HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Eagle gloves?!

Old
06-28-2010, 03:01 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Eagle gloves?!

Hi.

I'm from Sweden, and you can barely find the Eagle gloves around here . I've checked hockeymonkey.com and found the x95's x88's and the PPF's. But you can only order the x95's and x88's in size 14,5".

And I'm afraid that 14'5" can be a little to big. Last season I used 13" and I'm going to buy my first pair of 14" now and I don't like if the glove is to loose. I saw that you can get the PPF glove in 14" but I don't find it's design very attractive( I want a regular all-black glove with the "Eagle" text in white)

So i wonder if these gloves are only made in one size?

Do you use Eagle gloves? Let me know what you think about em'

Thanks.

Last edited by bp spec: 06-28-2010 at 03:51 PM.
bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:04 PM
TBLfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
They are available for custom order and custom finger or cuff length is(or at least was) a $10 up charge for finger length and another $10 for cuff length.

Eagles, in the past have been a short 14" glove, the fingers being on the shorter side:
Short fingers: Eagle, TPS, Mission, CCM/RBK
Long fingers: Bauer

As far as I can tell CCM has made their finger length a little longer the past year, Eagle followed suit. The X88 in 14.5" has roughly the finger length of a Nike/Bauer 4-roll in 14". Post-Nike the 4-roll fingers appear to be slightly shorter.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Ani simov mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer View Post
Hi.

I'm from Sweden, and you can barely find the Eagle gloves around here . I've checked hockeymonkey.com and found the x95's x88's and the PPF's. But you can only order the x95's and x88's in size 14,5".

And I'm afraid that 14'5" can be a little to big. Last season I used 13" and I'm going to buy my first pair of 14" now and I don't like if the glove is to loose. I saw that you can get the PPF glove in 14" but I don't find it's design very attractive( I want a regular all-black glove with the "Eagle" text in white)

So i wonder if these gloves are only made in one size?

Do you use Eagle gloves? Let me know what you think about em'

Thanks.
Ppf's are the best Eagle gloves, if not the best on the market. They are extremely comfortable and they have the best palm then any other glove. If you're going to get Eagles, you have TO buy Ppf's (or ppfi if you want them in 13").

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:38 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisimov View Post
Ppf's are the best Eagle gloves, if not the best on the market. They are extremely comfortable and they have the best palm then any other glove. If you're going to get Eagles, you have TO buy Ppf's (or ppfi if you want them in 13").
PPFs are great gloves but only if you like the tighter fit. If someone prefers a wider fit a X70 or CP94 might be preferred, if those are too wide maybe a X6 or Fusion. If a shorter cuff and wider fit is desired a X72 would be a better choice than a PPF. It depends on what you are looking for in a glove.

Old
06-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Yeah, all my warrior gloves are narrow fit but I just can't get used to the ppf fit. I love my x72s, not a big fan of x88s.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:54 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
Yeah, all my warrior gloves are narrow fit but I just can't get used to the ppf fit. I love my x72s, not a big fan of x88s.
You must be talking about the new PPFs. They have become more narrow since Vaughn acquired Eagle. The original PPFs fit a bit wider than a narrow fit Franchise. The difference between a PPF and a PPF+ is all in length, they kept the volume(of the hand, obviously longer fingers increases volume in the fingers) and width the same. I can comfortably wear my PPF+ gloves but a 14" Franchise narrow fit is uncomfortably narrow for me.

I'd actually compare the original PPF to a 14" Vapor XXXX glove but with about a 1/4" shorter fingers.

Old
06-29-2010, 05:58 AM
bp spec

I used the Rebook 10k glove last season in 13". Do you know how much longer fingers the Eagle gloves have in 14" compared to the 10k, 13"?

I'm very picky with the thumb beeing really flexible, how about the Eagle gloves?

Last edited by bp spec: 06-29-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old
06-29-2010, 06:32 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
I used the Rebook 10k glove last season in 13". Do you know how much longer fingers the Eagle gloves have in 14" compared to the 10k, 13"?

I'm very picky with the thumb beeing really flexible, how about the Eagle gloves?
A 14" eagle, IE PPF, X6, X72, instead of PPFi or PPF+(for example), would fit you. I'd consider the 13" version of the 2010 gloves but 14" from original to 2009. I think you'd like the PPFs in fit, specifically the 08 or maybe the 09 models. BUT the PPFs have a lock thumb, this means the thumb doesn't move, only the tab attaching the thumb pocket to the thumb allows movement. I actually prefer this but if you're a fan of a flex thumb, I don't think you'd like it. The PFX should(I'm not sure) fit like the PPF but is made overseas, I don't believe these have a lock thumb.

The X6 is an Asian made glove(as opposed to most being in Canada), which has a lock thumb(only on the X6). The X88 and X95s also have lock thumbs.

I don't believe any generation of the X72 has a lock thumb(the original definitely didn't have one), but it's not a flex thumb, it's a flexible thumb. Meaning there is no joint to flex, the plastic is a single piece but is flexible.

If you'd like, I can post pictures of the difference in flex between a X72(my custom pair) and a PPF+(retail) lock thumb.

Honestly, if you like the 10Ks... I'd say to either try the CCM retail line, stay with Reebok, try the Bauer Vapor line or the Warrior AK gloves. With Bauer and Warrior you may want to go down a size because of finger length.

Old
06-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My big problem with Eagles is how they are like the opposite of a Supreme glove...instead of being anatomical and tight fitting, they are really boxy and awkward. That's why they make different gloves though!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:25 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
My big problem with Eagles is how they are like the opposite of a Supreme glove...instead of being anatomical and tight fitting, they are really boxy and awkward. That's why they make different gloves though!
I think with Eagles it seems you just need to go a size down for the snug fit. With that though you lose some cuff protection, atleast I find that with mine. I had some Rbk that were 14" and great fit length wise just little loose width wise and great protection for the wrists, but when I got the 13" eagles they were just like a perfect fit for my hand all around. Unless you get slashed all the time and need the longer cuffs Id say from my personal experience may need to try a size down from normal glove size.

Also to note I have the Eagle Special Edition gloves so not sure if those vary much from their others.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:04 AM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
I think with Eagles it seems you just need to go a size down for the snug fit. With that though you lose some cuff protection, atleast I find that with mine. I had some Rbk that were 14" and great fit length wise just little loose width wise and great protection for the wrists, but when I got the 13" eagles they were just like a perfect fit for my hand all around. Unless you get slashed all the time and need the longer cuffs Id say from my personal experience may need to try a size down from normal glove size.

Also to note I have the Eagle Special Edition gloves so not sure if those vary much from their others.
The Eagle Special Edition glove is a SMU for hockeygiant from 2008. It's based on the X70 and was made in China.

Old
06-30-2010, 04:42 AM
bp spec

Quote:
BUT the PPFs have a lock thumb, this means the thumb doesn't move, only the tab attaching the thumb pocket to the thumb allows movement. I actually prefer this but if you're a fan of a flex thumb, I don't think you'd like it.
Hockeymonkeys 10k description: KFS Lock Thumb - Segmented lock thumb

Hockeymonkeys PPF description:Lock thumb prevents hyperextension

Isn't the PPF's thumb segmented?

What's the difference?

Old
06-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

As TBL said, the Eagles have short fingers, so if I went a size down, they'd be way too small. They also have this annoying boxy shape that has too much room side to side, but then they make up for that with a giant foam pad placed behind the back side of the hand. You can remove it, but then it feels like you stuck your hand in a cardboard box.

I just don't get the hype...aside from the nice materials there's nothing comfortable about them and they cost $200.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:26 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
As TBL said, the Eagles have short fingers, so if I went a size down, they'd be way too small. They also have this annoying boxy shape that has too much room side to side, but then they make up for that with a giant foam pad placed behind the back side of the hand. You can remove it, but then it feels like you stuck your hand in a cardboard box.

I just don't get the hype...aside from the nice materials there's nothing comfortable about them and they cost $200.
Ya, luckily got mine for 50$~ but apparently mine are from china! Makes me wonder how good the other ones feel. Like with everything else though seems to come down to preference.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:32 PM
bp spec

Can anyone who uses the PPF glove or some other Eagle glove with the Lock Thumb please describe the thumb?

My biggest concern is stiff thumbs..

Old
06-30-2010, 06:38 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Hockeymonkeys 10k description: KFS Lock Thumb - Segmented lock thumb

Hockeymonkeys PPF description:Lock thumb prevents hyperextension

Isn't the PPF's thumb segmented?

What's the difference?
The PPF thumb is solid. It's one piece of rather thick plastic that runs from the tip of the thumb through the cuff. It doesn't move at all.

The Segmented lock thumb means that it bends inward to the palm but it locks in a straight position and doesn't allow any further movement away from the palm. It is not one-piece of plastic like the PPFs have.

Old
06-30-2010, 06:55 PM
TBLfan

Here are some pics for you:

Eagle PPF+'s lock thumb, thumb to the palm. Notice that the material lets you move your thumb but the actual thumb doesn't move.

Here is the piece of plastic that goes up through the cuff.

Reebok 10K glove, thumb to the palm. Notice the split and flex of the thumb.

And the 10K with the thumb in the "lock" position.

Old
07-02-2010, 10:15 AM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Here are some pics for you:

Eagle PPF+'s lock thumb, thumb to the palm. Notice that the material lets you move your thumb but the actual thumb doesn't move.

Here is the piece of plastic that goes up through the cuff.

Reebok 10K glove, thumb to the palm. Notice the split and flex of the thumb.

And the 10K with the thumb in the "lock" position.
Thanks, I don't think I'll go with a glover with such a stiff thumb.

I've been thinking about the v10's or the Rebook KFS pro.
It's just that the v10's doesn't have a smooth palm, there's a lot of "details".

What do you think?

Old
07-02-2010, 02:21 PM
shoeshine boy

the stiff thumb is there to keep you from hyper-extending the thumb. having done that twice previously I'll be sticking with gloves with lock thumbs from now on. a strained thumb is a painful and annoying injury that takes a long time to fully heal.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Yeah, I did it on the boards in high school and I felt like my grip was weak for about two months.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 05:03 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Thanks, I don't think I'll go with a glover with such a stiff thumb.

I've been thinking about the v10's or the Rebook KFS pro.
It's just that the v10's doesn't have a smooth palm, there's a lot of "details".

What do you think?
I was actually very impressed with the recent V 10 retail glove. I haven't been able to say that with any CCM/Reebok(RBK) since well before the Vector Pro glove... which was a nice glove with a horrible palm.

Old
07-02-2010, 05:11 PM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
I was actually very impressed with the recent V 10 retail glove. I haven't been able to say that with any CCM/Reebok(RBK) since well before the Vector Pro glove... which was a nice glove with a horrible palm.
Do you use the V10?

Old
07-02-2010, 11:12 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Do you use the V10?
I haven't but I've used enough gloves to know what is good and what isn't.

Personally, I'd go with the X:60s. As far as tighter fitting gloves, they are the best retail glove currently on the market, in my opinion... BUT, I strongly dislike the Reebok/RBK line of gloves, so our personal preferences may differ.

Old
07-03-2010, 04:58 AM
bp spec

What about the Vector Octo Light stick, is it any good?

Whats the difference compared to Crazy Light except the weight?

Old
07-03-2010, 05:35 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
What about the Vector Octo Light stick, is it any good?

Whats the difference compared to Crazy Light except the weight?
Haven't used that either but it's comparable to the U+ CL but has the Octo-taper than was on the Octogun line of sticks.