HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maxim Afinogenov to the Avs...

Old
06-30-2010, 11:48 PM
avs1986

vCash: 500
Maxim Afinogenov to the Avs...

what does everyone think about signing the Russian speed merchant? He's coming off a pretty good season, and i think he would fit in with our system, considering we are probably the fastest team in the league. I know we don't have any other Russians which might be a problem, but i would really be interested to see this. And i would finally get to see a Bure clone(well version 1.5) on our team...what do you guys think?

avs1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:53 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
He's a person I could see being a healthy scratch numerous times if Colorado gets him. He's basically the same thing Svatos is, except is still scoring at a good rate.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:16 AM
the_fan

The avs made their biggest signing couple of days ago when they pulled the trigger on a blockbuster and got Winik.

It's going to be a boring off season being a avs fan, the good old exciting days are gone sadly.

the_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:19 AM
StanGetz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
The avs made their biggest signing couple of days ago when they pulled the trigger on a blockbuster and got Winik.

It's going to be a boring off season being a avs fan, the good old exciting days are gone sadly.
I know we disagree on just about everything, but do you not feel at all like embracing the new direction of the team? It was awesome spending $100mil a year back in the day, those were great times. But it's a different league now, and for better or worse we have to deal with it.

Even though I'm sad there aren't anymore Forsbergs, Roys, or Sakics on the team anymore, I'm really excited to see how our 20 year old core can grow over the next several seasons.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:34 AM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGetz View Post
I know we disagree on just about everything, but do you not feel at all like embracing the new direction of the team? It was awesome spending $100mil a year back in the day, those were great times. But it's a different league now, and for better or worse we have to deal with it.

Even though I'm sad there aren't anymore Forsbergs, Roys, or Sakics on the team anymore, I'm really excited to see how our 20 year old core can grow over the next several seasons.
I'm all for winning, and i would want nothing more than to see the avs on top again. I'm just not all that optimistic like most of you on here thinking that a team without any top notch forwards, and top notch dmen can win.

Maybe this whole rebuilding process is going bit too slow for me, and i just want the 2001 to repeat soon, but come on we all know that a winning team is built with impact players.

Eventually we are going to see some big name signings for the avs, if not this year, then perhaps next year or year after that, but it bound to happen

Old
07-01-2010, 12:47 AM
StanGetz*

Quote:
I'm all for winning, and i would want nothing more than to see the avs on top again. I'm just not all that optimistic like most of you on here thinking that a team without any top notch forwards, and top notch dmen can win.

Maybe this whole rebuilding process is going bit too slow for me, and i just want the 2001 to repeat soon, but come on we all know that a winning team is built with impact players.

Eventually we are going to see some big name signings for the avs, if not this year, then perhaps next year or year after that, but it bound to happen
Do you not have any faith in our guys like dutch, stew or mueller to develop into top notch guys? I know right now they aren't big name aces, but you never know. Eveyone is a prospect at one point of their career. Not eveyone can put it together as quickly as kovy did either. Just food for thought

Old
07-01-2010, 01:05 AM
the_fan

Quote:
Do you not have any faith in our guys like dutch, stew or mueller to develop into top notch guys? I know right now they aren't big name aces, but you never know. Eveyone is a prospect at one point of their career. Not eveyone can put it together as quickly as kovy did either. Just food for thought
I've always said that i think Stastny and Duchene are very good young players and they could or i should say will even get better, but i think that the supporting cast around them isn't enough. And also the injuries with the avs top 6 forwards in recent years worries me. They seem to get hurt in the least appropriate time in the last couple of seasons.

So my opinion is that Stastny and Duchene are going to need some help on their wings, better talent and less injury prone wingers.

I'm not even going to start with how they lack solid Dmen, kind that you need to win in the NHL.

Old
07-01-2010, 01:13 AM
StanGetz*

Quote:
I've always said that i think Stastny and Duchene are very good young players and they could or i should say will even get better, but i think that the supporting cast around them isn't enough. And also the injuries with the avs top 6 forwards in recent years worries me. They seem to get hurt in the least appropriate time in the last couple of seasons.

So my opinion is that Stastny and Duchene are going to need some help on their wings, better talent and less injury prone wingers.

I'm not even going to start with how they lack solid Dmen, kind that you need to win in the NHL.
That's cool, we all have different feelings about where the team should go. One thing every avs fan can agree on is we need help on the blueline. Sadly top pairing guys rarely show up on the market. That will have to come from within, or via a big trade.

I'm done being redundant for tonight tho

Old
07-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Pure

vCash: 665
A billion times no.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 04:10 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
He is the same type of player as Wolski. I think he is a poor fit for us.

Not that I think that is automatically a good thing. Even on a strict team, there should be room for one guy like that if he isn't a bad locker room guy. Adding unpredictability and speed could help. But that's a moot point. Avs are most likely not going to try to sign him or anyone like him.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Adama0905

Quote:

Yep, you're right. We are going to. Eventually

Just like eventually we got Roy, and Bourque and Blake. But we didn't get those names until we were sure we had a championship caliber team. The management back in the glory days did the exact same thing we're doing right now: they waited until they knew what sort of players they had in their own system, and didn't pull the trigger on anything until they knew what they had in their own house.

When a lot of your players haven't even been through two full seasons in a role, it's just stupid to clean house and bring in UFA's. There is nothing more retarded. Especially when those players show that they can do something great in a team role, it's just stupid.

You'll get your marquee FAs, just not yet, and definitely none in an offensive role yet. The most I would expect at all is a FA defenseman or two, and that's a fantastic thing.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Seaward*

Quote:
So far from the truth....

You think Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby... were just prospects and not game changers at a young age??

There is a difference between a prospect and an impact player. This team has none of the latter. None of Dutch, Stew or Mueller will ever be elite players in the NHL.

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Yep, you're right. We are going to. Eventually

Just like eventually we got Roy, and Bourque and Blake. But we didn't get those names until we were sure we had a championship caliber team. The management back in the glory days did the exact same thing we're doing right now: they waited until they knew what sort of players they had in their own system, and didn't pull the trigger on anything until they knew what they had in their own house.

When a lot of your players haven't even been through two full seasons in a role, it's just stupid to clean house and bring in UFA's. There is nothing more retarded. Especially when those players show that they can do something great in a team role, it's just stupid.

You'll get your marquee FAs, just not yet, and definitely none in an offensive role yet. The most I would expect at all is a FA defenseman or two, and that's a fantastic thing.
I did not know we drafted Forsberg, Lemieux, Kominsky. Interesting.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamSoda View Post

You think Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby... were just prospects and not game changers at a young age??

There is a difference between a prospect and an impact player. This team has none of the latter. None of Dutch, Stew or Mueller will ever be elite players in the NHL.
So 29 teams don't either? Duchene easily could have gone 1st his draft year(TSN even did a redo and had him going 1) and he can easily develop into a 90-100 point 2-way player. If thats not elite then well I'm not sure what is.

Christian Litscher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:24 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
He's a person I could see being a healthy scratch numerous times if Colorado gets him. He's basically the same thing Svatos is, except
...he can skate about 3,475,968,363,484 times better than Svatos.

He's Russian though. Colorado doesn't generally ice Russian skaters.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
A few seasons ago , there wasnt a rumour that PL had a huge crush on Afinogenov ?? Of course time went by a little since then , but i'm sure a heard something like that once .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:41 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:

What is your definition of an 'elite player in the NHL'? Can you give, say, 10 examples? We can just stick with forwards if you'd like, since that's the subject matter at hand.

Thx,

-AB

Old
07-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
What is your definition of an 'elite player in the NHL'? Can you give, say, 10 examples? We can just stick with forwards if you'd like, since that's the subject matter at hand.

Thx,

-AB
Sure

Here is my list of elite playes in the NHL:

Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, H. Sedin, Kovalchuk, Kane, Gaborik, Backstrom, Thornton

These are just current players NHLers.

Old
07-01-2010, 11:22 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Sure

Here is my list of elite playes in the NHL:

Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, H. Sedin, Kovalchuk, Kane, Gaborik, Backstrom, Thornton

These are just current players NHLers.
OK, that's 7 teams (assuming Kovalchuk doesn't sign with a team having one of those players on it) who house at least one of these elite players. Is it your position that the other 23 teams have no chance to compete for the cup, given they don't have one of these elite players?

-AB

Old
07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
OK, that's 7 teams (assuming Kovalchuk doesn't sign with a team having one of those players on it) who house at least one of these elite players. Is it your position that the other 23 teams have no chance to compete for the cup, given they don't have one of these elite players?

-AB
No, other teams can still get the job done if they have enough other stars. Teams like Detroit or teams with good enough goaltending and defense.

Old
07-01-2010, 12:27 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:

Duchene was regarded by many as a can't miss player who could've easily gone No. 1 overall.

Sorry... but to say he will never be an elite player is flat out wrong.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:31 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
He is the same type of player as Wolski. I think he is a poor fit for us.

Not that I think that is automatically a good thing. Even on a strict team, there should be room for one guy like that if he isn't a bad locker room guy. Adding unpredictability and speed could help. But that's a moot point. Avs are most likely not going to try to sign him or anyone like him.
If he is under the category of "floater" then there is no way he will be on the Avs.

You will be a target of the Avs if you have these characteristics:
- Hard worker
- High character/leader
- young
- hungry

Wolski, Svatos... don't fit in with the team anymore, you are correct. Sacco & Co. have a identity for this team and I expect them to stay on course.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote