HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Fire Nieuwendyk | Nieuwendyk Fired (Post #903)

Old
06-29-2010, 11:17 AM
TrueGrit

vCash: 500
You guys sound like you're on the rag 90% of the time, quit *****in and let him do his job, he's only been around 1 year and in my opinion is doing a good job of rebuilding the organization..

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starnsy View Post
in my opinion is doing a good job of rebuilding the organization..
How is he doing a good job of this?

Really.

There's been numerous chances for him to trade away players to get a surplus of draft picks. But has chosen not to.

Outside of trading for Kari Lehtonen, he's done nothing to rebuild the organization. And even with trading Kari, he traded away one of our only defensive prospects.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Chad_

Yeah, he's not rebuilding the team (nor do I think he should), but I 100 percent agree with the statement of, "you guys sound like you're on the rag 90% of the time."

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Yeah, he's not rebuilding the team (nor do I think he should), but I 100 percent agree with the statement of, "you guys sound like you're on the rag 90% of the time."

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:44 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djungelurban View Post
...the Petersen signing... Well atleast it wasn't as bad as Barch... Petersen I can live with, he occasionally mixes things up atleast... Barch however... Ugh... Makes me sick...
I put the Petersen and Barch signings in the same category: higher dollar value than their AHL replacements would have been.

Wathier, in his short time in the NHL proved he has what it takes to be at least a 13th forward. He is a fighter who actually has some size and even a smidge of fighting ability. He is also better than Barch at virtually everything in terms of skill, hockey sense, etc.

Petersen is a more expensive Gagnon. No, we don't know if Gagnon is a guy you can lean on over the course of a season. But, as a team on a tight internal budget every dollar counts. When this is the case, a Petersen on your 4th line is a luxury. Go with the internally developed cheaper option. It just seems to be common sense.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:49 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
You guys sound like you're on the rag 90% of the time, quit *****in and let him do his job, he's only been around 1 year and in my opinion is doing a good job of rebuilding the organization..
Meh. For the second straight year our offseason has started two months before the big shiny prize is handed out. We're allowed to ***** and moan, and now is the time to do it. I'll agree to get off the rag when his awesome decisions start paying off.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:40 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Yikes, I can't believe I forgot about failing to sign Zubov. That goes right to the top of the list.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:58 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
The Stars never even made Zubov a offer.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:04 PM
aisforaaron83

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
The Stars never even made Zubov a offer.
This is not true. they made 2 offers. both were lower than he wanted.

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Chad_

Who cares if the Stars did or did not offer Zubov a contract (they did)? We've been over this all before, about whether or not the risk of an always injured Zubov was worth taking. Not only did the Stars feel the risk wasn't worth a possible reward, 29 other NHL teams thought the same.

Lest we also forget Zubov partially wanted to play in Russia because he thought he'd have a better chance at making the olympic team.

Old
06-29-2010, 03:12 PM
________

This info could be wrong, but it was reported.

That situation apparently is not in Dallas. New Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk said he would like to allow Zubov to continue his recovery and then talk with him later in the summer. He said he has not made an offer to Zubov because he needs to know more about the defenseman's recovery.

"He's gone through a very serious injury and a very serious surgery, and he's still in a very serious rehab," Nieuwendyk said. "We'd love to talk to him after he has more information about his recovery. We want to keep that door open, but we can't do it until we have more information."

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...irections.html

Old
06-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Chad_

And if you recall, the two sides exchanged numbers with Zubov's side wanting a two year deal over what he was making in his 'current' contract with the Stars wanting to give a one year, incentive heavy deal.

Old
06-29-2010, 03:24 PM
________

Yeah, but discussing it and making a actual offer are different situations.
It's like going out on the FA then calling a few of the top FA's just to see what the asking price is but not making a offer since it's too high.

Old
06-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Yeah, but discussing it and making a actual offer are different situations.
True enough. It was poorly worded on my part.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:45 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
I have had it

After another piece of crap first round draft pick I am done with him. His hiring of Crawford, awful. Even the thought of trading Ribs, which now seems to be something he is forced to do, is awful. The way he has dealt with Modano, awful. His contract with Ott, awful. I know ownership is part of the problem but come on. He has set this team back even further.

Fire Nieuwendyk
Um

Any interest in the Hayes brothers for Campbell?

Campbell although not a top need for Stars at moment is a great prospect ,,,, I and many other Hawk fans were hoping we could move up in draft to get him

Defensive prospects is your need

Lalonde + for Campbell work for you

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:54 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

A few Stars fans may be peeved because they didn't get the shiny toys they wanted in the draft, but Stars management is really high on him, to the point of obsession. It's kinda weird.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:23 AM
________

Some thoughts from Nieuwendyk.

Nieuwendyk firmly thinks the Stars can win the Stanley Cup next season.

Nieuwendyk believes the Stars have too many left-handed centers and too many skilled forwards overall.

I'm not going to comment on the left handed center part, but there's a problem with too many skilled forwards? Nieuwendyk's dream roster is probably 12 Steve Ott's at forward.

Old
06-30-2010, 02:29 AM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
A few Stars fans may be peeved because they didn't get the shiny toys they wanted in the draft, but Stars management is really high on him, to the point of obsession. It's kinda weird.
I agree, with the options available Campbell was a good selection a lot better one then Fowler or Gormley. Campbell has a lot higher upside then either one.

Old
06-30-2010, 07:44 AM
vofty

Quote:
Some thoughts from Nieuwendyk.

Nieuwendyk firmly thinks the Stars can win the Stanley Cup next season.

Nieuwendyk believes the Stars have too many left-handed centers and too many skilled forwards overall.

I'm not going to comment on the left handed center part, but there's a problem with too many skilled forwards? Nieuwendyk's dream roster is probably 12 Steve Ott's at forward.

Wow...just wow... I guess that is what happens when you learn to be a GM from Burke. At least Heika hasn't been gulping on the kool-aid like apparently Joe has.

Quote:
Will the Stars be a good team next season? There's a very good chance they won't.
Good to taper those Stanley Cup aspirations of Joe's with a good dose of reality.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:04 AM
Chad_

I don't have any issue with Nieuwendyk being optimistic. I'd rather the optimism than the pessimism.

Old
06-30-2010, 09:32 AM
txdude5101

So I think we should be happy with a First Overall pick next season!?

txdude5101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:54 AM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdude5101 View Post
So I think we should be happy with a First Overall pick next season!?
Thanks for comin out...

I agree, nothing wrong with being optimistic and I also agree with too much skill. Not saying we have to unload, but we need to build around it. I like the idea of Ott - Wandell - Armstrong, however that will come at a steep price. I would also rebuild our pathetic fourth line. Peterson out, Barch out.

We have a great foundation

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Thanks for comin out...

I agree, nothing wrong with being optimistic and I also agree with too much skill. Not saying we have to unload, but we need to build around it. I like the idea of Ott - Wandell - Armstrong, however that will come at a steep price. I would also rebuild our pathetic fourth line. Peterson out, Barch out.

We have a great foundation
Too late.....still can't figure out what Joe sees in him, it's pretty much a wasted roster spot that could have gone to Sceviour or Sawada. Hopefully we see some new blood at forward next year, and, hopefully, Joe figures out how to fix our defense, because if we go into next season with Robi as our top blueliner, guaranteed we're missing the playoffs again.

06-30-2010, 12:13 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
I don't have any issue with Nieuwendyk being optimistic. I'd rather the optimism than the pessimism.
More than any other single trait, a person in management needs to set realistic expectations. Optimism is great for fans; we should all start each season with a renewed sense of hope. A manager being optimistic to the point of delusion is a recipe for disaster.

Is it technically possible that the Stars win the Cup next year? Absolutely. For those of you optimists so inclined, I would suggest placing a $50 bet on our boys in Vegas. I'm sure the odds will pay off like a mf'er.

Old
06-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Armstrong was never going to sign here. He wants too much money and besides we're already paying Ott darn near 3 million dollars for the 3rd line. They're not going to bring in another expensive third line winger.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote