HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Sign F Manny Malhotra to 3-Year, $7.5M Deal ($2.5m per, limited NTC)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Dado

vCash:
What's baffling is how often the "well SJ was offering $2.2M so it's not really overpayment" claim is being made.

The team we gloat about ripping off on Erhoff and is routinely mocked as a perennial underachiever is now a meanginful benchmark for UFA offers...?

Anyway, it's done.

Old
Slashy McSlewfoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
This is a pretty crazy contract, if you ask me.
It's on the high side BUT if the rumours are true he was offered 2.2 by the Sharks and several other teams inquired so the market was definitely there for him.

But I do agree there is potential here for ugliness should Malhotra have a bad stretch of games...people HATED Johnson and he made 1 mill. Malhotra makes a lot more than that so I'm assuming the expectations are going to be high. I expect name calling in the GDT's from the usual suspects when Malhotra has a bad game.

Old
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Formula to make EVERYONE happy.

Bernier 2million + hamhuis savings 500k = 2.5mil malholtra

would you rather have bernier or malholtra?

I'm aware of how flawed the logic is.
it's so flawed that it's perfect

Old
07-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
A NTC for a player that could conceivably be a 2.5 million dollar fourth liner in a couple years?
Here is Gillis' explanation - character players and felt strongly enough about them to offer the NTC's:
http://canucks.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=6&id=73535

Old
07-01-2010, 08:18 PM
The Big Foot

Glad to see Dado and Lostmyglasses are against the moves, big shocker there.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:19 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
as always

Old
07-01-2010, 08:20 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
It certainly isn't a shock to watch all of you automatons unable to pull your noses from Gillis butt long enough to think critically about giving this guy a NTC.

I could have predicted most of your opinions before any of the signings were announced: "I salute our money puck overlord!", "great signing!", "luv this signing",etc etc so on so on so forth.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
This is a pretty crazy contract, if you ask me.
Size and grit are far and away the most overvalued attributes in today's game - this is the price you pay to get harder to play against. It's the same thing with Keith Ballard.

Colby Armstrong made $3mil to put up Kyle Wellwood offense. Physical play doesn't come cheap.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:23 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Size and grit are far and away the most overvalued attributes in today's game - this is the price you pay to get harder to play against. It's the same thing with Keith Ballard.

Colby Armstrong made $3mil to put up Kyle Wellwood offense. Physical play doesn't come cheap.
If we are counting on Malholtra to bring the physical play and aggression, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

But, once again, Im not surprised people think Malholtra is physical. Many people around here are confused about the role physicality plays.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
It certainly isn't a shock to watch all of you automatons unable to pull your noses from Gillis butt long enough to think critically about giving this guy a NTC.
Well played lol.

Quote:
I could have predicted most of your opinions before any of the signings were announced: "I salute our money puck overlord!", "great signing!", "luv this signing",etc etc so on so on so forth.
I'm not really sold on the Malhotra signing either, overpaid by about 0.5 but yeah, it's the NTC that is the kicker. Hamhuis' NTC was par for the course given just about every other big name defenceman received one today.

I guess it's not perfect, but it does address a glaring hole on the team. At this point the team only really needs a third line LW similar to Malhotra and we're sitting pretty on paper at least. Hopefully Malhotra's contract will look better once the season starts.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
I don't see the limited NTC as a big deal. The Canucks should be Stanley cup contenders over the next 3 years and Malhotra is the exact type of player you need for a long playoff run. There's no reason for a playoff team to move a player like Malhotra.

The money is definately higher than ideal but that's the cost of getting him to move on from a good situation in San Jose.

John Madden was overpaid last year in Chicago. Doesn't mean it wasn't a solid signing.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:29 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:

John Madden was overpaid last year in Chicago. Doesn't mean it wasn't a solid signing.
For one year, not three. If Hodgson develops we will have a 2.5 million dollar fourth line center. With all the *****ing you did about Johnson, how much will you do about this contract in a year?

Old
07-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
If we are counting on Malholtra to bring the physical play and aggression, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

But, once again, Im not surprised people think Malholtra is physical. Many people around here are confused about the role physicality plays.
Since when is 6'2 220lbs not considered big? I never said he would bring aggression, I said he was big...

There wasn't a centreman out there available that was big, physical and could kill penalties. Who in your opinion would have been a better fit?

Old
07-01-2010, 08:32 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
It's on the high side BUT if the rumours are true he was offered 2.2 by the Sharks and several other teams inquired so the market was definitely there for him.

But I do agree there is potential here for ugliness should Malhotra have a bad stretch of games...people HATED Johnson and he made 1 mill. Malhotra makes a lot more than that so I'm assuming the expectations are going to be high. I expect name calling in the GDT's from the usual suspects when Malhotra has a bad game.
I was just thinking the same thing. Once Bieksa and Johnson are gone, people might target Malhotra as the fan favourite scapegoat.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
For one year, not three. If Hodgson develops we will have a 2.5 million dollar fourth line center. With all the *****ing you did about Johnson, how much will you do about this contract in a year?
Manny Malhotra has played a lot on the wing. I can't think of a better linemate for Hodgson than a guy that's big, skates well, can take faceoffs, kill penalties, do some heavy lifting in the corners and handle the defensive responsibilities on his line. This signing makes Hodgson's transition to the NHL MUCH easier.

Ryan Johnson's salary wasn't the problem - the fact he got destroyed like few other NHL players was. That's not a concern for Manny Malhotra - he has excellent goals for/against numbers over the last couple years and has played against good players to boot.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:37 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Manny Malhotra has played a lot on the wing. I can't think of a better linemate for Hodgson than a guy that's big, skates well, can take faceoffs, kill penalties, do some heavy lifting in the corners and handle the defensive responsibilities on his line. This signing makes Hodgson's transition to the NHL MUCH easier.
in fact if you watch Gillis' interview linked above, he specifically says that the fact that Malholtra can play centre or LW was a reason they targetted him, because it leaves space for "young players" (i.e. Hodgson) to still make the team.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:42 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:

Why would we trade Malhotra? I don't see the problem of giving someone a NTC that we're probably not going to trade anyway.

As Gillis said, he's a good character guy, and I'd like to see someone argue a player like him isn't needed on this team.

As long as you're not expecting him to be a top 6 player. Is there anyone expecting him to be a top 6 player?

07-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
in fact if you watch Gillis' interview linked above, he specifically says that the fact that Malholtra can play centre or LW was a reason they targetted him, because it leaves space for "young players" (i.e. Hodgson) to still make the team.
Yeah, it's why I didn't think it made any sense to invest good money on a 3rd liner that couldn't play centre like a Ladd or Armstrong. I thought Cullen or Malhotra would be the targets because of their versatility and the uncertainty regarding Hodgson.

What's the alternative here? Wait until the deadline and acquire a guy like Malhotra for another draft pick? The Canucks are paying a premium in salary for not having to add a centreman at the deadline over the next 3 years, barring injury.

You don't need excellent value out of every one of your contracts to be successful. The Canucks have such a great group of contracts they can afford to overpay a bit here IMO.

Ideally you get him for $2mil but obviously that wasn't going to happen with the Sharks apparently offering $2.2mil.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:44 PM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Why is the NTC such a big deal? They get waived all the time. Who cares? It doesn't make or break the deal.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:44 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Ideally you get him for $2mil but obviously that wasn't going to happen with the Sharks apparently offering $2.2mil.
Did they offer a NTC?

Old
07-01-2010, 08:46 PM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Did they offer a NTC?
Even if Malhotra turns out to be a bust, Mike Gillis has the option of waiving him and dumping his contract in the minors.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:46 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
What's baffling is how often the "well SJ was offering $2.2M so it's not really overpayment" claim is being made.

The team we gloat about ripping off on Erhoff and is routinely mocked as a perennial underachiever is now a meanginful benchmark for UFA offers...?

Anyway, it's done.
Being overpaid/underpaid is dictated by what his market value is during the offseason he's acquired in. We paid a premium of 300,000 over what other teams were offering. If Gillis thought he was what the team needed, I see no problem with throwing 300,000 extra at a player. What were you expecting us to use with that 300,000?

On the flipside we signed Hamhuis for at least 500,000 LESS than other teams were offering.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Even if Malhotra turns out to be a bust, Mike Gillis has the option of waiving him and dumping his contract in the minors.

Just thought I'd let you know.
Pretty much.

Think of it this way: IF Gillis was considering trading Malhotra within the next 3 years, it would mean he turned out to be a bust, which also means his already expensive contract turned out to be an AWFUL contract. Therefore, I doubt there would be any GM's interested in taking Malhotra in a trade, anyways. So really, even without the NTC, I think Gillis' only option would be waivers/buyout.

It's not a big deal.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:56 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Why didn't they buy out Johnson?

Old
07-01-2010, 08:57 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Did they offer a NTC?
Malhotra got a limited NTC. That means he gets to pick a list of teams he can be traded to. This doesn't prevent the Canucks from trading him at all.

Quote:
You don't need excellent value out of every one of your contracts to be successful. The Canucks have such a great group of contracts they can afford to overpay a bit here IMO.
I don't think Malhotra is overpaid (relative to his value to a team) considering what he brings to the table anyway.

Closed Thread