HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Los Angeles Kings Expected To Be Major Player For Ilya Kovalchuk

Old
06-30-2010, 04:43 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Indeed, Ilya Kovalchuk is very likely to be introduced at a press conference in El Segundo, California in the near future where he will don a Kings jersey and give them the elite game-breaker they need to take them to the next level and beyond.
Man, everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:56 AM
DiehardKingsFan

yup, we definitely needed to add more fuel to the fire...

DiehardKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Chruceg

Quote:
“I don’t feel free to talk about it now, but let’s just say that Mr. Anschutz and Tim were supportive of what I believe, that it has to be done properly,” Lombardi elaborated. “In terms of the overall concept and what I see and where the team is at, as a general manager, I can’t question that they’re behind me.”
Am I the only one who reads this differently then how it's presented in the article?

I realize that Lombardi's comments immediately prior to this quote all say the Kings have a reached a point in development where free agency is a legitimate option but follow my train of thought.

1) Lombardi has consistently indicated that he favors a conservative game plan and does not like to overspend for free agents.
2) There have been a few rumors (hints?, speculations?) that Leiweke is in favor of getting Kovalchuk and that signing him would have his finger prints all over it.
3) The quote indicates that Lombardi had to convince Leiweke and Anschutz that the best way to build the team is his way.

Wouldn't that seem to indicate that despite Kovalchuk being the biggest name he will only be brought to LA if the price is right? That despite ownership's pleas to do something dramatic Lombardi has won the argument, tied a fixed value to Kovalchuk, and will not budge from it?

Of course it could just be Lombardi speaking like a lawyer and not saying anything.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

man that is one massive jinx

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:55 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
Am I the only one who reads this differently then how it's presented in the article?

I realize that Lombardi's comments immediately prior to this quote all say the Kings have a reached a point in development where free agency is a legitimate option but follow my train of thought.

1) Lombardi has consistently indicated that he favors a conservative game plan and does not like to overspend for free agents.
2) There have been a few rumors (hints?, speculations?) that Leiweke is in favor of getting Kovalchuk and that signing him would have his finger prints all over it.
3) The quote indicates that Lombardi had to convince Leiweke and Anschutz that the best way to build the team is his way.

Wouldn't that seem to indicate that despite Kovalchuk being the biggest name he will only be brought to LA if the price is right? That despite ownership's pleas to do something dramatic Lombardi has won the argument, tied a fixed value to Kovalchuk, and will not budge from it?

Of course it could just be Lombardi speaking like a lawyer and not saying anything.
Dang dude, Debbie Downer........But yah.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:57 AM
stonedhenge

I wonder what will be Kopitar's reaction, if Kovy signs here. He is used to be major Kings star (with Doughty), but Kovy will probably take over from here.

stonedhenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:34 AM
silverstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedhenge View Post
I wonder what will be Kopitar's reaction, if Kovy signs here. He is used to be major Kings star (with Doughty), but Kovy will probably take over from here.
He'll binge on some of his *****ng pancakes, and come to camp in the worst shape ever.

or he'll be as excited as the rest of us.

silverstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Seriously, I truly believe someone on this board will kill themselves if Kovy isn't signed here because of all this speculation . . . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:09 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I really get the feeling that all DL is saying is that he isn't gonna go nuts just for Kovalchuk, but that he has a figure in mind that he won't go higher than.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Omni Owl
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

We're such an obvious destination for him to go that he won't end up making it here.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:25 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Indeed.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:45 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post

Your guess is as good as mine but I look at it (because I want to?) in the exact opposite way you have interpreted it, and I add the extensions given to the management group. Taken all together, I think it was TL who won the argument, at least about spending and acquiring a star, and that they are now all on the same page, and that DL/JS now just need to make it work.

Tomorrow cant come fast enough.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:47 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
man that is one massive jinx
Just busted my gut laughing at your avatar

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedhenge View Post
Yeah, I wonder what his reaction will be at the possibility of playing with a 40-50 goal scorer.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Colorado just put Preissing on waivers (buyout), NJ put Pandolfo & Peters on waivers (buyout)

...making room for Kovalchuk. Looks like Kovalchuk to NJ is going to happen.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:12 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Colorado just put Preissing on waivers (buyout), NJ put Pandolfo & Peters on waivers (buyout)

How do you figure? they basically broke even(before buyouts announced) after signing Clarkson.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
How do you figure? they basically broke even(before buyouts announced) after signing Clarkson.
Maybe, but Lou is pretty good at making things work and I don't think he is happy letting Kovalchuk walk for nothing after the deadline trade.

I just don't want to get too excited about noon tomorrow...

Old
06-30-2010, 01:16 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

[QUOTE=Sydor25;26627136]Maybe, but Lou is pretty good at making things work and I don't think he is happy letting Kovalchuk walk for nothing after the deadline trade.

I just don't want to get too excited about noon tomorrow...[/QUOTE]

Same here.

I just don't know how they can fit a $5M+ D-Man and Kovy with 5 other roster spots to fill.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Anyone else keep thinking Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder when they read the title?

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:20 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:

If Kovalchuk was going to stay in NJ he would have resigned already.

Kovy may not end up in LA, but one place I'm positive he's not going is ****ing New Jersey.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:32 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:

I don't buy it. Kovi wants to test the free agent waters tomorrow regardless of what NJ does today. Maybe they are making these moves to make sure they have room to sign him, but if Kovi would rather play somewhere else, that's where he will end up

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Lombardi in the past has attempted to land a big name. Chara, Drury, Briere, Hossa, Gaborik, Havlat... he made pitches and they all rejected for one reason or another. The timing wasn't right at the time as those players wanted to go play for winners or received offers that the Kings were not prepared to match.

Now that the core and identity of this team has been established, Los Angeles has become a more desirable destination, and that player who is deemed the "right fit" is available. It makes too much sense. For the Kings not to sign Kovalchuk would be a major disappointment. How many players in the NHL are capable of scoring 50 goals? There aren't many, and they don't grow on trees.

With Lombardi and Hextall speaking out about the need to improve 5-on-5 scoring, the Kings can address that issue with the addition of one impact player. The presence of Kovalchuk will also elevate Kopitar, Doughty, Johnson, etc. They're all going to be more productive and make the Kings a lethal team to contend with.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:06 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Lombardi in the past has attempted to land a big name. Chara, Drury, Briere, Hossa, Gaborik, Havlat... he made pitches and they all rejected for one reason or another. The timing wasn't right at the time as those players wanted to go play for winners or received offers that the Kings were not prepared to match.

Now that the core and identity of this team has been established, Los Angeles has become a more desirable destination, and that player who is deemed the "right fit" is available. It makes too much sense. For the Kings not to sign Kovalchuk would be a major disappointment. How many players in the NHL are capable of scoring 50 goals? There aren't many, and they don't grow on trees.

With Lombardi and Hextall speaking out about the need to improve 5-on-5 scoring, the Kings can address that issue with the addition of one impact player. The presence of Kovalchuk will also elevate Kopitar, Doughty, Johnson, etc. They're all going to be more productive and make the Kings a lethal team to contend with.
Let's just hope Lombardi realizes this without getting obsessed with his numbers, charts, and boxes. I just want him to pretend to be flexible tomorrow, not go into negotiations with one number and sticking to it like a stubborn curmudgeon.

Money itself is not the issue. AEG has plenty of it and is willing to spend whatever on a star player to in turn make more. The cap hit is the only issue, which can easily be worked around with a shrewd contract length and front loaded type deal. Just make it work, Dean. Otherwise you'll have a lot of depressed Kings' fans if our big addition this postseason is another aging vet past his prime.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
If Kovalchuk was going to stay in NJ he would have resigned already.

Kovy may not end up in LA, but one place I'm positive he's not going is ****ing New Jersey.
Not necessarily, he could just be waiting to see if anyone will give him that $100 million contract. Maybe NJ ends up with the best offer.