HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren has sent this organization spiraling downward

Old
07-01-2010, 09:32 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Holmgren has sent this organization spiraling downward

We're going to be paying for it starting in 2011-2012, and it'll get progressively worse. Too much money tied up in too few guys, guys are getting overpaid, and worst of all we won't have anyone to replace them. We won't have a 2nd round pick until 2013, but I know for a fact we won't have that pick when the 2013 draft rolls around. We're without any good young prospects in our system. This team is destined for destruction in a few years.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
We'll see.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

I wouldn't have cared about any of this if we had a goalie that could make routine saves. We all would've been at a parade a couple weeks ago. But you're right...the way things are going getting to game 6 was the closest we'll get with this assclown behind the wheel.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MountainHawk

Maybe the economy will miraculously recover, the cap will go up to $65.5M next year and all will be ok.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

It may be looking grim, but I don't know if the team will be completely destroyed. Today has been a gross day with contracts, but we may be being too dramatic.

While we're on the topic, any generational talents in upcoming drafts?

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JVR21
G

Yep, he's put us in a "win now, **** later" mode. Unfortunately, we're not going to be winning ****.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:37 PM
decadentia

I don't mean to be that guy, but do we need another thread? You made the open letter to Snider, and there's the signing of Shelley himself, then we have the Fire Holmgren thread...

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:37 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
We're going to be paying for it starting in 2011-2012, and it'll get progressively worse. Too much money tied up in too few guys, guys are getting overpaid, and worst of all we won't have anyone to replace them. We won't have a 2nd round pick until 2013, but I know for a fact we won't have that pick when the 2013 draft rolls around. We're without any good young prospects in our system. This team is destined for destruction in a few years.
May I borrow your avatar, forever?

Old
07-01-2010, 09:42 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
May I borrow your avatar, forever?
You may happily use it. I encourage the entire fan base to use it.

Old
07-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Yep, he's put us in a "win now, **** later" mode. Unfortunately, we're not going to be winning ****.
But even some of these moves don't scream "win now". Shelley is a waste of a roster spot, Leighton is an overpaid backup, Cote still on the roster...then possibly trading Gagne for the cap space to sign a goalie when you have $3M tied up in pure garbage...

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:43 PM
hockeyfreak7

Just shut the **** up already. Its 2010 and our team just made it to game 6 of the SCF. Nobody cares about 2013 because by that time, most of the team will be different.

Seriously, our team will be screwed in 2026 because JVR and Giroux will be getting ready to retire!

JUST STOP.

EDIT: And spiraling downward? Are you kidding me right now? Were a legitimate Stanley Cup contender right now...there is no "downward" as of right now, moron.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Just shut the **** up already. Its 2010 and our team just made it to game 6 of the SCF. Nobody cares about 2013 because by that time, most of the team will be different.

Seriously, our team will be screwed in 2026 because JVR and Giroux will be getting ready to retire!

JUST STOP.

EDIT: And spiraling downward? Are you kidding me right now? Were a legitimate Stanley Cup contender right now...there is no "downward" as of right now, moron.
This..

I understand the outrage But for ****s sake people get a grip.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Jumping

Well we have a long way to fall, seeing we were two wins away from winning the Stanley Cup.
I think Holmgren's earned some space.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:57 PM
TheLegendkiller

The season after next season will be different. The roster will be about 50% different but I know that Richards, Giroux, JVR, and Pronger will all still be there. That's potentially Timmonen, Gagne, Carter, Hartnell, and Briere going some place else which could mean numerous draft picks and good young prospects to pick up. Not saying it'll be awesome but we may get thrown alot of awesome **** in young players.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:59 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:

Funniest post of the year. Too bad voting for the Falcos is all over.

What was the name of the tournament the Flyers were just in again? Oh that's right! I believe it's called the something something Cup Final. Yup. Just awful. Worst team ever.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:59 PM
JCameron418

Spiraling downward is trading your first round draft pick for a winger which results in losing a 2nd overall pick. Relax folks. Its gonna be ok.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Nuclear

Don't we still have our 2011 2nd rounder?

Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:01 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
But even some of these moves don't scream "win now". Shelley is a waste of a roster spot, Leighton is an overpaid backup, Cote still on the roster...then possibly trading Gagne for the cap space to sign a goalie when you have $3M tied up in pure garbage...
And we have too much money tied up in defense at the moment when there are other wholes to fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
The season after next season will be different. The roster will be about 50% different but I know that Richards, Giroux, JVR, and Pronger will all still be there. That's potentially Timmonen, Gagne, Carter, Hartnell, and Briere going some place else which could mean numerous draft picks and good young prospects to pick up. Not saying it'll be awesome but we may get thrown alot of awesome **** in young players.
And how are you gettting those numerous draft picks??? We will have to give them up to move guys like Hartnell, Briere and Timonen by that point.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:01 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
Don't we still have our 2011 2nd rounder?
No, we don't have a second until 20****ing13

Old
07-01-2010, 10:05 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Look at the cap, in depth, and tell me that problems aren't on the horizon. Would you care to see our lineup going into 2011-2012 as it stands right now? Well here it is.

Hartnell-Richards-Briere
JVR-Betts-Laperriere
_____-_____-Shelley
_____-_____-_____

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Bartulis

Leighton
_____

Cap hit of 46.863M. Need to sign Giroux, Carter, Gagne, a goalie, and 2 more forwards. Let's say the cap goes up 1 million which is optimistic considering we're about to hit another wave of the recession. Tell me how we retain Carter and Giroux, let alone Gagne, and can ice a competent lineup throughout the rest of the team. Throw in the fact that Pronger, Timonen, Briere, and Laperriere will be decreasing in effectiveness, the future's bright. Thanks again Holmgren you ass.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
And we have too much money tied up in defense at the moment when there are other wholes to fill.

And how are you gettting those numerous draft picks??? We will have to give them up to move guys like Hartnell, Briere and Timonen by that point.

The Sens just took a Gonchar that was on the decline for 3 years. If he got a deal like that a guy like Timonen will definately be worth picks and prospects to other teams. Same with Hartnell, Briere and whoever. There will always be some team willing to take those guys.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
flyersfan1221

Ditto

flyersfan1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

the way big market teams will throw their money around down the line is in buyouts. above average markets can spend up to the cap and invest in player development and coaching but only the rangers, toronto, philly, detroit, et al can afford to can guys. if it comes down to a situation where a guy CANNOT be unloaded, that will happen. not ideal, but also not the end of the world.

looking around though, where are the albatrosses?

our top two centers COMBINED make one of the penguins' does and while one for one they are not as good, together, yes, i would take the two of them over one guy there.

briere and timonen's contracts looked AWFUL, timonen's has turned out OK and is now tradeable. briere's thing was front-loaded, that is in part to facilitate trade or buyout at the back end though don't ask me to defend it further because i hated that signing (though it's been nice having him score HUGE goals).

gagne is barely even under contract, he signed a fair deal under clarke and as great of a flyer as he's been one could just as easily criticize a longer deal all things considered.

pronger we may have overreached on but let's whine about if/when the times comes.

carle is earning his check, coburn will probably do the same, neither guy is signed a hundred years out.

hartnell's deal was a little too long, oh well, that could have gone either way, again that reactionary year was a turbulent one where we went from terrible to conference finals, some eggs had to get cracked there.

i've pretty much run through every significant salary on the team and found two bad deals. i'm sure your open letter will read like george costanza telling steinbrenner how he could get bonds and griffey without costing the yankees "that much."

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:14 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Look at the cap, in depth, and tell me that problems aren't on the horizon. Would you care to see our lineup going into 2011-2012 as it stands right now? Well here it is.

Hartnell-Richards-Briere
JVR-Betts-Laperriere
_____-_____-Shelley
_____-_____-_____

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Bartulis

Leighton
_____

Cap hit of 46.863M. Need to sign Giroux, Carter, Gagne, a goalie, and 2 more forwards. Let's say the cap goes up 1 million which is optimistic considering we're about to hit another wave of the recession. Tell me how we retain Carter and Giroux, let alone Gagne, and can ice a competent lineup throughout the rest of the team. Throw in the fact that Pronger, Timonen, Briere, and Laperriere will be decreasing in effectiveness, the future's bright. Thanks again Holmgren you ass.
And youre an idiot if you think that the Flyers management doesnt realize this.

This is July ****ing 1st. The ******* FIRST day of free agency, and you are already complaining about problems next free agency season.

There WILL obviously be a trade. We built a team with ridiculous depth, at some point that team is going to have to be disassembled.

What the **** did you expect? The bigger they are, the harder they fall. It isnt possible to keep 3 scoring lines and 5 top four defenseman together for an extended period of time.

At least let Holmgren get some time to fix the situation before you ***** about it...like I said, we might as well complain about the year 2025 because we have 0 (ZERO!) players under contract...

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
The Sens just took a Gonchar that was on the decline for 3 years. If he got a deal like that a guy like Timonen will definately be worth picks and prospects to other teams. Same with Hartnell, Briere and whoever. There will always be some team willing to take those guys.
Timonen is movable but he is also valuable, I don't like that.

If you are correct, I'd much sooner GIVE Hartnell away and even Briere as much as it pains me to say. Unfortunately Hartnell has an NTC and his contract is pretty unattractive even without it and Briere is just frightening to teams, he was waived once and shopped several times already, no takers.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote