HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings Look Set for a Big Deal

Old
07-01-2010, 04:31 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Kings Look Set for a Big Deal

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,870209.column
Quote:
The Kings are poised to make the biggest splash in the NHL's shallow free-agent pool.

All signs indicate the Kings will lead the pursuit of dynamic left wing Ilya Kovalchuk when the free agency period begins Thursday at 9 a.m. Pacific time. They're among the few teams with enough salary-cap space and resources to afford him and a bright enough future to lure him, though they're hoping he won't try to break the bank.

Kovalchuk, 27, turned down offers of $101 million over 12 years and $70 million over seven years from the Atlanta Thrashers before they traded him to the New Jersey Devils in February. But in a league generally split into big-market teams near the cap and teams that stay near the salary floor for budgetary reasons, there may not be much bidding for the two-time 50-goal scorer.

General Manager Dean Lombardi declined to comment Wednesday on the Kings' plans. However, Tim Leiweke, the Kings' governor and the chief executive of their parent company, AEG, said last week that while he's proud of the Lakers' five titles under the company's banner, winning the Stanley Cup is his ultimate goal.

"The foundation of AEG is the Kings and until we win the Stanley Cup our job is not done," he said. Toward that end, he said, "If the right guy is there next week we're going to fill a hole."

Noting the Kings' improvement they made the playoffs last season for the first time since 2002 and tied a club record with 46 victories he said they're primed to make a significant move.

"We could have added major free agents two years ago and it wouldn't have mattered," Leiweke said. "Now you look at our team and the job Dean has done and there's a lot to get excited about."

The Kings, who are also expected to pursue a top-four defenseman, freed cap space by letting Alexander Frolov go. Frolov's agent, Don Meehan, said Wednesday the Kings hadn't made his client an offer and that Frolov, who made $4 million last season, will become an unrestricted free agent.

The Kings are also expected to let Jeff Halpern, Fredrik Modin and Raitis Ivanans walk away. Lombardi said last week he had talked to defensemen Sean O'Donnell, also about to be an unrestricted free agent, but they hadn't agreed on O'Donnell's playing a reduced role next season. Their plans for Randy Jones are unclear.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 04:44 AM
VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to VEGASKING
"Their plans for Randy Jones are unclear."

Too bad. I was hoping for 18-20 minutes a night out of him.

VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 05:08 AM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

For some reason, the more I read about LA/Kovy, the more I get the feeling we as fans are going to be suprised tomorrow.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:01 AM
kingbrath

Ok..40 threads on one subject...I kept quite...we are NOT getting Kovalchuk...its too obvious....Carter will be a King. He will go to Pitt for 1 yr...my guess...only a couple of hours left....

kingbrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:47 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

I'm too leary as a Kings fan. Signing Kovalchuk would be the biggest thing since Gretzky and that's difficult to imagine.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

If it happens, I want to see the Sports Illustrated cover - "Kobe, meet Kovy" (similar to the Magic Johnson / Gretzky cover in '88)

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:55 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
If it happens, I want to see the Sports Illustrated cover - "Kobe, meet Kovy" (similar to the Magic Johnson / Gretzky cover in '88)

I wouldn't necessarily consider it as big as Gretzky, but it'd be the biggest move since him.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:59 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:

No S.I. jinx please. Thank you!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Youngblood93

Quote:

That would be awesome

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Komarov47

Quote:

I think the only one who could be compared to the impact of Gretzky's coming in L.A is Ovechkin or Crosby, because they are the face of hockey world right now, just like Gretzky was, unlike Kovy who despite being a great hockey player isn't well know of non-hockey fan.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:31 AM
VictoryRose

Ovechkin wouldn't sell tickets in LA on his own, and neither would/will IK.

Crosby, maybe. He's North American and featured in relevant national marketing that hits the area, he has a name that is more regularly recognized by non-hockey fans.

You're living in a hockey bubble if you really think anything except some consistent winning is going to bring casual fans to Staples.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:39 AM
kingbrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post

Crosby, maybe. He's North American and featured in relevant national marketing that hits the area, he has a name that is more regularly recognized by non-hockey fans.

You're living in a hockey bubble if you really think anything except some consistent winning is going to bring casual fans to Staples.
quoted for non-truth...Ovechkin WOULD sell tickets in LA and so would/will Kovalchuk. Its funny how you say consistent winning but yet when obtaining a piece that gives us a chance to "consistantly" win comes around you refute.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:52 AM
VictoryRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrath View Post
quoted for non-truth...Ovechkin WOULD sell tickets in LA and so would/will Kovalchuk. Its funny how you say consistent winning but yet when obtaining a piece that gives us a chance to "consistantly" win comes around you refute.
good god, are you serious? Why would Ovechkin sell tickets to casual fans who have NO ****ING IDEA WHO HE IS.

This is HOCKEY and LOS ANGELES and a RUSSIAN we're talking about. This is not Lebron James to the New York Knicks.

WINNING over the course of a couple of seasons, IK, Ovie, or not, is what will bring casual fans into the fold.

good grief, even timmyL knows this.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
good god, are you serious? Why would Ovechkin sell tickets to casual fans who have NO ****ING IDEA WHO HE IS.

This is HOCKEY and LOS ANGELES and a RUSSIAN we're talking about. This is not Lebron James to the New York Knicks.

WINNING over the course of a couple of seasons, IK, Ovie, or not, is what will bring casual fans into the fold.

Winning is the better way to bring fans in but signing a superstar and then properly marketing him, will bring them in as well.

How the **** is it not 9 yet!?!!?

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:58 AM
kingbrath

Quote:

good god are you serious??? The last time the Kings had a player of Kovalchuks status was Gretzky. Now im not saying that they are one in the same when it comes to the ticket sales but after the year we just had hockey in LA is getting some notice. It is totally naive to think that a natural goal scorer like Kovy wouldnt draw an audience.

Old
07-01-2010, 09:00 AM
VictoryRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post
Winning is the better way to bring fans in
In this market it's the BESTand some might argue, only way, depending on the sport and team.

Quote:
but signing a superstar and then properly marketing him, will bring them in as well.
IK, a Russian (who granted speaks perfect English and is very bright) who prefers his privacy isn't a marketing bonanza unless he's scoring 70 goals a year, breaking records, and basically forces his way into the local media and/or ESPN. Come on guys, I get it that the fans want The Kings to magically become the big game in town because IK dons the Chevy logo, but it ain't happening.

Quote:
How the **** is it not 9 yet!?!!?

it's 9 somewhere !

Old
07-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Kovalchuk and the marketing that he will bring, will sell tickets. Winning will keep the people buying more tickets.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:02 AM
VictoryRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrath View Post
good god are you serious??? The last time the Kings had a player of Kovalchuks status was Gretzky.

Dude

they are not comparable, in any way, shape, or form. Not sure if you we're around hockey or LA at the time, but this is not even remotely CLOSE to the same situation. A large contributing factor in the Gretzky situation (aside from him being, oh, I dont know, THE BEST PLAYER TO EVER PLAY THE GAME) is that he was TRADED by the team he captained and led to multiple cups.

Seriously, take off the ****ing blinders. It isnt even close.

Old
07-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Kingler

I would imagine marketing in this case isn't just here, but also in Russia where Kovalchuk is probably 3rd best player from the country following Ovechkin and Malkin.

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
In this market it's the BESTand some might argue, only way, depending on the sport and team.

IK, a Russian (who granted speaks perfect English and is very bright) who prefers his privacy isn't a marketing bonanza unless he's scoring 70 goals a year, breaking records, and basically forces his way into the local media and/or ESPN. Come on guys, I get it that the fans want The Kings to magically become the big game in town because IK dons the Chevy logo, but it ain't happening.

it's 9 somewhere !
I'm not saying he will have that kind of impact but this town is all about star ****ing and being able to show that we grabbed one will help. Remember the Kopi hype rookie year? People who weren't fans started to hear about him, same thing is possible/likely with Ilya. Whether the Kings are capable of a good marketing campaign is another story altogether.

It's similar to the team itself, all of us nutjobs are the core, Kovy can be used to help fill the rest

I don't think any of us think the Kings would be the biggest draw with Kovy, hell even with Crosby, this will always be the Lakers city.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:18 AM
kingbrath

Quote:
Dude

they are not comparable, in any way, shape, or form. Not sure if you we're around hockey or LA at the time, but this is not even remotely CLOSE to the same situation. A large contributing factor in the Gretzky situation (aside from him being, oh, I dont know, THE BEST PLAYER TO EVER PLAY THE GAME) is that he was TRADED by the team he captained and led to multiple cups.

Seriously, take off the ****ing blinders. It isnt even close.
Im pretty sure we werent talking about the way he was brought in...i realize Gretzky was traded thanks for the refresher. I am just saying that if you think Kovalchuk being on this team ( a playoff team already) wont put ***** in the seats than you r mistaken. I think they are comparable in the sense that we have not since had the ability to put as much stock in one player as we do now, with the supporting cast that we do now.

Old
07-01-2010, 09:21 AM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I'm too leary as a Kings fan. Signing Kovalchuk would be the biggest thing since Gretzky and that's difficult to imagine.
I am with ya buddy!

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:25 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:

I think you are half-correct. Certainly, winning in this city is the Key. But with the ever increasing Russian population of this city, I do believe that Ilya can put some extra fans in the stadium. Seems to me that everytime a big name russian player plays, (and there are only three I can think of) alot of Russian fans come out of the woodwork. Wasnt the Russian Cultural Night the kings had a sell out with tickets being scalped outside going for quite a bit above face value, a rarity for Kings hockey?

Its not going to be like Gretzky, where comp's disappear and ST's sales skyrocket, but you can bet that getting Kovy will boost sales, (both ST's and individual game seats) boost wins, and ultimately boost attendence too. They go hand in hand, and I would bet that is what TL is thinking.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:31 AM
VictoryRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I think you are half-correct. Certainly, winning in this city is the Key. But with the ever increasing Russian population of this city, I do believe that Ilya can put some extra fans in the stadium. Seems to me that everytime a big name russian player plays, (and there are only three I can think of) alot of Russian fans come out of the woodwork. Wasnt the Russian Cultural Night the kings had a sell out with tickets being scalped outside going for quite a bit above face value, a rarity for Kings hockey?

Its not going to be like Gretzky, where promo's disappear and ST's sales skyrocket, but you can bet that getting Kovy will boost sales, boost wins, and ultimately boost attendence too. They go hand in hand, and I would bet that is what TL is thinking.
Come on, what are we gonna get? An extra 25 russians a night, if lucky? Hockey isn't even close to being the biggest sport in Russia, and "basket" is close to taking over, if it hasn't already, and sitting second fiddle to football. I appreciate what you're saying, but the idea that a burgeoning russian community is going to spark a marketing bonanza and ticket sales are going to jump significantly just isnt reality.

The most signing IK would do is get people that might already consider renewing their season tickets or mini plans to maybe commit full steam.

Quote:
a bunch of stuff Kingbrah said
you're not getting it. it isnt comparable because the opportunity to capitalize on a IK or Ovie signing isnt even CLOSE to the one provided to the Kings w/ gretzky. it isnt the same planet, galaxy, or universe. It never will be. Lightning struck that day, it isn't happening again on any comparable level. I wont even buy the "this is the first time since then we've had blah blah blah" argument. This is strictly a team upgrade, if the results are that the team makes it to the second round or beyond, or leads the pacific all season, you might see a bump. A press conference isn't going to cut it. Even if IK cries

Old
07-01-2010, 09:42 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Come on, what are we gonna get? An extra 25 russians a night, if lucky? Hockey isn't even close to being the biggest sport in Russia, and "basket" is close to taking over, if it hasn't already, and sitting second fiddle to football. I appreciate what you're saying, but the idea that a burgeoning russian community is going to spark a marketing bonanza and ticket sales are going to jump significantly just isnt reality.

The most signing IK would do is get people that might already consider renewing their season tickets or mini plans to maybe commit full steam.

you're not getting it. it isnt comparable because the opportunity to capitalize on a IK or Ovie signing isnt even CLOSE to the one provided to the Kings w/ gretzky. it isnt the same planet, galaxy, or universe. It never will be. Lightning struck that day, it isn't happening again on any comparable level. I wont even buy the "this is the first time since then we've had blah blah blah" argument. This is strictly a team upgrade, if the results are that the team makes it to the second round or beyond, or leads the pacific all season, you might see a bump. A press conference isn't going to cut it. Even if IK cries

Kovi is going to do nothing to bring in casual fans. They have no clue who he is, let alone the LA kings. My sister is your typical LA girl; she has lived there for about the last 10 years now. I suggested going to a kings game one night while visiting he direct response was "Who are the the kings".........

She didn't even know LA has a pro hockey team; "But she can tell you who the Green Bay Packers are and what city they are in." I live about 2 hours away in the Central Valley. And just about zero of my friends even remotely care about the kings, they are all shark fans......

Pretty much the only Fans Kovi is going to impress are the Fans already interested with the LA kings.....

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote