Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Olympics in Sochi 2014

Old
04-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Ribban

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
We all saw what youthful grit and passion did for the Americans this Olympics, while the more skilled and experienced team didn't seem to care at all.

The best mix is 5-6 30+ players that brings experience, but then you also need a few 20-24:ish players for enthusiasm.

We also need an energy line, both Canada and USA played a much faster game than we did - we weren't even close. Not that it's our way to play the game, but we must be able to match their intensity if need be, and we just weren't.
I quoted you becasue I agree with what you are writing, and my post is one out of frustration, not geared towards you.

USA Hockey is probably the best managed federation in the world today, and it is starting to show and will be very evident from hereon out. The reason being is that they took a long hard look in the mirror and decided to revamp the system, and the changes didn't come about becasue they somehow tried to protect egos. They were quite ruthless with themselves and can today show some pretty impressive results, which are only buds of what USA Hockey will be in a few years if they can keep it going like they are.

Swedish hockey continues to bet on horses that don't deliver. The Swedish puck possession style (for one) is not paying off, and as you pointed out, we have suffocated on a defensive minded, lathargic style of hockey, which clearly isn't successful on any international stage (NTs or club level).

Don't think I say it's all bad. We have great talent in the ranks, and Swedish players are some of the best coached and fundementally skilled players in the world, year in and year out, but after a certain age, we no longer manage to win based on skill alone. We sorely lack grit and instinct to challenge our opponents, offensively as well as defensively, and that is something they have no chance to learn in Sweden today. Most hockey people in Sweden today can't seperate dirty play from physical play, and when watching an SEL game, the battles along the boards and in front of the net (the few times they manage to get out from the corners) is more about crazy jack moves than sound positioning and strength.

As I see it, the NT might change a bit with Mårts behind the bench, but nothing dramatic will happen, as the core of Swedish hockey, the SEL and its big clubs, set the tone and show no sign of rethinking their philosophies. The arrogance will kill us as their eternal whining is about not having enough money to attract "better" players to stand around in their traps, which would somehow be a better product... and yes, the opposition needs to come from out of Sweden too. But, as I said, there is no second guessing themselves, which is natural when you get a small, stagnant hockey community. I love the Swedish expression, "Skyddad verkstad," and it's really fitting for Swedish hockey at the moment.

Ad nasium with the Federation going out with their Soviet like contract on players being fined and punished for trying to fulfill their potential outside of Sweden, they are not only shutting down any possibility of any young player developing to contribute effectively on the international stage, but they are also killing all the guys who can't or don't have parents who can get them around the political obstacles of being considered a future resource by the Swedish brain thrust.

Having said all that, I think you can forget having a Swedish energy line, or a checking line, worth its name in Sochi, as Tre Kronor will not understand why that would be beneficial, and if they do put something like that together, pray that its made up of seasoned NHLers who got out before the federation's iron curtain dropped and got to learn how to bring the heat and passion for the job.

It's depressing to say the least. It's like realizing that smoking is killing us, so let's give the tobacco companies more influence and resources to figure this out for us.

Last edited by Ribban: 04-08-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:38 PM
jfc64

Add players you feel are among the 13 who should take back the olympic hockey gold in 2014. Also highlight your team below. I provide the most common names according to this thread. Now and then I sum up the votes in a "depth chart". Feel free to adjust/complete age and position. Also added WC players bound for NHL and some promising NHL players. These have no "votes" yet.

Eriksson (28) - Bäckstrom (26) - Hörnqvist (27)
Sedin (33) - Sedin (33) - Samuelsson (37)
Franzén (34) - Zetterberg (33) - Bergfors (26)
MPS (22) – Backlund (24) - Möller (25)
Steen (29) - Berglund (25) - Josefson (22)
Persson (34) - Engqvist (26) – Andersson (33)
Omark (27) - Kruger (23) - Pettersson (26)
Ritola (26) – Rask (20) - Sjöstrom (30)
Rensfeldt (22) - Nyquist (24)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hedman (23) - Larsson (21)
Karlsson (23) - Hjalmarsson (26)
Kronwall (33) - Strålman (27)
Murray (33) - Ericsson (29)
Enstrom (29) - Edler (27)
Grossman (29) - OEL (22)
Tallinder (35) - Oduya (32)
Gunnarsson (27) - Junland (26)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lundqvist (31)
Markstrom (23)
Gustavsson (29)
Enroth (25)
Larsson (28)
Lindbäck (25)
Wesslau (29)
Backlund (32)
Lehner (22)

Last edited by jfc64: 07-01-2010 at 11:24 AM.
jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:49 PM
cheerupmurray

My wild guess, threw in a couple of surprises

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - J.Franzén
M. Pääjärvi - N. Bäckström - N.Bergfors
L. Eriksson - H. Zetterberg - G. Nyquist
V. Stålberg - T. Wandell - G. Landeskog

A. Edler - T. Enström
N. Kronwall - E.Karlsson
O.Ekman-Larsson - N. Hjalmarsson
V.Hedman

H.Lundqvist
J.Markström
R.Lehner

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:13 PM
afrobomber11

zetterberg(C)-backstrom-hornquist
d.sedin-h.sedin(A)-eriksson
weinhandl-franzen-paajarvi
stalberg-backlund-berglund-bergfors

hedman-kronwall(A)
ekman-larsson-enstrom
murray-karlsson
larsson OR hjalmarsson (larssons development or hjalmarssons overall game staying par is the variable)

lundqvist
gustafsson
markstrom

afrobomber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:09 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrobomber11 View Post

weinhandl

Are you crazy?

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:13 PM
afrobomber11

a little bit, whats your arguement or are you just gunna post silly things?

Old
06-29-2010, 07:41 PM
cheerupmurray

I think one of Tre kronors weak spots will be right wingers. The team could of course play with lw or centers at that position but that´s not optimal. Alfredsson will be retired, Samuelsson and Weinhandl probably wont be olympics material, that leaves us with what?

Niclas Bergfors
Patric Hörnqvist
One hit wonders? we don't know yet

Carl Klingberg
André Petersson
Jakob Silfverberg
Fredrik Pettersson
Jonas Andersson
Gabriel Landeskog
Gustaf Nyquist
Fredrik Sjöström

All looongshots to be superb players 2014.

Well perhaps it's not really a problem, perhaps im just drunk

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:36 AM
jfc64

Sedin (33) - Sedin (33) - Josefson (22)
MPS (22) - Zetterberg (33) - Rensfeldt (22)
Franzén (34) - Backlund (24) - Andersson (33)
Persson (34)

Gunnarsson (27)

Lundqvist (31)
Markstrom (23)
Gustavsson (29)

Last edited by jfc64: 07-02-2010 at 07:59 PM.
jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 02:29 PM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
Sedin (33) - Sedin (33) - Josefson (22)
MPS (22) - Zetterberg (33) - Rensfeldt (22)
Franzén (34) - Backlund (24) - Andersson (33)
Persson (34)

Gunnarsson (27)

Lundqvist (31)
Markstrom (23)
Gustavsson (29)
This team could be sick!

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:42 PM
0ilerman
The King

I'm very exctied to watch Paajarvi play at oilers camp in the next month. Other than the world championships and world junior, I haven't seen him play too much. What are your projections for him in the NHL. Do you see him making the Oilers this year? Strengths and weaknesses in his game.

0ilerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 02:55 AM
Komarov47

what's sure is that guys like Paajarvi-Svensson, Adam Larsson (who will be a top3 pick in 2011 draft), Victor Hedman, Jarnkrok, Anton Lander, Klingberg will all be in the Olympics.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:06 PM
cosmicnavigator

MPS-Bäckström-Klingberg
Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Zetterberg-Josefsson-Franzen (checking line)
Steen-Berglund-Hörnqvist
Landeskog

Hedman-Larsson
OEL-Edler
Hjalmarsson-Karlsson
Kronwall

Lundqvist
Markström
Enroth

cosmicnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 09:14 PM
afrobomber11

theres alot of people putting klingberg on the list, and im not entirely sure were looking at a first line player, and 4 years may be pushing it for him to get to that level of first line player if he does get to that point

Old
08-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
what's sure is that guys like Paajarvi-Svensson, Adam Larsson (who will be a top3 pick in 2011 draft), Victor Hedman, Jarnkrok, Anton Lander, Klingberg will all be in the Olympics.
A few of those names yes. All of them? Highly unlikely. I'd be surprised if we have more than 4 players under the age of 25 on that team. Even that is a lot by swedish standards.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 02:26 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrobomber11 View Post
theres alot of people putting klingberg on the list, and im not entirely sure were looking at a first line player, and 4 years may be pushing it for him to get to that level of first line player if he does get to that point
If he's on the team it will be on a fourth line grinder role. Doubt he'll be though.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:21 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicnavigator View Post

Zetterberg-Josefsson-Franzen (checking line)

Softest checking-line ever..

Old
08-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post
A few of those names yes. All of them? Highly unlikely. I'd be surprised if we have more than 4 players under the age of 25 on that team. Even that is a lot by swedish standards.
amen.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:32 PM
cosmicnavigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Softest checking-line ever..
They arent suposed to be hard hitting energy players these will be the ones going out against Crosby, Ovie and the other top lines. Landeskog might be an option on that line but i think Zetterberg need a playmaker on his line.

What team Sweden lack is a good right handed centers and is good at face offs most of our centers are sub par at face offs.

cosmicnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 08:01 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
They arent suposed to be hard hitting energy players these will be the ones going out against Crosby, Ovie and the other top lines. Landeskog might be an option on that line but i think Zetterberg need a playmaker on his line.

What team Sweden lack is a good right handed centers and is good at face offs most of our centers are sub par at face offs.

What team Sweden needs is GRIT.

Old
09-02-2010, 02:36 PM
afrobomber11

Quote:

richards makes ovechkin cry

Old
09-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
I quoted you becasue I agree with what you are writing, and my post is one out of frustration, not geared towards you.

USA Hockey is probably the best managed federation in the world today, and it is starting to show and will be very evident from hereon out. The reason being is that they took a long hard look in the mirror and decided to revamp the system, and the changes didn't come about becasue they somehow tried to protect egos. They were quite ruthless with themselves and can today show some pretty impressive results, which are only buds of what USA Hockey will be in a few years if they can keep it going like they are.

Swedish hockey continues to bet on horses that don't deliver. The Swedish puck possession style (for one) is not paying off, and as you pointed out, we have suffocated on a defensive minded, lathargic style of hockey, which clearly isn't successful on any international stage (NTs or club level).

Don't think I say it's all bad. We have great talent in the ranks, and Swedish players are some of the best coached and fundementally skilled players in the world, year in and year out, but after a certain age, we no longer manage to win based on skill alone. We sorely lack grit and instinct to challenge our opponents, offensively as well as defensively, and that is something they have no chance to learn in Sweden today. Most hockey people in Sweden today can't seperate dirty play from physical play, and when watching an SEL game, the battles along the boards and in front of the net (the few times they manage to get out from the corners) is more about crazy jack moves than sound positioning and strength.

As I see it, the NT might change a bit with Mårts behind the bench, but nothing dramatic will happen, as the core of Swedish hockey, the SEL and its big clubs, set the tone and show no sign of rethinking their philosophies. The arrogance will kill us as their eternal whining is about not having enough money to attract "better" players to stand around in their traps, which would somehow be a better product... and yes, the opposition needs to come from out of Sweden too. But, as I said, there is no second guessing themselves, which is natural when you get a small, stagnant hockey community. I love the Swedish expression, "Skyddad verkstad," and it's really fitting for Swedish hockey at the moment.

Ad nasium with the Federation going out with their Soviet like contract on players being fined and punished for trying to fulfill their potential outside of Sweden, they are not only shutting down any possibility of any young player developing to contribute effectively on the international stage, but they are also killing all the guys who can't or don't have parents who can get them around the political obstacles of being considered a future resource by the Swedish brain thrust.

Having said all that, I think you can forget having a Swedish energy line, or a checking line, worth its name in Sochi, as Tre Kronor will not understand why that would be beneficial, and if they do put something like that together, pray that its made up of seasoned NHLers who got out before the federation's iron curtain dropped and got to learn how to bring the heat and passion for the job.

It's depressing to say the least. It's like realizing that smoking is killing us, so let's give the tobacco companies more influence and resources to figure this out for us.
It's Sweden the wussiest and feminine country in the world, what do you expect? This mindset is too deeply rooted in the old and weak "men" that is called leaders in our hockey federation. We will have to hope the Swedish model can live on its strengths in stead (there are strengths as well, I think the skating/individual skill has improved the recent years).

Last edited by Tomas W: 09-02-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 07:03 PM
adamkex

Zetterberg, Bäckström, Eriksson
Sedin, Sedin, MPS
Franzén, Berglund/Backlund/Josefson (if Berglund makes a comeback), Hörnqvist
Bergfors, Josefson/Berglund/Backlund, Johansson

Steen/Berglund/Josefson

Hedman, OEL
Edler, Karlsson
Kronwall, Hjalmarsson

Murray (more defensive)/Larsson (too little experience?)

Lundqvist
Markström/Gustavsson

C. Zetterberg/H. Sedin
A. Zetterberg/H. Sedin
A. Bäckström/Hedman/OEL

Anybody like this team?

adamkex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 10:55 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Locks:
Bäckström
Zetterberg
Hörnqvist
Franzén
Sedin
Sedin
Eriksson
Enström
Kronwall
Hedman
Hjalmarsson
Edler
Lundqvist

Likely:
Berglund
MPS
OEL
Larsson
Markström

Maybe:
Rödin
Bergfors
Krüger
Josefsson
Tedenby
Järnkrok
Backlund
Landeskog

In my opinion

Probably forgot someone.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 03:15 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Locks:
Bäckström
Zetterberg
Hörnqvist
Franzén
Sedin
Sedin
Eriksson
Enström
Kronwall
Hedman
Hjalmarsson
Edler
Lundqvist

Likely:
Berglund
MPS
OEL
Larsson
Markström

Maybe:
Rödin
Bergfors
Krüger
Josefsson
Tedenby
Järnkrok
Backlund
Landeskog

In my opinion

Probably forgot someone.
"Locks"? Hahahahaha...

4 years...4 ****ing years...

Old
09-10-2010, 07:10 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
"Locks"? Hahahahaha...

4 years...4 ****ing years...
Yeah.. there is currently no one with the talent to replace those players.

But then again, you think Möller and Stålberg will be there, so why am I even arguing with you

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote