HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good luck with Sergei Kostitsyn

Old
06-30-2010, 07:57 AM
JrHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Montreal is a place where some relatively harmless immaturity can really grow legs and sprint. Despite everybody trashing Sergei as worthless, 68 points in 158 games on a player just turned 23 is pretty good stuff. And Sergei isn't just a floaty offensive guy either, he plays with the same chip on his shoulder on the ice that gets him into trouble off it, he'll hit and even fight, he has shown he can be a PK player down the road.

It's funny how things have ballooned out of all proportion on him in the past 18 months or so. We never talk about it anymore, but back when he was ripping it up in London, it was all sunshine and lollipops and there were articles about how Sergei was loved by his teammates, how he was such a personable guy, how he was so appreciated for his two-way play despite the big numbers, etc.

But there's a flip side to being a star player in London too. A guy like Sergei coming from a pretty well-off background, not a lot of good players in Belarus, on to London where the stars were getting 30 minutes and encouraged to run up scores and pad personal stats and have less accountability maybe than in some other systems... straight onto the Habs as a 20-year old with only a brief two-month apprenticeship in the minors... it's not exactly the path that too many kids get exposed to on their way up. Most have to battle through more adversity.

Sergei really could have been playing top-6 in the NHL the last couple years. He has the talent, and he's ready to explode. But he just didn't get a chance to settle in to a rhythm with the Habs. Not a lot of young players get that chance, however. Sergei was accustomed to skipping grades, however, and he wasn't equipped to deal with being set back onto the "normal" path for a young forward in the NHL. His immaturity has cost him. The kicker is that he really is good enough to play... he knows it, we know it, but he just didn't have the humility/maturity to put his nose to the grindstone and accept NHL justice.

I don't know how to expect him to suddenly mature more, or to think that Trotz is the guy to give him the free passes that he seems to need. But he's a good player, and if either or both sides can move to the middle to some degree, the Preds are going to get a good player out of the deal, I believe.
I agree with most of what you say. But as for his easy time in London? Dale Hunter gives top players a lot of minutes, that is for sure. But those minutes have to be earned. There are no "free passes". Hunter insisted that the players keep there foot on the gas. So what you called padding stats was actually hard work. So when David Bolland was suspended in the playoffs, it was SK who stepped up and became a scorer, finishing 2nd in the OHL scoring race that year. You don't get that through free passes or entitlement.

As for skipping grades? SK was drafted by Montreal before going to the CHL. So he could have gone to the AHL as a 19 year old. Montreal wanted him to go back to London for a second year, which he did. His stay in the AHL was short the next year, but he earned a promotion with his play. No free pass there either. He had a good first year in Montreal

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Point taken, but there are still plenty who play in the NHL right away... Legwand, Hartenll, Upshall, and many many more not in our organization...
Sure, although it's interesting to note that the guys you listed just happen to be top-10 overall NHL draft choices. Sergei was picked 200th overall, and it's less common for somebody coming from there to step right into the NHL at 20 years old...

Just as an aside.

Anyway, I see him as a pretty safe bet for a 15-goal/30-assist kind of 2nd line contributor, with a bit of chippiness and ability to kill penalties. The upside is maybe 20/40 instead, the downside is he never grows up and leaves the NHL. Since the Preds gave up nothing for him, it's no-lose for you guys.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:55 AM
FlyingRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp10 View Post
Kostitsyn declaration since yesterdey night: Evan Gretzky was traded...

Seriously good luck with SK he is a gem in a big piece of sh**

He have a good vision and was starting to play well on PK. He play like a thug, and try to fight sometimes (Grabovski for Toronto owned him last time)

But what can you loose trying? Good trade for both team!
You know that was made up by another poster from HFBoards, right?

FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:48 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Yeah sorry I forgot the key word supposedly !

Here's a link for the mafia thing:

http://www.totalprosports.com/2009/0...ganized-crime/

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:55 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp10 View Post
But what can you loose trying?
Games.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Svoboda crash

Sergei is a damn talented guy. The big problem is that he believes he created hockey. He believes he rules his team. This is why Martin didn't want him to travel with the team during the playoff. He's a poor teammate but a hell of a playmaker.

Svoboda crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:28 PM
FanHabtic

Sergei's biggest problem is himself. He has no concept of team. He has no concept of professionalism. After his rookie season he felt that he was entitled to a roster spot and in particular a top-6 spot.

The positives:

The change of scenery might help him grow up and realize that he has to put in the work and earn his pay rather than rely on talent alone. Can be a top-6 forward with good speed and good vision on the ice.

The negatives

Despite having talent he has never put in the work. He has yet to come to camp in shape. He has to be on one of the top-2 lines to be effective. Takes bad (lazy) penalties. Loses battles along the boards. Potential to be a cancer in the dressing room and a coach's worst nightmare.

FanHabtic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Perhaps the change of scenery will be just what the doctor ordered for Kostitsyn. He joins a hard-working Predators team without the immense glare of the Montreal spotlight. Former Hab Francis Bouillon has said he’ll take him under his wing. If the talented winger can learn to fly, it’s nothing but good news for Nashville hockey fans.
http://www.examiner.com/x-8246-Nashv...s-to-Nashville

Have I mentioned recently how much I like Frankie Bouillon?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:29 PM
FlyingRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Takes bad (lazy) penalties.
8 PIM in 47 games last season.

FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:47 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

LOL.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:11 PM
glenngineer

Quote:

I like that a lot. I also I like the fact that we have Gelinas as part of our staff too. These guys are professionals on and off the ice. The great thing is Bouillon already knows SK and what he's dealing with. I don't think he would've said that without meaning it and knowing how valuable a player he can be to the team. Glad we re-signed him.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I like that a lot. I also I like the fact that we have Gelinas as part of our staff too. These guys are professionals on and off the ice. The great thing is Bouillon already knows SK and what he's dealing with. I don't think he would've said that without meaning it and knowing how valuable a player he can be to the team. Glad we re-signed him.
Watch around the :23-:24 second mark who comes in and demonstrates great strength pulling Wade Redden off of Kostitsyn...

No doubt in my mind, Bouillon will look out for SK in Nashville...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:41 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I've always liked the Cube. I'm glad we kept him around

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:48 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Francis is one of my favorite preds. And a big reason is his attitude. He shows more heart than any pred when hes on the ice imo.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:44 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Watch around the :23-:24 second mark who comes in and demonstrates great strength pulling Wade Redden off of Kostitsyn...

No doubt in my mind, Bouillon will look out for SK in Nashville...
Wow. That was pretty cool. A guy hanging all over Frankie and he still pulls Redden of off SK.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:15 PM
hockey diva

No!

I don't want this guy in our laundry. I don't care how offensively talented he is, he is a lazy prima donna. I can not see him fitting in here. We don't have the night life he's used to, we don't have anyone who speaks Russian and he will actually have to work. He will probably bolt the first time he gets criticized.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
I don't want this guy in our laundry. I don't care how offensively talented he is, he is a lazy prima donna. I can not see him fitting in here. We don't have the night life he's used to, we don't have anyone who speaks Russian and he will actually have to work. He will probably bolt the first time he gets criticized.
I'm going to reserve my comments until I actually see him play for our team, but I am secretly thinking this in the back of my mind. You have to give him a chance though.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:29 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

funny interview with Kostitsyn, first year in MTL

you will understand what MTL media are all about

Last edited by Quarantesix: 07-01-2010 at 03:36 AM.
Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:17 AM
Juneemoon

Some reaction from Kostitsyn. Here is the Russian link. He thinks Nashville is a good option for him and does plan to come there. Dmitry Chesnokov is also trying to track him down for an interview for Puck Daddy.

http://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/goalsby/95249.html

Quote:
Striker Sergei Kostitsyn finally replaced after the club. After all the conflicts and mutual grievances, he moved from the "Montreal" to "Nashville" and absolutely does not regret, although a few reasons to be sad all the same.

As they say, that neither is done, all the better. I knew that the exchange is inevitable, but only yesterday I received a call and was told that it would be "Nashville." I think a good option. Though nothing more specific I can not say: we must go there and stay at the club, feel the inner atmosphere.

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:13 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Damn, Cube ripped off Redden with one arm and another guy pulling him away.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well I was going through my post history and saw this gem. I'm glad he turned a new leaf in Nashville.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:59 AM
SilasAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Well I was going through my post history and saw this gem. I'm glad he turned a new leaf in Nashville.
timely bump. i condone in it

sergei>>

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Firestorm

Hopefully Skynet can score another 50 points next season!

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:55 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

If we don't re-sign I might just burn a jersey and start my own personal mini riot.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote