HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Fight in camp

Old
06-29-2010, 10:28 PM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortsNeedsMoreJam View Post
I have no problem with it. And as Dagoon said, its part of hockey. You're playing for a spot, not here to make friends. Its business.
Right. I think Pashnin was making it clear from the get go that just because he's Russian doesn't mean he won't drop the gloves. Not too long ago I think Brian Boyle had a scrap with a teammate. I would say for the most part.... Even players from different teams who fight during a regular season game do not necessarily dislike each other. Mainly because it's part of their job, and as long as you respect "the Code," you can be a real asset to your team, and will be well respected around the league.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I don't think punching your team mate in the face helps build team chemistry.
I don't think it's 100% but I think it definitely can actually build chemistry. From my experience I've gotten into two hockey fights with teammates (we don't really do practices, we just play some pickup), and at the time in both cases I wasn't getting along with these guys but after the fight we were much tighter. I think it just a good release of tensions.

I think it's similar to in football when a guy lays a good hit on someone. I think most of the time you'll see the guy who was hit jump up and show the guy some respect, but sometimes you'll see a guy take it the wrong way.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:32 PM
satrabyk

R some of u guys insane, how can be against intensity and emotion in a training camp. When i hear this it makes me happy because most likely these guys play with an edge and are competitors, much rather that than players going through the motions or not brining the intensity. It is a fight to make the team and only a few will end up playing regularly, you make it sound like these guys are all crosby's and are franchise players. We dont even kno if they will ever play for NY. Please this not even debatable.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:35 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Oh GOD...

I'm guessing some of you have never played the game. I'll leave it at that.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:50 PM
trilobyte

A little bit of feisty is more than welcome. Management loves seeing this, it at least shows the guys are aware they are fighting for jobs.

I'm pretty sure a guy like McIlrath understands that he does not have to prove he can wreck people. If he doesn't, somebody might die...

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

oh my god really? is this what we're concerned about?

i'm wondering how the hell a north american (and somewhat bland one) can have that much intensity and scrap with a russian who knows no english. must have been purely based on play.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:14 PM
TheRedViper

Definately okay with the fighting. It shows their both willing to do everything it takes to make this team... and it's not even training camp yet...

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:15 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Are you guys serious ? Fighting was a huge part of the game at one time when emotion was allowed. These kids doing this tell me they both want to make the team and show the NYR they are here for a reason. Thank you boys for showing some heart
Well said. I totally agree. When I first read Zipay's tweet (he wrote "Derek" instead of "Werek") I thought he was referring to Stepan and honestly I was shocked and impressed to hear about such intensity from a guy that I consider our biggest prospect but not particularly tough.

Of course it wasn't Stepan but I respect both guys a lot for being so emotionally involved in trying to make the team and making a positive impression on the staff. Good for them.

As long as it stays on the ice and they don't take it too personally its all good in my eyes.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Pizza

OK. I'm just going to have a little fun here.

It's Hockey. Ice Hockey.

Not bad mitten, or cuddly kitten.

Hockey. Which, from what I've been told can get a bit rough a times.

And this is a rookie camp. Not a play date.

A young Russian lad is trying his level best to impress the guys who will hopefully be signing his checks one day.

Go get em boys.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:42 AM
frozenrubber

All it proves is that Mihail Pashnin was watching the draft.

Sather and Co. cherish overt physicality over skill at the moment. And no better way to get noticed, especially as a d-an in this organization.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:48 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Kid did so good he got Sather excited!

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

As young Russian defenseman Mikhail Pashnin stood outside the locker room following the second day of the Rangers’ annual Prospects Development Camp at the MSG Training Center on Tuesday, team President and General Manager Glen Sather walked by, slapped Pashnin on the back, and stated emphatically, “First Star!”

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:59 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

As long as nobody gets hurt, and they leave it all on the ice and don't hold grudges.

Then its all good.

Hockey is an emotional sport, sometimes its better to get that frustration out of your system and then go sit down and cool off.

So again, as long as nobody gets hurt, and they leave it all on the ice and don't hold grudges.

Then its all good.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:06 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

The story according to Zip or Gross, forget where I read it - was Werek "did a dirty" to Pashnin and later in the scrimmage (or shift?) Pashnin checked Werek from behind afterwards in relatiation. Werek was pissed cause I guess it was a dangerous play and I'm not sure he will think more highly of Pashnin after this. It really doesn't help that Pashnin doesn't speak any English yet. I didn't read they actually got into a fist fight so by "fight in camp" it might just mean they yelled at each other. Or Werek yelled and Pashnin was like "don't taze me bro!"

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:46 AM
Black Tank

I really cant stand dmen that arent willing to drop the gloves against an evenly matched opponent. Potential Poti - s need not apply. Plus it got him in the news and what more can you want in a prospects camp?

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:59 AM
Levitate

hahahah some of you are ridiculous and apparently hard up for anything to complain about in the offseason.

It's no big deal. Good for Pashnin, I wasn't sure if he actually fought from the original report, but it sounds like he did

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:07 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I'm liking this Pashnin kid!

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:33 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I have no problem with this on any level.

This is healthy on every level.

I would have no issues with The Undertaker throwing down either. It would mean that someone had the gumption to challenge him. I'm all for that.

There's a desire to show the Rangers coaching staff that these guys are prepared to do whatever it takes to make an impression and further make the team.

The fact that it was Pashnin makes me smile.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:21 AM
DutchShamrock

Is there a link to this article?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Kid did so good he got Sather excited!

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

As young Russian defenseman Mikhail Pashnin stood outside the locker room following the second day of the Rangers’ annual Prospects Development Camp at the MSG Training Center on Tuesday, team President and General Manager Glen Sather walked by, slapped Pashnin on the back, and stated emphatically, “First Star!”

"First Star", from the boss says it all. Nice job kid! Sergei taught you well.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:59 AM
94now

They are not a teammates while scrimmaging. They are opponents. If you hit me, I'll punch you - simple way to communicate known since forever.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Garv23

This is hockey, is it not?

I love it.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:15 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
oh my god really? is this what we're concerned about?

i'm wondering how the hell a north american (and somewhat bland one) can have that much intensity and scrap with a russian who knows no english. must have been purely based on play.
Exactly.

Some of you are reading way too much into this.

It was pretty clear to me from reading Gross' blog about it yesterday that Pashnin stood out the entire scrimmage.

Apparently Pashnin had a late hit/hit from behind/one that Werek did not think too highly of and he went after Pashnin.

It was impossible from the description to determine whether or not this was a real fight.

I got the impression that Werek went right after him and then had to be pulled away by players.

So they both probably threw a few punches but I don't think this was a drop the gloves and square off type of deal.

After the scrimmage when asked about it Pashnin said that he expected Werek to respond the way he did but that Werek also had a dirty hit on him earlier in the scrimmage.

You could tell that some of the players didn't like Pashnin's exuberance and probably thought he was being reckless and arrogant.

When they asked McIlrath about him after the scrimmage he didn't want to talk about it.

I'm sure Dylan would've loved to knock some sense into him.

I love it all the way around. You need guys with skill and talent and emotion and a little flair like Pashnin.

But I also don't want the other prospects we have who are getting burned by him to not get extremely irritated by it.

Perfect scenario all the way around if you ask me. Good job boys.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:37 AM
Bagman

Gotta love it, guys playing with passion. I want guys who want to compete.

Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Tell me about a fight between prospects at a bar or away from the rink and I'll be worried, on the ice it's a different world. A fight in this situation 95% of the time is a players way of saying "I'm here, I want to be here and I'll do whatever it takes to stay here"

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:56 AM
GAGLine

Fighting isn't allowed in the NFL, yet we hear about fights in training camp all the time, and that's no big deal. Why should it be a cause for concern here? I understand we don't want any of these kids to get hurt, but they can get hurt just as easily without fighting. This is a non-story.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote