HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton Re-signing Imminent

Old
06-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

vCash: 500
If Leighton is our starter, then our 3rd pairing better be something involving two of Martin, Volchenkov, or Hamhuis.

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:00 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
I disagree, Emery was essentially a tryout for a franchise goalie. If he didn't get hurt, I guarantee he is sitting on a 3ish million contract here to be 'our guy.'
Considering he made that signing before he even knew how the UFA market was going to pan out (not like everybody else was interested in Emery), I'd say it was a rash move without a lot of thought behind it.

Also, it's not a good time to hold 'tryouts for a franchise goalie' when you get sacrificed your future for a 34 year-old d-man.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Flyerfan4life

its good to see at least a few people understand what Homer is doing..

signing Leighton is a good move, hate him or not, he deserves to be back..

now personaly as much as i'd like to see him as our starter, i do feel its best both for him and the team for whoever else is here in net, for them to "fight" it out at training camp for the position to start..

i dont like the idea of handing someone a position based on salary or assumed ability level..

having the 2 main goalies fight for the right to start, will keep them both honest, and make dam sure their A-games are lined up and ready to go..

but im stil pulling for Leights.. Go man Go..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:17 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Please do not stop sending in your thuoghts. I get a laugh every time I read them. By the way you should be a writer for some comedy show
He's right. There's no reason to sign Leighton today. What team is going to give him a better set of circumstances on the free agent market with Mason, Turco, Nabokov, and potentially Ellis still out there? Nobody. This is Leighton's only shot to be a starting goaltender and should jump at the opportunity right away if Holmgren is dumb enough to offer him a contract to be the starter.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:17 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post

now personaly as much as i'd like to see him as our starter, i do feel its best both for him and the team for whoever else is here in net, for them to "fight" it out at training camp for the position to start..

i dont like the idea of handing someone a position based on salary or assumed ability level..

having the 2 main goalies fight for the right to start, will keep them both honest, and make dam sure their A-games are lined up and ready to go..

im not crazy about leights, but he is good for team morale and much better than boosh, so whats the harm in signing him and then waiving boosh based on whether or not we get nabby/biron/turco/mason or whoever...
valiquette

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:18 PM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
In all seriousness, WTF is Homer's plan with this offseason?

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:23 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:

I'm assuming that you're over the age of 10, and if that's true and you've really been a Flyer fan for life, I'd like to point out that if the Flyers go into the year with Leighton/Boucher we will have our worst goalie [tandom] in the last 15+ years with the exception of Jeff Hackett, who could at least blame it on vertigo.

Why would a team competing for the Cup ever want to do that?

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:32 PM
FlyerEra2010

I still don't understand why so many of you guys are assuming he didn't offer him a low contract just like he did with Nabby and Turco. I'll be upset too if he actually does sign him for 2 million or something like that, but the odds of that happening are very slim.

Pretty much no one wants to see Leighton/Boucher as our tandem next season, but that doesn't mean some of us wouldn't like to have Leighton back. Fact is Leighton was CLEARLY our best goalie last season. Better than Emery and much better than Boucher. Not exactly saying a lot, I know, but we've proven we can win games with him in net. Yes, the Finals were a disaster for him, but I'm willing to give the man another chance based on the rest of his play last season. Get him signed to a reasonable deal for around what Boucher is making, trade/waive Boucher, and then continue going after another guy like Turco or Mason. Would you guys really hate it all that much if that's Homer's plan?

No need to start panicking and assuming this means Leighton/Boucher is what we're going with.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
In all seriousness, WTF is Homer's plan with this offseason?

1a) We traded for Hamhuis' rights; tried and failed to sign him.

1b) Yesterday there were reports that Holmgren was all hot and bothered about Volchenkov, and I read somewhere today that we're also interested in Paul Martin. Given all those options, and your interest in 'em... why trade for Hamhuis' rights?

2a) Related to the above, he was babbling about keeping all these D, which would obviously constrict our cap space and leave our dick in the wind on signing a goalie of any merit.

2b) We "trade" for the negotiating rights to Nabokov, and are allowed to talk to Turco (who we apparently made a contract offer to).

2c) We now have an "imminent" re-signing of Michael Leighton? Why? The two goalies you've already talked to are unsigned and probably just want to see what the market is like. There is absolutely no good reason to sign Michael Leighton today... did we learn nothing from last year?

Stop running around like a friggin chicken with its head cut off.
The problem with all of this is the use of such phrases as, "There were reports". There is a lot of conjecture involved. This is why folks go nuts over Eklund, because they act as if every bit of rumor or hint of "talks" is true.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I'm assuming that you're over the age of 10, and if that's true and you've really been a Flyer fan for life, I'd like to point out that if the Flyers go into the year with Leighton/Boucher we will have our worst goalie [tandom] in the last 15+ years with the exception of Jeff Hackett, who could at least blame it on vertigo.

Why would a team competing for the Cup ever want to do that?
So... 2009's Emery + Boucher > 2010's Leighton + Boucher?

Old
06-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
I still don't understand why so many of you guys are assuming he didn't offer him a low contract just like he did with Nabby and Turco. I'll be upset too if he actually does sign him for 2 million or something like that, but the odds of that happening are very slim.

Pretty much no one wants to see Leighton/Boucher as our tandem next season, but that doesn't mean some of us wouldn't like to have Leighton back. Fact is Leighton was CLEARLY our best goalie last season. Better than Emery and much better than Boucher. Not exactly saying a lot, I know, but we've proven we can win games with him in net. Yes, the Finals were a disaster for him, but I'm willing to give the man another chance based on the rest of his play last season. Get him signed to a reasonable deal for around what Boucher is making, trade/waive Boucher, and then continue going after another guy like Turco or Mason. Would you guys really hate it all that much if that's Homer's plan?

No need to start panicking and assuming this means Leighton/Boucher is what we're going with.
I agree with everything you said except this. Emery played well in the few games that he played healthy and then he played with a hip that was literally deteriorating and dying. That's when he started to lose a lot. So you can't really compare Leighton to Emery and say Leighton was better. It's just not a fair or accurate comparison.

With that said, if you take Emery out of the equation, the only goalie Leighton had to compete with was Boucher so it's not like he had much competition, did he?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
So... 2009's Emery + Boucher > 2010's Leighton + Boucher?
That's not accurate.

2009 was a little hint of healthy Emery, then a little hint of injured Emery, then a little hint of Boucher, then an ass-load of Leighton, then a little bit more of Boucher. So it was really more Leighton+Boucher then Emery+Boucher.

Old
06-30-2010, 12:43 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:

Curious, exactly how long has your life been so far?

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:46 PM
PhilaFlyers

Please Homer. NO

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:46 PM
FlyerEra2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I agree with everything you said except this. Emery played well in the few games that he played healthy and then he played with a hip that was literally deteriorating and dying. That's when he started to lose a lot. So you can't really compare Leighton to Emery and say Leighton was better. It's just not a fair or accurate comparison.

With that said, if you take Emery out of the equation, the only goalie Leighton had to compete with was Boucher so it's not like he had much competition, did he?
Yeah, that's a fair point. I was unintentionally being misleading there, Leighton was better than Emery last season if you compare their years as a whole, but the injury obviously factored into that. Regardless though, he's an upgrade over Boucher as the backup and I'd be stunned if he's been offered anything that isn't very comparable to what Boucher makes now.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Garbage Goal

If Leighton gets re-signed then it has to be as the backup and Boosh has to be shipped off somewhere else.

If Leighton gets anything more then 1 mil, even with Boosh gone, then I'll consider it over-payment.

Personally, I think Leighton is our best option for backup, unless you think Backlund can assume that role (which I think he can actually).

Old
06-30-2010, 12:54 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

if tim pannaccio uses the word "flyerdom" one more time, i swear im going to track him down myself and beat him with his computer that apparently is sans a spell checker.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:56 PM
ChrisM

Send a message via MSN to ChrisM
Why is signing Leighton as a backup bad? He says hes going to COMPETE for #1, so theres obviously going to be another tender in the mix.

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
That's not accurate.

2009 was a little hint of healthy Emery, then a little hint of injured Emery, then a little hint of Boucher, then an ass-load of Leighton, then a little bit more of Boucher. So it was really more Leighton+Boucher then Emery+Boucher.
Well.. yeah, but the question was to get chimrichalds18 to elaborate.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
if tim pannaccio uses the word "flyerdom" one more time, i swear im going to track him down myself and beat him with his computer that apparently is sans a spell checker.
Make sure you video it and put it on youtube immediately.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:04 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Why is signing Leighton as a backup bad? He says hes going to COMPETE for #1, so theres obviously going to be another tender in the mix.
Yeah, Brian Boucher, who (with Backlund) is the only NHL goalie signed right now.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:17 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Nothing personal, but your avatar is horrible. Why would you use the Rags logo template for anything Flyers?

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Flyerfan4life

43 as of today, funny u should ask...

I've followed Philly since about 1978.. Throu the worst seasons and the hi's of the 97 cup run...

My fondest memories are the Hextall years of course thou

Some people might not understand my following Leightons run in Philly, but I believe to my core he will be what we need this season

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Curious, exactly how long has your life been so far?

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:25 PM
kevinjd182

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Nothing personal, but your avatar is horrible. Why would you use the Rags logo template for anything Flyers?
Yeah, I don't mean to gang up on you but I've seen shirts with that logo on it, as well, but I don't get it...

kevinjd182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Miss Mess

noooooooo

fml

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote