HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bob Mckenzie says Ellis goes to UFA

Old
06-30-2010, 04:56 PM
JackZap

vCash: 500
McGuire saying hes going to UFA

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:00 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
McGuire saying hes going to UFA
Something you would expect.. of course he's going to see what else is out there. It would be irresponsible not to.

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:01 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Biron's an ideal mentor.

He isnt elite, but he's far from being bad.
But for a team trying to make the playoffs, playing Biron 30-35 games is not the best option.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:05 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
But for a team trying to make the playoffs, playing Biron 30-35 games is not the best option.
100% correct, plus Ellis isn't francophone.

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Habshabs12

Does that mean he wants a TOTAL of 4 mill....or 4 mill per season?....cuz the second option sounds pretty extreme

Habshabs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Better than having another contreversy.

We need Price to step up and establish himself. You gotta bring a veteran and cheap backup.

A 32 years old Martin Biron with 12 seasons (462 gp) under his belt at 1,5M$ is better than a 30 years old Dan Ellis with 4 seasons (111 gp) at 2M$ (or a bit more).

But that's my opinion.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
4M-2M = 2M. Hard concept.

Biron can play 30 games easily. And he was a good back up to Miller.

Two capable goalies is another controversy waiting to happen in Montreal. Can't wait for the day when we don't have to worry about goaltending.

If Price isn't going to be able to play 60 games, why the hell did we trade Halak.

We have to assume management thought Price could handle 60-70 games.

Otherwise, that means we're thinking about rebuilding. Which makes no sense considering the general direction the team is headed in.
The Habs couldn't hold on to both Halak and Price. If Halak remained, I seriously doubt he could handle a 60-game workload (we
ll see what he does with the Blues). I think Price could.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

It's all fun and dandy to have a mentor, a big bro and so on....But Price will not end up playing 75 games. At best 50-55. If so, how about the remaining ones? Aren't they just as important to make the playoffs? If so, Biron, Lalime or Ellis? Honestly, and I am all for this team being filled with Q players.....but it's Ellis and without an hesitation.

And then ask yourself that question....what if it doesn't work out with Price with the pressure and the crazy fans and media we have. Price if he struggles could become really easily Enemy #1 as stupid as it sounds. Who then would you want to take over? Unless the idea is that if we indeed have to move Price, another good goalie will evidently be included. But then if things are indeed going very wrong....what will be his value and so on.....

I don't see a better goalie right now at that kind of value if he indeed aims for something around 2M$

Oh and by the way, there's no controversy. You name Price your #1. You name Ellis the #2....a #2 who will end up playing more games than being Brodeur's backup.

No controversy, everybody is happy. Yet, Price will need to deliver.

By the way, I'd like to have other names than Biron out there. 'Cause chances are his #1 choice is Buffalo. Did we hear Biron talk about the Habs as much as we heard Lalime? Pretty sure we didn't. We heard that there's a rumor that says Biron is interested. We directly heard it from Lalime. Of course, Biron has to be interested in case Buffalo isn't interested. There has to be a reason.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Biron's an ideal mentor.

He isnt elite, but he's far from being bad.
Sadly, a problem with Biron is that a lot of people in the media would be pushing for him to be the #1 for reasons we all know.

Not that I wouldn't like Biron, but I've always preferred Ellis.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:11 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
His save % was .915 and .918 in the two seasons before he was in NYI where lots of goalies would look brutal, he'd still be a solid backup who can play 30 games and would be my #2 choice behind Ellis.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Darth Joker

Ellis is just about ideal for the "backup" goalie position that we need to fill.

We need a backup goalie that can play close to 30 games, because Price might not be ready to play over 60 games.

Those 30 games are important, so ideally our backup is a goalie that can play 30 games and play them well. While at the same time being happy in that role.

Ellis sounds ideal here. At $2 million a year for 2 years, Gauthier definitely should sign him, imo. It gives Price a little bit of breathing room.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It's all fun and dandy to have a mentor, a big bro and so on....But Price will not end up playing 75 games. At best 50-55. If so, how about the remaining ones? Aren't they just as important to make the playoffs? If so, Biron, Lalime or Ellis? Honestly, and I am all for this team being filled with Q players.....but it's Ellis and without an hesitation.
how is it without an hesitation?

Biron is a career .910 while Ellis' at .912. And you also save at least 500 000$.

Old
06-30-2010, 05:21 PM
GoodKiwi

Let's hope someone overpays Ellis and he does not sign with MTL. Add me as another person who thinks we would benefit more from a cheaper veteran backup ala Biron. Then again, if we were overpay a career backup, I'd rather have Ellis in his place for similar amount.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:22 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

emery. just for fun.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:28 PM
m00ks

Quote:
how is it without an hesitation?

Biron is a career .910 while Ellis' at .912. And you also save at least 500 000$.
No offense to anyone, but the last thing I want is to bring in a french canadian backup if I want Price to find any kind of refuge from distractions. That's just asking for trouble since the french media and fans alike would have an uproar as soon as Carey goes in a bad streak. Already he's in the frying pan after the Halak trade.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

This has nothing to do with his nationality... Biron happens to be the best veteran backup available at a cheap price (Lalime and Hedberg are close ones, but Biron definitely is better).

Old
06-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Astroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Dan Ellis: "My biggest thing right now is to play on a team that wins...You don't always need to be THE guy,"
He is in the "Price is a bust" camp, and is expecting to be the #1 after his collapse. 1.5-2M a year for this guy seems fair. Hopefully it's not over more than a 2 year term. More than 2 years would be a mistake IMO!

Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:47 PM
m00ks

Quote:
This has nothing to do with his nationality... Biron happens to be the best veteran backup available at a cheap price (Lalime and Hedberg are close ones, but Biron definitely is better).
You don't think nationality would be an issue?

Old
06-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
You don't think nationality would be an issue?
why would it be an issue?! Maybe it'd be one for the medias, but not for the team.

Actually, it might just be a good thing for the medias, they'd get their candy.

Old
06-30-2010, 05:50 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

And then ask yourself that question....what if it doesn't work out with Price with the pressure and the crazy fans and media we have. Price if he struggles could become really easily Enemy #1 as stupid as it sounds. Who then would you want to take over? Unless the idea is that if we indeed have to move Price, another good goalie will evidently be included. But then if things are indeed going very wrong....what will be his value and so on.....

I don't see a better goalie right now at that kind of value if he indeed aims for something around 2M$

Oh and by the way, there's no controversy. You name Price your #1. You name Ellis the #2....a #2 who will end up playing more games than being Brodeur's backup.

No controversy, everybody is happy. Yet, Price will need to deliver.

By the way, I'd like to have other names than Biron out there. 'Cause chances are his #1 choice is Buffalo. Did we hear Biron talk about the Habs as much as we heard Lalime? Pretty sure we didn't. We heard that there's a rumor that says Biron is interested. We directly heard it from Lalime. Of course, Biron has to be interested in case Buffalo isn't interested. There has to be a reason.
You want Lalime to play 25 games? He was a collective 9 and 21 with the Sabres

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:55 PM
m00ks

Quote:
why would it be an issue?! Maybe it'd be one for the medias, but not for the team.

Actually, it might just be a good thing for the medias, they'd get their candy.
Obviously not for the team.

The media would have a field day. Goalie controversy fused with the nationalistic issue we always enjoy. I'd be very weary.

Old
06-30-2010, 06:00 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Pierre, here is the dotted line, could you please sign:

------------------------------------

Thank you.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:09 PM
ourson

Send a message via Yahoo to ourson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Sadly, a problem with Biron is that a lot of people in the media would be pushing for him to be the #1 for reasons we all know.

Not that I wouldn't like Biron, but I've always preferred Ellis.
best analyze about goalies situation in Montreal ever

ourson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:16 PM
chpartisan

I have a feeling Ellis is hoping to sign with the Flyers. The trade to Montreal was a blessing for him. He's got a huge marketing campaign going for him (for free!) and he is taking advantage of it (who wouldn't?).

I think the Flyers have the cap space to sign him.

chpartisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:27 PM
beerbelly

good news!

Happy and surprised to see that he is interested to sign here. I also think that he will wait to see what the other teams have to offer. But it seems that we are considered a winning team by the UFA and it is good.

I have a fews questions for you guys:
Now we don't even have a signed goaler...
Price is RFA... if a team make him a big offer like 3-4M$ or else, we would have to equalize the offer? And what if we don't? We get some picks?
If Ellis want to be paid 2M$/year and be a #2, how much Price will want to have?

THANK YOU

Last edited by beerbelly: 06-30-2010 at 06:33 PM.
beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote