HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Leighton Re-signing Imminent

Old
06-30-2010, 01:36 PM
JSTAFF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
43 as of today, funny u should ask...

I've followed Philly since about 1978.. Throu the worst seasons and the hi's of the 97 cup run...

My fondest memories are the Hextall years of course thou

Some people might not understand my following Leightons run in Philly, but I believe to my core he will be what we need this season
I believe your core sucks.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:49 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
43 as of today, funny u should ask...

I've followed Philly since about 1978.. Throu the worst seasons and the hi's of the 97 cup run...

My fondest memories are the Hextall years of course thou

Some people might not understand my following Leightons run in Philly, but I believe to my core he will be what we need this season

That's cool. Was just making sure you've seen the years of guys named LaForest, Roussel, Checkmanek etc. I like your conviction, but I think Leighton belongs with those names, unfortunately.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:52 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

It's a done deal...

I like that both Leighton and his agent have stayed committed to their play-off beards...shows how serious they are about next year. A little disconcerting though to see all that grey and white in Leighton's beard. Dude is only 29, I'm not sure what his problem is. Hopefully, Holmgren did his homework, and we don't have some sort of strangeass Robin Williams/Jack progeria situation on our hands. Leighton also needs to lay off the Tastykakes.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:59 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
It's a done deal...

I like that both Leighton and his agent have stayed committed to their play-off beards...shows how serious they are about next year. A little disconcerting though to see all that grey and white in Leighton's beard. Dude is only 29, I'm not sure what his problem is. Hopefully, Holmgren did his homework, and we don't have some sort of strangeass Robin Williams/Jack progeria situation on our hands. Leighton also needs to lay off the Tastykakes.
Nicely done.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Well obviously my Avatar suggests I'm not a Leighton fan and I'm not .....at least not in a starting role. It's pretty sad how this goalie soap opera keeps playing out. It would have been nice if Holmgren had made an offer to Gainey for Halak back in Dec when he offered him to the Flyers. Rumors were that they wanted Carter but it has yet to be substantiated and I doubt it was a 1 for 1 offer. Fact is no counteroffer was made if we are to believe the reports. Anyway, we are now back to taking the least worst option. Holmgren and the Flyers seem to the be the masters of the least worst option. I can live with Leighton for now and him "competing" for the job but the competition is suspect unless Backlund is prepared to make his own splash this year which is possible. However, it's all going to come down to how much he is PAID!
If he gets more than 1.5M Holmgren will have put another nail in his prepared coffin. I have a feeling we are going to overpay Leighton..kind of like we did with Esche when after his playoff success the one year Clarke tore up his existing contract and gave him a more lucrative one...of course Esche never lived up to the hype. I hope this does not happen but it seems to be going that way....

Now if Leighton falters and his "competition" can't cut it as well...I suspect Holmgren at some point will have to part with his personal hiney boy Carter and if Carter stinks it up, underachieves or has a long term injury that option will be limited or completely null and void. This then will leave Hartnell and Gagne as options for trade for a goalie if they don't get dealt this summer.

What will sweeten the bitter taste of this goaltending drama that is ongoing is signing somebody like Volchenkov or Martin..if that happens I will be less mad but if Holmgren is left with his pants down in signing a high end D man then I'm going to personally prepare an effigy to replace William Penn atop city hall!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
The problem with all of this is the use of such phrases as, "There were reports". There is a lot of conjecture involved. This is why folks go nuts over Eklund, because they act as if every bit of rumor or hint of "talks" is true.
... well, we DID trade for Hamhuis and Nabokov's negotiating rights (permission in the case of Nabokov). It seems pretty clear we did with Turco as well. I don't find it remotely shocking that we'd have interest in Volchenkov and Martin (that's the only bit of conjecture there).

So, there isn't really much a problem with that sequence of events, other than refuting that they are interested in other D.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:32 PM
DarthYoda28

2 years, 3.1 Mil deal for Leighton. That MIGHT give us some room to still get someone else...but if we are still updating defense, then kiss Nabby or Turco goodbye!

DarthYoda28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:35 PM
clodejirew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Well obviously my Avatar suggests I'm not a Leighton fan and I'm not .....at least not in a starting role. It's pretty sad how this goalie soap opera keeps playing out. It would have been nice if Holmgren had made an offer to Gainey for Halak back in Dec when he offered him to the Flyers. Rumors were that they wanted Carter but it has yet to be substantiated and I doubt it was a 1 for 1 offer. Fact is no counteroffer was made if we are to believe the reports. Anyway, we are now back to taking the least worst option. Holmgren and the Flyers seem to the be the masters of the least worst option. I can live with Leighton for now and him "competing" for the job but the competition is suspect unless Backlund is prepared to make his own splash this year which is possible. However, it's all going to come down to how much he is PAID!
If he gets more than 1.5M Holmgren will have put another nail in his prepared coffin. I have a feeling we are going to overpay Leighton..kind of like we did with Esche when after his playoff success the one year Clarke tore up his existing contract and gave him a more lucrative one...of course Esche never lived up to the hype. I hope this does not happen but it seems to be going that way....

Now if Leighton falters and his "competition" can't cut it as well...I suspect Holmgren at some point will have to part with his personal hiney boy Carter and if Carter stinks it up, underachieves or has a long term injury that option will be limited or completely null and void. This then will leave Hartnell and Gagne as options for trade for a goalie if they don't get dealt this summer.

What will sweeten the bitter taste of this goaltending drama that is ongoing is signing somebody like Volchenkov or Martin..if that happens I will be less mad but if Holmgren is left with his pants down in signing a high end D man then I'm going to personally prepare an effigy to replace William Penn atop city hall!

your avatar suggests that you are not a Biron fan

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:36 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
That's cool. Was just making sure you've seen the years of guys named LaForest, Roussel, Checkmanek etc. I like your conviction, but I think Leighton belongs with those names, unfortunately.
Checkmanek doesn't deserve that kind of insult.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:43 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
your avatar suggests that you are not a Biron fan
Damn..the pads gave him away.....Biron..Leighton same difference

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
if leighton is going to be the starter, these boards are going to be hilarious.

unfortunately, id miss it all because id probably go headbutt the sidewalk until i die.

homer, please don't make me headbutt the sidewalk.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:24 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

My silent protest will be not getting center ice. I will only watch the Jersey/Boston/Montreal series on a loop i guess.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Flyerfan4life

oh i'll still be here during the season..

guess we'll see if hes like previous Flyers goalies or if he's truely his own man..

i'm betting his stint here will be the defining role of his NHL career..

dont give much of a **** what the haters think.. but it must suck to be so negative all the time.. instead of trying to see the bright possible future..

Quote:

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:23 PM
FlyerEra2010

Quote:
dont give much of a **** what the haters think.. but it must suck to be so negative all the time.. instead of trying to see the bright possible future..
I've kinda got a feeling that he'll be a pretty good goalie for us, too. It's gonna be pretty funny when the few Leighton fans around here turn out to be either the smartest guys on the forum this time next year or the village idiots.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Flyerfan4life

i dont mind either way...

never said i have a crystal ball.. but i refuse to look at life from a negative point of view..

for me i beleive Leighton ended up at this team and this point in his career for a reason..

this is the place his legacy will be forged..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:14 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Nothing personal, but your avatar is horrible. Why would you use the Rags logo template for anything Flyers?
seriously, does no one get that it's supposed to be disrespectful? it's kind of like a 'we own the rangers so were going to steal their logo to humiliate them' type of thing.

i think it's hilarious, so whatever.

but in order to stop people from being confused, i'll change it. it's not worth explaining every time someone doesn't understand.

EDIT: Better, everyone?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

i cant recognize you without your old avatar. who are you again?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:20 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i cant recognize you without your old avatar. who are you again?
this is already causing problems!!

see what happens when i try to please people?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:50 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
I've kinda got a feeling that he'll be a pretty good goalie for us, too. It's gonna be pretty funny when the few Leighton fans around here turn out to be either the smartest guys on the forum this time next year or the village idiots.
I would say:

20% of the board are convinced that Leighton is an AHL quality goalie and Pronger held his hand throughout the whole season (must have been tough to hold his stick while he was holding Carle AND Leightons hands at the same time )

70% of the board would be satisfied with him as our backup, especially over Boosh

10% of the board want to see him succeed as a starter and are cheerleading the deal

99.999999% of the board are PISSED that he was given WAY more money than he deserved ESPECIALLY after we LOWBALLED a goalie 100x better than him in Turco for ALMOST THE SAME SALARY WE JUST GAVE MICHAEL ****ING LEIGHTON and we did all of this the day before free agency started in a BUYER'S MARKET FOR GOALIES!

Does that sum it up pretty much?

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I would say:

20% of the board are convinced that Leighton is an AHL quality goalie and Pronger held his hand throughout the whole season (must have been tough to hold his stick while he was holding Carle AND Leightons hands at the same time )

70% of the board would be satisfied with him as our backup, especially over Boosh

10% of the board want to see him succeed as a starter and are cheerleading the deal

99.999999% of the board are PISSED that he was given WAY more money than he deserved ESPECIALLY after we LOWBALLED a goalie 100x better than him in Turco for ALMOST THE SAME SALARY WE JUST GAVE MICHAEL ****ING LEIGHTON and we did all of this the day before free agency started in a BUYER'S MARKET FOR GOALIES!

Does that sum it up pretty much?
I agree with these parts and thus am made up of 109.999999% Flyers fan.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:07 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

God ****ing damn it!

1.5 million Homer?? Reallly?? Wait another couple days and that price goes down to 500k! Noone is going to sign this clown, and if they do...**** it, LET THEM!

****!!!!

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:26 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
I agree with these parts and thus am made up of 109.999999% Flyers fan.
10+20+70 = 100
99.999999 = (the squiggly kind) 100

funny nonetheless.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

It's the first anniversary of this legendary day in Holmgren's tenure as GM.

I proclaim today to be Michael Leighton day! Do what you will to celebrate. I think I'll drink until I forget, while toasting to Bobrovsky for keeping me from having to headbutt a sidewalk until I die.

edit: I look forward to seeing everyone panic when they see this thread title in the forum. You're welcome for the strokes!

06-30-2011, 01:44 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Happy Birthday! .....wait a second...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:44 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

i vote a account suspension for this unworthy bump