HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton Re-signing Imminent

Old
06-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
God help us if we keep Boucher and Leighton as our tandem...
God?

Anyway, maybe it means we will sign another dmen, winger to replace Asham and re-sign Coburn, Carcillo and Powe? And make a tade dead line move for a decent goalie?

That is if we in the playoff position.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:36 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
As much as I loathe Holmgren's management of this team... he has clearly gone into previous offseasons with a coherent plan.

1) Timonen, Hartnell, Briere, and Pitkanen trade.

2) Year of goofy defensive moves.

3) Emery and Pronger trade.

4) As a body, the crap he's doing is completely incoherent to an organized approach to this offseason... it appears he is quite literally throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks. High priced defender doesn't mesh with higher priced goalies...
2 and 3 I wouldn't really say fit the required description of a plan. I mean, he made the Carle trade and then sat with Jones on IR for 3 months and did nothing, not really a plan.

3, I wouldn't call Emery a plan. Emery was a stopgap because Homer clearly had no idea what the **** to do and thought he could get by with Emery for a year. What was the longterm plan there? Nothin.

Holmgren kind of defines a "fly by the seat of your pants" GM.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:36 AM
dawkins121

Meh. If he signs Leighton on the cheap then brings in someone like Biron or Niitty or maybe even Turco, I wouldn't be that pissed off. I mean look at the current goalie market. Yeah sure there are a lot of them, but do you guys really look at any of them and say, "THAT is a guy who can win the cup!". Each one is flawed in some way with the most sure thing being Nabakov who is looking for big $ and isn't exactly a playoff stud.

If we can sign two question marks for not a whole lot of money, shore up the third pairing with the rest of our space, and pray to god that there's a hot hand to ride come April and May then it might not be the worst strategy.

Would I rather have someone proven like Nabakov? Yeah absolutely, but if Holmgren talked to him and it looks like that he's not in the cards then screw it let's go for broke on defense and hope for the best.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:37 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Ugh, this statement is a bit extreme.

For me, Leighton would be an IDEAL backup. Good size, plays well enough for us to compete in games and is only 28-29 right now.
What are you talking about?

I'll say this, as Jester alluded to above...there's no reason to do this now. Leighton's agent is going to be looking to get some cash. The only way Leighton's gonna sign now is if it's a good deal for him, which means we'd have to overpay since it's prior to July 1st 12:00 pm.

Hmm. Overpay. Where have I heard that before?

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:39 AM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

3, I wouldn't call Emery a plan. Emery was a stopgap because Homer clearly had no idea what the **** to do and thought he could get by with Emery for a year. What was the longterm plan there? Nothin.
I disagree, Emery was essentially a tryout for a franchise goalie. If he didn't get hurt, I guarantee he is sitting on a 3ish million contract here to be 'our guy.'

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:41 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
1) Panaccio's an idiot. He thinks "Mason" played for Hitchcock -- he doesn't realize that there is Steve Mason (CBJ) and Chris Mason (STL).

2) Panaccio answered his own question. He asks if it will end with Leighton. If it does, then Leighton's not going to compete with anyone for goal. I don't want Leighton back -- I hope he dies tomorrow -- but I'm confident that Holmgren (gulp) will do everything he can to get another goalie (and hopefully through FA)
you're an idiot for saying something like that.

EDIT: I dont mind having Leighton back. as a backup goaltender to Turco,Nabokov ect.. But as a starter and as Boucher as the other option? uhhh NO. disaster.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:43 AM
FlyerEra2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I'll say this, as Jester alluded to above...there's no reason to do this now.
I think you guys are just assuming the worst. Maybe we offered Leighton a low salary for a couple seasons and he's strongly considering signing it to avoid being Biron'd. We could still bring in a guy like Turco or Mason afterwards and have them 'compete' for the job.

Turco + Leighton or Mason + Leighton would both be great goalie tandems for us IMO.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:47 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

There is no way we go into next year with Leighton/Boucher. If Leighton is signed, it has to mean the end of Boucher. But for me...if Leighton wants anything over 925k per, I'd rather just keep Boucher and forget about Leighton.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:48 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
you're an idiot for saying something like that.

EDIT: I dont mind having Leighton back. as a backup goaltender to Turco,Nabokov ect.. But as a starter and as Boucher as the other option? uhhh NO. disaster.
Relax, I wasn't being serious.

On a serious note though…there’s no way that Holmgren can justify going into the season with Leighton and Boucher. He acknowledged before that something needed to be done about the guys in the net. He gets these obsessions each year with what he needs to do for the lineup (think puckmoving dmen)…I think he’ll look elsewhere.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:50 AM
CptCannon

Just keep Boosh as the backup and get a real starter.

Keep your head straight, Homer!

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:53 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

Holmgren kind of defines a "fly by the seat of your pants" GM.
which brings us to the question. Can a team with StanleyCup aspirations have a guy like this as GM? This past post season aside where we all know why we got to the Cup Final. The reasons have been beaten to death.
Like i said in a another thread, I am hoping Holmgren sits down with Laviolette and finds out the type of player he wants and who he would like in goal. Common sense would be in order for once. Any coach, GM, fan, sportswriter who thinks a team that is a Cup contender can win with Leighton and Boucher as your #1 and #2 needs their heads checked.
The "window" is closing fast with this group if they want to win. They have some money to spend and we have a black hole in the pipes. I dont care if they sign 2 of Volchenkov/Martin/Hamhuis. If we go with Leighton and Boucher as our goalies it will fail. Especially against teams like Pittsburgh and Washington.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:54 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I wouldn't mind Leighton as a backup. Just don't want to see him starting anymore.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:54 AM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
God help us if we keep Boucher and Leighton as our tandem...
this

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:56 AM
jb**

Quote:
In all seriousness, WTF is Homer's plan with this offseason?

1a) We traded for Hamhuis' rights; tried and failed to sign him.

1b) Yesterday there were reports that Holmgren was all hot and bothered about Volchenkov, and I read somewhere today that we're also interested in Paul Martin. Given all those options, and your interest in 'em... why trade for Hamhuis' rights?

2a) Related to the above, he was babbling about keeping all these D, which would obviously constrict our cap space and leave our dick in the wind on signing a goalie of any merit.

2b) We "trade" for the negotiating rights to Nabokov, and are allowed to talk to Turco (who we apparently made a contract offer to).

2c) We now have an "imminent" re-signing of Michael Leighton? Why? The two goalies you've already talked to are unsigned and probably just want to see what the market is like. There is absolutely no good reason to sign Michael Leighton today... did we learn nothing from last year?

Stop running around like a friggin chicken with its head cut off.
the bold, there is a good reason, Shooter is in panick mdoe right now. Why i have no diea. That is my take. No one os goign to offer him a starting role or imo even compete for one. I doubt they will give as much $ for a backup role that the flyers would. Shooter has the upper hand imo, though i could be dead wrong.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:01 PM
bennysflyers16

If he signs him to = or less than Boosh and he gets ride of Boosh and Leighton is the back-up, fine. But so help me ****ing god, if he is our starter , I am writing a letter in all CAPS. He can't be this ****ing stupid , can he ??? I start holidays today, and this news will put me in a ****ing brutal mood.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:01 PM
jb**

Leightonand Vesa Toskala come on down, your next on the carousel

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:36 PM
BernieParent

Leighton's agent probably e-mailed a link of this page to Holmgren, and asked for $1 mil for every photo of Leighton that Holmgren sees on-screen.

I'm not too worried – yet – about this, and hope Holmgren is of the same mind as our collective wisdom here: Leighton is good enough to be the back-up guy at a reasonable (<$1 mil) rate, and may still break out. Leighton's signing should signal that Boucher is being moved/waived/etc.

I'm curious about the rules governing time restrictions on offering a contract to a UFA by his previous team. Couldn't find anything in my cursory search.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:37 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

I can't imagine a scenario in which the Flyers cannot walk out of this market without a new goaltender. We'll see if Ellis goes to Montreal today, and if he does, that will constrict the market a little bit, but I can't see SJ ditching Nabokov to get someone like Mason or Turco. Wouldn't shock me to see SJ send an offer sheet in Niemi's direction, an offer that Chicago certainly couldn't match.

And then, who are the other teams testing this market? I see TB, ATL, DAL, OTT, WSH looking at options. Add CHI to the mix if Niemi is swiped. But these teams are all strapped with their current goaltenders so I think they will be looking at second string options like Niittymaki, Theodore, Biron, etc. That is, besides Tampa, but I think Mason goes there anyway.

If Nabokov or Turco isn't a Flyer come July 5, add this to a list of Homer's mistakes. Personally I think(hope) it will be Turco as Nabokov bolts to KHL.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Vitto79

If true they likely have a deal to send Boucher out

I would take him as the NYR back up for a year. cheaper option then the UFA's likely

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:40 PM
CTU2fan

I am trying to convince myself that the "plan" is Leighton as the backup, and signing him now just gives Homer some leverage (we've got 2 vets signed, we don't NEED Nabby/Turco/whoever). Then once the starter's signed we move Boosh for a 7th or whatever. I'm 100% fine with Leighton as the backup, especially if they signed an older guy like Nabokov, because you'd want to decrease his workload...say 50/30 so he's fresh for the playoffs.

But if the end plan is Leighton/Boucher I might lose my mind.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:41 PM
ShelbyFlyer

I am hoping it is on the cheap, back up money, and Boosh will be traded. Although Leighton had some bad games and let in the worst Cup goal in history, Boosh down right scares me when he plays. Especially when he leaves the crease to handle the puck.

Tell him he can compete for #1. Tell whoever it is we get in FA they are the #1. After they are signed let Lavy figure it out.

ShelbyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:43 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I wouldn't mind Leighton...

assuming every potential deal with any legit No. 1 goalie falls through.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Morinisbear

I am all for this move. I would love to see Leighton and "someone" battle for the number one spot. As long as Boucher is gone, I am happy with this.

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:50 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Ew. Holmgren, don't panic. Do not make a panic move, it's not even July 1st yet. You lowballed Turco and Nabokov, both of which just want to test the market and see what's out there before committing. Give it time, give yourself options and flexibility. Don't ruin your team's chances, please.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
In all seriousness, WTF is Homer's plan with this offseason?

1a) We traded for Hamhuis' rights; tried and failed to sign him.

1b) Yesterday there were reports that Holmgren was all hot and bothered about Volchenkov, and I read somewhere today that we're also interested in Paul Martin. Given all those options, and your interest in 'em... why trade for Hamhuis' rights?

2a) Related to the above, he was babbling about keeping all these D, which would obviously constrict our cap space and leave our dick in the wind on signing a goalie of any merit.

2b) We "trade" for the negotiating rights to Nabokov, and are allowed to talk to Turco (who we apparently made a contract offer to).

2c) We now have an "imminent" re-signing of Michael Leighton? Why? The two goalies you've already talked to are unsigned and probably just want to see what the market is like. There is absolutely no good reason to sign Michael Leighton today... did we learn nothing from last year?

Stop running around like a friggin chicken with its head cut off.
Please do not stop sending in your thuoghts. I get a laugh every time I read them. By the way you should be a writer for some comedy show

Hockeypete49 is online now   Reply With Quote