HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings Look Set for a Big Deal

Old
07-01-2010, 09:51 AM
sjmay*

vCash: 500
Anyone who thinks getting a huge Russian star won't produce more fans either is intentionally being obtuse, or is really underestimating the huge Russian population in L.A.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:57 AM
VictoryRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Anyone who thinks getting a huge Russian star won't produce more fans either is intentionally being obtuse, or is really underestimating the huge Russian population in L.A.
I fully understand the size of the Russian population in Los Angeles, specifically West hollywood and Beverly Hills.

I also fully understand Hockey's popularity in Los Angeles.

I also fully understand Hockey's popularity amongst Russian ex-pats.

I also fully understand where Ilya Kovulchuk and the Kings ranks as a topic of discussion amongst local Russians.

It isn't going to be substantial, period. Ask the Devils if their lineage of Russians helped them get a bump from the Brighton Beach/Newark/Jersey City russian population.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:09 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
If it happens, I want to see the Sports Illustrated cover - "Kobe, meet Kovy" (similar to the Magic Johnson / Gretzky cover in '88)

I think I would be physically ill.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:12 AM
kingbrath

vCash: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
you're not getting it. it isnt comparable because the opportunity to capitalize on a IK or Ovie signing isnt even CLOSE to the one provided to the Kings w/ gretzky. it isnt the same planet, galaxy, or universe. It never will be. Lightning struck that day, it isn't happening again on any comparable level. I wont even buy the "this is the first time since then we've had blah blah blah" argument. This is strictly a team upgrade, if the results are that the team makes it to the second round or beyond, or leads the pacific all season, you might see a bump. A press conference isn't going to cut it. Even if IK cries
Lightning struck! Different times, different team I get it...the change is I think this team has a solid core that was lacking in the Gretzky era. The piece that we need is well known and the piece that is avaliable is there for the taking. I am from Calgary and only make it to LA 2 or 3 times a year for games so I may not know the LA hockey bible as well as you. All im saying is that Kovy will bring what we need to this team which will bring success which will bring ticket sales.

kingbrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:14 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Kovi is going to do nothing to bring in casual fans. They have no clue who he is, let alone the LA kings. My sister is your typical LA girl; she has lived there for about the last 10 years now. I suggested going to a kings game one night while visiting he direct response was "Who are the the kings".........

She didn't even know LA has a pro hockey team; "But she can tell you who the Green Bay Packers are and what city they are in." I live about 2 hours away in the Central Valley. And just about zero of my friends even remotely care about the kings, they are all shark fans......

Pretty much the only Fans Kovi is going to impress are the Fans already interested with the LA kings.....
This is 100% correct. Whatever the Kings do this off season it had better be about winning and nothing else. LA loves a winner and won't abide a loser. We're going to grab the other team by the nose, and kick'em in the ass...

Oops watched Patton the other night.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:51 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Come on, what are we gonna get? An extra 25 russians a night, if lucky? Hockey isn't even close to being the biggest sport in Russia, and "basket" is close to taking over, if it hasn't already, and sitting second fiddle to football. I appreciate what you're saying, but the idea that a burgeoning russian community is going to spark a marketing bonanza and ticket sales are going to jump significantly just isnt reality.

The most signing IK would do is get people that might already consider renewing their season tickets or mini plans to maybe commit full steam.

you're not getting it. it isnt comparable because the opportunity to capitalize on a IK or Ovie signing isnt even CLOSE to the one provided to the Kings w/ gretzky. it isnt the same planet, galaxy, or universe. It never will be. Lightning struck that day, it isn't happening again on any comparable level. I wont even buy the "this is the first time since then we've had blah blah blah" argument. This is strictly a team upgrade, if the results are that the team makes it to the second round or beyond, or leads the pacific all season, you might see a bump. A press conference isn't going to cut it. Even if IK cries
I agree with most of what you're saying. But I do think signing Kovalchuk will generate more buzz for the team. Similar to what the Pronger signing did for Anaheim.

On local sports radio shows, after they get done talking about Dodgers/Lebraun ect. for 3 hours, they'll actually use 30 seconds of airtime to mention that the Kings signed some guy named Kovalchuk, and he's supposed to be really good.

It will be somewhere close to the front page of the LA Times sports section...

When was the last time anyone even mentioned the Kings during July?

When the casual LA sports fan hears "Kings," he think: "Hey, aren't they supposed to be good this year?"

It will generate some buzz, but it won't be huge.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:59 AM
VictoryRose

I agree with everything you're saying. it will generate a little buzz here and there, and it'll help, but no one on the business side of things is looking at signing IK as a mega marketing jubmalyah opportunity. its a signing aimed purely at winning hockey games, as it should be,

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:59 AM
no name

I assume there is quite a bit of competition. I assumed Kovalchuk would sign somewhere within the first hour.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:33 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Im late for work and nothing has happened. So the Sens wont sign Volchenkov but they will sign lazy decline/ recline Gonchar to 5 m? I like Nitty on the sharks. They are looking a little weaker.

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:48 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I wouldn't be surprised if Kovy didn't make a decision today.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:51 PM
The Judge

All I know guys is up to this point almost every team has made a "splash" as the title of this thread goes.... but the Kings have not!

Putting things into perspective, LA needs to upgrade. If the Kings are to make another run for the playoffs we need to plug holes. The rest of the NHL won't take the Kings lightly this year so if we have a lineup that is the same as last year's and without Frolov and OD, WE WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. Not being negative just saying the way I see it.

Michalek & Martin is gone to the Penguins we better pray we get Hambius! We need a top 4 D and either a top 6 forward for loosing Frolov and a legit 2nd line center.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The Kings are patiently waiting on Kovalchuk. We are still one of the frontrunners. Keep it up Dean!

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
The Kings are patiently waiting on Kovalchuk. We are still one of the frontrunners. Keep it up Dean!
Cross your fingers, your toes and eyes that this happens....I keep checking from the office hoping I don't get caught

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:56 PM
SFKingshomer

I would have loved Paul Martin but 5 million?

SFKingshomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:59 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
IMO, signing a top 4 "D" is as equally important signing a top 6 forward like Kovy. I hope we don't get left out on the "D" part.

Edit: Hambius is the only one legitimately left.

Old
07-01-2010, 03:02 PM
The Judge

Defense: Tallinder gone to NJ for $3.37 million.

Old
07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
good god, are you serious? Why would Ovechkin sell tickets to casual fans who have NO ****ING IDEA WHO HE IS.

This is HOCKEY and LOS ANGELES and a RUSSIAN we're talking about. This is not Lebron James to the New York Knicks.

Mention the name Kovalchuk to the average L.Alien, and they may think he's one of those Russian spies.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:16 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Dan Hamhuis to the Canucks.

So... Kings sign Kovy or bust? No one else left really exciting.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote