is gone?

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:13 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
If the coach use him on the top 2 lines, Sergei will become a pretty good player for you guys. After the mafia thing, which in reality, was pretty much nothing but the media here in Montreal made a big fuss about it since that, Sergei's play went downhill.

Sergei Kostitsyn is a pretty good player overall. He may not be the biggest guy but his vision and passing skill is great. On the top 2 line and PP time, he will easily be one of your best forwards.

I have a question though. After seeing your roster, who will be the top 2 center for next season now that Arnott is gone?

Wilson will be the first line C. Legwand will most likely be the 2nd C. O'reilly has a small chance to earn it but I see Goc gettting it before him.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Montreal is a place where some relatively harmless immaturity can really grow legs and sprint. Despite everybody trashing Sergei as worthless, 68 points in 158 games on a player just turned 23 is pretty good stuff. And Sergei isn't just a floaty offensive guy either, he plays with the same chip on his shoulder on the ice that gets him into trouble off it, he'll hit and even fight, he has shown he can be a PK player down the road.

It's funny how things have ballooned out of all proportion on him in the past 18 months or so. We never talk about it anymore, but back when he was ripping it up in London, it was all sunshine and lollipops and there were articles about how Sergei was loved by his teammates, how he was such a personable guy, how he was so appreciated for his two-way play despite the big numbers, etc.

But there's a flip side to being a star player in London too. A guy like Sergei coming from a pretty well-off background, not a lot of good players in Belarus, on to London where the stars were getting 30 minutes and encouraged to run up scores and pad personal stats and have less accountability maybe than in some other systems... straight onto the Habs as a 20-year old with only a brief two-month apprenticeship in the minors... it's not exactly the path that too many kids get exposed to on their way up. Most have to battle through more adversity.

Sergei really could have been playing top-6 in the NHL the last couple years. He has the talent, and he's ready to explode. But he just didn't get a chance to settle in to a rhythm with the Habs. Not a lot of young players get that chance, however. Sergei was accustomed to skipping grades, however, and he wasn't equipped to deal with being set back onto the "normal" path for a young forward in the NHL. His immaturity has cost him. The kicker is that he really is good enough to play... he knows it, we know it, but he just didn't have the humility/maturity to put his nose to the grindstone and accept NHL justice.

I don't know how to expect him to suddenly mature more, or to think that Trotz is the guy to give him the free passes that he seems to need. But he's a good player, and if either or both sides can move to the middle to some degree, the Preds are going to get a good player out of the deal, I believe.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:31 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Very few priests in these here Southern parts. We call 'em Preachers round here.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:40 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
He may not be the biggest guy but his vision and passing skill is great. On the top 2 line and PP time, he will easily be one of your best forwards.
Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner! Vision, passing, PP skillset. Fantastic potential where we need it most. Just can't see Trotz handling him with kid gloves.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:58 PM
dulzhok

Can anyone name a player who scored less than 10 goals his first 3 NHL seasons and went onto become a good scoringline player?

Not saying it hasn't happened, but I sure can't think of one...

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Can anyone name a player who scored less than 10 goals his first 3 NHL seasons and went onto become a good scoringline player?

Not saying it hasn't happened, but I sure can't think of one...
Change the question to less than 68 NHL points while on his ELC / less than 24 NHL goals before his 23rd birthday / etc. Then pull up the numbers for Erat, Dumont, Sullivan... ?

A lot of guys aren't in the NHL in the those first 3 seasons.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:16 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Change the question to less than 68 NHL points while on his ELC / less than 24 NHL goals before his 23rd birthday / etc. Then pull up the numbers for Erat, Dumont, Sullivan... ?

A lot of guys aren't in the NHL in the those first 3 seasons.
Point taken, but there are still plenty who play in the NHL right away... Legwand, Hartenll, Upshall, and many many more not in our organization...

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:35 AM
ClasslessGuy

Kostitsyn declaration since yesterdey night: Evan Gretzky was traded...

Seriously good luck with SK he is a gem in a big piece of sh**

He have a good vision and was starting to play well on PK. He play like a thug, and try to fight sometimes (Grabovski for Toronto owned him last time)

But what can you loose trying? Good trade for both team!

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:02 AM
smitty10

Nashville is the perfect place for S. Kostitsyn to shine. Small town, good organization and the exact opposite environment of Montreal. You'd have to assume that his brother will be on his way out now as well and heck maybe the Preds could grab him for next to nothing.

If Nashville can sign him then they definately got a steal, especially for guys who weren't going to resign anyways.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote