HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Priessing on Waivers

Old
06-30-2010, 03:43 PM
jaisen73

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamSoda View Post
Never even gave him a shot. Good work getting rid of a solid PP D-man.

We clearly have extras to spare....
They did give him a shot on both the NHL and AHL levels and he didn't take advantage of the change of scenery/fresh opportunity after the Smyth trade. I'm THRILLED they're buying him out and getting at least some cap savings.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:51 PM
niwotsblessing

LEM defense: Shattenkirk, Cohen, Holos, Gaunce, Choinard, Macias. No room for Preissing, good move by the Sherminator.

There is a plan in place, we only know what it is after the moves are made.

niwotsblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:56 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwotsblessing View Post
LEM defense: Shattenkirk, Cohen, Holos, Gaunce, Choinard, Macias. No room for Preissing, good move by the Sherminator.

There is a plan in place, we only know what it is after the moves are made.
Montgomery will be in the mix too.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Foppa2118

Clearly penny pinching Stan at it again, if this is true. He saves $916,667, but he also gives the Avs an unnecessary $916,667 cap hit in 11/12.

Despite the few that called for a buyout here, Kroenke is the only one that benefits from it. It serves no other purpose.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:14 PM
StanGetz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Clearly penny pinching Stan at it again, if this is true. He saves $916,667, but he also gives the Avs an unnecessary $916,667 cap hit in 11/12.

Despite the few that called for a buyout here, Kroenke is the only one that benefits from it. It serves no other purpose.
Even if it was for Stan, so what?

Maybe it wasn't Stan's idea. Maybe it was a courtesy to Priessing so he could go elsewhere, or head to Europe. We really don't know the situation.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:20 PM
NHL33*

Quote:

Makes room in the AHL for a prospect who deserves to play. Sorry but this definitely makes sense and serves a purpose beyond Kroenke's wallet. You can knock on Kroenke for the lack of development camp though.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:33 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:

I doubt the Avs would spend right up to the cap in the next 2 years anyways. It's after that where Dutchy and Radar need extensions, and by that time Preissing's cap hit will be gone.

Plus, don't the Avs have the option paying the full 2/3 in one year, instead of splitting it over 2 years? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I heard that somewhere.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Adama0905

Quote:

So what? We can definitely afford the small cap hit for the next two years, and why would we want a player that is basically just a weight of crap in the system?

And people seem to think that just because he's a billionaire or whatever he is, that a million dollars is nothing to him. That he basically wipes his ass with it. Well, in the real world, a million dollars is still a lot. It's understandable that when the GM or the President or whatever tells him that Preissing is worthless, he won't want him on the team just sucking up his money, because no matter what he has to pay it.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:55 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
Of course, cap hits don't matter when you don't plan to spend that much money on this team anyway (which actually supports your point).

And I don't follow the Nuggets situation (so someone can correct me if this is wrong), but I'm pretty sure I heard recently that not only are the Nuggets allowed to spend to the cap, but they're actually well over the cap, with a luxury tax added on. Is this true? So the Avs are not even approaching the cap, but the Nuggets are millions over it, and Stan is even forking over luxury tax money to allow the Nuggets to be millions over it?

Great.

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:05 PM
StanGetz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHockeyFan View Post
Of course, cap hits don't matter when you don't plan to spend that much money on this team anyway (which actually supports your point).

And I don't follow the Nuggets situation (so someone can correct me if this is wrong), but I'm pretty sure I heard recently that not only are the Nuggets allowed to spend to the cap, but they're actually well over the cap, with a luxury tax added on. Is this true? So the Avs are not even approaching the cap, but the Nuggets are millions over it, and Stan is even forking over luxury tax money to allow the Nuggets to be millions over it?

Great.

I'm pretty sure Stan has been paying a luxury tax on the Nuggs for several years. He also spends millions and millions of dollars every year with Arsenal. He spends millions more on the STL Rams.

The Avs could spend to the cap, if they thought it would bring a championship back here. The fact is, salary doesn't equate to quality, so until the right expensive pieces come along, there's not any reason to shell it out.

When the time comes for us to spend some real money, I'm sure we'll be allowed to do it.

Old
06-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGetz View Post
Even if it was for Stan, so what?

Maybe it wasn't Stan's idea. Maybe it was a courtesy to Priessing so he could go elsewhere, or head to Europe. We really don't know the situation.
What do you mean so what? Are you a relative of his or something? Teams don't offer that kind of courtesy to a player they've had for one year, at a nearly $1 M cap hit. If he wanted to play in Europe he could have done so without being bought out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
Makes room in the AHL for a prospect who deserves to play. Sorry but this definitely makes sense and serves a purpose beyond Kroenke's wallet. You can knock on Kroenke for the lack of development camp though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
So what? We can definitely afford the small cap hit for the next two years, and why would we want a player that is basically just a weight of crap in the system?

And people seem to think that just because he's a billionaire or whatever he is, that a million dollars is nothing to him. That he basically wipes his ass with it. Well, in the real world, a million dollars is still a lot. It's understandable that when the GM or the President or whatever tells him that Preissing is worthless, he won't want him on the team just sucking up his money, because no matter what he has to pay it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I doubt the Avs would spend right up to the cap in the next 2 years anyways. It's after that where Dutchy and Radar need extensions, and by that time Preissing's cap hit will be gone.

Plus, don't the Avs have the option paying the full 2/3 in one year, instead of splitting it over 2 years? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I heard that somewhere.
I'm sorry but you guys are having a lot of trouble looking past this summer. No one has any idea, including Sherman, where the Avs are going to be cap wise in 2011-12. They don't know what kind of seasons their players will have this year, or how much they'll have to pay to keep their RFA's and UFA's. They don't know if they'll find an opportunity, or see fit to add a big salaried player this year, or in the off season. It's simply not prudent for the Avs to add nearly a $1 M, when they don't have to. They simply don't know if they'll need it.

The young defenseman in Erie aren't a problem either. They have Shattenkirk, Cohen, Gaunce, Holos, and possibly Chouinard in the top five. Montgomery and Preissing would be the #6 and #7. At worst one of the other D, or even Preissing could have been sent to the ECHL. It happens all the time when there isn't room.

It simply benefits no one except Kroenke, and I don't want to hear about a million is a million either. They should have, and probably did consider this when they took Preissing in the Smyth deal, when he was playing in Manchester with the Kings. Which again was Kroenke's call.

Old
06-30-2010, 08:32 PM
StanGetz*

I just don't see what the big deal is Foppa. If Stan wanted to save a a few hundred thousand bucks, why should we care at all? That's his right. It's his money.

If somehow next summer we spend all the $15m or w/e in cap space I'd be pretty shocked. I don't see the issue, I apologize.

Old
06-30-2010, 08:56 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
The Avs could spend to the cap, if they thought it would bring a championship back here. The fact is, salary doesn't equate to quality, so until the right expensive pieces come along, there's not any reason to shell it out.
It sure can help, though, can't it? Would you rather see this team with a couple of nice additions on the blue line (like Martin and Michalek) or without them?

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:12 PM
StanGetz*

Quote:
It sure can help, though, can't it? Would you rather see this team with a couple of nice additions on the blue line (like Martin and Michalek) or without them?
I've been behind the in-house rebuild for a long time now. I know it's not the only thing that's needed to win a championship, but I want to see what these kids can do with a few seasons under their belt.

Signing Martin or whatever will not bring the Cup here next year, and I'd rather just wait before we go shopping. I don't want to end up like the Rangers who can't do anything right.

This is all just personal opinion though. I know others will probably disagree, I just don't want to sign players just because we can. And as I said before, I don't think any of the FA defenseman will put us over the top. Some solid choices for sure, but not the 'BOOM-POW' type of guys, if that euphemism makes sense.

Old
06-30-2010, 09:33 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
900K is not going to be the difference between us signing a Martin or a Michalek or not.

If the Avs WANT to, they have the cap space to add some big pieces, whether or not Preissings 900K is on the books or not. It's just that the front office believes they should continue to rebuild internally for now (which I think by in large is a good idea).

As I said before, Dutchy and O'Reilly's contracts are due AFTER Preissings buyout is over, so it's really a non issue IMO.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Starrlinx

Quote:
I've been behind the in-house rebuild for a long time now. I know it's not the only thing that's needed to win a championship, but I want to see what these kids can do with a few seasons under their belt.
I fail to see how making one or two additions is going to hurt any of our young players development. You don't not attempt to improve your team because you have a few prospects who you feel good about that might or might not become good players. If they're good enough they'll show it and push others out of the way. You know what team also felt good about their young players after a playoff run and didn't make any key additions this time last year? Columbus...that turned out real well for them didn't it?

Quote:
Signing Martin or whatever will not bring the Cup here next year, and I'd rather just wait before we go shopping. I don't want to end up like the Rangers who can't do anything right.
Darn! I already had the parade planned and everything

The Rangers comparison is laughable. They have made the same mistake year after year. That is why they are a mess. No one is saying go give a Brian Campbell or Scott Gomez type contract. But if they can sign a guy or two to a fair contract that will improve the team then they should do it. Martin or whoever is not going to make the Avs a Cup contender overnight. But they would go a long way to making the defense a little more respectable. Isn't that a good thing? Or are you content watching the freak show that was on the blue line again? For as much as everyone wants to see our young defensemen they are most likely another year or so away before they make it to Denver so I would like to see the Avs make a move that will help the team NOW.

Quote:
This is all just personal opinion though. I know others will probably disagree, I just don't want to sign players just because we can. And as I said before, I don't think any of the FA defenseman will put us over the top. Some solid choices for sure, but not the 'BOOM-POW' type of guys, if that euphemism makes sense.
Difference between signing 'just to sign' and signing guys that will improve the team. Few are saying anyone we sign would put us over the top. Improve the depth? Certainly. And from where I sit I don't think there are a lot of 'BOOM-POW' type free agents in most years. Teams are locking those guys up before they get to July 1st.

Starrlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:50 PM
StanGetz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrlinx View Post
I fail to see how making one or two additions is going to hurt any of our young players development. You don't not attempt to improve your team because you have a few prospects who you feel good about that might or might not become good players. If they're good enough they'll show it and push others out of the way. You know what team also felt good about their young players after a playoff run and didn't make any key additions this time last year? Columbus...that turned out real well for them didn't it?
I never said it would hurt anyone's development, I just want to make sure we know what we have, so that we know what we really need.
Quote:
Darn! I already had the parade planned and everything

The Rangers comparison is laughable. They have made the same mistake year after year. That is why they are a mess. No one is saying go give a Brian Campbell or Scott Gomez type contract. But if they can sign a guy or two to a fair contract that will improve the team then they should do it. Martin or whoever is not going to make the Avs a Cup contender overnight. But they would go a long way to making the defense a little more respectable. Isn't that a good thing? Or are you content watching the freak show that was on the blue line again? For as much as everyone wants to see our young defensemen they are most likely another year or so away before they make it to Denver so I would like to see the Avs make a move that will help the team NOW.
No need to be a smart ass, I'm just presenting my personal opinion. It doesn't mean I'm right.

Quote:
Difference between signing 'just to sign' and signing guys that will improve the team. Few are saying anyone we sign would but us over the top. Improve the depth? Certainly. And from where I sit I don't think there are a lot of 'BOOM-POW' type free agents in most years. Teams are locking those guys up before they get to July 1st.
I feel like offering a guy $5 million or more he better be a number 1 or 2 guy, not just there to add depth. That's all.

Old
06-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Starrlinx

I wasn't trying to a smart ass, was just debating a few of your points.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion

Starrlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:07 PM
StanGetz*

That's cool, and I understand where you're coming from completely.

I've just embraced the rebuild, and despite our surprising year last year, I have no expectations for this team. I don't even know if we'll make the playoffs again, and really I don't care at this moment in time. I just don't see the pieces in FA to help us contend, especially now with all the great players signing before they become FAs, as you mentioned. If we want those ace players, we're probably going to have to draft and develop them ourselves, aside from Kovalchuck, who I really don't care for.

You have a fair opinion though, and it's realistic, no question. I would just prefer we stay on course for a little while, which again, may not be the right thing at all. I really don't know, that's why I'm not a GM.

Old
06-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
I just don't see what the big deal is Foppa. If Stan wanted to save a a few hundred thousand bucks, why should we care at all? That's his right. It's his money.

If somehow next summer we spend all the $15m or w/e in cap space I'd be pretty shocked. I don't see the issue, I apologize.
It's not a huge deal, and they very likely could have a fair amount of cap space in 11-12. The idea is that they don't know for sure, and it's possible the nearly $1 M could have negative consequences. Of course it's his right, but I don't see why anyone would defend it as such at the possible expense of the team.

We still have to wait to see if it even happens though I guess. All the signs are there, but stranger things have happened.

Old
06-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
I've just embraced the rebuild, and despite our surprising year last year, I have no expectations for this team. I don't even know if we'll make the playoffs again, and really I don't care at this moment in time. I just don't see the pieces in FA to help us contend, especially now with all the great players signing before they become FAs, as you mentioned. If we want those ace players, we're probably going to have to draft and develop them ourselves, aside from Kovalchuck, who I really don't care for.
I accept what you said as 100% reality - I have since about 3/4 of the way through last season...but man do I have my reservations about this strategy....Did we ever have a field of prospects in the last 5 years that have rated in the top 10 as an organization? We're rebuilding and sticking with all these young guys...sure......but no offense to Chris Stewart and some others....This collective group that's hitting the ice and we're building around isn't exactly a top-tier prospect collection.......The St Louis's, LA Kings, Boston Bruins, and more teams I'm sure I can't even think of right now have FAR better prospect pools to draw from. There's going to have to be players acquired from other teams to supplement these guys....I don't think we have the kind of "top shelf prospects" to compete with these other clubs that have been collecting them for years. Sure we had a good draft...but some of these competing clubs have had 2-5 years of them........This whole theory of rebuilding with what we've got will put an immense amount of pressure on Stastny and especially Duchene to perform and even perhaps outperform what they are capable of.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:20 PM
jaisen73

I am confident the Avs will be players tomorrow. Not big time players but I don't think Sherman is going to stand still. They may preach "build from within" but, at the same time, the expectation among the fan base in Denver is to push for the post-season and improve from last year.

I think with the right signings -- and they don't have to be superstars -- the Avs can compete for the Division. Free agents and building from within are not mutually exclusive. Sign guys that you think are the right players both on and off the ice. The young guys need mentors with NHL experience. Say what you will about Tucker's stats but Ryan O'Reilly is a better player for having lived with him and played with him.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:27 PM
StanGetz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishonHishoff View Post
I accept what you said as 100% reality - I have since about 3/4 of the way through last season...but man do I have my reservations about this strategy....Did we ever have a field of prospects in the last 5 years that have rated in the top 10 as an organization? We're rebuilding and sticking with all these young guys...sure......but no offense to Chris Stewart and some others....This collective group that's hitting the ice and we're building around isn't exactly a top-tier prospect collection.......The St Louis's, LA Kings, Boston Bruins, and more teams I'm sure I can't even think of right now have FAR better prospect pools to draw from. There's going to have to be players acquired from other teams to supplement these guys....I don't think we have the kind of "top shelf prospects" to compete with these other clubs that have been collecting them for years. Sure we had a good draft...but some of these competing clubs have had 2-5 years of them........This whole theory of rebuilding with what we've got will put an immense amount of pressure on Stastny and especially Duchene to perform and even perhaps outperform what they are capable of.
It's a risk, that's for sure. And trust me, I'm not an idiot, as much as I wish I knew everything, I don't. It's just hard to judge your talent level with young kids after one season.

What if Stewart develops into a 40-50 guy? What if Shatty's defensive games comes full circle at the pro level and he becomes a top paring guy? What if Duchene becomes a perennial 100pt getter? What if Holos turns out to be the next Doughty?

I know these aren't realistic scenarios, but if you drop a ton of money on FAs, you risk losing these guys down the road. Really I just want to see this if this crop from like 2007-2009 has what it takes at this level. I don't expect championships, or anything like that. Like I said before, there's a good chance we don't even make the playoffs next season. Point is, I want to watch these guys grow, whether or not that's the right way to go isn't up to me. We had our 'big name' superstar fun for over a decade, and it's just not realistic anymore, sadly.

Sorry if this post makes no sense. I've been making friends with the wine cellar.

Old
07-01-2010, 01:54 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
It's a risk, that's for sure. And trust me, I'm not an idiot, as much as I wish I knew everything, I don't. It's just hard to judge your talent level with young kids after one season.

What if Stewart develops into a 40-50 guy? What if Shatty's defensive games comes full circle at the pro level and he becomes a top paring guy? What if Duchene becomes a perennial 100pt getter? What if Holos turns out to be the next Doughty?

I know these aren't realistic scenarios, but if you drop a ton of money on FAs, you risk losing these guys down the road. Really I just want to see this if this crop from like 2007-2009 has what it takes at this level. I don't expect championships, or anything like that. Like I said before, there's a good chance we don't even make the playoffs next season. Point is, I want to watch these guys grow, whether or not that's the right way to go isn't up to me. We had our 'big name' superstar fun for over a decade, and it's just not realistic anymore, sadly.

Sorry if this post makes no sense. I've been making friends with the wine cellar.
Haha no problem. Spent too much of the night at the Cheeky Monk myself...

So basically do you see it like this - we give these kids a shot for 2-3 years and if they flop, we get top draft picks? If they don't flop, we add pieces later on? The only concern I've got is with the new CBA there's a lot of teams holding on to their young guys for dear life. Check out the next 2-3 years of free agency and it's absolutely littered with old guys. The young guys of this UFA period are all going to sign for long term deals if they're worth anything. It's definitely a weird transition period for the NHL. It's also just miraculous that this team is changing 180 degrees from what their past player developmental program has been. We used to be the biggest trade/UFA culprits in the league, and now we are going to attempt to become experts on developing talent from within almost overnight. It's definitely hard for the fans to swallow I think, and it's going to be interesting to how it all plays out...

...and I'm just babbling

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
It's not a huge deal, and they very likely could have a fair amount of cap space in 11-12. The idea is that they don't know for sure, and it's possible the nearly $1 M could have negative consequences. Of course it's his right, but I don't see why anyone would defend it as such at the possible expense of the team.

We still have to wait to see if it even happens though I guess. All the signs are there, but stranger things have happened.
Sorry, but we're not going to be so close to the cap next season that 1 million is going to matter. Even if it was plausible, it wouldn't happen because Stan wouldn't let it happen. So you kinda got nothing to stand on here.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote