HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Heatly in a car accident

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2003, 04:10 PM
  #51
Hairball
Registered User
 
Hairball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oiler Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch79
"As for Dawgbone, my point is, good people sometimes make bad decisions. Young people especially make bad decisions. You've mentioned yourself, or someone else said, that they've had 5 speeding tickets since they were 18. The only difference between that and this is that Heatley had the bad luck to slide off the road and hit the building. The consequences will be much more severe, but the actions leading up to it are pretty similar. Again, as I said earlier, I suspect that there but for the grace of God goes pretty much everyone on this board. I draw a distinction between an event like this and something like the alleged rap committed by Kobe Bryant. Its a tragic event and all that people can do is try and learn from it and change their behaviour. Condemning Heatley as someone unworthy of respect because he had the bad luck to have an accident while driving dangerously is hypocritical, unless you condemn all those who drive dangerously.

Not to make light of a serious situation but this stuck out to me. Wasn't the alleged rap committed by Shaq? Kobe is the **** case.


Having said that, I agree with most of the views here in that he deserves everything he gets and if that includes a loss of respect from fans then so be it. Anytime someone does something stupid, they lose respect from others. I know this is poor timing bringing this up but I lost respect for Fuhr when he was caught using cocaine.
This is not a case of him having bad luck. It is a case of him mking bad decisions and placing the lives of others in danger. There is no excuse for that no matter how you try to spin it Shaq.

Hairball is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 04:22 PM
  #52
Tarkus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The Booth
Country: Nepal
Posts: 2,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball
Not to make light of a serious situation but this stuck out to me. Wasn't the alleged rap committed by Shaq?
Yes, Shaq has allegedly--on several occasions--committed rap. And dammit, he should do hard time for that!

As for Heatley, I hope the book gets thrown at him. However, he won't spend a second in jail; he'll get a suspended sentence and a token fine, and be back on the ice in no time...

Tarkus is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 04:28 PM
  #53
Hairball
Registered User
 
Hairball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oiler Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,533
vCash: 500
I've been edited.
My apologies to all for any offense I may have caused. It was certainly not meant.

Hairball is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 04:28 PM
  #54
Jewelly
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44

and for the record yes it was an "accident"
According your record maybe.When all criminal charges have been dropped against Heatly and it is brought to light that he wasn't driving recklessly, was obeying the rules of the road (you know those rules you learn about and tests you take before receiving your license) and that he actually swerved in order to miss a pedestrain or a platypus... then I won't refer to the incident as being an accident... until then I'll consider it a crash.

 
Old
09-30-2003, 04:30 PM
  #55
Hairball
Registered User
 
Hairball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oiler Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,533
vCash: 500
I'm with you Jewelly.

I am however finding it hard to fear your game face. Are the nucks gonna cute us to death tonight?

Hairball is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 04:32 PM
  #56
Jewelly
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball
I'm with you Jewelly.

I am however finding it hard to fear your game face. Are the nucks gonna cute us to death tonight?
We're running out options here. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

When all else fails... bring out the babies.

 
Old
09-30-2003, 04:56 PM
  #57
serum114
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelly
When all else fails... bring out the babies.
I thought that was the Oilers approach. Hemsky, Stoll, Semenov...

serum114 is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 05:07 PM
  #58
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
[QUOTE=mudcrutch79...Condemning Heatley as someone unworthy of respect because he had the bad luck to have an accident while driving dangerously is hypocritical, unless you condemn all those who drive dangerously.[/QUOTE]

I do condemn all those that drive dangerously.

It isn't because he is famous, it isn't because I don't like him...

It is because he did something extremely stupid that not only put himself, but at least one other person in danger.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 05:23 PM
  #59
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch79


It sounds much worse when you say he was driving 80 KM/h over the speed limit than when you say he was driving 130 KMH. I know how fast you Albertans drive generally, and on highways for many, its around 130 KMH. Its not like driving 130 KMH is, in and of itself, an unsafe speed. Obviously, in this instance, it was unsafe, but his vehicle is designed to drive much faster than that, and in many countries the limit is that. That saod, you play by the rules of the park you're in, and he violated them. I'd justpoint out that none of us here have any idea what the road there was like or what the neighbourhood is like. It may well be that people customarily drive through it at 100 or 110-someone mentioned it connects between interstates or something?
There is a very big difference between driving 130 km/h on a highway, and driving it on a residential street.

Ask yourself this... why would the speed limit on a residential street be only 50 km/h?

Chances are because of the road, how many curves are in it, the condition, the number of pedestrians that are usually on it... that is all taken into account.

Sure, a Ferrari can be driven 130 km/h with relative ease... but it doesn't mean the person driving it can handle that speed going around corners.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 05:25 PM
  #60
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
2 things...

1. I should start reading further on, because I just posted 2 comments that were already made.

2. Mommentai and I have agreed on something, in which case hell has frozen over, and the leafs are winning the cup.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 05:44 PM
  #61
Jewelly
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone

Sure, a Ferrari can be driven 130 km/h with relative ease... but it doesn't mean the person driving it can handle that speed going around corners.
Solution: Young, male, multi-millionaire hockey superstars, please practice your Ferrari skills... in the desert.

 
Old
09-30-2003, 05:44 PM
  #62
serum114
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
2. Mommentai and I have agreed on something, in which case hell has frozen over, and the leafs are winning the cup.
Now, now, let's not get carried away. Hell may freeze over, pigs may fly but the Leafs?

Now you're talking crazy :p

serum114 is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 05:52 PM
  #63
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
1. I should start reading further on, because I just posted 2 comments that were already made.
I guess I'm a little quick on the post button... but I think I addressed the points well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
2. Mommentai and I have agreed on something, in which case hell has frozen over, and the leafs are winning the cup.
I think you should keep the Leafs comment to yourself. We don't need anymore comments on the Leafs winning the cup this year. You get enough from Maple Leaf fans. :p

momentai is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 08:15 PM
  #64
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelly
According your record maybe.When all criminal charges have been dropped against Heatly and it is brought to light that he wasn't driving recklessly, was obeying the rules of the road (you know those rules you learn about and tests you take before receiving your license) and that he actually swerved in order to miss a pedestrain or a platypus... then I won't refer to the incident as being an accident... until then I'll consider it a crash.
I think you didn't bother to read the rest of my posts did you?, and notice that the word accident has brackets around it. In other words and what I cleary explained in the rest of my post, I don't really consider it to be an accident.

I think you need to read the whole post. And since you missed the context I will explain it to you. It will still be classified as an accident but I cleary think as my post shows that it was reckless and stupid!!

Please read the context of posts and don't pull out one sentence out of context and then preach to the choir, when I clearly showed in the rest of my posts and this one what I think of this incident!!

You even chide me for not thinking the accident was reckless, please read all my posts!!!!!!!

I can't believe you would make this comment to me if you actually read more than one sentence that you took out of context!!!!

Shame on you, and just to repeat what I have said. It was stupid, reckless and he should be held accountable for his actions. I think though that you may be the only person that missed that!

I don't usually react like this but to even accuse me of thinking this incident was anything more than stupid and reckless demeans me, especially in the light of what I have written in my posts on this matter that you obviously did not bother to read.

Your post was condescending in tune and totally uncalled for. From the same post that you pulled one sentence from.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
He was reckless in his actions and deserves to be punished. Dan Snyder is in critical condition and could die, and he could also be charged with vehicular homicide.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I also called his actions stupid in the same post!!

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 07:18 AM
  #65
Jewelly
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
I think you didn't bother to read the rest of my posts did you?, and notice that the word accident has brackets around it. In other words and what I cleary explained in the rest of my post, I don't really consider it to be an accident.

I think you need to read the whole post. And since you missed the context I will explain it to you. It will still be classified as an accident but I cleary think as my post shows that it was reckless and stupid!!

Please read the context of posts and don't pull out one sentence out of context and then preach to the choir, when I clearly showed in the rest of my posts and this one what I think of this incident!!

You even chide me for not thinking the accident was reckless, please read all my posts!!!!!!!

I can't believe you would make this comment to me if you actually read more than one sentence that you took out of context!!!!

Shame on you, and just to repeat what I have said. It was stupid, reckless and he should be held accountable for his actions. I think though that you may be the only person that missed that!

I don't usually react like this but to even accuse me of thinking this incident was anything more than stupid and reckless demeans me, especially in the light of what I have written in my posts on this matter that you obviously did not bother to read.

Your post was condescending in tune and totally uncalled for. From the same post that you pulled one sentence from.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
He was reckless in his actions and deserves to be punished. Dan Snyder is in critical condition and could die, and he could also be charged with vehicular homicide.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I also called his actions stupid in the same post!!
I did read all of your post and I pretty much agreed with what you wrote.

The reason why I pulled out that one sentence was b/c it was that particular point I was debating earlier in the day with other posters.

Basically my contribution to the thread was whether it was more accurate to refer to the Heatly incident as an 'accident' or a 'crash'.

I left it up to others to discuss/debate all other aspects of the incident; I instead chose to focus on one small detail and that's why I quoted only one point from your post.

Your for the record, it was an accident comment came across to me as though you were an authority on the matter and that no further discussion was necessary. In other words, case closed.

The fact that you put the word "accident" in quotation marks... I assumed you were referring to my comments, since I was the one who initiated the subject.

If this isn't how you intended (which now I don't think it was) your for the record statement to be understood, then I do apologize for assuming so. Maybe I should have asked first: "Which record are you referring to: police record, insurance record or your own record?"

Do keep in mind though that this is a message board and often what we write can easily be misinterpreted to those reading our message. It's up to us to try to clear up mistakes or misunderstandings which in this case was probably a misunderstanding on my part and again I do apologize for that.

On the other hand, maybe you could have asked me what I meant by my comment instead of accusing me of chiding in, preaching to the choir and being condescending. I think you went a bit over on the shame on you comment too but that's just my opinion.

 
Old
10-01-2003, 10:33 AM
  #66
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Ladies... Chalk it up to a misunderstanding and let it slide.

momentai is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 10:35 AM
  #67
aki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Terminology

Consider this spectrum of actions:

- intentional, i.e. done deliberately
- reckless, i.e. foolhardy; without regard for the consequences
- negligent, i.e. careless, neglectful
- accidental, i.e. by chance; as a result of uncontrollable factors

I'd say it was reckless.

aki is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 11:39 AM
  #68
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelly
I did read all of your post and I pretty much agreed with what you wrote.

The reason why I pulled out that one sentence was b/c it was that particular point I was debating earlier in the day with other posters.

Basically my contribution to the thread was whether it was more accurate to refer to the Heatly incident as an 'accident' or a 'crash'.

I left it up to others to discuss/debate all other aspects of the incident; I instead chose to focus on one small detail and that's why I quoted only one point from your post.

Your for the record, it was an accident comment came across to me as though you were an authority on the matter and that no further discussion was necessary. In other words, case closed.

The fact that you put the word "accident" in quotation marks... I assumed you were referring to my comments, since I was the one who initiated the subject.

If this isn't how you intended (which now I don't think it was) your for the record statement to be understood, then I do apologize for assuming so. Maybe I should have asked first: "Which record are you referring to: police record, insurance record or your own record?"

Do keep in mind though that this is a message board and often what we write can easily be misinterpreted to those reading our message. It's up to us to try to clear up mistakes or misunderstandings which in this case was probably a misunderstanding on my part and again I do apologize for that.

On the other hand, maybe you could have asked me what I meant by my comment instead of accusing me of chiding in, preaching to the choir and being condescending. I think you went a bit over on the shame on you comment too but that's just my opinion.
and now I will clarify why I said for the record it was an accident and let me premise my statements that I do work in the industry.

Was it reckless, negligent, of course! It would be hard to argue anything else and I am not going to argue that.

But did he mean to injure himself and put his friend in a coma. The obvious answer to that question is no. 99% of accidents are preventable and many are caused by negligence and even reckless behavior but are still classified as accidents and that is what I meant by saying it will be classified as an accident.

I certainly agree with your point about the word "accident" gets bandied about way too often and he certainly didn't act as a person that was reasonable but it would be hard to prove that he meant to injure himself and the other passenger.

Misunderstandings happen and I now know where you were coming from and I hope the above explains where I was coming from. I was actually trying to defend your stand and certainly was not trying to argue against it.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 11:46 AM
  #69
mudcrutch79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Big Smoke
Posts: 3,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
i am almost 40 and have two teenage girls. It scares the heck out me when I hear about stuff like this because I was an idiot when I was young and I worry about my girls. Heatly is still a kid and deserves a chance to repay his debt to society.
Thor, this is essentially my point. I don't know anything about you now, but presumably you're a worthwhile member of society. Anyone attributing any qualities to Dany Heatley prior to this accident beyond his hockey ability was kind of foolish, as they likely knew essentially nothing about him.

He's a young guy, who did something stupid, and he's going to pay for it, as he should. I think its kind of odd that the penalties would be different for having an accident, but that's the justice system. Regardless of what he gets from the courts, I'm sure most people would trade a year in the type of prison he'd end up in for washing away the guilt.

I'll be interested to see if MacT ends up having any comment on this. I suspect that the next time the Oilers and Thrashers play, he'll have a word with Heatley.

mudcrutch79 is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 11:55 AM
  #70
Jewelly
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44

Misunderstandings happen and I now know where you were coming from and I hope the above explains where I was coming from. I was actually trying to defend your stand and certainly was not trying to argue against it.
I understand... now.

This site needs a 'Clarica' advisor on board.

 
Old
10-01-2003, 12:00 PM
  #71
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelly
I understand... now.

This site needs a 'Clarica' advisor on board.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.