HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UPDATE Kostitsyn signs for $550,000 one year deal

Old
06-29-2010, 07:02 PM
goalscorer

vCash: 500
I personally love this move.

Like someone stated earlier, we all want DP to make moves and get us this or that, but when he does make a move we're still not happy.

Boyd (who we we're letting go of anyways) 210gp 31g 31a 62pts
Kostitsyn (who we dont have to sign) 155gp 24g 44a 68pts

From the very little I've seen of SK, he has better hands and is more physical than Boyd.

Only SK knows why he had the problems he had. The change in scenery might work. Our staff, players, etc. may be able to get him back on track. If nothing else we may get a pick outta the deal, which isn't earth shattering, but something for nothing.
I like that DP is thinking out of the box and possibly gonna give this kid a chance. Tells me to an extent that if Rads wants to come back, he'll be willing to give him a shot. All of this could be for nothing, but never the less Poile is being active and is looking at options/using assets. As he has stated several times this off season.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
He did. He sounded really excited. I hope it's not just something minor like Jonas Andersson.
I think that's exactly who it is and I think Andersson is a much more mature player than he was when he was here previously and can compete for a spot on the roster. Had a great World Championships and has really put it together the past three seasons in Europe...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:16 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I love the fan base. Poile does nothing, he gets yelled at. He makes moves, he gets yelled at. No matter what decisions he makes it's wrong. Let's see, we've gotten two players for guys we were going to lose as free agents. They may not be what everyone wants but we have gained assets back and in my eyes, that's a good thing. Even if SK turns into an idiot, so what, we tried something. People are always saying we need change and need to go in a different direction. Well, here we are, going in another direction and everyone is up in arms. Why not wait until the picture is fully painted before we go nuts on Poile.
The problem is the acquisition is wavier wire material that no team would likely touch. How exciting...

It's just nothing to get excited about. I don't expect it to be the first good trade Poile has pulled off in 7 years, but I guess there's a chance. Now if this is our only move of the offseason....

It maybe more about potentially get the 5th, but I don't know why you even include SK in the deal if you don't intend to give him a chance.

I personally don't like not qualifying Boyd. He played as good or better than other 3-4th liners on our team... People keeping saying "getting something for nothing." IMO, we lost something for nothing when we traded a 4th for Boyd and didn't even qualify him.

Last edited by dulzhok: 06-29-2010 at 07:24 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Seth Lake

Poile interview recap:

SK is a very skilled forward with top-six potential, but that he hasn't reached that potential yet, nor has he even reached his own expectations...

SK's been highly rated for a few years by the Preds organization. Felt he was one of Montreal's best players after the Olympic break, but fizzled out. He's a work in progress...

SK has big upside. He's not perfect, but Poile is definitely interested in signing him, but has to work out a contract due to SK's RFA status. Poile talked briefly with SK's agent today and agent expressed that SK wants to play in NHL and is not interested in playing in the KHL. Poile said that SK is a player that must be signed to a one-way contract due to options available to him (Europe), but that he will not move forward in negotiations until he is convinced SK is willing to work and fits into the Predators culture.

Said he thought Montreal could be a good fit for Ellis due to their situation and feels Ellis can compete with Price for ice, but that ultimately that decision is still up to Dan.

Poile remained unsure of what they were thinking in terms of a backup for Pekka next season. Said there are a lot of guys available on July 1st, but mentioned all the young goalies already in the system and said internally they are discussing possibly going to training camp before identifying whether or not there is a definite need for a veteran...

Said forward depth and quality in free agency isn't very good this season, but didn't rule anything out...

And last, but not least, he said they have a forward that will be signed July 1st that they cannot announce yet...my guess...Jonas Anderssson...

Old
06-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Seth Lake

Instant analysis from the NP.com:

Quote:
The Predators have several solid two-way forward prospects, but in Kostitsyn the Preds have added a prospect with a dynamic “wow” element to his game who is capable of stepping in to the NHL and contributing now … without losing any players from the current roster or sacrificing any of the organization’s deep pool of prospects.

“This is a trade that if it all works out and is a good fit, this can be a big upside for us,” said Poile. “Having said that, I want to talk to him directly and talk to his agent to make sure this is a fit for the Predators and for him before we go forward on a contract discussion.”
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=533210

Old
06-29-2010, 07:37 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Poile said that SK is a player that must be signed to a one-way contract due to options available to him (Europe), but that he will not move forward in negotiations until he is convinced SK is willing to work and fits into the Predators culture.
How's he going to determine this? A phone interview?

Signing him to a 2 way contract isn't that much of a risk. Signing him to a one-way is a big risk. It'd be like signing Cal O'Reily to a one-way.... oh wait...

And we may sign Anderson to a one-way? I feel like it's the expansion draft again.

Old
06-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Would you line up SK with Wilson or Legwand?

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:45 PM
sighthndlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Would you line up SK with Wilson or Legwand?
He's pretty fast, no? Erat - Legwand - SK?

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by linp View Post
I don't understand Jacque Martin. He just doesn't like Sergei. Sergei's attitude has been improving during the season but was benched for no reason. Sergei sees the ice well and has a very good pass. He is also good in PK. If your coach can take care of him, he can be a top 6 forward.
Martin was like that with Latendresse too. And Pouliot usualy sees zero PP time. He just doesn't seem to bother with troublemakers or guys that have weak work ethic. In my opinion, you can't threat every players the same.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Well, I suppose that's one way to roll the dice...

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I would've rather rolled the dice on O'Sullivan and given them boyd and ellis for a low pick...

I am withholding judgement until I SK signs with us.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:02 PM
lightning_legwand*

Well at least we got future considerations.....

I hope kostitsyn doesnt come here and ruin team chemistry, hes a hot head.

If the free agent signing is Jokinen, that will suck having two crappy attitude forwards. Please dont be Jokinen!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
I would've rather rolled the dice on O'Sullivan and given them boyd and ellis for a low pick...

I am withholding judgement until I SK signs with us.
Personally, I'd prefer taking on SK as our risk/reward guy over O'Sullivan due to the price tag (trading for POS would include his $2+ million deal) and on the basic premise that there is no denying SK's skill...it's his attitude that needs to be corrected. A change of scenery might just do that...

Old
06-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Personally, I'd prefer taking on SK as our risk/reward guy over O'Sullivan due to the price tag (trading for POS would include his $2+ million deal) and on the basic premise that there is no denying SK's skill...it's his attitude that needs to be corrected. A change of scenery might just do that...

Not true, I was saying let him clear waivers then try to sign O'Sully... at least we wouldn't have to give up anything. We could've traded boyd and ellis for a fifth instead of SK.

I don't trust SK. If we don't meet his demands he is just going to defect to Russia. At least O'Sullivan won't do that... most likely.

Old
06-29-2010, 09:19 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Not true, I was saying let him clear waivers then try to sign O'Sully... at least we wouldn't have to give up anything. We could've traded boyd and ellis for a fifth instead of SK.

I don't trust SK. If we don't meet his demands he is just going to defect to Russia. At least O'Sullivan won't do that... most likely.
So if he goes to Russia he goes to Russia, no big deal. We still own him since he's a RFA at that point so he's still an asset whether or not he's here or overseas. Ellis and Boyd would've been nothing to us in 2 days time.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Hermit Wizard Eater

I'm not a Preds fan, but I think it's pretty unfair blaming Poile on the fact that the Preds haven't been past the 1st round.

In fact it is quite impressive how competitive the Preds are from year to year considering the players on the team, and their internal salary cap (which Trotz admitted is 15 million below last season's salary cap).

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:

If we wait until O'Sullivan is bought out, then he is a UFA and we're competing with 28 other teams for his services (assuming Edmonton is out of the equation). Personally, I think several teams will offer POS redemption opportunities this summer and that in turn creates competition and competition generally equals larger contract demands...

Bottom line for me is that SK has IMO the highest ceiling of any of the "redemption" projects out there this summer due to his undeniable offensive talent...

Old
06-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:
Bingo! SK has immense offensive talent. Exactly what the fans have been screaming for for years, but he comes cheap due to his lack of maturity shown in Montreal. You don't get these players for two guys set to become UFA's in two days without there being a risk involved...

This is our high-risk/high-reward player we've all been thinking about. I like him better as a reclamation project than Cheechoo, Nilsson, Bergenheim, or POS. Cheechoo has been in decline due to injuries and none of the others have the skill SK brings...

As Poile just said, he will walk away and not give him a contract if he isn't convinced SK is committed to making it work...

I agree that SK could be the best case out of those mentioned. A player who is actually good in all aspects of the game and has loads of offensive skill. If we sign him we can see how good of a coach Trotz really is, if he goes to the KHL then its no loss at all.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:40 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

It's hilarious that people are complaining about this move. We, for the second time in less than two weeks, got SOMETHING FOR NOTHING.

I was frustrated\disappointed at the number of "safe" picks we made in the draft. For example, I made it clear that I wanted Pulkkinen where we took Aronson.

This move is the direction I was hoping we'd go. Is it a "risk?" Sure, as much as a risk that a player that only cost you two players you were letting go anyway is. The potential for "reward" is so much higher. Can you honestly complain about a guy who is cheaply signed, likely has more pure skill than anyone on the team not named Erat or Sullivan, and struggled with the pressure in the most enormously critical hockey market known to man? He's coming to a completely different situation with a clean slate. He's got no more of an attitude problem than someone like Patrick O'Sullivan, who everyone was advocating we take a shot at...and I think he's got higher upside.

With all that in mind, I love the move. If it doesn't work...we lose nothing. Poile said outright, SK74's goal is to play IN THE NHL. That means that if we try to send him down, he'll likely go to Russia...and at that point, the experiment is over and we're out nothing but time. On the other hand...he comes in and clicks with Erat and Dumont...and Poile looks like a genius. I'm willing to take that chance.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:03 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
It's hilarious that people are complaining about this move. We, for the second time in less than two weeks, got SOMETHING FOR NOTHING.
There are plenty of players we can get for nothing, the question is are they any good?

I'm no SK expert, but a career high 9 goals in 3 seasons and a history of dirty laundry is not encouraging.

There is a potential cost to giving all these player "test drives". We've got unproven players on one-way contracts like Sulzer, Klein, Franson, O'Reilly, and now Parent and SK (if we sign him). Also, potentially Andersson. The cost is they don't work out, and we lose more games because of it. Or, we send them to the AHL getting paid NHL salary, further handicapping a poor team to begin with. It's not much different than taking flyers on Peltonen, Tenkrat, and Craig Millar. Sure, you don't lose anything, except games, if it doesn't work out.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:14 PM
WartracePred

I like the move. Poile usually trades assets for 3rd or 4th line, 2-way, responsible players. Blue-collar guys. Most of us yell and scream that we need offense, a sniper. Isn't that SKs potential - a skillful goal scorer and passer, albeit with baggage.

Now like everyone else, I'm wondering if he and Trotz can co-exist. If you're Arny and have a lazy work-ethic, and take shifts off, that's one thing. Arnott had proven himself. But a young kid with a poor work-ethic is a bit of a stretch for Trotz.

But if Poile is going to roll the dice on potential, I'd rather gamble on Kostitsyn than Boyd, Jones, Santorelli, O'Reilly... fill in the blank. SK has much more upside in an area where the Predators have the greatest need. Remember we lost 20-30 goals when we cut Arnott loose.

And on a side note, if SK succeeds, does having this type of player entice Radulov to come back. Just something to mull over.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:39 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

After further review, I like this move, but I still say adding O'Sullivan would have been a better pick up for nothing and trade Boyd and Ellis to somewhere else for a late pick or two. Maybe budget has something to do with it.

Who knows, if SK signs I will probably feel better about it. This is a risky move by Poile. Let's hope trotz can right the ship.

I won't lie SK is a good player when he puts in the effort. Let's hope he buys into trotz system. It should help that SK will get top minutes here...

Last edited by Roman Yoshi: 06-30-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old
06-29-2010, 11:47 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

I think I like this move. Hopefully there wont be so much pressure on the kid here in Nashville and can succeed. Here is the question: Will he play for Nashville?

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:54 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
On the other hand...he comes in and clicks with Erat and Dumont...and Poile looks like a genius. I'm willing to take that chance.
He definitely should click with Dumont-- I'm trying to figure out who we can get to center the "work ethic" line. Oh, wait, we traded him away! I'm thinking either we call Olvecky back and apologize or this is Santorelli's chance to lose.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:19 AM
JrHockeyFan

Greetings Preds fans. Habs fan and London Knights fan here (OHL Jr hockey where Kostitsyn played)

Just weighing in with an opinion on this trade. I'm no fanboy, but I try to be fair. Been watching him play since Jr in 2005 and through his 3 years in Montreal. He is a playmaker more than a scorer. Plays well on the PK. Good hard passer. Not strong along the boards

He is defensively responsible player. In Jr in played on a 5 forward power play with ONE guy at the blueline. That guy was Kostitsyn. It was very rare to see him get victimized on a power play for short handed goals. He was trusted to control the puck and get back on D quickly which he did very well

1. You pretty much got Kostitsyn for bargain basement price. You can't lose in this deal, he has talent.

2. Attitude issues? I'd say that SK's biggest attitude issue is temper and stubborness. A lot of the other stuff thrown about is just a lot of repeated hockey forum babble from folks who really know squat about the kid. He was no problem at all in Jr. Was very popular with team mates.

3. Has he had issues in Montreal? Absolutely. Are they all his fault? I'd say not. But one thing is for sure. Once the media are on your back there you are on your own.

4. Montreal is not your run of the mill sports market. The french speaking media in particular is very partial to home grown talent and if they think one of their own are getting short TOI (deserved or not) will go on relentless campaigns to discredit less favoured players. They have been riding this kid for about a year and a half. SK has been very quiet.about it. He is not a quote machine

5. Martin and SK absolutely had issues. For whatever reasons Jacques Martin appeared to be playing games with the kid late in the year. SK had a pretty productive stretch just around the Olympic break. He was the first star in a big game in February against Washington, setting up 3 goals including the winner in OT. Not just assists but actually playmaking. Instead of using that progress, Martin put him on the 4th line with non scoring types, where as you might expect a playmaker would not really stand out. In the playoffs he was giving him as little as 3 shifts a game without any real reason based on play in those games

As for concerns about bolting to the KHL? I don't think that is an issue. The kid wants to play in the NHL

With playing time and the feeling he is getting a fair shake, I think you will find that SK is not going to be a problem in Nashville. Paired with guys that can get in the open or score, he will be very productive

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote