HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Battle of the Bulge/General Fitness

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2010, 07:38 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

vCash: 500
Here are 2 pictures... I don't really have goals. I'm kinda happy with all my lifts, my squat is weak but I'm happy about my deadlift and my leg speed enough that it makes it up for the weaker squat imo. I'm keeping arround 8% bodyfat year round, I might oscillate between 7.5% and 9% most of the time. I've never trained for mass nor getting ripped, except for one cycle two christmas ago, the rest of the time it's just for fun and performance. I just love working out. So I eat clean and I go to the gym and do whatever I feel like doing that day, that's pretty much it. I'm bored though, I'd like to set new goals. But I'm happy with kinda everything.

Last edited by ChemiseBleuHonnete: 03-22-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old
06-29-2010, 07:53 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Name: Stephen
Sex: M
Height:5'9''
Weight: 145 @ 6% Fat
Goal: 155 without getting fat.
Main motivator: I've always been scrawny, but I have a lot of skill in sports, I want to get the physical to match. Also, it gives me something positive to work on until school starts.
Biggest obstacle ahead: Beer, bad drinking, laziness, quitting.
Plan: Not quite sure yet, I'm going to get some upper body strength workouts mostly, my lower body is somehow already in shape. Weird.

Here's me. This is like two weeks ago. I have no sober pictures without my guitar. But you can get the gist of what I'm trying to do.

Last edited by InglewoodJack: 06-29-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old
06-29-2010, 07:54 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Here are 2 pictures... I don't really have goals. I'm kinda happy with all my lifts, my squat is weak but I'm happy about my deadlift and my leg speed enough that it makes it up for the weaker squat imo. I'm keeping arround 8% bodyfat year round, I might oscillate between 7.5% and 9% most of the time. I've never trained for mass nor getting ripped, except for one cycle two christmas ago, the rest of the time it's just for fun and performance. I just love working out. So I eat clean and I go to the gym and do whatever I feel like doing that day, that's pretty much it. I'm bored though, I'd like to set new goals. But I'm happy with kinda everything.
So what you're saying is... that you're bragging?

Old
06-29-2010, 07:58 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
So what you're saying is... that you're bragging?
About what exactly?! Seriously, what's wrong with the fact that I have no real goals to acheive because I'm perfectly happy with everything?

Old
06-29-2010, 08:08 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
About what exactly?! Seriously, what's wrong with the fact that I have no real goals to acheive because I'm perfectly happy with everything?
Well, for starters you posted that in the thread for people who want to try to improve their physique.

That's like entering AA with a bottle of Ketel, saying how you're perfectly trained in drinking, and that you're happy with your drinking habits.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:19 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Well, for starters you posted that in the thread for people who want to try to improve their physique.

That's like entering AA with a bottle of Ketel, saying how you're perfectly trained in drinking, and that you're happy with your drinking habits.
Well, I see your point now. I gotta admit it's perfectly legitimate too. Maybe I didn't express my thoughts well enough. No, I'm not bragging. I don't even care about how I look. But, the thing is, I really love working out and I'm kinda bored right now. I don't know what to do and I'm ready for something new. I want to improve too, just like everyone else here, it's just that it won't be about fat loss. And I can be of great help too, I know quite a lot about fat loss, training and dieting.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:22 PM
maxpower2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

To me a body like this looks artificial. Looks like a person who is trying too hard and spending too much time on his body.

Maybe he's just blessed with good genes... props to him if all it takes is 1 hour a day for 4 days a week to have veins popping out of your forearms after 6 months.

If I wear something fitted or go to the beach, I want to look in shape but not like someone who looks like they're trying hard or "showing off" ... because that's cheesy (IMO).

Again, what's cool to me can be cheesy to others... so it's just my 2 cents.

Natural looking.
Well the top picture isn't reality. He's a model who is likely being pictured after getting a pump, with said picture getting photoshopped with lighting and other effects.

Genes play a part of it, and with that comes somatotyping. Endo-Ecto-Meso.. whatever, that discussion could go on for ages.

Now I remember reading a few years back that most women consider Brad Pitt's build in Fight Club to be the ideal body type for their mate. But to be fair, the Brad Pitt physique in Fight Club is almost just as unrealistic as the underwear model. While you think that's natural looking, he was carrying an almost unhealthily low amount of body fat for that movie (around 5%). I'm no Kin major but I don't think it's safe to stay at that number for long. Even then, Pitt had to bust his ass to get that physique.

Anyways, women don't care how much time you spend in the gym if the results pay off. You can go for 90 minutes a day and still end up less jacked than someone who goes 45 minutes a day. Reason being that what's almost equally important when it comes to getting in shape happens out of the gym. The lifestyle you lead will dictate whether the time you put into the gym pays off or not. Eating well, sleeping well, not smoking, avoiding drugs and moderating alcohol use along with being a motivated and dedicated contribute to a lifestyle that women typically find attractive. It just so happens that it's also conducive to getting in really good shape (again, if you put in some time at the gym).

Old
06-29-2010, 08:37 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2010 View Post
Well the top picture isn't reality. He's a model who is likely being pictured after getting a pump, with said picture getting photoshopped with lighting and other effects.

Genes play a part of it, and with that comes somatotyping. Endo-Ecto-Meso.. whatever, that discussion could go on for ages.

Now I remember reading a few years back that most women consider Brad Pitt's build in Fight Club to be the ideal body type for their mate. But to be fair, the Brad Pitt physique in Fight Club is almost just as unrealistic as the underwear model. While you think that's natural looking, he was carrying an almost unhealthily low amount of body fat for that movie (around 5%). I'm no Kin major but I don't think it's safe to stay at that number for long. Even then, Pitt had to bust his ass to get that physique.

Anyways, women don't care how much time you spend in the gym if the results pay off. You can go for 90 minutes a day and still end up less jacked than someone who goes 45 minutes a day. Reason being that what's almost equally important when it comes to getting in shape happens out of the gym. The lifestyle you lead will dictate whether the time you put into the gym pays off or not. Eating well, sleeping well, not smoking, avoiding drugs and moderating alcohol use along with being a motivated and dedicated contribute to a lifestyle that women typically find attractive. It just so happens that it's also conducive to getting in really good shape (again, if you put in some time at the gym).
Well, the guy going 45 minutes per day is going to end up better looking since going for too long is counter-productive. Actually 45 minutes is closer to the sweet-spot than 90 minutes.

As for the pictures, you're absolutely right. The first one is a model who probably played with carbs and salt to get ripped for that exact photoshoot, and it's highly manipulated with lightning. Having a good tan, like Pitt in fightclub also helps tremendously in order to look bigger and more ripped.

As for carrying a low bodyfat for extended time periods, it is indeed unhealthy. Especially the kind of bodyfat that bodybuilders reach for their shows. As for Pitt in fightclub, there's no way he's at 5%... More like 6.5% going by eye.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Hey....I'm a Leafs fan, will you guys kill me if I join this thread? Cause I really like the idea of doing this. Feel free to delete my post if this is just for Habs fans.

Name: Izaak/Paradis City
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 188 lbs
Goal: 175 lbs
Main motivator: Too much flab around middle, I want to be able to take my shirt off and not feel like a fatass
Biggest obstacle ahead: Sticking with the plan, drinking lots of water and not relapsing into my usual pop-drinking chip-eating self. At one point I was 160 lbs, and then I went to university and the rest is history. I used to be able to run over 10k on a whim, now it takes much more effort although I can still do it. I would love to get back to that point.

Cheers!

Old
06-29-2010, 09:00 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Name: Stephen
Height:5'''
Weight: 145 @ 6% Fat
Goal: 155 without getting fat.
Main motivator: I've always been scrawny, but I have a lot of skill in sports, I want to get the physical to match. Also, it gives me something positive to work on until school starts.
Biggest obstacle ahead: Beer, bad drinking, laziness, quitting.
Plan: Not quite sure yet, I'm going to get some upper body strength workouts mostly, my lower body is somehow already in shape. Weird.

Here's me. This is like two weeks ago. I have no sober pictures without my guitar. But you can get the gist of what I'm trying to do.
Just to make sure, are you really 5 foot even? Because at this height, 145 lbs with 6% bodyfat would look really huge, no kidding. Also, are you sure about the 6% bodyfat, because that might be lower than both the model and Brad Pitt on the pictures that have been posted, and it's about a full 2% lower than me and I'm already, to put it this way, not carrying a lot of fat...

Old
06-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Sharp Skates

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2010 View Post

Thank you for saving me the time

Old
06-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Well, the guy going 45 minutes per day is going to end up better looking since going for too long is counter-productive. Actually 45 minutes is closer to the sweet-spot than 90 minutes.

As for the pictures, you're absolutely right. The first one is a model who probably played with carbs and salt to get ripped for that exact photoshoot, and it's highly manipulated with lightning. Having a good tan, like Pitt in fightclub also helps tremendously in order to look bigger and more ripped.

As for carrying a low bodyfat for extended time periods, it is indeed unhealthy. Especially the kind of bodyfat that bodybuilders reach for their shows. As for Pitt in fightclub, there's no way he's at 5%... More like 6.5% going by eye.
Does the workout time matter really that much? And at what point does the workout begin?

I mean, say I'm squatting and I go up in weight as a warm up. Does my workout start at the warm up or at my first work set? If it starts at my warm up, I just wasted 10-15minutes. And would cardio after training count in the 45 minutes?

I usually go 1h - 1h10 after warm up, is that too much? Does it even matter? I'm like you btw, I just like sports and training.

And Pitt looks like he's 150lbs in that pic lol, at most.

Old
06-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:

Who cares man. Look at the thread title /General fitness.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:03 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

To me a body like this looks artificial. Looks like a person who is trying too hard and spending too much time on his body.

Maybe he's just blessed with good genes... props to him if all it takes is 1 hour a day for 4 days a week to have veins popping out of your forearms after 6 months.

If I wear something fitted or go to the beach, I want to look in shape but not like someone who looks like they're trying hard or "showing off" ... because that's cheesy (IMO).

Again, what's cool to me can be cheesy to others... so it's just my 2 cents.

Natural looking.
I think it's irrelevant. I said they need to have muscle mass, you can see both have reasonably sized arms. In any case, the 2nd guy clearly did weight lifting, which solidifies my point. Without some balanced training, you won't look like either, and much more scrawny.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:04 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradis City View Post
Hey....I'm a Leafs fan, will you guys kill me if I join this thread? Cause I really like the idea of doing this. Feel free to delete my post if this is just for Habs fans.

Name: Izaak/Paradis City
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 188 lbs
Goal: 175 lbs
Main motivator: Too much flab around middle, I want to be able to take my shirt off and not feel like a fatass
Biggest obstacle ahead: Sticking with the plan, drinking lots of water and not relapsing into my usual pop-drinking chip-eating self. At one point I was 160 lbs, and then I went to university and the rest is history. I used to be able to run over 10k on a whim, now it takes much more effort although I can still do it. I would love to get back to that point.

Cheers!
No problem, leafs fans are allowed. However, that being said, you won't win, leafs don't win anything Jk, good luck!

Old
06-29-2010, 10:20 PM
LyricalLyricist

Anyone have a workout routine in place they'd like to share?

I got mine, I just made it. Keep in mind I haven't done exercise in a LONG time, and this is my plan for month one. Also, I don't go to the gym, this is from home so I have limited weights and exercises available.

I alternative between the following:

Treadmill=15 min run(not jog)
Barbell Bench Press 3 Sets-5 Reps
Squats 3 Sets-10 Reps
Bar Upright Row 3 Sets-5 Reps
Push Ups 3 Sets-10 Reps
One-Arm Row 3 Sets-5 Reps

Treadmill=20 minutes
Sit Ups 3 Sets-10 Reps
Dumbbell Biceps Curl 3 Sets-10 Reps
Dumbbell Reverse Curl 3 Sets-10 Reps
Dumbbell Upright Row 3 Sets-10 Reps

It doesn't seem like much, cuz it isn't. I go to school during the day so I don't really wanna do high intensity workouts. However this goes from monday to saturday. Sunday is option day of rest or straight up cardio/sports.

I realize there should be a break between days of exercise but like I said, I put less reps and sets and I'm doing it everyday. This isn't a plan to get bigger or whatever. I'm merely trying to get myself in shape for more intense workout routines on alternate days. I felt the best way to achieve this was to do a little everyday and prepare for higher intensity next month.

I love soft drinks, coke, pepsi, etc... I'm avoiding them, mostly limiting myself and deciding to go with water. I'm avoiding fast food places as well. I won't remove say a burger from my diet, but I'd rather make it myself on BBQ then go to mcdonalds. Usually, I try to go for fresh grilled chicken though.

Any suggestions to improve this?

Old
06-29-2010, 10:26 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I think it's irrelevant. I said they need to have muscle mass, you can see both have reasonably sized arms. In any case, the 2nd guy clearly did weight lifting, which solidifies my point. Without some balanced training, you won't look like either, and much more scrawny.
I wasn't saying weight training was useless ... but I think a home work-out with dumb-bells and a bench is sufficient. Throw in a pull-up bar, and The Perfect push-up you can get from GNC or Walmart and you're on your way to a decent body... one that looks natural and less "pumped" and artificial.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:29 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I wasn't saying weight training was useless ... but I think a home work-out with dumb-bells and a bench is sufficient. Throw in a pull-up bar, and The Perfect push-up you can get from GNC or Walmart and you're on your way to a decent body... one that looks natural and less "pumped" and artificial.
I can agree with that. Nothing major needs to be done, but a little lifting would be a good idea.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:42 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
Does the workout time matter really that much? And at what point does the workout begin?

I mean, say I'm squatting and I go up in weight as a warm up. Does my workout start at the warm up or at my first work set? If it starts at my warm up, I just wasted 10-15minutes. And would cardio after training count in the 45 minutes?

I usually go 1h - 1h10 after warm up, is that too much? Does it even matter? I'm like you btw, I just like sports and training.
Well, you know that I'm a science guy. But I don't know how much what I'm going to say is backed up by science this time, and to be honest, I've had enough first-hand proof to make my opinion on this.

I remember we had a really good lecture about this from one of the best, and the best paid too, personal trainer in the province. The guy has a good scientific background, he's no slouch but he's known to be good because he delivers results like no other. He gets results, period. This is a mindset that I really appreciated, because, well results matter in the end, no? Well, he said, maximum 50-55 minutes, excluding a short warm-up and cool-down is the way to go. Actually, he said that a 50-55 minute workout should be optimal if we're aiming for body composition, so this is including warmups and everything . The premise of the concept is the hormonal response of our body. It made sense, but what made all this even better is that, we actually get results this way, every single time. We have people not progressing with 1 h 30 workouts, then we put them on a 50 minute workout and bam, it works. We see that so often that I don't even need to look through scientific studies to back this up imo.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:47 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Just to make sure, are you really 5 foot even? Because at this height, 145 lbs with 6% bodyfat would look really huge, no kidding. Also, are you sure about the 6% bodyfat, because that might be lower than both the model and Brad Pitt on the pictures that have been posted, and it's about a full 2% lower than me and I'm already, to put it this way, not carrying a lot of fat...
Woops, I mean 5'9''

Well, I did a few tests. I'm in good shape, and I don't really have any fat hanging anywhere.

Old
06-30-2010, 12:21 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Woops, I mean 5'9''

Well, I did a few tests. I'm in good shape, and I don't really have any fat hanging anywhere.
Well, me too lol. I actually got it tested with a caliper a couple of times. I've never been tested under 7.5%. 7.5 is actually very low!

By the way, the best way to track progress is to measure your skinfolds with a caliper. The cheap one are actually much better than one could think! I've never seen any difference between them and the most expensive one.

IMO, the best way to track progress, and this is what I'm going to do, is to measure your skinfolds yourself with the same caliper everytime. Do not put the numbers in any formula, only focus on the sum of the skinfolds and don't try to convert it in fat percentage with a formula, this is where in the process that we lose all the accuracy. Tracking your progross this way ensure that there's as little bias as possible because it's always the same tool and the same person doing the measure.

Old
06-30-2010, 12:27 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Anyone have a workout routine in place they'd like to share?

I got mine, I just made it. Keep in mind I haven't done exercise in a LONG time, and this is my plan for month one. Also, I don't go to the gym, this is from home so I have limited weights and exercises available.

I alternative between the following:

Treadmill=15 min run(not jog)
Barbell Bench Press 3 Sets-5 Reps
Squats 3 Sets-10 Reps
Bar Upright Row 3 Sets-5 Reps
Push Ups 3 Sets-10 Reps
One-Arm Row 3 Sets-5 Reps

Treadmill=20 minutes
Sit Ups 3 Sets-10 Reps
Dumbbell Biceps Curl 3 Sets-10 Reps
Dumbbell Reverse Curl 3 Sets-10 Reps
Dumbbell Upright Row 3 Sets-10 Reps

It doesn't seem like much, cuz it isn't. I go to school during the day so I don't really wanna do high intensity workouts. However this goes from monday to saturday. Sunday is option day of rest or straight up cardio/sports.

I realize there should be a break between days of exercise but like I said, I put less reps and sets and I'm doing it everyday. This isn't a plan to get bigger or whatever. I'm merely trying to get myself in shape for more intense workout routines on alternate days. I felt the best way to achieve this was to do a little everyday and prepare for higher intensity next month.

I love soft drinks, coke, pepsi, etc... I'm avoiding them, mostly limiting myself and deciding to go with water. I'm avoiding fast food places as well. I won't remove say a burger from my diet, but I'd rather make it myself on BBQ then go to mcdonalds. Usually, I try to go for fresh grilled chicken though.

Any suggestions to improve this?

Good stuff, but i'd suggest a 3 day split. I usually do something like Chest + biceps on day 1, legs + triceps on day 2, and back + shoulders/traps on day 3. All days with cardio. You don't wanna work the same muscle groups 2 days in a row, they need enough time to recuperate before you work them out again (even if you don't plan on doing huge amounts of weight). Hope this helps.

edit: and it doesn't matter if you miss a day, just continue the plan. If you miss day two, just do your day 2 the next day you can go to the gym.

Old
06-30-2010, 12:59 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Good stuff, but i'd suggest a 3 day split. I usually do something like Chest + biceps on day 1, legs + triceps on day 2, and back + shoulders/traps on day 3. All days with cardio. You don't wanna work the same muscle groups 2 days in a row, they need enough time to recuperate before you work them out again (even if you don't plan on doing huge amounts of weight). Hope this helps.

edit: and it doesn't matter if you miss a day, just continue the plan. If you miss day two, just do your day 2 the next day you can go to the gym.
I believe I do 110 lbs or something with the barbell(i need to buy more weights I know).
25 lbs dumbbell.

I'm one of those guys that is stronger than sum of all his parts. In the gym, I would probably suck. Outside of the gym, i'm stronger than most people. I can handle the weights without issue, It's just a matter of learning to have a more consistent endurance strenght wise and cardio wise. So i'm playing around with lower weights to start a base. I assume in a month i'll either adds reps/sets. In another month i'll alter exercises to make sure my body doesn't adjust too easily.

Not sure if i'll split into groups. I want to try and get a base before school starts. Once fall hits I doubt I have much time to do it everyday so I'll get proper rest then. Pushing myself a bit for the summer won't hurt. I feel no soreness or whatever. So it isn't really a problem if I make sure I don't over do it. Maybe i'll mix it up just the same, I'll see.

Old
06-30-2010, 05:49 AM
denace

Good thread !

Here goes:

Sex:M
Height:6'2
Weight:242 lbs

My physique is kinda weird. I have ectomorph arms, and an endomorph belly and chest, and muscular legs

I want to improve my strenght and stamina and I want to weigh 198 lbs with 10% bodyfat. I want to feel fit and look fit. i want to achieve a fit look, with definition, but not totally ripped. I'm getting my bodyfat measured next friday...I`m guessing 30 something

I want to do all that within a year...pics will follow soon

Old
06-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Little Nilan

Quote:

No power rack? Train your legs guys, you guys not training legs look ridiculous. Even if you think your legs are fine.

Quote:
Well, you know that I'm a science guy. But I don't know how much what I'm going to say is backed up by science this time, and to be honest, I've had enough first-hand proof to make my opinion on this.

I remember we had a really good lecture about this from one of the best, and the best paid too, personal trainer in the province. The guy has a good scientific background, he's no slouch but he's known to be good because he delivers results like no other. He gets results, period. This is a mindset that I really appreciated, because, well results matter in the end, no? Well, he said, maximum 50-55 minutes, excluding a short warm-up and cool-down is the way to go. Actually, he said that a 50-55 minute workout should be optimal if we're aiming for body composition, so this is including warmups and everything . The premise of the concept is the hormonal response of our body. It made sense, but what made all this even better is that, we actually get results this way, every single time. We have people not progressing with 1 h 30 workouts, then we put them on a 50 minute workout and bam, it works. We see that so often that I don't even need to look through scientific studies to back this up imo.
I've had no results on 50 minute workouts and lots of results on high volume, 1h15 minute workouts . It does make sense, but it seems there are too many variables for a one size fits all.

Closed Thread