HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Mckenzie says Ellis goes to UFA

Old
06-30-2010, 03:51 PM
KingGallagherXI

vCash: 500
If we sign him he must be the clear #2 regardless of whether he plays better than Price. Enough with the ********, let's just go all-in. I don't think Price will choke though.

KingGallagherXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJCloutier View Post
BTW, Flyers got their goalie so that's one less possibility for him.

Will the Shark trust him as a number one to get them to the cup ? Don't think so. They'll go with veteran goaltender.
According to McKenzie Leighton and Boucher will battle for the #2 job, so they will still shop for a #1.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:54 PM
m00ks

I'm just quite surprised at how vocal he is about the "possibility" of signing here. Twitter updates, live interviews, availability for comments...all in a span of 24 hours. Seriously, you'd think he already signed here.

It'd be quite funny if he signs somewhere else after all this hoopla. Seems quite unnecessary and useless unless his excitement is truly genuine and would consider taking less money to play here.

Of course, he HAS to test the market. He'd be stupid not too. Awesome opportunity to hit the jack pot and cash out. If the offers aren't staggering, I think the chances of him signing here are fairly decent.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Gary320

Is 2 million a year (for two years) is what he wants.. awesome.

In the end.. we save 1/2 million dollars had we signed Halak + another back up.

You'd be fools to think the back up to Halak will not make 1.50 at the most. So good deal if it happens.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Bieber fever

yessssssss.

now we can trade Price for young top 6 player !

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:57 PM
alexstream

Real_ESPNLeBrun Just got off the phone with Dan Ellis. Says it was misunderstanding. Reporter asked him about that figure and he said it's something he ... 17 minutes ago via web
Real_ESPNLeBrun .... would consider. He never put out that figure. He's laughing it off as his first experience with Montreal media!
16 minutes ago via web

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:00 PM
RNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
If we sign a back up for 2M, one of the main reason for letting Halak go in the first place just went poof - saving a lot of cap space to actually improve the team.
I think most people will begin to see that with the incredible amount of talented young goalies bursting into hockey leagues all over the planet, that paying anything more then 2 mil for any goalie just isn't wise in a cap world, unless you happen to have one of the top 2 or 3 guys. (Even then, I'm skeptical. Would you rather have a 7 mil forward like Kovalchuk and a goalie like Ellis, or Luongo and a 2 mil forward like Moore?) Career-wise, looking at Ellis's and Halak's numbers, they're really not all that different.

Having a guy like Ellis at 2 mil over a guy like Halak at 4 mil not only saves us 2 mil, but gets us a young prospect like Eller, who at his salary is also incredibly valuable in a cap world. Its just good asset management.

That said, I'm going to miss Halak. In a perfect world we'd have no cap, there'd be no RFA and UFA, guys would play where they were drafted, get paid based on their performance, and play with their team for life unless they get traded. Its hard as a fan to follow these players and then have to understand the business side of the sport. Not how it used to be...

Last edited by RNiner: 06-30-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Even if its not Ellis at 2 mil, other guys who fit the 1.5-2 mil range really aren't all that different from Halak either.
RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:03 PM
BLONG7

Price and Ellis, could cost us less than Halak alone...

Last edited by BLONG7: 06-30-2010 at 04:08 PM.
BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Are you serious? Halak is asking for at least $4-5m per year. If we sign Ellis to $2m, we essentially have both goaltenders under what Halak was making.
4M-2M = 2M. Hard concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
I don't know... I wonder if Biron has 30-40 solid games in him. You never know. Price might just get hurt for all we know.

The additionnal bucks would be valuable cap space to get beter players, too. That being said, having two capable goalies is something pretty damn tempting. That being said, I would take Biron, Boyd and Torres before Ellis, Boyd and nothing else.
Biron can play 30 games easily. And he was a good back up to Miller.

Two capable goalies is another controversy waiting to happen in Montreal. Can't wait for the day when we don't have to worry about goaltending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
He would most likely play 35-40 games this year. I don't see Price coming in and carrying the load for 60+ games. Plus, I would rather we sign a guy like Ellis to take some heat off Price. No need to rush him anymore. Something like 40 games this year, 45-50 next year, then 60 the year after would be ideal. This is all dependent on whether or not he actually earns the right to play 40 games a year.
If Price isn't going to be able to play 60 games, why the hell did we trade Halak.

We have to assume management thought Price could handle 60-70 games.

Otherwise, that means we're thinking about rebuilding. Which makes no sense considering the general direction the team is headed in.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:05 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Price and Ellis, cold will cost us less than Halak alone...
reason : Halak's agent is Alan bandit Walsh.

Old
06-30-2010, 04:08 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
reason : Halak's agent is Alan bandit Walsh.
so true...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:13 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
so true...
might actually add that to "reasons why Halak got traded"... I mean, Halak's status was a big distraction and his agent did nothing to improve the situation, quite to the contrary, he kinda poisoned the situation (to a way lesser extent than Sergei though).
you don't really want a longterm relationship with a player who has such an agent IMO.

Old
06-30-2010, 04:16 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
$2 million a year would be real nice. Do it PG!

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
$2 million a year would be real nice. Do it PG!
Once the dust settles they can get a solid goalie for half that much. There are 10-12 "solid" or better NHL goalies as UFA's and only 7-8 teams looking to add...

San Jose
Phillie
TB
Montreal
Atlanta

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:23 PM
scottyG

I've said it before he is not our solution

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Andy

guys just read lebrun's twitter. No offer was made(that is a dollar amount). The number was just suggested by a reporter but was never discussed by Ellis and management.

read thus

http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Miller Time

If he were to accept 2yr/4M$ deal, and the role as the 2nd goalie, i think we'd have to go with that.

Ellis is better than all the other "back-up" options out there, and given Price's age and inconsistency, it would make sense to have a back-up very capable of filling in as the #1 should Price struggle significantly.

2M$ is a lot to pay a back-up, but with Price not likely to make more than 3M$, 4-5M$ to have quality and depth at the goalie position is worth it... still far less than many teams who won't likely get as much bang for their buck as we will.

I'd still be surprised to see him accept 2M or less, but if he's willing, then it should get done.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:26 PM
RNiner

What is so bad about a goalie controversy?

If its because both guys suck and the controversy is that neither is any good, well ok.
But if the controversy is having two solid guys who keep pushing each other to be better... thats bad how??
Why is having 1 guy clearly be the #1 better then having 2 guys who are both good? Someone educate me.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Loner

I love how BG and PG transformed the team in the last year, they're really targeting hardworking players that love the organization and are proud to play for the Habs.

Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:31 PM
AreYouHockey

I am looking forward to see how we can work this out.

I feel like this is Price's year. 55 solid games ++

I would love Ellis at 2/2

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:41 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
guys just read lebrun's twitter. No offer was made(that is a dollar amount). The number was just suggested by a reporter but was never discussed by Ellis and management.

read thus

http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun
This is what JF Chaumont asked Dan along with his answer:

Quote:
JFChaumont

@Real_ESPNLeBrun ... I asked Dan this simple question. You were earning 2 millions last season and you are now looking for a 2 years deals. If the Habs offered you 4 M, what will be your answer. « Around 4, we are gonna be real close»

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Slippin Jimmy
You'd Better RUN!

Wow, great! If we can sign Ellis I would be a happy person!

Slippin Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:51 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Once the dust settles they can get a solid goalie for half that much. There are 10-12 "solid" or better NHL goalies as UFA's and only 7-8 teams looking to add...

San Jose
Phillie
TB
Montreal
Atlanta
Who is better than Dan Ellis that is reasonable?

Nabokov, Turco and Mason will want too much.

Theodore, Toskala, Lalime, Budaj are garbage.

Biron isn't that good, neither is Hedberg. At least not good enough to warrant ~30 gp.

The only other good/cheaper option is Niitymaki. But the fact he is Finnish makes me want to say no.

Ellis doesn't mind the role he would get in Montreal and he speaks English, meaning he can guide Price along unlike Huet and Halak. He is a good enough player to warrant a large chunk of games and even hold the reigns if something happens to Price.

He is the goalie that makes the most sense IMO.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Biron's an ideal mentor.

He isnt elite, but he's far from being bad.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:54 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

signing Ellis makes a lot of sense for our club and for himself IMO.

2 million is reasonable. Realistically, I see Price making 1.75-1.85 and these are numbers that I'd like to see for Ellis as well.

Ellis plays at least 30-35 games here and maybe even takes over the starting job.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote