HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

2010-11 Lineup Projections

Old
07-01-2010, 05:59 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
2010-11 Lineup Projections

I know there is one too many forwards. I know the depth chart is disorganized but where am I wrong on this? Numbers and RFA QO's calculated by Capgeek.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:01 PM
glenngineer

You're wrong. I didn't even read your post, just telling you what you wanted to hear.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:04 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
You're wrong. I didn't even read your post, just telling you what you wanted to hear.
I love you too Glenn.

Damn, why isn't firefox correcting Love, it sounds like love but aint.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:08 PM
glenngineer

Well, there are a few possibilities.

SK doesn't sign here, giving us 14 forwards.

Someone is either traded, released or waived. I have a funny feeling there is a guy or two that will either sink or swim for a spot. Not sure who just yet but it's time for guys to step up if they want a career in the NHL.

Old
07-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Jarnberg

Assuming we actually sign SK and with the Andersson signing, we will have too many forwards. My guess is O'Reilly is waived (and picked up) and Tootoo is traded.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:06 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Assuming we actually sign SK and with the Andersson signing, we will have too many forwards. My guess is O'Reilly is waived (and picked up) and Tootoo is traded.
Why would we have re-signed Tootoo to only trade him? This should never be a reason for keeping someone on a team but he is easily the face of the franchise. He is the most well known of the players and the fans love him. There was no reason to keep him if we were going to trade him off. He's also the only guy on the team that will drop the gloves when Belak is not dressed. Unless we find a guy that can fill that role he's not going anywhere any time soon.

Old
07-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Why would we have re-signed Tootoo to only trade him? This should never be a reason for keeping someone on a team but he is easily the face of the franchise. He is the most well known of the players and the fans love him. There was no reason to keep him if we were going to trade him off. He's also the only guy on the team that will drop the gloves when Belak is not dressed. Unless we find a guy that can fill that role he's not going anywhere any time soon.
Forgot he was signed for two years (thought he was a FA next season). He probably won't be traded then.

Looking at possible line combinations, I struggle to see where he fits in on this team next season.

As for our lineup, that is a significant step back from last season, unless alot of pieces fall together.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:39 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

None of it is wrong... that team just sucks.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
None of it is wrong... that team just sucks.
That lineup sucks. This team has potential...

Sullivan - Wilson - Hornqvist
Kostitsyn - Legwand - Erat
Andersson - O'Reilly - Dumont
Ward - Goc - Tootoo
Spaling - Smithson - Belak

Last edited by Seth Lake: 07-01-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:24 PM
oreilly22

One thing I'd like to know is if David Poile and Jason Arnott sat down and mutually agreed that they are better off going another direction, what direction is that exactly? Are we going to be losin' for Larsson/staying at the cap floorier for Coutourier/hoping for Hopkins, booking on Rads coming back, or trading for a real 1st line center?

I hate to sound negative, but it looks like this is an attempt to get our Patrick Kane/Jonathan Toews.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Legionnaire11

I'm always disappointed that we don't sign the big talent, seems like we're a team that is forever searching for the "missing link". But i'm still excited about next season. Especially if we go with Seth's projections and roll a 3rd scoring line, let O'Reilly show his playmaking skills, don't force Dumont into a checking roll but still limit his minutes.

Also, even though there is no top end talent (yet to be seen if SK blossoms) We actually seem to have some scoring depth on the lines. If a top 6 guy goes down, we have guys on the 3rd line who can be a decent fill in and then go back to 2 scoring lines and 2 checking lines.

Questions on defense, but I think enough potential that someone or multiple players will step up and be good enough to carry the load. If Blum and Parent can take a step forward this season it would be HUGE. We know what we have in Weber, Suter and Cube. Klein and Franson may not progress enough to lock down the #3 spot, but as long as they don't get worse then they should be good enough.

And of course, there is still a good chance that Poile adds another piece or two to the mix so that we aren't counting on Cal and the rookie D-men.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:40 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

Ward - Goc - Tootoo
This is my problem with how the forward corps is built. Yeah it has potential. It also could just as easily be very bad as well. Looks like Poile is going with the throw a bunch of **** until some of it sticks method. Only time will tell if that was a smart move...

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
This is my problem with how the forward corps is built. Yeah it has potential. It also could just as easily be very bad as well. Looks like Poile is going with the throw a bunch of **** until some of it sticks method. Only time will tell if that was a smart move...
Wilson replaces Arnott and steps into the scoring line center role he needs to excel. He's not expected to be Arnott. He's expected to be Colin Wilson.

Quick side-track...folks the Preds were finalists for the last two biggest trades to go down in the NHL. They put together a great package for both deals, but didn't get their man because the other team demanded Colin Wilson and the Predators refused. Honestly, I don't blame them. Give the kid a chance...

Kostitsyn provides Legwand and Erat with their most skilled linemate since Kariya and we all remember what happened then...11 and 10 had career years with 9 on their wing...SK creates using his speed and skill. He is a great playmaker, but can finish as well. Sounds a lot like Kariya to me...

Andersson provides depth for a third scoring line and like Kostitsyn is known for creating opportunities using his skill and speed. All three lines have a guy that will create offense using speed and skill. Great shot and a bigger body to boot. I think Andersson has a good chance at earning an extension by season's end...

Most teams would kill to have Ward and Goc on their checking line because of their two-way ability, grit, and attention to detail. Tootoo is our agitator.

Personally, the one guy I'm not convinced on yet is O'Reilly, but if he makes it to opening night...he's gonna get a chance to succeed and I think he has all the motivation in the world to do so. So, while that is the one real area I'd like Poile to address...I'm not exactly calling for his head if he doesn't.

At least 90% of our opening night roster is currently on the team. I think if anything, the two spots that are up for grabs are 3rd line center and veteran depth defenseman. I'm not holding my breath for Kovalchuk, Frolov, or Lombardi...

Old
07-02-2010, 12:57 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

Ward - Goc - Tootoo
There's so much uncertainty in that lineup, though. Every center except Goc has major questions, whether it's age/experience or ability. Kostitsyn and Andersson are being thrust into roles they probably aren't ready for, and that's assuming that they play for us at all.

If those things fall through, we're depending on our first line to deliver the goods. Interesting note: no player in the Predators' 11 NHL seasons has ever scored 30 goals twice. Which means, in short, we're probably torched if we have more than one player who fails to meet your expectations.

All it takes is one good free agent forward who can score 20 goals and things change dramatically. We go from:

20-15-30
15 (and that's pretty generous for Kostitsyn)-12-20
10-10-15
10-10-6

... to...

20-15-30
20-12-20
15-10-15
10-10-6

For a team like us, that extra five goals could mean as much as ten points' difference in the standings. It takes the pressure off of Kostitsyn and Andersson to produce, which is especially key for Kostitsyn, who hasn't scored 15 goals for any one team since he left London, and hasn't scored 15 combined at the AHL and NHL levels since his rookie year. It makes us tougher to match up against defensively, and it might also just get Legwand going offensively. If we can do that and get 15-18 goals out of him, that would make us a definite playoff team if our goaltending holds out.

As things stand right now, our season will ride almost entirely on the shoulders of Rinne to win us a lot of 1-0 and 2-1 games, and he's probably going to face quite a few shots each night. Those results almost never go in our favor...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:57 AM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
I really don't think that you're being overly generous with SKost! He really does have the talent to be a great top 6 forward, maybe Trotz- who I still consider to be one of the league's best coaches- can meld him into the shape that fits his mould.
God, I am so poetic.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:13 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

it's not the forwards I'm worried about. Bouillon is 35 years old and has never averaged 17 minutes a game for a season, I doubt he's as good this season as last season, he's at the end of his career. Klein has all the talent in the world but hasn't been able to put it together yet. I love Franson, but he made a lot of mistakes last season, can he put it together? Sulzer, maybe the injury is better and he can put it together to be solid.

Laakso, Blum - I think these are our best shot. We'll see.

Weber and Suter don't have the Olympics this season so maybe they can eat up more minutes. That will help and scary thing is, they'll both be better this season. If Suter continues at the pace of improvement he made last season we might have 2 highly elite defensemen. It's the rest that scare me.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:07 AM
deanwormer

We tied for 7th in the league last year in wins.... we had the 24th ranked PP and 28th ranked PK..... 18th in total goals, 14th in goals against.... 11th in 5-on-5......

Wilson scored 8 in 35 games - he's gotta' replace Arnie's 19 - not a stretch to assume it'll happen. We add SK and Andersson and O'reilly to a lineup replacing Smitty and the spots Wilson shared with all the kids like Santorelli and Boyd. Smitty had 9, Wilson and Scatch and Boyd and Jones etal look like they come to low 20s. Doesn't seem like we're really needing these guys to score a ton to replace roughly 30 goals which would put us back where we were last year, which while I'm not thrilled with it, was enough to get us to the 7th best win total in the league.

The problems are still the PK and PP; losing Hammer hurts the PK considerably, but hopefully Parent picks up some of that, but if we go with a lineup that scratches Smitty then we got more trouble with that.

Guys that'll be the type to "fix" a PK problem are the type I think Poile is great at finding, and they don't need to score a ton to keep us goal-neutral, so I'm hopeful there. My gripe is still - What the heck they gonna' do to fix the PP? SK has some talent, and O'reilly maybe, but that's one place where Arnie helped a lot (6g,12a). Don't think that help is out there as a FA (at least in our price range) I think that's one where Poile takes a decent asset such as a Ward and puts him with a couple prospects and we get a more talented guy back. Short of that?????? guess we hope arnie leaving gets those guys listening more to what they're trying to coach on the PP.....

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:07 PM
token grinder

whoo knows, with a pk ranked 28th, maybe he was part of the problem?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:48 PM
MarkMM

I agree with the sentiment that the moves can be a huge help, or they may fire blanks. But frankly, that's the reality of trying to be a contender on a budget, and within that constraint, Poile is doing a solid job.

To put things in perspective, look at Calgary. They spend loads more than you do but I'd take your team and management (and fans, lol) 11 times out of 10.

Kostitsyn and Andersson are long-shots with high upsides, and that's exactly the bets you have to place when you've got limited cash to gamble. It should be encouraging that Poile isn't willing to just sign the safe players and hope not to lose too badly, he's willing to lose badly as long as he gives his team a chance to win big, and that's admirable.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:57 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Hornqvist/Wilson/Erat
Sully/Legwand/Dumont (sorry, still not convinced SK gets signed)
Andersson/Goc/Ward
Spaling/Smithson/Tootoo

Weber/Suter
Klein/Cube
Parent/(Franson-Blum)

If SK pulls his head from his butt and fits in
Hornqvist/Wilson/Sullivan
SK/Legwand/Erat .... at least as an experiment.

O'Reilly as trade bait .... Geoffrion with a shot to make the roster during camp .....

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:12 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
O'Reilly Sulzer, Laakso, Goc if another center comesas trade bait
Bolded for intepetation.

Old
07-02-2010, 01:20 PM
lightning_legwand*

We had a better team last year than this upcoming year.

I thought Poile would try to make us better from last season, not worse....

I sure as heck hope he isn't done wheeling and dealing.

Package Dumont, O'reilly/whoever! and a pick/prospect and get us some talent!!!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:00 PM
MrJoshua

I guess I'm missing something, but I don't understand why everyone is so eager to trade Dumont. Hasn't he consistently been one of the leading point producers on the team since arriving in Nashville? He has a propensity to get caught with his head down and take some big hits, yeah, and he can be a defensive liability but he's one of the best offensive talents on the team. If you're looking for more offense, Dumont doesn't seem like the best guy to be getting rid of...

MrJoshua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:30 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Hornqvist/Wilson/Erat
Andersson/Goc/Ward
Spaling/Smithson/Tootoo

Weber/Suter
Klein/Cube
Parent/(Franson-Blum)

O'Reilly as trade bait .... Geoffrion with a shot to make the roster during camp .....
I like most of what your stating with the lines. But Legwand and Erat doesn't mix at all. Will Trotz play Dumont on a top 6 line? He doesn't actually like him. I like him but it's time for him to move on if he would ok it. You like Legwand a lot more than I do. I agree trading O'Reilly. He's a poor man's Sully with no scoring touch. I think a pkg of O'Reilly and Franson would bring something worth bringing back. Then Blum and Laasko and Sulzer could fill in for Franson who is way too slow.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Hornqvist/Wilson/Erat
Andersson/Goc/Ward
Spaling/Smithson/Tootoo

Weber/Suter
Klein/Cube
Parent/(Franson-Blum)

In discussions last night on Twitter, I've realigned my lineup similar to yours, but I do believe that SK will be signed and be given a top-six role in training camp. Obviously, that is a key piece to the puzzle...

Andersson - Goc - Dumont
Ward - Smithson - Tootoo
Belak - O'Reilly

I think it's incumbent upon O'Reilly to force his way into the lineup in training camp (if he is not shipped off before then), but much more realistic to have Smithson in any projected lineup due to his role as our chief penalty-killing forward and also his use as a key faceoff man. I have no doubt this is Smithson's final year in Nashville (he is UFA at season's end), but I can't see him being a healthy scratch to start the year unless he is completely outplayed for the position in camp. If O'Reilly is still on the roster, Spaling starts the year in Milwaukee and I'm fine with that...he still has a lot to prove and can hopefully find some success offensively at the pro level reunited with his former junior linemate Matt Halischuk.

Also, I want to point out one of my reasons for optimism that both SK and Andersson can step into the lineup and succeed better than Jones or Hornqvist did two seasons ago when they were thrust into roles they clearly weren't ready for. SK has been an NHL player with moderate success as a skill player playing with largely bottom six guys (Moen was his linemate for much of last season in Montreal) for three seasons already. He knows what it takes to succeed in the NHL and has shown when elevated in the lineup that he can produce. He is not Ryan Jones coming out of college and trying to jump straight to the NHL after minimal games of pro experience in the AHL. And Andersson is a player who has played NHL/AHL/IHL hockey in the past and was considered a bust relative to his draft position and expectations, however he and his game have matured since then playing against men in Europe and he shined as one of Sweden's best players at the recent World Championships against men. This is not Hornqvist, who as a rookie in the SEL broke Peter Forsberg's record, but had no experience in North American hockey and hadn't played on the world stage against men, but rather against players of his own age.

I see the comparisons to the Jones/Hornqvist experiment and can understand the frustration with those that rightfully point out that that was a failure. However, I think that penciling Kostitsyn and Andersson have a much greater chance for success than I think even the biggest optimist among us thought Jones and Hornqvist would have entering the season in Nashville (even I did not think they were ready for the jump and thought it was a mistake).