HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2 UFAs to make us a contender

Old
06-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Drij

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMUCHBREWER View Post
Guys lets get one thing straight. Shattenkirk is no Cody Hodgson. He isnt NHL ready enough to play NHL minutes for an NHL ready contending team in the National Hockey League. While some NHL teams might trade their top guy to make room for an NHL ready player like the NHL's Cody Hodgson, Shattenkirk needs to prove he is NHL ready before the Avs trade an NHL defenseman.
Cody Hodgson isn't even healthy enough to play in the NHL.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:25 PM
SuperJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
No way this happens.

We will have 6 PROVEN NHL Dmen already on the roster when free agency opens up. There is no way this team brings in two more, unless they are guaranteeing to move one of them. And that hasn't happened yet, so I wouldn't count on it.

Cumiskey
Foote
Hannan
Liles
Quincey
Wilson

Add to that players like Holos and Shatty who will be trying to make this team, and that's a deep group.

I could see them maybe bringing either a top end guy or a 6th or 7th guy, but not both.
I usually agree with most things you say, but we don't have 6 NHL proven Dmen, ok they have played in the NHL, but being a #6-7 on any team is just being a depth d-man, i'm not sold on Wilson he had some good stretches and had some nice hits but looked very marginal a lot of times, and Cumiskey can skate, but i don't see much else from him, i wouldn't built a top six defense with him, he's good for this year cause he's cheap that's about it. Holos?Come on now, he has a lot to prove, it would be nice if he made it, but he's no top notch d-man prospect, that leaves maybe Shatty and i think he needs at least one year in the AHL. So that being said we need to sign one top pairing d-man ( hopefully Zbynek). Remember we allowed a ton of shots last year and looked horrendous in our own end for long periods of time, we need help and it's not coming internally just yet(d-men take a long time to develop. Just my opinion

SuperJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJoe View Post
I usually agree with most things you say, but we don't have 6 NHL proven Dmen, ok they have played in the NHL, but being a #6-7 on any team is just being a depth d-man, i'm not sold on Wilson he had some good stretches and had some nice hits but looked very marginal a lot of times, and Cumiskey can skate, but i don't see much else from him, i wouldn't built a top six defense with him, he's good for this year cause he's cheap that's about it. Holos?Come on now, he has a lot to prove, it would be nice if he made it, but he's no top notch d-man prospect, that leaves maybe Shatty and i think he needs at least one year in the AHL. So that being said we need to sign one top pairing d-man ( hopefully Zbynek). Remember we allowed a ton of shots last year and looked horrendous in our own end for long periods of time, we need help and it's not coming internally just yet(d-men take a long time to develop. Just my opinion
The REAL issue is that you like many others here, expect to contend for the Stanley Cup next year when in reality, we're still in rebuilding mode. Just takes time.

Do you want the Avs to go through the actual process needed to get back to where they are a contender every year or do you want to be the New York Rangers and just throw tons of cash at free agents every year and get no where? Then, you're stuck. You get these guys on bad contracts with term and you're in salary cap hell.

No thanks. I prefer to be patient and watch these guys develop.

I cannot really understand how you can assess Cumiskey, Wilson and Holos when there isn't one of those guys that's over 23 years old. (if you want to do some fun research, check out where Brian Rafalski was at 23)

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:35 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
The REAL issue is that you like many others here, expect to contend for the Stanley Cup next year when in reality, we're still in rebuilding mode. Just takes time.

Do you want the Avs to go through the actual process needed to get back to where they are a contender every year or do you want to be the New York Rangers and just throw tons of cash at free agents every year and get no where? Then, you're stuck. You get these guys on bad contracts with term and you're in salary cap hell.

I cannot really understand how you can assess Cumiskey, Wilson and Holos when there isn't one of those guys that's over 23 years old. (if you want to do some fun research, check out where Brian Rafalski was at 23)
Hair club for men?
SEL?

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:05 PM
SuperJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post

Dude i have been a hardcore fan of the franchise since the early 80's, i understand the game, by saying we should sign one d-man i am saying we should go for the cup this year? The trick in sport is you try to improve every year, and one thing i know for sure our D sucked hard last year, so yeah one established d-man wouldn't hurt and we have truckloads of cap room and Hannan coming off the books this year and Liles next, this is probably Foote last year. For the young kids to develop you need some experience guys to show them the way. I also don't believe any of Cumiskey, Wilson and Holos will ever be a top 4 d-men in this league, i might be wrong and i hope so for our sake, but i just don't see it.

SuperJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Cody Hodgson isn't even healthy enough to play in the NHL.
The NHL isn't healthy enough to play Cody Hodgson.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Seaward*

Avs will not sign any UFAs this year.

Gotta build from within!!

I mean what is the point of having an exciting team when you can have young players progressing towards a consistent first round playoff loss year after year!!

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamSoda View Post
Avs will not sign any UFAs this year.

Gotta build from within!!

I mean what is the point of having an exciting team when you can have young players progressing towards a consistent first round playoff loss year after year!!
How many playoff rounds has Kovalchuk won?

Old
06-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
How many playoff rounds has Kovalchuk won?
The exact same as Duchene...

You missed my point altogether.
I would rather watch 82 games a year of great hockey than having a team that talent wise will never win a cup, "grow up"

Old
06-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Pure

Quote:
The exact same as Duchene.
Duchene has won two playoff games to Kovalchuk's one.

Old
06-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Fluke

Quote:
The exact same as Duchene.
...With 7 more years of actually being in the NHL. Duchene has even won more playoff games.

Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duch9 View Post
...With 7 more years of actually being in the NHL. Duchene has even won more playoff games.
Zing!

And sorry, but you're likely to not get any more of an exciting team than the Avs. They're run and gun and score a lot of goals, probably more (I'm not checking this cuz I'm too lazy) than any team that Kovalchuk has ever been on. Putting Kovalchuk on the team and making them suck won't make them more exciting so I dunno where you're getting this.

But thank god, Dater reports that the Avs officially will not make an offer to Kovy.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:29 PM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Part of the excitement of a rebuilding plan is watching these players grow. Bringing Kovy in would have seriously harmed the development of some of our guys as he'd be getting the top PP minutes as well as a guaranteed spot on the first line (and rightly so). I actually like Kovy and people tend to forget how good he's been on an international level as well as a leader (getting Geno and Ovie back on talking terms) but he's not right for us right now.

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:07 PM
FreshFitted67

You'll still be able to watch lots of exciting hockey and player development if the avs sign a couple good UFAs.

You cannot simply wait... and your team will be magically good later on down the road.

Adding UFAs is a part of life in the NHL. yes the blackhawks developed some young talented players, but they also added hossa and campbell. The penguins developed lots of talent but they also added Guerin and Gonchar...etc etc etc

One of the keys to being a good gm these days is to find a good balance of young cheap developing players while adding the right (relatively expensive) experienced vets.

its not like once we add a UFA or two (hopefully a good Dman), the young guys will just stop growing n developing...

FreshFitted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:48 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

I would love if we get Michalek or Martin but I think there is a better chance that they will get a 7th D instead.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Seaward*

One of these days, the Avs will have to go out and BUY talent if they actually wish to win a Stanley Cup or get out of the first round. Look at the past, oh, 80 Stanley Cup winning teams and they all have MUCH more talent than this current Avs corps has.

Do you think Chicago wins the Cup with Stas instead of Toews, with Stewart and not Kane?

Face facts people, this current lineup is not good enough, based purely on raw talent, to ever win a Cup.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
One of these days, the Avs will have to go out and BUY talent if they actually wish to win a Stanley Cup or get out of the first round. Look at the past, oh, 80 Stanley Cup winning teams and they all have MUCH more talent than this current Avs corps has.

Do you think Chicago wins the Cup with Stas instead of Toews, with Stewart and not Kane?

Face facts people, this current lineup is not good enough, based purely on raw talent, to ever win a Cup.
Go whine about. I'm sure that'll help your chances of the Avs landing Kovy

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Go whine about. I'm sure that'll help your chances of the Avs landing Kovy
Did I even say Kovy, you just use blind ignorance all the time.

Thanks for commenting on what I ACTUALLY wrote.

Good job with that buddy.

Old
07-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post

But thank god, Dater reports that the Avs officially will not make an offer to Kovy.
Dater reporting that he has been given any idea of what the Avs might do makes you think it's *less* likely to happen?

I mean, I don't think the Avs will try to sign him, but all factors considered, Dater's report doesn't make me think they won't.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:13 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:

Did you know teams can obtain new players through trades?

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Pure

Quote:

Did you know that Chicago's first year with Toews and Kane they didn't even make the playoffs?

Old
07-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMUCHBREWER View Post
Did you know teams can obtain new players through trades?
You mean trade all of our great young talent?!?

Old
07-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
Did you know that Chicago's first year with Toews and Kane they didn't even make the playoffs?
Hey thanks for helping my cause.

What did chicago do after that season? Did they continue to just use homegrown draft talent?

Oh wait, they went out and signed Free Agents!!! Chicago does not win the cup without the help they got in the UFA market. Hossa, Campbell....

Its pretty obvious that a team needs to sign UFA players in order to win yet people here are perfectly content watching this team drop out early each playoff year with this current core team...

Old
07-01-2010, 12:10 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Oh wait, they went out and signed Free Agents!!! Chicago does not win the cup without the help they got in the UFA market. Hossa, Campbell....
Yeah, they combined for four whole goals.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Yeah, they combined for four whole goals.
Wanna go ask any real hockey fan if Chicago wins withouth Hossa?

You are making yourself look pretty bad buddy. You seem to only see the stat sheets so I assume you do not realize the additional presense a player can have besides goals.

Hossa stats during the playoffs:

Goals: 3 Assist: 12 Points: 15 +/-: 7

and oh yeah, that one game winning goal.

Last edited by Seaward*: 07-01-2010 at 12:18 PM.