HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How much $/Term for Price

Old
06-29-2010, 10:13 PM
eightyseven

vCash: 500
Quote:
The 2005-06 WHL season started soon after the Habs' camp and Price faced struggles as his team under-performed.

"It's adversity that makes you a good player and professional players do something about it and the rest give up.," Price said.
This is an interesting quote from Price. I really pray Carey Price gets serious help with his mental issues/off-ice issues this summer. I pray he can prove all his haters wrong and put on a Vezina-winning performance next season because he's capable of it. I would love him to see him reach his potential. He's got so much talent and I wish he'd make full use of it. He has to start seriously focusing on his career, unless hockey really isn't his passion at all.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Oleg Petrov

2 Thoughts on this:

1)The acquisition of Dan Ellis improves the Habs negotiation with Price. If they get him under contract or close to contract Price will be forced into signing, and don't tell me he'll get offer sheeted. Every team knows the Habs will match.

2) I think the most mutually beneficial deal is a 1year in the 1.5 million range. If Price plays well he'll get a massive pay increase that the Habs would be happy to give. Price's agent has to bet on his client here, signing a long term deal now will leave cash on the table in the long run. Especially since the Habs have more or less committed to him as the #1.

Oleg Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:38 AM
PEEJOE416

2 years

2 million per + bonuses that could fetch him about 3 a year same with ellis but about 500.00 less per year with bonuses that could fetch him about 2.750 million per year

PEEJOE416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:43 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEEJOE416 View Post
2 million per + bonuses that could fetch him about 3 a year same with ellis but about 500.00 less per year with bonuses that could fetch him about 2.750 million per year
No bonuses are allowed unless it's ELC or 35+ one year deal.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:15 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Carey 2yrs ~ 2.5 mil
Dan Ellis 3yrs~2.3mil

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
AreYouHockey

Price 3 years - 8.7 millions (2.9 / year)

Biron 2 years - 2.80 million (1.4 / year)

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:39 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
I'm a big Carey Price fan but I'm wavering. There's something wrong with his psyche, I don't see the battle level like I did with Halak and I respected the fact that Halak would work very hard so he could get his playing time. Price seems to have zero drive to win right now...I'm just not sure he's that serious/passionate about his hockey career. Like he's only it in to make a living because he's good at it but doesn't want to make full use of his talent, which is a total shame. I really hope that's not the case.

Plus, the kid is so mentally screwed up. He has zero confidence in himself right now and playing in Montreal won't help matters.

I guess we'll find out what he's made of next season. He can be prove all his haters wrong next season (if he works really hard this summer) or he can crumble again.

Carey Price seemed surprised by the Halak trade and I think he secretly wanted a trade out of Montreal.
Where are all these haters you speak of? Carey Price was still the goalie most voted to keep despite the fact he had been outplayed by Jaro Halak. If anything, I think there seems to be some Halak haters amongst us.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:47 PM
TankEller*

I cringe whenever I see people projecting Price as a 3M$ goalie.

He just can't be paid any higher than Ellis. Impossible. Not only is Ellis a UFA and his career stats as good as Price's while never having the chance to play for a Conference Champion, Price doesn't even have arbitration rights. This is stupid to actually believe Price can ask as much as Dan Ellis, considering his weak bargaining powers.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:05 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post

He just can't be paid any higher than Ellis. Impossible. Not only is Ellis a UFA and his career stats as good as Price's while never having the chance to play for a Conference Champion, Price doesn't even have arbitration rights. This is stupid to actually believe Price can ask as much as Dan Ellis, considering his weak bargaining powers.
I absolutely agree, unless management wants to add a year or two and increase the price slightly in order to do so.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post

I can see paying Price 3 mil if it's on a 3-4 year deal. If you think he is your #1 going forward why not sign a 3-4 year deal so you have an underpaid player in 2-3 years in terms of cap hit. If you sign him for 1 year and he has a big year then you are forced into the territory Halak is in now which is 3.7-4 mil even for 2-3-4 years.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
This is an interesting quote from Price. I really pray Carey Price gets serious help with his mental issues/off-ice issues this summer. I pray he can prove all his haters wrong and put on a Vezina-winning performance next season because he's capable of it. I would love him to see him reach his potential. He's got so much talent and I wish he'd make full use of it. He has to start seriously focusing on his career, unless hockey really isn't his passion at all.
Price has mental issues? huh? Where did you come up with that one?

I think Price has matured a lot this past season, it was forced on him with Halak having a great year. Not sure where you think he has mental problems.

Old
06-30-2010, 02:55 PM
llamateizer

If price isnt signed until tomorrow, does that means other teams can offer sheet?

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:56 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
Price has mental issues? huh? Where did you come up with that one?

I think Price has matured a lot this past season, it was forced on him with Halak having a great year. Not sure where you think he has mental problems
Carey Price got rushed into the NHL and now he's so screwed up. He's really emotional with zero confidence in himself. He's from a small town and getting to play in a big city like Montreal, his partying got WAY out of hand and now I am worried he may have some serious addiction problems (he's a smoker!). I question about how serious he is about his NHL career. He had issues with his teammates because half of them thought he wasn't even trying (see Andrei Markov) and Brian Gionta made a very telling post-game comment about Halak battling for those 2nd/3rd saves a few months ago and that Carey has to realize he has to fight for it if he wants success in this league.

Carey is just a kid and still trying to find himself. But the kid has severe psychological issues, back when Halak found his game and was starting, Price didn't even bother to practice harder to play. He was coasting on his talent alone and I'm sure his teammates noticed this.

Trust me, I'm a big Price fan but I think he would better suited to play in a non-hockey market where winning isn't that important.

Old
06-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Carey Price got rushed into the NHL and now he's so screwed up. He's really emotional with zero confidence in himself. He's from a small town and getting to play in a big city like Montreal, his partying got WAY out of hand and now I am worried he may have some serious addiction problems (he's a smoker!). I question about how serious he is about his NHL career. He had issues with his teammates because half of them thought he wasn't even trying (see Andrei Markov) and Brian Gionta made a very telling post-game comment about Halak battling for those 2nd/3rd saves a few months ago and that Carey has to realize he has to fight for it if he wants success in this league.

Carey is just a kid and still trying to find himself. But the kid has severe psychological issues, back when Halak found his game and was starting, Price didn't even bother to practice harder to play. He was coasting on his talent alone and I'm sure his teammates noticed this.

Trust me, I'm a big Price fan but I think he would better suited to play in a non-hockey market where winning isn't that important.
Come on 87, I get the effort thing because he's young but to say he has mental issues has absolutely no basis in truth. Even if you're a qualified psychologist, you can't make that determination from the TV or newspaper. Give it a rest.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Your comments reflect more about last year(2008-2009), I think 09-10 was a growing experience for him, especially the last 25 games and playoffs.

Just because a kid struggles due to being thrust in a bigger role he was ready for doesn't mean he can't cope with pressure and can't play in a big market. It's very common for athletes to fail at something, learn and grow from it and come back stronger.

It was said many times in the media that Price did not go hide in the training room when he had rough games and stretches, he faced the media and answered the questions, plus he could have forced a trade at the end of the season but instead he said he wanted to stay here and play in this market, that says a lot.

Old
06-30-2010, 05:23 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
It was said many times in the media that Price did not go hide in the training room when he had rough games and stretches, he faced the media and answered the questions, plus he could have forced a trade at the end of the season but instead he said he wanted to stay here and play in this market, that says a lot.
That's what he said but I think he secretly wanted a trade out of Montreal. It's obvious the kid has lost A LOT of confidence in himself and he's having a tough time dealing with the pressure. He showed serious levels of frustration during the season and he felt like the defense let him down many games (which it did). I'm still not sure if all his teammates have really accepted him because Price has a big personality. And when he got word that they traded Halak, Carey Price said he was "shocked" because now he has to work his a** off this summer and I'm still not convinced his new found work ethic is there, lol.

Old
06-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
That's what he said but I think he secretly wanted a trade out of Montreal. It's obvious the kid has lost A LOT of confidence in himself and he's having a tough time dealing with the pressure. He showed serious levels of frustration during the season and he felt like the defense let him down many games (which it did). I'm still not sure if all his teammates have really accepted him because Price has a big personality. And when he got word that they traded Halak, Carey Price said he was "shocked" because now he has to work his a** off this summer and I'm still not convinced his new found work ethic is there, lol.
If Price really wanted out of Montreal he would have been the one traded. All he had to do was send his agent to PG and ask to be moved. I'm sure PG would have traded him instead of Halak if that had happened, because trading Halak at that point would have been suicide.

Old
06-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Mats NAslund

I'd offer 6 years 18 million = Cap hit of 3 million per season

or

4 years 10 million = Cap hit of 2.5 million per season

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:16 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
If Price really wanted out of Montreal he would have been the one traded. All he had to do was send his agent to PG and ask to be moved. I'm sure PG would have traded him instead of Halak if that had happened, because trading Halak at that point would have been suicide.
But the thing is management (Gauthier, BG) have really catered to him and spoiled him. Maybe Carey Price didn't want to ask for a trade because he'd feel like he'd let them down, i.e. management was wrong about him. Yes, Carey faced the media after wins/losses and I respect him for that, but he showed serious levels of anger with the brutal team in front of him and the kid is being swallowed alive by the pressure. I'm still NOT convinced his work ethic and "positive" attitude is legit. I honestly think the kid needs to stay with a veteran in Montreal or bring his own parents to Montreal, and have him just focus on his hockey and nothing else. He also needs to get some serious help with his addiction problems and psychological issues, and channel all his inner demons into his hockey career.

Old
06-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Astroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Now that Carey Price is the #1 goaltender it's time to decide how much and how long we sign him for. Montreal have about $9 million left in cap space to sign Price, backup and any ufa they are interested in with the current team structure today. I'm thinking PG is going to sign Price for 3 years @ 3.5 million per. What do you think?
One year, 2.0-2.5? I wouldn't sign him more than 2 years, just in case. It will be a while before he has the chance to become a UFA......might as well take things year by year to see how he develops. Might cost more in the long run, but cap will hopefully increase in years to come, and less risk that way.

Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
But the thing is management (Gauthier, BG) have really catered to him and spoiled him. Maybe Carey Price didn't want to ask for a trade because he'd feel like he'd let them down, i.e. management was wrong about him. Yes, Carey faced the media after wins/losses and I respect him for that, but he showed serious levels of anger with the brutal team in front of him and the kid is being swallowed alive by the pressure. I'm still NOT convinced his work ethic and "positive" attitude is legit. I honestly think the kid needs to stay with a veteran in Montreal or bring his own parents to Montreal, and have him just focus on his hockey and nothing else. He also needs to get some serious help with his addiction problems and psychological issues, and channel all his inner demons into his hockey career.
What the hell......Do you know Price personally? Are you his doctor? where do you get off slandering someone like that?

Man...Saying he has addictions and psychological issues? You got all that from watching him on TV, you should replace Dr. Phil!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote