HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton Re-signed 2 years/3.1M ($1.55 mill cap hit)

Old
06-30-2010, 04:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
This organization just amazes me how it looks at the goalie situation.
They will probably sign Martin and another defenseman now and think that everything will be ok.
Then we will lose to teams 3-2 while being outshot 32-11 with Leighton or Boucher in net.
Holmgren isnt going to trade Boucher. Loyalty means more to Holmgren then anything else. including things like winning.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
CptCannon

vCash: 500
******* my life.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Yeah, this is just ****ing dumb. If Leighton wanted more than 925k, I didn't want him. But ****ing regardless of that, why is there a need to sign him now? In this upcoming buyer's market, why in the hell is there a need to lock down Leighton right now? There is no answer to that. I think a lot of Holmgren haters go overboard about a lot of stuff, but this is something that really is dumb.

Not to mention, that while I never like to really judge any one player on any one play or small sample of play...Leighton and the SCF is an extraordinary circumstance. After that Kane goal, I couldn't and still can't really even think about seeing him in net for us again. When I nervously saw that shot disappear, and subsequently saw Kane celebrate, I can't even describe the feeling in the pit of my stomach. It's going to be hard for me to think of anything but that feeling when I see Leighton from now on.

Say what you will about me being too harsh, but living and dying with this team all my life....that moment is very, very difficult to get past.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PhillyCurt12

i'm going to reserve judgement on this deal until i see what else homer is up to. could be great, could be terrible.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:02 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
you know what that whole goal debate really irks me..

if you watch that goal, it wasnt soft.. it was actualy a perfectly shot by a guy who knew exactly were he was putting that puck..

Kane waited till Leights started to make the move to the other side anticapating the pass he thought was bound to happen.

vid replies from both guys confirmed it.. Kane said he knew exactly were he was gonig with that puck, and Leights said he saw motion from the left side of the net anticapating a pass..

the split second he made a move Kane fired the puck under his pads.. why do you think he imediatly started jumping for joy..

he didnt just "fire it on net".. that goal was plain and simple a beautiful shot.. but it sure does suk..
Watch the goal again. There's nobody on the left side.

Bottom line is, it may have been a nice shot, but it should have been an easy save. It's not like he sniped top corner or something. He threw the puck at Leighton's feet and Leighton somehow managed to **** that up. I don't know if you've ever played goalie. One of the first things they teach you when you're young is that on angle plays like that, you get down and put your paddle down perpendicular to the ice. That was as elementary a play/save as it gets in hockey, yet somehow Leighton managed to make it one of the biggest goals in hockey history.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Morinisbear

The fanbase seems split on this signing (slight edge against it, I think). Can a Mod throw a poll onto this thread for fans feelings? Im interested to see where everyone is at.

options: a. Happy with him as Starter b. Happy if they sign Mason/Ellis/Turco/Nabby
c. Extremely pissed at the timing and the money d. Pissed at just the money because Leighton is an AHL backup ... et.c etc.

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
I just like to piss you off
The Monarchs will miss the playoffs with Zatkoff as their starter. He sucks and is overrated by the Kings fanbase.

Old
06-30-2010, 04:04 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You are so *ing stupid Holmgren.
First words out of my mouth. And "are you ****ing kidding me?"

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

If Holmgren's planning to turn Leighton into Osgood...FAIL.
If Holmgren's planning to upgrade Boucher with Leighton...WIN.

There are only two possible options. Leighton played well enough behind this team last year to be deemed a better safety net than Boucher. Even so, he should not be our starter.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ArmchairGM

[QUOTE=Jester;26631553]That's just it, though. The UFAs can want whatever they want right now, when they get to the open market they're going to find themselves competing for a limited number of jobs. Last guy left standing is going to have to take whatever the team will give him if he wants a starting job.

I don't think they want to go into the season with anyone else but there first choice. Say they like Nabokov and Turco, but they are signed so they are forced to take their third choice in Mason. I just think they would rather control all the options. And its very well possible they don't really like any of the options, and feel they are a minimal upgrade at best. The old fashioned style of Nabokov and Turco may scare them away, specially given their age. Although then you would think they would go after Mason, as the least "old-fashioned" of the three.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:05 PM
jb**

an absolute disgrace. The stars aligned for this team and they still couldnt get it done. Well if this is the group that will start the seaosnthey are already done. Dont anyone give me this crap you just need an avg goalie to win either. If i am a plyer on this team i am sick to my stomach. another jump the gun move that didnt need to be made. What a joke how they view the goalie position.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
For all the good Leighton did while he was here last year... he consistently gave up some really crappy goals. Eventually, one of those caught up with him.
This just reminds me of all those silly debates Leighton supporters (who probably never watched him in Carolina) and anti-Leighton guys had.

Not only did Leighton give up a few bad goals in his short time with us in the regular season, but the defense literally saved him from probably twice as many soft goals. One that I can't forget is a center-ice shot, right after the game started, that Leighton let trickle in through his five-hole. Luckily Carle came back in time to stop the trickler from counting as a goal.

Yeah, I don't want to see that ever again. In fact, no team should ever want a goalie that lets softies like that go by with that kind of consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'm sure you realize that we just signed Leighton for more than Biron got coming off 2 straight 55+ game seasons with a .918 and a .915.

Just let that percolate.

It is truly mind-boggling how bad Holmgren is at UFA.
That does piss me off a bit, but Biron screwed himself there. He originally wanted like 3 to 4 mil IIRC. Plus, if you compare the regular season stats, Leighton was as good or better then Biron. Going by the stats of course.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Morinisbear

I will only be upset if:

Biron is the other starter/goalie
Boucher is the other goalie
The other starter signs over 3.5m

a couple other that I will keep to myself...

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:07 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

For the record,

I'm not against signing Leighton.

I am against signing Leighton less than 24 hours before the start of free agency.

But I think Leights can develop into a decent goalie if he gets his rebound control down(which he now has 3 months to do). He's always had good vision, is a fairly big goalie, and can move very well for his size. And like I said, having teammates that like you in net, and are willing to dive in front of shots for you is a lot, in comparison to getting some other goalie and taking the risk of him being an asshat and teammates not wanting to help him.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:07 PM
thomaszwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

There are only two possible options. Leighton played well enough behind this team last year to be deemed a better safety net than Boucher. Even so, he should not be our starter.
Well said.

Nothing to do but wait until tomorrow, guys.

Might as well start drinking.

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:08 PM
clodejirew

im sure homer will add another goalie in free agency. he probably wants 3 so they are not desprete if injuries occur.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jb**

Cant wait to see what dman they overpay on tomorrow. Rather overpay ona goalie for 2 years than whoever they sign tomorrow for 5 or 6 years.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vanRiemsdyk - Richards - Giroux
Gagne - Carter - Maroon/Testwuide/Nodl
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
Powe - Betts - Laperriere
Carcillo/Kalinski

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Bartulis - Lehtivuori/FA

Turco/Nabokov/Ellis/Mason/Biron
Leighton/Boucher

vs.

Carcillo/Kalinski

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Hamhuis/Martin/Volchenkov
Coburn - Bartulis

Leighton
Boucher

Unless we get Biron for the same contract as Leighton. Then:

Carcillo/Kalinski

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Hamhuis/Martin/Volchenkov
Coburn - Bartulis

Biron
Leighton/Boucher

That's basically what it comes down to.

Old
06-30-2010, 04:09 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
That does piss me off a bit, but Biron screwed himself there. He originally wanted like 3 to 4 mil IIRC. Plus, if you compare the regular season stats, Leighton was as good or better then Biron. Going by the stats of course.
Not even close to being comparable considering the Pronger and Laviolette factors plus Leighton only played around 30 regular season games with us as opposed to Biron who had 113.

It's just so shocking. I mean, I know 1.5 doesn't sound like a ton, but this is a guy who has been an AHLer his entire career, had 30 good games, and now we're giving him very good backup money, Ty Conklin got less.

It's just so, so bad.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ArmchairGM

Biron wanted Huet money. And Biron let in twice as many soft goals as Leighton did during the regular season. Biron consistently gave up at least one sub-par goal each game, something Leighton didn't do until the Finals.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Watch the goal again. There's nobody on the left side.

Bottom line is, it may have been a nice shot, but it should have been an easy save. It's not like he sniped top corner or something. He threw the puck at Leighton's feet and Leighton somehow managed to **** that up. I don't know if you've ever played goalie. One of the first things they teach you when you're young is that on angle plays like that, you get down and put your paddle down perpendicular to the ice. That was as elementary a play/save as it gets in hockey, yet somehow Leighton managed to make it one of the biggest goals in hockey history.
What I don't understand is how people can say it was just a bad luck moment. Leighton's fundamentals the whole series were poor..hence the result and his pedestrian stats. He was poor with his five hole, hugging the post, and he was playing so far back in the net he was literally sitting in the first row back there. I lost at least a year of my life everytime a shot was made against him. Anybody who has played hockey knows he played poor that whole series and my god even Holmgren although trying to sugarcoat the situation said Leighton didn't really give the team a chance to win so he signs him and he may have to be our starter going forward especially if he has nothing else up his sleeve or his plan Z doesn't pan out....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:10 PM
RoDu

If we can't sign a goalie, our only hope is either Backlund or Bobrovsky step up their games big time

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
i'm going to reserve judgement on this deal until i see what else homer is up to. could be great, could be terrible.
no, there is no question about it. its terrible because of the timing. i mean he couldnt wait one more ****ing day to see how the market would play out? of course this is going to blow up in Holmgren's face because He will go into the season with Leighton and Boucher as the goalies. Snider still wont do anything. Oh wait he will do something, he will fire Laviolette if the goalie tandem blows up of Leighton and Boucher.

Old
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

This is a good summation. All the over-the-top "we're screwed" talk is premature until we see where the UFA goalies shake out. The difference between a $1M contract and a $1.5M contract may be bad negotiating, but it isn't going to kill the Flyers cap or anything.

The contract isn't the issue here - the feeling that we might be headed toward a tandem of 2 1B options or (even worse) Leighton/Bouch is the issue.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Question:

Do you now go after Biron dirt cheap and tell him he can start just so you can get one of Hamhuis, Martin, or Volchenkov?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
This is a good summation. All the over-the-top "we're screwed" talk is premature until we see where the UFA goalies shake out. The difference between a $1M contract and a $1.5M contract may be bad negotiating, but it isn't going to kill the Flyers cap or anything.

The contract isn't the issue here - the feeling that we might be headed toward a tandem of 2 1B options or (even worse) Leighton/Bouch is the issue.
I expected (if the player signed in Philadelphia):

Leighton - 1.50m/year
Biron - 1.75m/year
Ellis - 2.50m/year
Mason - 2.75m/year
Turco - 3.00m/year
Nabokov - 5.00m/year

Hamhuis - 4.00m/year
Martin - 4.50m/year
Volchenkov 5.00m/year