HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

July 1st Start of Free Agency

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Where'd you get that? I don't see it on his twitter page (http://twitter.com/andystrickland). Sure you don't have a faker? Give us a link.
It's in his column on Eklund's site.

Hard to tell if he's just putting spin on what we already knew about the negotiations or what

Old
07-01-2010, 08:42 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
1. What Are We Waiting For To Bury Reddens Contract?

2. If Gab Gets Injured, Which He Has A Million Times In His Career, Is There Any One On This Team That Would Be A Legit Threat To Put The Puck In The Net?
Reason Number 3987 to sign Kovalchuk... Unless we like Semi-Tanking, which never works because Lundqvist always goes into "Beast-Mode" and is like "AHHHHH IM NOT LOSING GAMES" and then after Gabo goes down we have like a 15 overall or something.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:44 AM
bscharf

redden

It is just disgusting to know that Kovy is expected to get 8 a year. and redden is RIGHT IN THAT BALL PARK at 6.5...

I dont think kovy is the answer for our scoring needs but there are literally no more centers on FA that would be long term help to this team.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:46 AM
bscharf

agreed

Agreed,

Dont get your hopes up.. Every one is saying Kings or KHL... Rangers havent been mentioned in one article.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:47 AM
freewheeler

Free Agent Tracker

What does everyone use as a free-agent tracker? For the trade deadline I found the fourth period to be the best, but they don't seem to have the same rumors page up this year (it was in chat format).

Old
07-01-2010, 08:49 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Agreed,

Dont get your hopes up.. Every one is saying Kings or KHL... Rangers havent been mentioned in one article.
I think major article writers have counted out the Rangers in their head because of the other contracts that we have so they may not mention us for that reason but the Rangers haven't said anything themselves for fear of tampering and a few people have confirmed that the Rangers are atleast looking at him as a possibility.

Kovalchuk to Rangers means Redden to AHL... Addition by subtraction in that regard immediately.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
It is just disgusting to know that Kovy is expected to get 8 a year. and redden is RIGHT IN THAT BALL PARK at 6.5...

I dont think kovy is the answer for our scoring needs but there are literally no more centers on FA that would be long term help to this team.
You dont think one of the most prolific goal scorers of all-time is the answer to our scoring needs?

Old
07-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You dont think one of the most prolific goal scorers of all-time is the answer to our scoring needs?
I don't want Sather to sign Kovalchuk, put you make a valid point. I would amend that comment to 'I don't think signing Kovalchuk gets us any closer to winning the Stanley Cup'.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I don't want Sather to sign Kovalchuk, put you make a valid point. I would amend that comment to 'I don't think signing Kovalchuk gets us any closer to winning the Stanley Cup'.
In the nearterm? No, of course not. But its puts a huge piece in place for when we have serious money coming off the cap and some solid prospects coming up in 2 years or so.

Because I can guarentee one thing...we will never win a Stanley Cup without another forward of Kovalchuk's caliber riding shotgun with Gaborik.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Blueblood 2

Quote:

Well, based on this years playoffs...............just getting in gives you a shot!

Old
07-01-2010, 08:59 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badko View Post
I realize hockey isn't the most popular sport in NY, but you'd think they could at least give it 15 seconds or so. I turned on the news this morning and the sports reporter says today is the the big free agent day...and stupid me is thinking, "Wow...gonna hear some hockey news!". Then they proceed to do 10 minutes on LeBron James, about whom I frankly don't give a damn. It's so frustrating being a big time hockey fan in NY.
Couldn't agree more--all the talk in N.Y is about LeBron LeBron LeBron which we know he is not coming here so maybe Dolan pony's up some of coin he was willing to spend on LeBron and wants to make a splash in FA in hockey and signs Kovy.

8 million for Kovy
6.5 to dump Redden in Hartford(maybe swing a deal with the Russian owner of the Nets to have Redden play in KHL).
Total of 14.5 million which is still cheaper then if they signed LeBron.

Works for most Ranger fans.

Anyway happy July 1st(Fa day--Ranger give away day).

Old
07-01-2010, 09:01 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
I am really worried, we went in to the draft excited and came out baffled and a bit disappointed now free agency is here i hope we dont feel the same after this.

Nothing dumb Glen keep the kids dont overpay thats all we ask
Maybe you came away baffled and disappointed...I didn't...I actually really like our draft...

Old
07-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Because I can guarentee one thing...we will never win a Stanley Cup without another forward of Kovalchuk's caliber riding shotgun with Gaborik.
What are you, Mark Messier?

There is nothing on which to base your guarantee that they cannot possibly win a Stanley Cup without a Kovalchuk.

Old
07-01-2010, 09:03 AM
dtrap

Quote:
WHOA WHOA WHOA.

One of the most prolific scorers of all-time?

When the hell did Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier or Gordie Howe become a free agent...

I get it...Kovy is REALLY good at scoring goals...but this crap of calling him a generational talent and one of the most prolific scorers of all-time needs to stop...

Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin are generational talents...

Old
07-01-2010, 09:04 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
He's not. Offensive success is predicated on entire lines working well together, not 2 lone mercenaries who probably won't be on the same line.

Old
howztheglass

Quote:
Not only would he solve most of our goal scoring--but he would improve the PP and take over as the number 1 player in case god forbid Gaborik goes down.

Kovy is the 1 player the Rangers should sign seeing how they have always giving out hugh contracts on July 1st.

But I still see Kovy going to L.A or St.Louis before N.Y.
Plus a read somewhere this morning Kovy already looking at house in L.A.

Not a good sign Ranger fans.

Old
LamoTheKid

Quote:
He's AN answer to our scoring needs, not THE answer though. We also need secondary scoring.

Old
07-01-2010, 09:05 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by howztheglass View Post
Not only would he solve most of our goal scoring--but he would improve the PP and take over as the number 1 player in case god forbid Gaborik goes down.

Kovy is the 1 player the Rangers should sign seeing how they have always giving out hugh contracts on July 1st.

But I still see Kovy going to L.A or St.Louis before N.Y.
Plus a read somewhere this morning Kovy already looking at house in L.A.

Not a good sign Ranger fans.
Doesn't Gaborik own a house in Vancouver? Look where he plays.

Old
07-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
WHOA WHOA WHOA.

One of the most prolific scorers of all-time?

When the hell did Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier or Gordie Howe become a free agent...

I get it...Kovy is REALLY good at scoring goals...but this crap of calling him a generational talent and one of the most prolific scorers of all-time needs to stop...

Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin are generational talents...
Kovalchuk is on pace to score about 700 goals in his career.

You can make an argument not to sign him, fine, but lets not discredit how dynamic of a player we have there for the taking on the free agent market as of noon today.

Old
07-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Salz

Who do you guys want more to backup Henke- Hedberg or Biron?

Old
07-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
What are you, Mark Messier?

There is nothing on which to base your guarantee that they cannot possibly win a Stanley Cup without a Kovalchuk.
I said Kovalchuk's caliber.

So you can refrain from signing him and hope upon hope that Chris Krieider or Derek Stepan develop into superstars, or we back our way into a top 5 pick that develops in a star...but I'd rather take the sure thing thats there right now.

Old
07-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

I think we sign Foster and Biron today.

Old
07-01-2010, 09:10 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Hedberg because people can chant "Mooooooose" and that's cool. Plus, he's Swedish, he'll probably get along well with Lundqvist.

Old
07-01-2010, 09:12 AM
pwoz

I think Kovy is generational talent... he's also very healthy and a guaranteed 40+ goal scorer... he doesn't need an elite playmaking center... it'd be nice, sure, but this team won't get one any time soon.

Signing Drury and Gomez to their contracts is lunacy.. same with Redden's awful contract.... but Gaborik at 7.5m? Great! Kovy at anything under 8.5? Great!

Old
07-01-2010, 09:12 AM
dtrap

Quote:
Kovalchuk is on pace to score about 700 goals in his career.

You can make an argument not to sign him, fine, but lets not discredit how dynamic of a player we have there for the taking on the free agent market as of noon today.
Yeah and Ken Griffey Jr. was once on pace to hit about 900 homers. If the guy retires with 700 you can call him generational, fantastic, masterbratorial...whatever the hell you want. As of right now he is just a really good offensive player who scores a lot of goals and has never heard of the concept of playing defense.

The fact of the matter is that no matter how many goals he has scored, he has never come close ONCE to winning ANYTHING in the NHL. And that's WITH the likes of Marc Savard and Marian Hossa playing with him. I just don't understand how people think Kovy + Gabby = STANLEY CUP.

Closed Thread