HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal talks: "Not a wide gap, a chasm" (UPDATE - close to a deal?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2010, 03:51 PM
SERE 24
LGR

vCash: 500
Here's a fun one for you guys to play with - just roll with me; this is purely imaginatiive conjecture - what if Staal and Sather have agreed on a nice deal in the neighborhood of 3.5M but Sather said to Staal "Marc, you're our rock on defense and we don't want you going anywhere for a long time. We're going to sign the deal we agreed upon, you have my guarantee, but we're gonna sign it around the end of camp to give us room to improve the roster over the summer. You have my word." And then he fed out this story about the negotiations to throw everyone off the scent that he's going after Kovy hard. He gets Kovy signed, Redden gets dumped in camp and a day or two after Redden is demoted Staal 'agrees' to a nice 2-3 year deal with the promise of an even better payday when Dru, Rozy and Avery are off the books.

/end fantasy

Old
06-29-2010, 05:26 PM
NYReign

http://www.hockeyrodent.com/R2333.HTM

on a similar note to what Zetterqvist was thinking, that would be an ideal situation. unfortunately, as he said that's why it's probably a fantasy

Old
06-29-2010, 05:30 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Here's a fun one for you guys to play with - just roll with me; this is purely imaginatiive conjecture - what if Staal and Sather have agreed on a nice deal in the neighborhood of 3.5M but Sather said to Staal "Marc, you're our rock on defense and we don't want you going anywhere for a long time. We're going to sign the deal we agreed upon, you have my guarantee, but we're gonna sign it around the end of camp to give us room to improve the roster over the summer. You have my word." And then he fed out this story about the negotiations to throw everyone off the scent that he's going after Kovy hard. He gets Kovy signed, Redden gets dumped in camp and a day or two after Redden is demoted Staal 'agrees' to a nice 2-3 year deal with the promise of an even better payday when Dru, Rozy and Avery are off the books.

/end fantasy
Makes sense, but then again, I doubt Staal, Girardi and their agents are willing to take that gamble. And what if someone realizes this situation and forces an offer sheet for say, Staal? If they know the situation, they'll lose Staal because they won't be able to afford him anymore had they deliberately waited for his contract until they could demote Redden, no?

Then we lose Staal.

Old
06-29-2010, 06:32 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Makes sense, but then again, I doubt Staal, Girardi and their agents are willing to take that gamble. And what if someone realizes this situation and forces an offer sheet for say, Staal? If they know the situation, they'll lose Staal because they won't be able to afford him anymore had they deliberately waited for his contract until they could demote Redden, no?

Then we lose Staal.
Well, it isn't supposed to be fool proof, given that it's likely more of a cartoon plot than actual occurrence, but for the heck of it... I suppose you only go forward with this if that discussion you have with Staal where you're telling him he's the rock on the blueline and you have every intention of not only taking care of him on this contract, but of giving him his payday on his next as well includes Staal saying explicitly that he wants to continue playing for the Rangers and isn't going to go sign a 4 year 4.5M offer sheet because we're gonna give him a 2-year 3.5M deal and than hit him with something like a 5 year 5M extension when Dru and Rozy are off the books. You'd have to have his word as well I guess; both Staal would have to completely trust Sather's word and Sather trust Staal's.

Old
06-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Can't blame Staal. When you see what Redden and Roszival are making and you are 100x better than them, you might as well take what you can get. Sather surely dished out the $$$ to those bums.

Old
06-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Staal will not go anywhere, even if he's offersheeted to Bobby Ryan money (which he wouldn't be). If the Rangers were handcuffed after signing Kovalchuk and Staal signed an offersheet, there are always more options to make room. ie: Chris Drury could be bought the **** out which would save over 5 million this season and about 3 mil next year.

Old
06-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Can't blame Staal. When you see what Redden and Roszival are making and you are 100x better than them, you might as well take what you can get. Sather surely dished out the $$$ to those bums.
While you're 100% right in principle, they were UFA's and there's absolutely no comparison.

Old
06-29-2010, 06:39 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post

Then we lose Staal.
In that event, you'd have 1 week after the offer sheet to clear the space.

In that case, trade a 2nd round pick or some other asset plus Redden to a team ONLY TO HOLD ON THEIR ROSTER FOR THE SUMMER. Once training camp opens, the team trades Redden back to the Rangers, and the Rangers bury him in Hartford.

Players don't get paid over the summer, so the team acquiring him wouldn't be giving up anything other than a roster spot and some cap space (but only cap space for the summer - something quite a few teams have in abundance because they don't spend to the cap anyways). Obviously it would have to be a GM that trusts Sather and would have some cap space - so probably a Western Conference team like Phoenix).

Personally, I don't think it ever comes to an offer sheet, but if it did, there's creative ways to solve the short term problem; this is only one of them.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Man I can't wait until Thursday and seeing that Kovalchuk has signed with someone other than the Rangers. You guys are delusional... The Rangers can't trade Redden and a pick to a team and have them hold him until camp amd trade him back... Any trade that would put a team over the cap would be rejected by the league. Also you can't leave your players in limbo while you try sign a free agent that's bad business... The Rangers have like 15m in cap space... Get that through your heads.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Man I can't wait until Thursday and seeing that Kovalchuk has signed with someone other than the Rangers. You guys are delusional... The Rangers can't trade Redden and a pick to a team and have them hold him until camp amd trade him back... Any trade that would put a team over the cap would be rejected by the league. Also you can't leave your players in limbo while you try sign a free agent that's bad business... The Rangers have like 15m in cap space... Get that through your heads.
I think if you look back in time at the Devils, who had only 1 signed pro goaltender and were well over the cap well into the preseason, you'll find that that isnt the case.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:54 PM
TomLaidlaw

Someone signing Staal to an offer sheet could make things very uncomfortable for us. In no way do I think we would decline to match any offer sheet. For the simple fact that we can't afford to lose Marc Staal for any combination of draft picks. However, if someone pays Staal on his potential and signs him to a 7 year 5.8mill per type offer sheet it will make things uncomfortable for us cap wise. All it takes is one desperate GM out there to do something a little crazy.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:46 AM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
If you had a brother in the NHL, you wouldn't want to play with him at some point? There's no law saying you have to be eternally loyal to the team that drafted you. The Staal brothers are, by all accounts, very close. I could definitely see it being their long-term goal.

Eric and Jordan having Cups doesnt help either.

Old
06-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Can't quote you on my phone Fitzy but I am pretty sure they dumped someone in the minors. Malakhov? I can't remember who or said player retired. Thing is he was already on the roster... The league would veto a ttrade in the situation the poster before us mentioned was my main point.

Old
06-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
However, if someone pays Staal on his potential and signs him to a 7 year 5.8mill per type offer sheet it will make things uncomfortable for us cap wise. All it takes is one desperate GM out there to do something a little crazy.
Almost exact dollar value as Redden's contract that Sather didn't hesitate handing out. And for a guy who was supposed to help our powerplay no less, in his time here, Staal has 2 more total points than Redden.

Worst case scenario, dump redden, match a ridiculous offer sheet for Staal, his development hits a brick wall and you still have a better player signed for the same amount of money that the albatross would take up.

Old
06-30-2010, 08:59 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat Scar View Post
Almost exact dollar value as Redden's contract that Sather didn't hesitate handing out.
You can't compare the two. Redden was an UFA. Staal is a RFA

07-01-2010, 01:09 PM
GAGLine

With Coburn getting 3.2 mil per for 2 years, how does that impact Staal's negotiations? Does it at all, considering Coburn was arbitration eligible?

Old
07-01-2010, 03:11 PM
lundqvistfan33

are we gonna end up losing staal? this has me seriously worried. heard somewhere that he turned down 4yrs @ 3.5 per.

Old
07-01-2010, 05:11 PM
reckoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundqvistfan33 View Post
are we gonna end up losing staal? this has me seriously worried. heard somewhere that he turned down 4yrs @ 3.5 per.
are you sure you just didn't hear anything?

Old
07-01-2010, 05:22 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoner View Post
I believe Brooks had those numbers

Old
07-01-2010, 05:24 PM
lundqvistfan33

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoner View Post
im pretty sure that i read that in this thread.

Old
07-01-2010, 05:24 PM
lundqvistfan33

but that doesnt answer my question. are we gonna end up losing him?

Old
07-01-2010, 05:41 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundqvistfan33 View Post
but that doesnt answer my question. are we gonna end up losing him?
No. Not under any (reasonable) circumstances. If some GM offer sheets him for $6m/yr, then maybe. But that's not going to happen.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
No. Not under any (reasonable) circumstances. If some GM offer sheets him for $6m/yr, then maybe. But that's not going to happen.
I like Staal, but that's a lot of draft picks/assets.

Old
07-01-2010, 07:15 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Would you trade Staal for 2 firsts, 1 second and 1 third? I doubt I would.

Old
07-01-2010, 07:17 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Yeah, but no one in their right mind will sign him for $6m per. I'd love the 3 firsts.

Closed Thread