HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

July 1st Start of Free Agency

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2010, 09:54 AM
  #101
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I agree. Well put too. With Kovalchuk Torts becomes adequate and place becomes desirable, i.e. others may consider it. I have no doubt Sather realizes that. Yet I am doubtful Kovalchuk will sign here.
Yes, everyone is dying to play with a guy who is the first one out of his own zone, does very little other than score goals, and hasn't won a thing in his life. You know, I get that people have opinions that Kovalchuk's goal scoring solves all of our problems, and as much as I disagree with that, I respect their opinion.

But please don't make things up like stating Kovalchuk would make this a desirable destination for other free agents. That's absurd.

Jersey Girl is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 09:55 AM
  #102
The Perfect Paradox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,503
vCash: 50
Kovalchuk and a back up goalie. Other then that, stay out of the market. Hopefully this day won't be a complete disaster like it has been since the 07 off season....Who am I kidding? Sather is going to find a way to **** this team up further.

The Perfect Paradox is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 09:57 AM
  #103
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Agreed, you dont give a guy the second most money in the league to OV with so many negatives/question marks surrounding his game.
The thing is, like look at the Redden and Gomez signings and compare them to drafting Jessiman.

When people talk about Jessiman there is always "OMG we could have had Parise or Getzlaf", when people talked about Gomez its more like "OMG he aint a great center", but no alternative.

My point is just, we either overpay for Kovalchuk or spend 4m on a Näslund or something like that. Its not like we have a option to pay that 9m to someone who is as good as AO.

Ola is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
  #104
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,094
vCash: 500
Say no to Kovalchuk if you can't also address your needs down the middle and on the back end!

hpNYR is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
  #105
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,501
vCash: 500
I'll take one year of Demitra. To help the kids.

Ola is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 09:59 AM
  #106
nyr2417
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,905
vCash: 500
pay kovy pay kovy pay kovy

nyr2417 is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:00 AM
  #107
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
$14 million with 14 roster players signed. Have to re-sign Staal and Girardi (About $7 million total) and a back-up (About $1 million). If Christiansen and Shelley do not re-sign, figure Weise and Stepan to fill their spots ($1.7 million total). Possibly McD making the squad if he doesn't go back to school (Another $900K). That leaves about $3 million in cap space, with a 20 man roster. If the Rangers waive Redden, they will have almost $10 million in cap space. If they can find a deal where they can trade Brashear and/or Voros out, they could have close to $12 to $13 million.

Gotta watch out for the summer cap of $65 million, though.
First of all, nobody is trading for Brashear. You can cancel that one out.

Your scenario leaves us with a defense of:

Marc Staal
Dan Girardi
Matt Gilroy
Michal Rozsival
Michael del Zotto
Ryan McDonagh, who has yet to even play in the AHL

And no scoring depth whatsoever.

Jersey Girl is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:02 AM
  #108
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I'll take one year of Demitra. To help the kids.
with their homework?

NikC is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:03 AM
  #109
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Following up on Larry Brooks' excellent Rangers update today, if I were a betting man I'd bet on Biron or Nittymaki being a Ranger today
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/17498156804

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:03 AM
  #110
Dredden
JT Miller
 
Dredden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
On the Fan590 they say the Flames are set to announce a deal. Rangers rumored to be involved.

From a poster on the main board. Take it for what its worth.

Dredden is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:03 AM
  #111
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post

The other problem with your argument is your thought that once those contracts come off the board, we will be ok. You are thinking two years ahead, not 4 or 5. Ok so we dump Redden to sign Kovy. We replace one huge contract with an even bigger one. Gabby still makes a lot and Hank still makes a lot. Staal is going to make a lot in about 2 years (if he doesn't right now...thanks Bobby Orr) and Cally and Dubi are sure to get raises into the 3-3.5 range next offseason. Think a year later..MDZ is up for a new deal and he should get around 3.5 - 4. I think it really is in the Rangers best interest to be patient. There will ALWAYS be good goal scorers available in free agency. A guy like Kovy is the final piece to a Stanley Cup Championship team, a guy you sign when you are coming into or are a season away from a serious run. That is not us. It is silly to sign and guy and say "just you wait until 2013...we'll be ready then."
Im totally confused...what is it you're trying to say then? Other than the fact that you are totally and completely shellshocked from so many terrible free agent signings over the past couple of years, that you cant see a golden opportunity when it comes along?

When it comes time for our younger players, we will have the cap room to handle that with guys like Drury and Rozsival coming off the books. And even if that does become a problem, we should have enough prospect depth to deal with it.

I guess what Im asking is, what the heck is your plan then? Cause it seems like its to just stay the course of letting our young players develop...I see no reason why that still cant happen with Kovalchuk in the mix. In fact, it would give the organization even more of an incentive to build the secondary players from within....and thats what this franchise is going to have to do in order to be successful considering their unwillingness to tank and the lack of blue-chippers in the system.

Pluck a true superstar out of free agency when you can (Gaborik and Kovalchuk in successive offseasons is a windfall), and build up the rest from within.

So to recap, we can build from within with Kovalchuk...or we can build from within without him. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:05 AM
  #112
dtrap
Registered User
 
dtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
First of all, nobody is trading for Brashear. You can cancel that one out.

Your scenario leaves us with a defense of:

Marc Staal
Dan Girardi
Matt Gilroy
Michal Rozsival
Michael del Zotto
Ryan McDonagh, who has yet to even play in the AHL

And no scoring depth whatsoever.
This is exactly my point. Gabby and Kovy does not equal scoring depth. One of two things will happen.

1) They will be put on the same line which means we have one and only one line that can score consistently and it's 2005-2006 all over again.

2) They will be on different lines and will get double-teamed constantly. When there is no one else on the line to score...what good is that?

If we had Gabby, a couple 65 point guys, two 40 point guys and a really sold backend...sure...sign him...knock your socks off...it might put us over the top.

But the fact is...we have Gabby...a couple 40 point guys and a defense that is only half there.

dtrap is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:08 AM
  #113
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Biron... book it. see my above post.

mti79 is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:10 AM
  #114
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,867
vCash: 500
Oh nice, Iginla, Gaborik and Kovalchuk on the same team. Sweeeet.

lol

HockeyBasedNYC is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:11 AM
  #115
dtrap
Registered User
 
dtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im totally confused...what is it you're trying to say then? Other than the fact that you are totally and completely shellshocked from so many terrible free agent signings over the past couple of years, that you cant see a golden opportunity when it comes along?

When it comes time for our younger players, we will have the cap room to handle that with guys like Drury and Rozsival coming off the books. And even if that does become a problem, we should have enough prospect depth to deal with it.

I guess what Im asking is, what the heck is your plan then? Cause it seems like its to just stay the course of letting our young players develop...I see no reason why that still cant happen with Kovalchuk in the mix. In fact, it would give the organization even more of an incentive to build the secondary players from within....and thats what this franchise is going to have to do in order to be successful considering their unwillingness to tank and the lack of blue-chippers in the system.

Pluck a true superstar out of free agency when you can (Gaborik and Kovalchuk in successive offseasons is a windfall), and build up the rest from within.

So to recap, we can build from within with Kovalchuk...or we can build from within without him. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Dude I'm not shellshocked at all. Drury is like my favorite Ranger...he's my favorite player in the entire NHL in fact...most people on here know that.

But you keep talking Dru and Rozy coming off the books. Staal's contract will replace Rozy's, between Dubi, Cally and MDZ they will more than make up for Drury's contract...and if you think Drury isn't going to be re-signed for 2-3 million a year when his contract is up you are crazy.

If anyone here doesn't understand something it is YOU not understanding how the salary cap works. If you replace Redden with Kovy you are most likely replacing a 6.5 million dollar hit with a 8.5 to 10 million dollar hit? How again does that help SAVE space?

dtrap is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:12 AM
  #116
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 50
NYP_Brooksie

Quote:
If Shelley walks, expect NYR to be in on Boogaard.
Ugg.

azrok22 is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:12 AM
  #117
Dredden
JT Miller
 
Dredden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Oh nice, Iginla, Gaborik and Kovalchuk on the same team. Sweeeet.

lol
You forgot Volchenkov.

This is getting interesting to say the least. If the deal is with us, I am worried. Theres not many players I would want from Calgary.

Dredden is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:16 AM
  #118
Dredden
JT Miller
 
Dredden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
NYP_Brooksie

If Shelley walks, expect NYR to be in on Boogaard.

Dredden is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:16 AM
  #119
Declan
HFB Partner
 
Declan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 962
vCash: 500
I would be happy with Biron or Nitty to be honest. Brooks said this AM that the Rangers were interested in Hedberg but IMO he is going to want more than Sather is willing or able to pay for a backup

My two cents on goalie situation

Declan is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:18 AM
  #120
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
This is exactly my point. Gabby and Kovy does not equal scoring depth. One of two things will happen.

1) They will be put on the same line which means we have one and only one line that can score consistently and it's 2005-2006 all over again.

2) They will be on different lines and will get double-teamed constantly. When there is no one else on the line to score...what good is that?

If we had Gabby, a couple 65 point guys, two 40 point guys and a really sold backend...sure...sign him...knock your socks off...it might put us over the top.

But the fact is...we have Gabby...a couple 40 point guys and a defense that is only half there.

come on now....gaborik scored how many being the only scoring threat on the TEAM let alone his line. He drew the opponents top shut down line and dman every game and till put up those numbers

why, then, will be shut down more when theres a 2nd, even more prolific, scoring threat on another line?

then they come together on the PP...thats a dramitic improvement in and of itself

obviouslly Kovalchuk doens't equal instant cup, but to assume he wont have a significant impact on the scoring depth of this offense is flat out stupid

mullichicken25 is online now  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:19 AM
  #121
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Quote:
The other problem with your argument is your thought that once those contracts come off the board, we will be ok. You are thinking two years ahead, not 4 or 5. Ok so we dump Redden to sign Kovy. We replace one huge contract with an even bigger one. Gabby still makes a lot and Hank still makes a lot. Staal is going to make a lot in about 2 years (if he doesn't right now...thanks Bobby Orr) and Cally and Dubi are sure to get raises into the 3-3.5 range next offseason. Think a year later..MDZ is up for a new deal and he should get around 3.5 - 4. I think it really is in the Rangers best interest to be patient. There will ALWAYS be good goal scorers available in free agency. A guy like Kovy is the final piece to a Stanley Cup Championship team, a guy you sign when you are coming into or are a season away from a serious run. That is not us. It is silly to sign and guy and say "just you wait until 2013...we'll be ready then."
This is extremely well said.
Oy. I hate posts like this. Guys, this is all based on assumptions and no actual facts. It's almost like you WANT it to be true, because you're so angry at Sather for the past mistakes or something.

To be clear, when you spit it all out in a paragraph like this it seems plausible (and, if it were true, I MIGHT come closer to your way of thinking). However, if you actually run the numbers, there's no problem at all. In fact our players are coming up in waves that makes it all very manageable. Seriously - go to capgeek.com and run the numbers. Bear in mind who's an UFA, who's an RFA with arbitration rights and who's an RFA without arbitration rights and when. Then make conservative assumptions regarding the cap in each year. All it takes is ONE major move by the Rangers (demoting Redden - if they aren't willing to do that, the discussion is moot anyway) and it works going forward for years. In fact it becomes pretty easy starting the moment Drury's contract comes off the books. (And this is assuming that the Rangers will keep each and every one of the players in their system, which is a very long shot.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im totally confused...what is it you're trying to say then? Other than the fact that you are totally and completely shellshocked from so many terrible free agent signings over the past couple of years, that you cant see a golden opportunity when it comes along?

When it comes time for our younger players, we will have the cap room to handle that with guys like Drury and Rozsival coming off the books. And even if that does become a problem, we should have enough prospect depth to deal with it.

I guess what Im asking is, what the heck is your plan then? Cause it seems like its to just stay the course of letting our young players develop...I see no reason why that still cant happen with Kovalchuk in the mix. In fact, it would give the organization even more of an incentive to build the secondary players from within....and thats what this franchise is going to have to do in order to be successful considering their unwillingness to tank and the lack of blue-chippers in the system.

Pluck a true superstar out of free agency when you can (Gaborik and Kovalchuk in successive offseasons is a windfall), and build up the rest from within.

So to recap, we can build from within with Kovalchuk...or we can build from within without him. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.
Exactly.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:22 AM
  #122
Dredden
JT Miller
 
Dredden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
dantencer

Oilers in on Boogaard? I'd say so, at least to kick tires. Told by a couple of hockey types yesterday that they think he'll go to NYR.

Dredden is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:22 AM
  #123
dtrap
Registered User
 
dtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
going to gym on my lunch break (not that i've done anything at work today lol)

We can continue this when i get back in about an hour...I am enjoying having an intelligent discussion on here for once!

dtrap is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:22 AM
  #124
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
NYP_Brooksie

If Shelley walks, expect NYR to be in on Boogaard.

NikC is offline  
Old
07-01-2010, 10:23 AM
  #125
Dredden
JT Miller
 
Dredden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
DarrenDreger

Look for Marty Biron to sign with the Rangers. Just a hunch...

Dredden is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.