HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UPDATE Kostitsyn signs for $550,000 one year deal

Old
06-30-2010, 07:12 AM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
I really like this trade. We weren't going to resign Ellis or Boyd, but we got a player with serious talent for them. Sure he has his issues, but if any coach can fix him, its our resident no-neck. Props to Poile for picking up offensive talent for nothing. If we can screw his head on straight, he could be a solid top 6 forward.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:18 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I commend Poile for making such a low/no risk, high reward move. Why not?

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:37 AM
66Falconboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I love the fan base. Poile does nothing, he gets yelled at. He makes moves, he gets yelled at. No matter what decisions he makes it's wrong. Let's see, we've gotten two players for guys we were going to lose as free agents. They may not be what everyone wants but we have gained assets back and in my eyes, that's a good thing. Even if SK turns into an idiot, so what, we tried something. People are always saying we need change and need to go in a different direction. Well, here we are, going in another direction and everyone is up in arms. Why not wait until the picture is fully painted before we go nuts on Poile.
+1 -- Good one, Glenn...

66Falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:15 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

In the past few days Poile has turned less than Chicken **** and turned it into Chicken salad.

Hamhuis GONE----> Parent and pick
Dan Ellis Dustin Boyd GONE -----> SK

Seriously, this ranks just a level below wine from water. Parent will help with the PK and pair with Franson. SK is a whiskey Tango foxtrot yes. BUT the Preds got him for a 2012 5th. Seriously, that's it. Ellis was vapor, Boyd was going to get pushed out possibly by Halischuk. Would you rather Boyd go on the waiver wire? Would you rather Dan Ellis go and sign with Montreal and get NOTHING for him?

If you were expecting Ellis and Boyd for Alexander Ovechkin, you would need Jesus Christ as the GM and Buddah and Allah for the scouting department.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Paincakes

This trade is awesome simply for the fact that if the team can turn Sergei around we have a legit top-6 winger on our hands and if not, then so the **** what.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

What the....... Kostitsyn would be the last player I'd expect Poile to go after. Unpredictable summer so far.

First we trade for Grebeshkov, now Kostitsyn, maybe Poile is trying to tell Radulov something, lol

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 142
Not a thing wrong with this move. Not every day you can have this kind of chance. SK has less pressure now and fresh air. If he never plays a game here he has a chance to right his own ship.

I was ready for Ellis to move on but now I feel a little sorry for him, if he does sign with the Habs those fans will crucify the guy. He can be a decent back-up but im not convinced Price can survive, placing Ellis in the hotseat. This will be career ending for him. He couldn't even keep the back-up job in Dallas and had signs of improvment here and now to go to the Habs in a real tough situation.

Someone posted that its possible none of the three will ever play for the team they were traded to and I agree. But ya have to give DP credit this off season at least he is not sitting in the corner.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
In the past few days Poile has turned less than Chicken **** and turned it into Chicken salad.

Hamhuis GONE----> Parent and pick
Dan Ellis Dustin Boyd GONE -----> SK

Seriously, this ranks just a level below wine from water. Parent will help with the PK and pair with Franson. SK is a whiskey Tango foxtrot yes. BUT the Preds got him for a 2012 5th. Seriously, that's it. Ellis was vapor, Boyd was going to get pushed out possibly by Halischuk. Would you rather Boyd go on the waiver wire? Would you rather Dan Ellis go and sign with Montreal and get NOTHING for him?

If you were expecting Ellis and Boyd for Alexander Ovechkin, you would need Jesus Christ as the GM and Buddah and Allah for the scouting department.
Penguin fans are T'd off about the whole hamhuis thing. I am REALLY glad we dumped him.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:31 PM
RollingPredFan

This has to be record, I have never seen so many impending FA's traded I like it, low risk with a possible high reward. You can't say this offseason has been boring at least

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:36 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Penguin fans are T'd off about the whole hamhuis thing. I am REALLY glad we dumped him.
I was in Pittsburgh for the past couple of days and you could feel the steam coming off the radio.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:13 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I don't know why they are ticked. hamhuis made it clear he wanted to test free agency. hamhuis has made it clear he wants a bigger role on a team. he is well within his rights not to sign with any team he doesn't want to and well within his rights to ask a team what his role would be. That is what free agency is about. get paid. have people come after you.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:28 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Not a thing wrong with this move. Not every day you can have this kind of chance. SK has less pressure now and fresh air. If he never plays a game here he has a chance to right his own ship.

I was ready for Ellis to move on but now I feel a little sorry for him, if he does sign with the Habs those fans will crucify the guy. He can be a decent back-up but im not convinced Price can survive, placing Ellis in the hotseat. This will be career ending for him. He couldn't even keep the back-up job in Dallas and had signs of improvment here and now to go to the Habs in a real tough situation.

Someone posted that its possible none of the three will ever play for the team they were traded to and I agree. But ya have to give DP credit this off season at least he is not sitting in the corner.

If Ellis has a SJ game ....remember 5 goals in the 3rd period like...in Mtl ..they'll run him out of town. So it's make or break for Ellis. Because I agree Price hasn't proven nothing except trust from Mtl's big cheeses. Just remember you what you ask and you got to give Poile for the courtesy for that. I think of the 3 that Ellis is only one who'll sign and the Preds get a 5th I think at least.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:40 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
If Ellis has a SJ game ....remember 5 goals in the 3rd period like...in Mtl ..they'll run him out of town. So it's make or break for Ellis. Because I agree Price hasn't proven nothing except trust from Mtl's big cheeses. Just remember you what you ask and you got to give Poile for the courtesy for that. I think of the 3 that Ellis is only one who'll sign and the Preds get a 5th I think at least.
according to Bob McKenzie, Ellis won't rule out signing with Montreal, but he'll only do so after having tested the market.

I would be shocked if we don't sign SK, on the other hand.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:42 PM
linp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Martin was like that with Latendresse too. And Pouliot usualy sees zero PP time. He just doesn't seem to bother with troublemakers or guys that have weak work ethic. In my opinion, you can't threat every players the same.
That's what I am thinking also. Martin should work in the military. Instead of trying to benefit from all the talents available to him, he likes some players and dislikes some. Not only he dislikes Sergei, he is fooling around with him. I wouldn't want to work for a boss like Martin also.

linp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by linp View Post
That's what I am thinking also. Martin should work in the military. Instead of trying to benefit from all the talents available to him, he likes some players and dislikes some. Not only he dislikes Sergei, he is fooling around with him. I wouldn't want to work for a boss like Martin also.
After reading this blog entry today from the Montreal blog All Habs these particular paragraphs stuck in my mind...

Quote:
Soon after, it was Bob Gainey to the rescue. Gainey talked Kostitsyn off the ledge and left him in the capable hands of Bulldogs coach, Guy Boucher.

Boucher and his staff spent considerable one-on-one time with Kostitsyn. The Bulldogs also helped with Kostitsyn's conditioning as he rehabbed from shoulder surgery.

Boucher down-played Sergei's attitude being an issue. "When you prove to a player that you care about them, they are going to care what you have to say," said Boucher.

Unfortunate, isn't it, that you can't teach an old dog (or coach) new tricks? Boucher's methodology if adopted by Martin and his staff could have been the key to motivating a very talented young player.
http://allhabs.blogspot.com/2010/06/...%28All+Habs%29

And it lead me to go back and find a piece I contributed to the Columbus blog The Dark Blue Jacket back in January discussing "The Predator Way" and Coach Trotz's style...

Quote:
When speaking to a roomful of youth hockey coaches during the preseason at a team sponsored clinic, Trotz really stressed that coaching is about dealing with people and the influence you can have on those people on and off the ice. He stressed that the relationship is built on trust, but that trust is earned by treating people with respect not just when it is convenient, but rather at all times and within all situations. It is about establishing a family-like culture where problems are handled internally with open discussion and without name calling or threats.

Trotz is extremely demanding of his players, but they respond consistently because they know that he is working as hard off the ice as he asks them to work on the ice, if not harder. Trotz is open with his players and in consistent communication with the "leadership" of the team (which is a group of players organized by Trotz annually to confer with the coaching staff throughout the season - no rookies, but a mix of players). This allows the players ownership of the team. It allows them to address issues on a peer level, rather than the typical "coach-player" dynamic and has lead to many changes throughout the past ten years in everything from playing style to the team's workout schedule.
http://darkbluejacket.blogspot.com/2...z-part-iv.html

As long as Kostitsyn is willing to come in here and work to prove himself and prove that he deserves this opportunity, he will be given a clean slate. This is the best environment for rehabilitating SK's career and allowing him the opportunity to realize his full potential...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
I would've rather rolled the dice on O'Sullivan and given them boyd and ellis for a low pick...

I am withholding judgement until I SK signs with us.
Trust me, signing POS would be the worst thing possible for the Predators organization.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:19 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by linp View Post
For the record, we don't treat every Soldier the same. When it comes to team building and small group leadership, the military has it pretty well figured out.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:11 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Question about SK and his status with us. I realize he becomes a RFA tomorrow but since Montreal made a qualifying offer to him before he was traded, does that qualifying offer still hold or is he free to leave tomorrow with no compensation coming our way?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Question about SK and his status with us. I realize he becomes a RFA tomorrow but since Montreal made a qualifying offer to him before he was traded, does that qualifying offer still hold or is he free to leave tomorrow with no compensation coming our way?
No, since Montreal qualified him, he remains an RFA and the Predators retain the right to match or be compensated accordingly if anyone signs Kostitsyn to an offer sheet...

Old
06-30-2010, 10:25 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, since Montreal qualified him, he remains an RFA and the Predators retain the right to match or be compensated accordingly if anyone signs Kostitsyn to an offer sheet...
Thanks.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Joannie9

Good trade for the Preds. Sergei is very talented but he wasn't liked by Martin in Montreal. Boucher said Kostitsyn's attitude was great when he was in Hamilton and he never had problems with either Hunter in London and Carbonneau in Montreal. So I don't know that happened with Martin this year...

Joannie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 04:32 PM
lightning_legwand*

Sergei Kostitsyn

So whats happening with this dude?

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 04:33 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

We traded for him a few days ago..

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
So whats happening with this dude?
Poile updated SK situation today. Recap here from BTN...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=795122

Old
07-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Bieber fever

I think SK will make 60 points next years (srs)

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote