HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Christensen re-signs (2yrs @ 925k per), Shelley signs with PHI (3yrs @ 1.1M per)

Old
06-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

vCash: 500
Just give EC a 2 years worth $2 mill... Is that too much?

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:12 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
EC won't be a Ranger if he tests the market and realizes he can't get much more. Would your boss give you your job back if you left seeking greener pastures and couldnt find them?
Pro sports isn't exactly full of your average jobs, and the Rangers are in a position where they really need a cheap stop-gap center they can stick on the first line.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:12 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Honestly, Eric Christensen as our first line C is hard to accept. Even if he only costs 1 million dollars. And I was impressed with his hustle last season. I thought he played well.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:13 PM
emodwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
So when you combine Brashear 1.4 mill cap hit that we are on the hook for with Shelleys possible 850k hit. We are dedicating 2.25 mill of our cap to the enforcer role. When we could have just re-signed Orr for 1mill per for 4 years and he is 10 years younger and already one of the best in the league at punching people in the face. Love it.
Sather screwed up by signing Brashear to a 2 year deal. But the intent was good, especially for what Torts was looking for out of a 4th liner - actually able to skate and play hockey. I liked Orr, but Brashear should have been an upgrade in a lot of ways. Yes, Orr is a good heavyweight fighter. But that's pretty much all he can do.

We just unfortunately got a Brashear who had deteriorated over the summer, apparently.

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Blazephr

pure stupidity on his part. He should just grab what he can right now, centering for Gabby for the next 2 years. His stats would be inflated...therefore he'd garner more money in the long run. Just look at the money Washington threw at Nylander after a couple of years of working with Jagr.

Plain dumb.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:22 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
pure stupidity on his part. He should just grab what he can right now, centering for Gabby for the next 2 years. His stats would be inflated...therefore he'd garner more money in the long run. Just look at the money Washington threw at Nylander after a couple of years of working with Jagr.

Plain dumb.
Even if EC put up 60 points this season, I really doubt he centers Gaborik the 2nd year.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:22 PM
DrAStuart

Its true that the Rangers gave EC a shot...but he also did pretty well with the shot they gave him.
It worked well for both sides, I think.

What I don't get is that when all is said and done, Sather basically offered him a no raise 2 year deal...everyone is saying 'he should kiss Sather's ass' for everything NYR did for him. But respect cuts both ways -- EC is undoubtedly grateful for the chance he got and he's said so. That offer says to Erik: "You can come back, but we really don't think much of you and we can't even be bothered to try to hide that."
That's kind of hard to swallow from a team that might be paying out almost 10X that offer for a guy to play in the AHL....
I can't blame EC for turning the offer down...it might not work out for him with another team and he might go to Europe, but I think that's better than saying, "Yes, Mr. Sather I'd like to work my ass for you in your transition period for no raise and an ax over my head."
This is just shabby, shabby treatment on Sather's part....

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:24 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I'm kind of disgusted by my fellow Rangers fans this off-season.

Sure, I want McD to just sign already.
--- But I'm not misconstruing every lame media report of out-of-context quotes about playing at school and crying that he's a self-entitled little brat who should be traded before his stock plummets.

Sure, I thought we could have done better with our #10 pick than McIlrath.
--- But I'm actually pretty psyched to see what he can do and don't think it was a terrible selection; just surprised to see him go that high.

Sure, I don't think EC has earned much leverage and that he kind of should be grateful that Sather and the NYR helped him get back on track.
--- But I'm not going to be all "screw you! don't let the door hit you on the way out" when he refuses a very marginal offer. Even if he only puts up 45 points, he'll still likely be around 4th on the team and easily worth the 250k more or so it would have taken to lock him up.

Sure, I'm worried a little when I hear there's a "chasm" between Staal and management at this point in the contract negotiations.
--- But I don't think Staal's a greedy shark and I'm not ready to turn on him.

And on, and on...

Every thing that has happened this off-season has been met by ugly, knee jerk reactions from the majority of this board. Get a grip. Any player who doesn't sign in NY for the price you want them to, when you want them to is a major a-hole to you guys. Reeeelax.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Vitto79

Oh well, I would of liked him back but Sather is going to get only the best deals he can to fill out the roster

To be honest I am ok with this given what I see as the lineup

I think they somehow get a #1 C. Lets say its Richards by some miracle from Dallas

Richards
Anisimov
Drury
Boyle

I think thats the plan and somehow they will come up with a way

I think Armstrong and Christiensen go back to Pittsburgh

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Surprising, but oh well.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Chris 84

I hate Sather. This is ludicrous. Why can't we give him more than this pathetic offer? We have spent crazy money on so many sub standard players over the years and now he can't give Christensen more? They are offerring ten times less than what Drury's on. **** you Sather! Dreadful move, as stupid as letting Betts walk.

I hope he gets a good deal somewhere. Farcical that this man is our GM. Why some fans are happy about this is beyond me.

Chris 84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:50 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
Its true that the Rangers gave EC a shot...but he also did pretty well with the shot they gave him.
It worked well for both sides, I think.

What I don't get is that when all is said and done, Sather basically offered him a no raise 2 year deal...everyone is saying 'he should kiss Sather's ass' for everything NYR did for him. But respect cuts both ways -- EC is undoubtedly grateful for the chance he got and he's said so. That offer says to Erik: "You can come back, but we really don't think much of you and we can't even be bothered to try to hide that."
That's kind of hard to swallow from a team that might be paying out almost 10X that offer for a guy to play in the AHL....
I can't blame EC for turning the offer down...it might not work out for him with another team and he might go to Europe, but I think that's better than saying, "Yes, Mr. Sather I'd like to work my ass for you in your transition period for no raise and an ax over my head."
This is just shabby, shabby treatment on Sather's part....
Korpikoski made just over 1 mil in 2008-09. Maloney traded for him and then gave him a 2 year deal for 700k per year. Did Maloney treat him poorly?

Sather doesn't owe EC anything. And EC doesn't owe Sather anything. But if Christensen thinks he's gonna get a better deal elsewhere, he's fooling himself. His best chance to improve his worth and actually stick in the NHL is to play the next 2 years with the Rangers. Pretty much anywhere else he goes he'll be playing 3rd line minutes and his numbers will suffer for it.

I'm sorry, but EC is 26 years old, scored 26 points in 49 games, playing much of the time with Gaborik. He was waived twice last year and he's been on 4 teams in 3 years. In what world does he deserve a raise? You'd think he'd just be happy to stick with the same team for more than 1 year. But what do I know. Maybe he prefers the AHL.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:50 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Good lord...is this what our fan base has come too...

Are we really at the point where losing Eric Freakin' Christiansen is going to cause people to lose sleep?

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Good lord...is this what our fan base has come too...

Are we really at the point where losing Eric Freakin' Christiansen is going to cause people to lose sleep?
It's bad decision after bad decision that is infuriating.

Like it or not Erc Freakin' Christensen was one of our best players once he arrived.

Chris 84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:01 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post

Like it or not Erc Freakin' Christensen was one of our best players once he arrived.
Sather, although I hate him, is right on this one. Sather salvaged EC's career, and quite frankly he isn't worth more than 2 mill a year until he proves himself over a full year. Him being one of our best players isn't saying much because our team is basically Gaborik, and everyone else. If EC thinks he can get more than that somewhere else than so be it because chances are he won't get more than 1 mill a year anywhere else and would probably be designated to the 3rd line on another team. EC didn't play his hand right on this one and he is losing out on an opportunity to really showcase his skills.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:02 PM
DrAStuart

If everyone here thinks he didn't deserve a raise, then I'd like to see a show of hands from all of those of you who play with Cap Geek and created line-ups that showed EC as NOT getting a raise? Anyone?

And is there anyone who, when they saw Cap Geek numbers where EC was plugged in with a raise, objected and said, "NO WAY".....

At the very, very least he deserved the 5% that a Qualifying Offer would have guaranteed him....

To suddenly say that he's being "greedy" is just plain hypocritical when this board was more than prepared to offer him well over the 37.5K that that QO would have given him...

Old
pwoz

Stupid on EC's part, but methinks a Savard trade is in the works.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
trilobyte

Maybe EC found that confidence he was missing, and went a bit too far with it. Maybe he is getting bad advice.

I liked seeing what he could do, thinking then that we would see even better, and more often, from him.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:03 PM
DrAStuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Sather, although I hate him, is right on this one. Sather salvaged EC's career, and quite frankly he isn't worth more than 2 mill a year until he proves himself over a full year. Him being one of our best players isn't saying much because our team is basically Gaborik, and everyone else. If EC thinks he can get more than that somewhere else than so be it because chances are he won't get more than 1 mill a year anywhere else and would probably be designated to the 3rd line on another team. EC didn't play his hand right on this one and he is losing out on an opportunity to really showcase his skills.
Read the thread....if Sather had offered him 2M per year or even 2M total, EC likely would have jumped at it....he got offered 750K

Old
06-29-2010, 09:05 PM
John Torturella

Quote:

Sure. Christensen was a decent player with the Rangers last year. I'll give you that point.

But track record has to count for something. And Erik does not have the best track record. He has never stuck with any team for one full season.

You really can not blame Sather for handing out money when it probably is not necessary. Christensen used Gaborik to rack an OK points total. He really does not have leverage to get more than they offered.

Christensen was given a very fair offer for what he did last year. Based on his track record, he should have jumped at it rather than leaving it up to chance.

There are plenty of guys more talented than Christensen that lose out on contracts because they want more money.

Hopefully they can work it out. But if they don't, the Rangers will have no trouble replacing him. It will just give a young player like Anisimov more of a chance.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:11 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Read the thread....if Sather had offered him 2M per year or even 2M total, EC likely would have jumped at it....he got offered 750K
Yep, and even for a waiver pick up, that's a low ball. EC would likely put up at least close to 50 points next season and even if he didn't, giving him say 900k instead wouldn't hurt the team and probably would have gotten him locked up.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:19 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Oops misread the thread title as 2 years at 1.5 per year.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:20 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
I'm kind of disgusted by my fellow Rangers fans this off-season.

Sure, I want McD to just sign already.
--- But I'm not misconstruing every lame media report of out-of-context quotes about playing at school and crying that he's a self-entitled little brat who should be traded before his stock plummets.

Sure, I thought we could have done better with our #10 pick than McIlrath.
--- But I'm actually pretty psyched to see what he can do and don't think it was a terrible selection; just surprised to see him go that high.

Sure, I don't think EC has earned much leverage and that he kind of should be grateful that Sather and the NYR helped him get back on track.
--- But I'm not going to be all "screw you! don't let the door hit you on the way out" when he refuses a very marginal offer. Even if he only puts up 45 points, he'll still likely be around 4th on the team and easily worth the 250k more or so it would have taken to lock him up.

Sure, I'm worried a little when I hear there's a "chasm" between Staal and management at this point in the contract negotiations.
--- But I don't think Staal's a greedy shark and I'm not ready to turn on him.

And on, and on...

Every thing that has happened this off-season has been met by ugly, knee jerk reactions from the majority of this board. Get a grip. Any player who doesn't sign in NY for the price you want them to, when you want them to is a major a-hole to you guys. Reeeelax.
I hate this post. It's posters like you who make this place so horrible and unpleasant.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:23 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
I hate Sather. This is ludicrous. Why can't we give him more than this pathetic offer?
K O V A L C H U K

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:26 PM
XLJ

LOL @ Christensen rejecting a 2 year deal worth 1.4-1.5 million. The guy was one step away from not being in the nhl. Christensen had 26 points in 58 games last year Sather offer is fair. I would just put Dubi back at center and stop wasting my time with him.

And giving an aging enforcer Jody Shelley a 2 year deal would be stupid. I bet no other team would give Shelley 2 years.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote