HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray for Hamrlik

View Poll Results: Would you trade Souray for Hamrlik?
yes 22 34.38%
no 42 65.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-01-2010, 02:54 PM
KnuklZ

vCash: 500
Souray for Hamrlik

Souray wants out of Edmonton and has a history in MTL, we want Hamrlik out of MTL and he has a history in Edm. They both make the same money (Souray has 1 extra year).

The risk with Souray is that he played less than half the games in 2 of the past 3 years with Edm and had some surgery to his wrist and shoulder. If he is healthy (as he claims) I believe he brings more to the table that would help MTL than what Hamrlik provides. For one, the PP with Souray would be vastly improved and this would mean the end of MAB in MTL. He would also provide more toughness in the back-end.

I know that PG said the D is set and I doubt that Edm would entertain taking on an equally big contract back (tho less term), but just for arguments sake...would you make this deal from MTL pov?

KnuklZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:55 PM
neofury*

Dude he's like a 6 million dollar Marc-Andre Bergeron.

Probably more physical but probably even more of a liability defensively.

No thanks.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:56 PM
PyrettaBlaze

I don't really see how this could help the Habs...

PyrettaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:56 PM
TheBuriedHab

Whyyyyyy

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

PASS.

Do not want Souray. Would prefer Gilbert if we get a d from Edmonton. Well, Smid too.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:57 PM
chpartisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuklZ View Post
Souray wants out of Edmonton and has a history in MTL, we want Hamrlik out of MTL and he has a history in Edm. They both make the same money (Souray has 1 extra year).

The risk with Souray is that he played less than half the games in 2 of the past 3 years with Edm and had some surgery to his wrist and shoulder. If he is healthy (as he claims) I believe he brings more to the table that would help MTL than what Hamrlik provides. For one, the PP with Souray would be vastly improved and this would mean the end of MAB in MTL. He would also provide more toughness in the back-end.

I know that PG said the D is set and I doubt that Edm would entertain taking on an equally big contract back (tho less term), but just for arguments sake...would you make this deal from MTL pov?
Who is we?

chpartisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 02:58 PM
JackZap

no. we need Hamrlik to come off the books for next year, we will need that 5.5 for raises

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:00 PM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
PASS.

Do not want Souray. Would prefer Gilbert if we get a d from Edmonton. Well, Smid too.
Gilbert
Stortini

for

Hamrlik
Pacioretty

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Ginu

Call Buffalo they just lost a third of their defense they may be desperate for Hamrlik for 1 year

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:03 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

I think it's time for Hamrlik to have his own thread. LOL

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:06 PM
prairie hab

I hate how everyone is desperate to move Hamrlik.

The biggest reason his play regressed last season is because he was over-played. When Markov went down for so many games, Hammer had to pick up significant minutes. By the time the playoffs rolled around, Hammer was running on empty.

If Hamrlik is managed properly with ice time (16-20 minutes per game) he will be fine. He cannot play 25 minutes a game anymore. I believe he was worth the contract Gainey originally signed him to. At worst, we only have him for this year - after this season he comes off the books at no cost to us. He is still a very viable top 4 defenseman. Look at the ridiculous money some d-men are getting today in free agency who do not even play an all-around game like Hamrlik does.

I loved Souray as a Hab........... but that was years a go. The guy is fragile, a bit of a locker room bully, and has multiple years left on a huge contract.

If there is a trade to be made for Hamrlik - fine. But lets not swap one steep contract for a worse one.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Souray's hand is bad now, he will never shoot 100 MPH again... not worth it anymore.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

With Hamrlik, Gill gone next year, and Spacek gone by the year after (or sooner), assuming we keep Markov, we could easily go after Chara next year, and fill the other spot with a 2m D. And we'd still have cap space to sign back any player and still improve on the top 6.

The cap is still gonna go up 5% next year.

Souray? No thank you.

Chara-Markov-Subban for 14 mil?

Markov-Hammer-Spacek cost us 15,05 mil.... and with the cap going up, we're not really adding any salary.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
The Sheldon Souray we would be getting is not the Sheldon Souray that left Montreal a few years ago. His wrist and shoulder injuries and his concussion have really affected his play; he wouldn't be userful at all in his current state.

Besides, the only reason we would move Hamrlik is to reinvest money elsewhere. He is not a bad player at all, so why trade him for a Souray?

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:40 PM
xposbrad

Hammer comes off the books this year, I'd hold onto him. He can skate and is better on D. Souray is way too fragile now, not worth the risk for us. Hammer is still a decent dman, right now he's probably like our #3B guy..

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

If Souray also had 1 year left on his contract, I would take the chance.

But just because of the extra year, no thank you.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:49 PM
habfan1968

If there is a step back in D, why pay a premium for it? Let's not forget how his defensive play hurt us. Sure nice PP goals but he really does not do that anymore. Keep Hammer and play him 15 - 18 mins and he is way better.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 05:52 PM
KnuklZ

thanks for the responses guys. The thought just crossed my mind when TSN indicated that Souray wanted out of Edm. Kinda torn, I want the old Souray back I guess alot of good arguments are made towards his injuries, sometimes bad D and the fact that his contract has 2 years left.

Reading through all the posts, it may be best to just ride out Hamr's contract and see what we get next year on the UFA market. The only big names that we need to resign next year I would not expect to get HUGE increases (ie Markov is already making close to 6m). We will definately have money to spend next year. Hey maybe we get more action than a backup signing *yawn* The crop of UFAs this year is somewhat underwhelming. We signed the best one anyways (Pleks).

Someone mentioned Z will be available next UFA season. Even though it would be great, chances are that he will resign in Boston before he even hits UFA status. One can only dream

Old
07-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Oh I suck, I accidentally hit YES.

07-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

I like obth, and I would not mind keeping Hamrlik. I like him. But Souray had great years here and it would be great to have him too.

Spacek vs Souray. YESSS!!! Ive seen enough of Spacek.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:01 PM
KnuklZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Oh I suck, I accidentally hit YES.
lol...this was really a skill test and you failed

Old
07-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Aurel Joliat

Hamrlik for Souray ? Anytime ! Sheldon was one of my favourite player when he was here. He is offensive, physical and a true leader

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:03 PM
KnuklZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
I like obth, and I would not mind keeping Hamrlik. I like him. But Souray had great years here and it would be great to have him too.

Spacek vs Souray. YESSS!!! Ive seen enough of Spacek.
Interesting thought. Spacek used to play for Edm during their cup run and has years left on his contract also (less money though). I just think at this point Souray is such a huge risk as he may never regain his shot and could reinjure himself due to his style of play.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:05 PM
KnuklZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Hamrlik for Souray ? Anytime ! Sheldon was one of my favourite player when he was here. He is offensive, physical and a true leader
Funny, poll shows 33% in favor of the trade...yet this is the first person to dare comment on this positively

Old
07-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuklZ View Post
lol...this was really a skill test and you failed
Sadly, this isn't the first time I've been told this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Sheldon was one of my favorites as well. But you're thinking of the old Sheldon. The new Sheldon is banged up pretty bad, and not quite the player he used to be.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote