Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offer-sheet Bobby Ryan?

Old
06-29-2010, 08:18 AM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Offer-sheet Bobby Ryan?

First, I don't think this will happen. The rumors are bull, especially considering we don't have a 2nd in 2011.

Regardless, do people think it is wise to maybe consider offer-sheeting Bobby Ryan? (Unfortunately I believe that would require us to get back our 2nd 2011 from Boston).

We could give him a huge contract (one that Anaheim would have trouble matching), and still only give a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. That is a big sum, indeed, but those picks are at least 4 years away from getting into the NHL, and longer from making an impact. Plus, we could get back some picks in 2011 by trading away our UFAs at the deadline this year (Brunette, Kobasew, Miettinen). And, it's a weak draft, so now would be the time to offer-sheet. That's actually not that much, considering what Kessel got.

This system has no high-level forwards outside Granlund. Ryan would be awesome as Koivu's RW. Slot Granlund between Lats and Havlat, and we would actually have two top-lines. When we would be ready to compete in 2-3 seasons, Ryan would be a monster.

The time to do it would be now, so Anaheim feels like they can get Kovalchuk to replace Ryan (so they don't match), or at the end of July (where Anaheim's cap sapce should be taken up by a re-stocked blueline and depth forwards).

Thoughts?

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:28 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Rumors?

And no, I definitely wouldn't be in favor of it. The Wild aren't in a position to be throwing around both the money and draft pick compensation for one player. Not to mention the stigma that also follows around the GM/teams that attempt to give offer sheets like this.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:41 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Rumors?

And no, I definitely wouldn't be in favor of it. The Wild aren't in a position to be throwing around both the money and draft pick compensation for one player. Not to mention the stigma that also follows around the GM/teams that attempt to give offer sheets like this.
I am more concerned about this than money or picks in 2011.

Our cap situation is not as bad as people make it out to be. Our blueline is actually very affordable. Our goalie is overpaid, but so is half the goalies in the league. Our forwards are the true problem, but we have three 2.33m contracts ending after this season, and after that, Bouchard's contract is the only major problem one.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Dr Jan Itor

I'd be down as long as it isn't a Vanek-type offer, above and beyond reasonable value. I'm not gonna speculate the threshold of the amount that Anaheim would/could match, but if we made a good, sensible offer (~$5 mil i suppose), I don't think it would be a bad idea.

Edit: Just looked at Anaheim's cap situation. They have $21 mil in space and he is their most valuable FA. I don't see any situation where they would lose him.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Hell no.

If we offer him $5m, we give up our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders next year and he sure as hell ain't worth it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Well, it worked pretty well for the Oil when they nabbed Penner. They ended up with the #1 overall draft pick only a few years later.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oilers gave up picks #12, #43, and #73 for Dustin Penner. So in other words it was:

Dustin Penner

for

Tyler Myers
Justin Schultz
Kirill Petrov

Myers was rookie of the year and one of the best young blueliners in the league. Schultz is a very promising defensive prospect, could be a top four guy. Petrov is a 6'3 200 lb Russian winger who's not really producing but still has a chance to make the NHL.

So would you still make that trade?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Lifer

I'd rather go all in on Kovalchuck. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we somehow signed him. Obviously we have basically no real chance but for some reason I kinda feel like it might happen. I sort of feel like Fletcher has been wooing everyone to sleep and that he might pull the rug right out from under everyone so to speak. By no means am I counting on it but I just won't be surprise when if it happens.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Kari Takko

I would sign Big Wheel to an offer sheet tomorrow if all we have to give up is a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd.

He's a game-changer. The only other forward we've ever had like him is Gaby. Obviously, he doesn't play the same way as Gaby, but he's got the same ability to effect the game just by being on the ice.

Go get him.

... and to those of you who don't think he's worth it, maybe you should watch him play. The guy is friggin amazing.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:46 AM
nickschultzfan

The 2nd and 3rd in 2011 aren't a concern. We should be able to get at least one 2nd and one 3rd by trading Bruno + somebody else at the deadline.

So, it really comes down to 1st in 2011 + whatever it takes to get our 2011 2nd back from Boston for Bobby Ryan.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
The 2nd and 3rd in 2011 aren't a concern. We should be able to get at least one 2nd and one 3rd by trading Bruno + somebody else at the deadline.

So, it really comes down to 1st in 2011 + whatever it takes to get our 2011 2nd back from Boston for Bobby Ryan.
True, but I would assume that a team would have to POSSESS those picks at the time in order to make such an offer.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:51 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

No thanks. Not for next season.

I would rather keep the draft picks and risk 3 million or so on Jokinen. Put Jokinen between Kobasew and Bouchard and see what happens.

Remember, Olli isn't a play-making center, he's a shooter. Bouchard + Jokinen is an intriguing thought to me. Plus, it keeps Bouchard on the RW where he belongs.

Yeah, we would still have to use Brodziak between Lats and Havlat, but that wasn't horrible last season.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:01 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

This is one guy I'd be open to trading Burns for. The problem is Ryan's value > Burns. If the + isn't too steep I'd be more than happy trying to find a puck moving defenseman in free agency.

I wouldn't offer sheet him for reasons previously mentioned:

1. I don't want to sacrifice the picks, especially if this regime proves to excel at scouting/drafting.
2. It'll sink Fletcher's reputation with at least a handful of GMs & makes it more likely a Wild player will be offer-sheeted in the future.
3. I don't think Minnesota can offer since they don't have the required picks.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:05 AM
mnwildgophers

I wouldn't want to lose all those draft picks, and draw the ire of some other GM's. RFA offer sheets can do that. I can see someone offering some sort of thing, but I'm sure the Ducks will match almost anything as long as it isn't past the point where they get 4 1st round picks. If that's the case, I think they just take the compensation.

We should just stay the course as I don't see this as a real possibility. Someone might offer sheet him though, but I see Anaheim matching pretty much everything.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:06 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Where will the team find the cap space? They can't afford to offer any big contracts this offseason.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Where will the team find the cap space? They can't afford to offer any big contracts this offseason.
Well, they're sitting at ~$13 million right now without Lats & Harding signed, so they do have a little room maneuver.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:18 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:

That isn't entirely true. They're currently at $48,796,028. If you move Wellman and Almond to Houston it brings their committed salary to $46,802,695.

That's $12,597,305 under the cap with 17 players on the roster. Latendresse & Harding will combine for roughly $4m and conservatively we'll say the Wild will stay $2m under the cap. That's $6,597,305 to fill 4 spots.

If Bouchard can't go, and honestly I'd be surprised if he can, you're back up to $10,677,305 to fill 5 spots.

Plus, if the Wild obtained Ryan it'd realistically have to be in a trade. That would likely take $3m+ which could be applied towards extending Ryan.

There are a handful of different factors that would determine the actual cap space available. However, the point I'm trying to make is it's possible for the Wild to have room under the cap - though it's improbable they'd make the trade due to a lack of assets.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:21 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Well, they're sitting at ~$13 million right now without Lats & Harding signed, so they do have a little room maneuver.
And several roster spots to fill besides. We can't give it all to one player.

Lats will take $2-3 possibly more since he has arbitration rights, Harding will get $1+ - he also has arbitration rights, so in worse case with those two, we're arguably we're down to $8mil to fill out what's left of the roster. We need to find a D-man, a center and one or two wingers yet. At MOST we can only offer any UFA's like $2-3mil/yr to get what the team needs. The deals will also likely be short-term since they will be considered band-aid fixes not long term solutions. Not too enticing for any higher end talent at all.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:22 AM
MK9

No on the offer sheet. If they can do it with Burns and...something else (NOT giving up the damn farm) then yeah, I'd like to see the kid here.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:45 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Rumors?

You got me guys, I'm really Eklund.

Ryan to Minnesota (e3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

Easier said than done and which is also why teams usually just trade rights (see: Kessel or Meszaros deals) rather than go through hoops to re-acquire picks.

Quote:

Lats will take $2-3 possibly more since he has arbitration rights, Harding will get $1+ - he also has arbitration rights, so in worse case with those two, we're arguably we're down to $8mil to fill out what's left of the roster. We need to find a D-man, a center and one or two wingers yet. At MOST we can only offer any UFA's like $2-3mil/yr to get what the team needs. The deals will also likely be short-term since they will be considered band-aid fixes not long term solutions. Not too enticing for any higher end talent at all.
$8 million to fill a top-six position, 13th forward and 7th defenseman? I think we'll be okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
No on the offer sheet. If they can do it with Burns and...something else (NOT giving up the damn farm) then yeah, I'd like to see the kid here.
Hey, we have a farm again! Thanks Granlund!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

7th Defenseman: $750k

The center I concede (unless they try to fit Bouchard, if healthy, between Lats and Havlat)

Other than that, we need to sign 1 4th line winger:
Brunette & Miettinen
Latendresse & Havlat
Kobasew & Clutterbuck
Staubitz & xxxxxxxxx

Bouchard is the wild-card. If he can't go and is on LTIR, that's an extra $4 million. If he can go, then he fills one of the center or wing spots.

I'm just saying, it's financially possible (just not probable).

Old
06-29-2010, 02:47 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
7th Defenseman: $750k

The center I concede (unless they try to fit Bouchard, if healthy, between Lats and Havlat)

Other than that, we need to sign 1 4th line winger:
Brunette & Miettinen
Latendresse & Havlat
Kobasew & Clutterbuck
Staubitz & xxxxxxxxx

Bouchard is the wild-card. If he can't go and is on LTIR, that's an extra $4 million. If he can go, then he fills one of the center or wing spots.

I'm just saying, it's financially possible (just not probable).
The problem is, if you break the bank in a weak UFA year when you are already tight financially, you are making things even worse for the future. This is not the year to be handing out any long term higher end deal. We can't afford to give anyone $4mil this offseason and expect to ever get out of cap hell. Koivu is about to get a BIG raise as it is... sure it won't affect his cap hit for this season, but it will for many future ones, and if you end up overpaying for a player now due to the weak field available, you hurt your chances at better answers down the road.

We're supposed to be thinking about fixing this team's cap problems, not extending them and making them worse.

Old
06-29-2010, 06:57 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Hey, we have a farm again! Thanks Granlund!
At this point yet, it's probably just a hobby farm. But, hey better than we've had for the past 2 yrs.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
At this point yet, it's probably just a hobby farm. But, hey better than we've had for the past 2 yrs.
Granlund alone is probably enough to move the Wild out of the 30th spot on the HF rankings.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:03 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Here's my 2 cents. I believe it will cost more in assets to obtain Ryan than to offer sheet him. It would take at least Burns, a 1st, and top prospect(scandella) to trade for him. My point is with ryan in our lineup we will be a much better team plus the bad start we had with the new system, this will be a much better team in 2011. The #9 pick misrepresented the team, we weren't that bad just had the horrid start.Therefore after we acquire another 2011 2nd rounder, the offer sheet picks will be much lower than this year. Say we pick at least as low as 18,48,78. You wouldn't give up those picks for Ryan. Remember folks Bobby Ryan is a proven great player and these picks have an extremely slim chance of being as good as him or actually making it into the league. I'd offer Ryan 6 mil per on one of those long 10 year lupehole contracts. I can guarantee it won't be like the Boston fleecing of Toronto. We won't even pick anywhere near the top 10 next year with Ryan on the team. Do you even realize how good the kid is? So why not offer sheet him. Worse thing that happens is they match it, and this team is middle of the pack again.just my 2 cents. Noticed nobody mentioned possible pick numbers for next year so tried to give you another angle.go wild!

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote