HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton Re-signed 2 years/3.1M ($1.55 mill cap hit)

Old
06-30-2010, 03:11 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Okay, I've calmed down a little bit. It's still a higher cap hit than I would like, but as long as it's for the backup job and not Homer's solution, I did want him back rather than Boosh, so fine. Also, it frees up the front office from wasting their time tomorrow talking to Leighton.

I don't like the fact that we're seeing tweets like, "They'll probably still look for a goalie tomorrow, but the defense is the new priority." NO. Goalie is still priority #1. Last I checked our defense is one of the best top 4 but we have no legit starting goalie. Solve that first, then go look for a #5. Getting Hamhuis/Volchenkov/etc. is a nice daydream, but it would be excessive and prevent us from solving the real problem.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:12 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
an absolute disgrace. The stars aligned for this team and they still couldnt get it done. Well if this is the group that will start the seaosnthey are already done. Dont anyone give me this crap you just need an avg goalie to win either. If i am a plyer on this team i am sick to my stomach. another jump the gun move that didnt need to be made. What a joke how they view the goalie position.
If this stays as is and we don't do anything else, this is where I'm at. A team with talent coming off a SCF appearance and we're going into the following season with AHL talent competing for the starting goaltending job.

An absolute ****ing joke and embarrassment if it stays this way.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:12 PM
ugiswrong

Say Nabokov goes to the KHL, Turco goes to the Capitals, Ellis signs in MTL, and Mason goes to TB. What then? You do the same deal for Leighton tomorrow, possibly in a bidding war with another team.

Or you're looking at guys like Niitymaki, Biron, and Theodore. Yes Leighton Mitch Williams'd us. Yes I KNOW. But those others are almost just as poor choices at this point.

It sucks, but what can you do? There's not that much out there in terms of good goaltending which fits with the Flyers' plans.

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:13 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
If Holmgren's planning to turn Leighton into Osgood...FAIL.
If Holmgren's planning to upgrade Boucher with Leighton...WIN.

There are only two possible options. Leighton played well enough behind this team last year to be deemed a better safety net than Boucher. Even so, he should not be our starter.
You already have 1 overpaid backup in boucher.
Now you have 2. Leighton should not have recieevd anything more than what Boucher was making. Surprised it doesnt include a NMC.
Please make soem more stupid signings tomorrow.

absolutely no need at all to sign him now.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Are you ****ing kidding me? Are you really that ****ing impatient that you can't even wait until ****ing Free Agency?

That's it, I'm officially done with this ****tard. Before I gave him the benefit of the doubt, before I said, "Hey, look, he's finally realizing what he did wrong and he's working to change it!" And then he goes and ****ing resigns Michael ****ing Leighton. And we think we're just going to trade Boosh away? Have we seen how ****ing loyal to a fault this organization is?

**** this.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:14 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Holy **** I am pissed !!! We give 1.5 mill to a guy 9 hours before free agency starts when there are minimum 5 guys better than him available. If in 5 days our 2 goalies are Leighton/Boosh, Holmer needs to be fired on the spot. DISGUSTED

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:15 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
you know what that whole goal debate really irks me..

if you watch that goal, it wasnt soft.. it was actualy a perfectly shot by a guy who knew exactly were he was putting that puck..

Kane waited till Leights started to make the move to the other side anticapating the pass he thought was bound to happen.

vid replies from both guys confirmed it.. Kane said he knew exactly were he was gonig with that puck, and Leights said he saw motion from the left side of the net anticapating a pass..

the split second he made a move Kane fired the puck under his pads.. why do you think he imediatly started jumping for joy..

he didnt just "fire it on net".. that goal was plain and simple a beautiful shot.. but it sure does suk..
Are you effing kidding me? I don't like to gang up on newcomers, but you're lost. Kane fired that puck at Leighton's pads, and all Leighton had to ****ing do was just ****ing stand there on his post the way he was, stick on the ice. Instead, for some totally mindboggling ****ing reason that will NEVER be understood...Leighton decides to ****ing reach down for the puck with his blocker. His movement of reaching down is what really bent his pads and created the opening. I mean, what he decided to do there was truly one of the most inexplicable moments I've ever seen in hockey. Even if he had come up with that save....WHAT THE **** WAS HE REACHING DOWN AT THE PUCK FOR????

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:16 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
You already have 1 overpaid backup in boucher.
0.93m/year is not overpaid for a backup.

Quote:
Now you have 2. Leighton should not have recieevd anything more than what Boucher was making. Surprised it doesnt include a NMC.
1.55m/year is not overpaid for a backup.

Where are you getting this stuff from?

Quote:
Please make soem more stupid signings tomorrow.

absolutely no need at all to sign him now.
I don't think this was necessarily stupid until the aftermath has revealed itself. However, I do agree that this didn't necessarily have to be done. I would've been fine with Boucher as our back-up. I don't want Leighton as a starter, but if Holmgren was doing this under the impression of a "WORST CASE SCENARIO" playing out in free-agent, I'm okay with it.

Tweets say Holmgren is still looking for a goalie by the way.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Holy **** I am pissed !!! We give 1.5 mill to a guy 9 hours before free agency starts when there are minimum 5 guys better than him available. If in 5 days our 2 goalies are Leighton/Boosh, Holmer needs to be fired on the spot. DISGUSTED
well 20 hours till free agency, but yeah

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
This last week has been pretty rough. I went from thinking we would have added Hamhuis and either Turco or Nabby and now we don't have Hamhuis and we signed Leighton and to make it worse we might not have Coburn!

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thomaszwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugiswrong View Post
Say Nabokov goes to the KHL, Turco goes to the Capitals, Ellis signs in MTL, and Mason goes to TB. What then? You do the same deal for Leighton tomorrow, possibly in a bidding war with another team.

Or you're looking at guys like Niitymaki, Biron, and Theodore. Yes Leighton Mitch Williams'd us. Yes I KNOW. But those others are almost just as poor choices at this point.

It sucks, but what can you do? There's not that much out there in terms of good goaltending which fits with the Flyers' plans.
This is absolutely true.

If the Flyers somehow obtain a decent defenseman out of free agency tomorrow (i.e. - Gonchar, Martin, Hamhuis), does this help soften the blow for anyone?

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:17 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Question:

Do you now go after Biron dirt cheap and tell him he can start just so you can get one of Hamhuis, Martin, or Volchenkov?

I expected (if the player signed in Philadelphia):

Leighton - 1.50m/year
Biron - 1.75m/year
Ellis - 2.50m/year
Mason - 2.75m/year
Turco - 3.00m/year
Nabokov - 5.00m/year

Hamhuis - 4.00m/year
Martin - 4.50m/year
Volchenkov 5.00m/year
You go after Biron cheap because he is a known commodity, has played with the guys, and has no injury history.

We cannot afford those defensemen for more than one year. You know that Chris. Going after those guys for any serviceable length of time only screws our cap situation in future years. Unless we get offer sheets of some other glorious things.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:17 PM
FlyersCup08

I like this signing, if, as others have said, we can still get a starter. Leights will be a good backup, though it's a little much money, maybe we didn't want to risk someone throwing big bucks at him.

With our INEVITABLE injuries at the goaltender position, I'd love to keep Boucher on the roster, but have him scratched. Then, when our starter gets hurt, Leights comes in and Bouch dresses.

This is all contingent on signing a starter (and please not Turco).

Anyone know what Vancouver's asking price for Schneider is? He's gotta want out, right?

I say ship Carter and Gagne (even though I'm a huge Gagne fan) for Schneider and Kesler.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:19 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
well 20 hours till free agency, but yeah
Is it not midnight tonight ? Whatever, I am ****ing livid and not thinking right. I drive for 7 hours to Flin Flon tommorrow and all I will be thinking is if we got another goalie. **** I am ****ing mad

Old
lancer247

Trade for a young Goalie

the only way paying leighton $1.55MM make sense is if they are getting a young goalie (Harding/Schnieder/Quick) with a cheap contract.

It's very possible and even likely to get Turco/Mason for $3.5MM or less.

Even with that signing Leighton to $1.55MM is dumb. So, there has got to be a trade for a young goalie coming.

Schneider + Bieksa for Coburn then sign Hamhuis. Just thinking out loud.

I can't see any of the veteran goalies coming here with the idea they have to compete for a job. Maybe, Ellis would go for something like that but not established starting veterans.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Not even close to being comparable considering the Pronger and Laviolette factors plus Leighton only played around 30 regular season games with us as opposed to Biron who had 113.

It's just so shocking. I mean, I know 1.5 doesn't sound like a ton, but this is a guy who has been an AHLer his entire career, had 30 good games, and now we're giving him very good backup money, Ty Conklin got less.

It's just so, so bad.
I know. I'm just saying that you threw stats out there to prove that this was a bad signing compared to what Biron signed for, but really if you're comparing this signing to what Biron signed with the Islanders for, this is a better deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
Biron wanted Huet money. And Biron let in twice as many soft goals as Leighton did during the regular season. Biron consistently gave up at least one sub-par goal each game, something Leighton didn't do until the Finals.
Biron wanted a little less then Huet money. Around 3.5 to 4.5. Huet currently has a cap hit of 5.625...that's a big difference.

Biron played like three to four times the amount of regular season games that Leighton did so it would make sense that Biron let in more soft goals then Leighton has. Leighton also got to play behind our best defense in years (the best defense in the league arguably) while Biron...didn't, to say the least.

To say Biron consistently let in one sub-par goal per game is hyperbole. If that were true then his stats wouldn't be as good as they were.

Only reason Leighton didn't let in many soft goals in the regular season (and, yes, he did let in some borderline softies) is because the defense bailed his ass out almost every game.

That goal Leighton let in during the finals was probably worse then any goal Biron has ever let in during his entire career as well.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
my guess: with leighton re-signed, our situation looks less desperate. perhaps homer will try to use it to talk down a real starter's price, so he had more money to go after defense.

likely reality: none of that is the case. because its michael ****ing leighton, and everyone know he isnt a starter, and that this doesnt help our situation at all.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
healthyscratch

For the love of christ, can we please stop using the word "Leights"?????? It's really ****ing gay and it's pissing me off even more.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
I like this signing, if, as others have said, we can still get a starter. Leights will be a good backup, though it's a little much money, maybe we didn't want to risk someone throwing big bucks at him.
Who in their right mind would throw big bucks (or mediocre bucks, for that matter) at Leighton??

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszwei View Post
This is absolutely true.

If the Flyers somehow obtain a decent defenseman out of free agency tomorrow (i.e. - Gonchar, Martin, Hamhuis), does this help soften the blow for anyone?
no. we dont need to add another #2 defenseman to play on the bottom pairing. Adding a veteran #5 guy to play with Bartulis, and a legit starting goalie should of been the plan.
if we sign any of those defenseman it will be a clear sign that Holmgren is going with Leighton and Boucher as the goalies. If he signs Turco or Nabokov tomorrow and trades Boucher for a low pick(or whatever) I can deal with it.

Old
Snotbubbles

I like this move, but Homer better be careful. If he locks into Leighton at 1.5M and then still goes and gets another goalie at 3M, he's setting himself up for some headaches next offseason when Carter, Gagne, Giroux and Leino are due contracts.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Talbetts

Quote:
Question:

Do you now go after Biron dirt cheap and tell him he can start just so you can get one of Hamhuis, Martin, or Volchenkov?

I expected (if the player signed in Philadelphia):

Leighton - 1.50m/year
Biron - 1.75m/year
Ellis - 2.50m/year
Mason - 2.75m/year
Turco - 3.00m/year
Nabokov - 5.00m/year

Hamhuis - 4.00m/year
Martin - 4.50m/year
Volchenkov 5.00m/year
We can make some trades too, if need be. I want to see Mason and Vochenkov in. I would be perfectly fine with Hartnell out. Also, I do not want Coburn if he is trying to get over 3m....there are other options.

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:22 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszwei View Post
This is absolutely true.

Nope, defense isn't our problem !

Old
06-30-2010, 03:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Is it not midnight tonight ? Whatever, I am ****ing livid and not thinking right. I drive for 7 hours to Flin Flon tommorrow and all I will be thinking is if we got another goalie. **** I am ****ing mad
No Free agency starts at noon tomorrow. It used to be midnight but they changed it to noon awhile back(forgot when)

Old
06-30-2010, 03:23 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
I'm thinking they package Boosh with... DRUMROLL... a second rounder to move him.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote