7 years x $6 million per.

Get it done.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:03 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
I really hope the Wild don't sign Koivu to a 7 year deal at $6 million annually. That's a mistake waiting to happen.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I really hope the Wild don't sign Koivu to a 7 year deal at $6 million annually. That's a mistake waiting to happen.
Care to expand?

He's 27, our captain and best all-around player. If Kesler gets $5.5 to play behind Sedin, $6 million shouldn't be outrageous for Miko.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:42 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Cruise down this list and tell me where you think he'd be with a competent top-six winger. While Kesler is a good comparable, I think his play & leadership warrants a $6m/year deal. I wouldn't want to go much higher than that though.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Kari Takko

7 years/$40.25mil

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I do think he makes a good point though, 6-year $30m might not be quite enough, but I could see either a longer contract with a diminishing salary to keep the cap hit at or under $5m or a 5-6 year deal at $5.5m per. I don't think he's worth $6m+ at this time, although when he puts up 71 points on a bad knee and shoulder with jack squat on his right wing...

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Kari Takko

The danger with those LONG term contracts is that they last longer than the current CBA. The closer we get to the CBA being renegotiated, the better chance a team might get "caught" in one of those contracts if the league changes the way they figure the salary cap.

I've heard talk that they're going to discuss actual dollars vs. average dollars.

Old
06-30-2010, 11:54 AM
nickschultzfan

The problem that GMs have is that the "fair value" of players is constantly being re-adjusted. Even with recent cap increase, there is less cap space than ever. Also, just because another GM gave out a contract for a similiar player doesn't mean that is the intelligent value of your player's contract. It could be that the other GM is an idiot.

Take the story of Gomez, Havlat, and Frolov. While they play C, RW, and LW respectively, and have major differences, they are essentially 2nd line players on a top team, 1st line players on a bottom team, and are expected to put in around 65 points.

A few seasons ago, Gomez got around 7 million.

Last season, Havlat got 5 million, but he probably lost 1 million because of injures. If healthy, his true UFA salary probably would have been around 6 million.

Now, Frolov is going to a UFA, and will probably get around 5 million.

In all of these cases, the value of the player drops immediately after the free agency period, because less cap space is available league-wide. Kind of like a new car. It drops in value immediate after you drive it off the lot. League salaries are dropping every year. I just hope players like Koivu realize that.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Takko View Post
The danger with those LONG term contracts is that they last longer than the current CBA. The closer we get to the CBA being renegotiated, the better chance a team might get "caught" in one of those contracts if the league changes the way they figure the salary cap.

I've heard talk that they're going to discuss actual dollars vs. average dollars.
I'm fully of the belief that if they reneg the CBA they will have to make a provision for these LTC's.

Old
06-30-2010, 12:32 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Takko View Post

possibly could be grandfathered in

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Kari Takko

No way should those contracts be grandfathered in. Teams that used these contracts were not operating within the "Spirit" of the CBA, and as such, shouldn't be let off the hook.

I'm not talking about the long contracts that allowed a lower yearly salary, I'm talking about the ones where the player is compensated 10mil in the first year and 1mil in the 10th year.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah, but the teams that made those deals (Chicago, Detroit, Philly, Tampa Bay, etc) are way too powerful for them to screw over in the CBA. The NHL will bend over backwards for those teams just like MLB caters to the Yankees.

Old
06-30-2010, 05:14 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Care to expand?

He's 27, our captain and best all-around player. If Kesler gets $5.5 to play behind Sedin, $6 million shouldn't be outrageous for Miko.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
Cruise down this list and tell me where you think he'd be with a competent top-six winger. While Kesler is a good comparable, I think his play & leadership warrants a $6m/year deal. I wouldn't want to go much higher than that though.
Kelser was signed to a 6 year, $5 million dollar annual deal. And while that may or may not be a strong place to start negotiations for Koivu, doesn't exactly mean that's where talks should start.

At this point in time, Mikko Koivu hasn't produced at a level that should be much more than a $5 million annually contract. I get that he's the best player on team, captain, fan favorite, and all around just a good player/person/teammate. But at the same time, he's not a guy who's going be atop of the league in points, goals, or what have you.

In my personal opinion, when you're approaching paying a player $6+ million a season, that player better be one of the best in all the league. And as much as we all like Mikko, he's not that guy and likely never will be. While it's nice for all of us to wonder what level Mikko would produce at with an elite winger alongside of him, that's all it's likely to be at this point. Dreaming. And less we forget, Andrew Brunette is certainly no slouch as a winger. Is it possible that Mikko has also had some of his best years in his career with Bruno on his wing and not just solely the other way around? I'd like to think it is. Who knows where Koivu will be (and playing alongside) a year or two from now. Chances are that player likely will not be as productive as Andrew Brunette.

Right now what I see is many having no issue with paying Mikko that type of money because they're expecting him to produce at a higher level with players that currently are not on the roster. Or what he'd be like with players who are not here. There's only one common problem with that, this team does not have those players as it's currently constructed. And we can't expect them to in the near future as well. Teams get in trouble when they start handing out contracts based upon projected production. Not the actual body of work.

Again, I don't want this to be taken the wrong way here. I love the guy and all. But there also should be a reasonable limit to what this team should be offering. And a 7 year deal at $6 per is approaching what I would consider a problem contract. If Mikko wants the years, I'd be fine with giving them to him. But he'd have to expect the money to go down as well. Especially if he wants to realistically compete any time soon.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:48 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I think Mikko's value on the open market is GREATER than $6mil, so I'd have no problem with that deal at all.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:04 PM
saywut

6 years, 30-40M total. We get him through his prime years. Assuming the CBA remains the same on 35+, his next contract would come at 34. Not a fan of anything contract over 6 years, and even a 6 year deal has to be an elite player for me to stomach.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:23 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
the sad fact is that there aren't likely to be any players like him on the FA market because teams tend to keep them. We have no one internally with the kind of potential that can replace him. We have no one to trade that would garner a player like him (unless we trade like for like and use Koivu to get his own replacement). Koivu has us over the proverbial barrel and his agent is smart enough to see that he'll get a big chunk of money if this team wants to have anything resembling success in the next couple seasons.

$6 million, even $6.5 is overpayment for the play he brings to the table, but we'll pay it anyway.

Go to a large music festival and drink out of some communal barrel where everyone is dipping their hands and cups or pay $12 for a 20oz bottle of water? Sure dysentery or proper hydration at an exorbitant price?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:28 PM
BigT2002

Mikko wants to stay here and called it home to Russo. Going to be that kind of talk that keeps the pressure on GMCF to get this done

Old
06-30-2010, 10:34 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

not to be a cynic...okay, i guess to be a cynic: they all say that. It makes them look less the bad guy if negotiations should take a turn. CYA...if you can avoid harsh feelings from the fans, do so. That said, there is no reason to doubt him either. But I just take that sort of thing with a grain of salt I guess. I feel so ashamed for doubting!

Old
06-30-2010, 10:36 PM
BigT2002

He doesn't have the ego like Gabby had. And if Saku stayed in Montreal all those years when he could of booked it when they weren't the best in the league, I'd imagine that trait passed on

Old
06-30-2010, 10:43 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Hey, don't get all bristly! Just a possible interpretation based on reading similar statements from just about every single free agent ever. (excluding the obviously disgruntled ones). We're inclined to believe them because of our egos.

Old
06-30-2010, 10:46 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
He doesn't have the ego like Gabby had. And if Saku stayed in Montreal all those years when he could of booked it when they weren't the best in the league, I'd imagine that trait passed on
Whoa, easy with the generalizations!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:58 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i just let the ego comments slide now--no use arguing it as I've never seen reason in the explanations given or seen any more ego out of him than i've seen out of most NHLrs. Personally i think he has all the personality of a stump. Certainly not cuddly but never once did he do or say anything that left me pissed. In fact i applauded him once for berating an autograph seeker (clearly a $ hound ebayer with a half dozen random items) for trying to hurry a little kid out of the way.

Old
07-01-2010, 12:16 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i just let the ego comments slide now--no use arguing it as I've never seen reason in the explanations given or seen any more ego out of him than i've seen out of most NHLrs. Personally i think he has all the personality of a stump. Certainly not cuddly but never once did he do or say anything that left me pissed. In fact i applauded him once for berating an autograph seeker (clearly a $ hound ebayer with a half dozen random items) for trying to hurry a little kid out of the way.
I've met the guy. He def. has a personality, its just dry in interviews. He hates that crap

Old
07-01-2010, 01:08 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

7 years at 5.5 million a year...(38.5 million total)

8 million the first, 8 million the second, 6.5 million the third, 6 million the fourth, 5 million the fifth, 3 million the 6th and 2 million the 7th.

I think could work out. I don't remember if they can drop off that much but it works out to 38.5 million for 7 years. He would be 34 at the time and pretty much at the end of his prime...

This way, he has the job security while taking a bit of a pay cut.

BTW...

Stastny is getting paid 6.6 million, Richards 5.75 million, Horcroff 5.5 million, Carter 5 million, McDonald, 4.7 million...

Those are just some numbers

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:17 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

The only problem with comparing those numbers are that the contracts were made in a different time (i.e. Stastny got his deal in '08, aka the year where every team has a contract which they overpaid) or are extremely long term (Richards, although his was also a huge gamble at the time it was made).

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote