HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re: Waiver Draft

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 03:37 PM
Niedermayer21

vCash: 500
Re: Waiver Draft

Does anyone know the deadline for submission of list of protected players? Also, who is exempt, aside from the obvious players (i.e., rookies, etc.)?

Does anyone have some idea of what our list might look like?

Draft is on Friday. Thanks a lot!!!

Old
09-30-2003, 03:45 PM
NJDraft

I think they had to have the list in today. It's pretty obvious they are going to have to protect Giroux.

Old
09-30-2003, 03:48 PM
tmg

A good thread about it and its impact on the Devils is here:
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=7303

This thread was active before the Larionov signing, though, so that moves one more player to the bubble. I expect it'll be Bicek.

18 skaters + 2 goalies can be protected, and rookies and low-pro-experience players are exempt. Clemmenson will be available, though (unless Lou's ready to promote him and see if anyone takes Schwab).

My updated best-guess protected list:

1. Elias
2. Gomez
3. Marshall
4. Friesen
5. Langenbrunner
6. Pandolfo
7. Madden
8. Stevenson
9. Brylin
10. Gionta
11. Stevens
12. Neidermayer
13. White
14. Rafalski
15. Larionov
16. Rasmussen
17. Rupp
18. Giroux
19. Brodeur
20. Schwab

This would mean exposing Bicek and Brown. The rest of the availables will be Guolla or worse - basically, many of the older AHLers. But I don't know about Stevenson - has his likelihood of making the team dropped of late?

Oh, and here's the schedule of relevant dates and times:
September 30, 2003 -- Trade deadline at 2 p.m. ET -- in effect through completion of NHL Waiver Draft
October 1, 2003 -- Protected and available lists for NHL Waiver Draft released to media at 4 p.m. ET
October 3, 2003 -- NHL Waiver Draft

Old
09-30-2003, 06:40 PM
Niedermayer21

Thanks a lot, tmg. Good job!

I wouldn't protect Turner Stevenson or Igor Larionov. I doubt anyone would take either. If they did, we could take someone off of their roster who would probably be just as good.

I hope we don't lose Scott Clemmensen for nothing. I am sure that Clemmensen and Stevenson could be packaged for a pick, possibly a second-rounder!

tmg, take out Stevenson and Larionov and insert Jiri Bicek and Sean Brown. If Lou feels that Balmochnykh will be taken, I would seriously think about leaving Bicek or Brown unprotected. I hope we'll sign Tommy Albelin after the Draft so that Hale and Martin can take their time getting their feet wet in the AHL.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:49 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedermayer27
Thanks a lot, tmg. Good job!

I wouldn't protect Turner Stevenson or Igor Larionov. I doubt anyone would take either. If they did, we could take someone off of their roster who would probably be just as good.
I understand your reasoning, but I think we have to protect Larionov. Larionov signed with us because he wants one last shot at winning the cup and Detroit didn't seem to want him anymore. Now if we put him on waivers, a young team that is looking for a vet to help with player development could scoop him up. I could definatly see Atlanta doing something like this, could you imagine Larionov centering Ilya Kovalchuk on the 2nd line?

While it would be great for the Thrashers, it would be completely unfair to Larionov, who would lose his shot at the cup. I feel that he signed with us in good faith, and we have to recipricate by not dangling him to 29 other teams, any number of which could use a smart, shifty, relatively cheap veteran, who's only under contract for 1 year.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Niedermayer21

Good point, Blackjack. However, if Larionov is selected, I'm sure we could get him back for a pick. Since Igor and Turner Stevenson have been injured for most of training camp, I think that teams will pass on them. If we couldn't get Igor back, he would probably retire.

Old
09-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Tao Jones

I believe Rupp at age 23, with 30 games played in 1 season is exempt. That opens a spot to protect Brown.
Bicek is age 24, with 55 games played over 3 seasons is not exempt.
Berglund is exempt at age 23, 53 games played over 2 seasons.

Unprotected River Rats:

Andrews
Balmochnykh(age 24, 6 GP in '99-'00 w/Anaheim)
Brooks
Clemmensen
Crozier
Darby
Guolla
Hulbig
Kariya(age 25, 65 GP w/Vancouver)
Matteucci
Roche
Skrlac

Old
10-01-2003, 02:27 AM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones
I believe Rupp at age 23, with 30 games played in 1 season is exempt.
He's available under the "3 years from signing" clause for a 23-year-old.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:47 AM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

from today's star ledger
http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/inde...5062153510.xml

# Goalies protected: Martin Brodeur, Corey Schwab.

# Skaters protected: Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski, Colin White, Jeff Friesen, Jay Pandolfo, Sergei Brylin, Patrik Elias, Scott Gomez, John Madden, Brian Gionta, Jamie Langenbrunner, Grant Marshall, Turner Stevenson, Erik Rasmussen, Sean Brown and either Ray Giroux, Jiri Bicek or Igor Larionov. One of the last three will likely be unprotected.

Neither Mike Rupp nor Christian Berglund must be protected.

Old
10-01-2003, 08:00 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsgirl
from today's star ledger
http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/inde...5062153510.xml

# Goalies protected: Martin Brodeur, Corey Schwab.

# Skaters protected: Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski, Colin White, Jeff Friesen, Jay Pandolfo, Sergei Brylin, Patrik Elias, Scott Gomez, John Madden, Brian Gionta, Jamie Langenbrunner, Grant Marshall, Turner Stevenson, Erik Rasmussen, Sean Brown and either Ray Giroux, Jiri Bicek or Igor Larionov. One of the last three will likely be unprotected.

Neither Mike Rupp nor Christian Berglund must be protected.
I believe Jiri Bicek will be the odd man out this time after watching last nights game seeing him still struggling with consistency. He has the speed and he has a decent shot, but he still needs a kick in the pants from a linemate to challenge him to step it up the way Berglund and Rupp have. Much like Jeff Friesen last season, Jiri Bicek needs to use his acceleration way more to his advantage.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:54 AM
tmg

Sorry 'bout the Rupp thing ; I was misinformed.

Anyways, the real list has been published. The main NHL board has it. If I weren't having mouse difficulty right now (no working mouse, using MouseKeys) I'd cut and paste the contents here. Instead, I just provide a link.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=15869

On the protected list : Scott Cameron. (?)

On the exposed list: Bicek and Giroux

Old
10-01-2003, 12:07 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Gotta love that Dmitri Kvartalnov has been on the Bruins unprotected list since '93-'94.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:09 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
Sorry 'bout the Rupp thing ; I was misinformed.

Anyways, the real list has been published. The main NHL board has it. If I weren't having mouse difficulty right now (no working mouse, using MouseKeys) I'd cut and paste the contents here. Instead, I just provide a link.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=15869

On the protected list : Scott Cameron. (?)

On the exposed list: Bicek and Giroux
I'm going to need heavy sedation if we lose Ray Giroux.

Closed Thread