HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Clarkson Signs 3 Year Deal At 2.666 Cap Hit

Old
06-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
"I believe in Mr. Lamoriello. He's done a lot for me, so whatever way he leads I'll follow," Clarkson said. "I'm sure we're going to get this ball rolling in the right direction and start showing teams we're one of the top teams for a reason."

LMAO!

Whatever way he leads, I'll follow.

David, kill yourself.

Ok, sir! Any particular way you want it done?

Surprise me!

You got it!

*takes Lou's hands and chokes himself*

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:16 PM
RNCDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
This deal bought out two UFA years. Fair market value if you ask me.

Only complaint you could have is that Lou should have signed him for one year. But if he does that and Clarkson has a career 10-11 we probably end up losing him.

EDIT: The cap is what, $59M? Clarkson has the mean salary based on a team with a 23 man roster. Anyone who has a problem with that should re-evaluate the situation.
As I've stated before, I do have a problem with it. You know salary v. talent distributions are not linearly (may not be the right term) distributed. They are going to be skewed with more talent being exponentially compensated. Thus median players should be making less than the arithmetic mean in my opinion. So if I saw $2M, I wouldn't have an issue. Now, Clarkson putting up 50 points would totally justify 2.6 or even 3+. What gave me pause was his playoff run. TG's article noted that Clarkson said he was still feeling the leg during the playoffs. That actually made me happy. Perhaps he'll show up in the playoffs and I'll have to admit it was a good value-nothing would make me happier.

RNCDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Semak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNCDevil View Post
TG's article noted that Clarkson said he was still feeling the leg during the playoffs. That actually made me happy. Perhaps he'll show up in the playoffs and I'll have to admit it was a good value-nothing would make me happier.
This. And the Clarkson we saw in the POs was not the one we've gotten to know. By the time he came back this team moral and lines were a mess. For anyone to base their opinion on Clarkson by citing this years POs is not a fair judgment. He played well in the '09 POs.

Semak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Stevens 4

I like this deal, glad to have him locked up for 3 more season. Before he was hurt he was flying out there and on pace for a career year, I hope he stays healthy and has a great season.

Stevens 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNCDevil View Post
As I've stated before, I do have a problem with it. You know salary v. talent distributions are not linearly (may not be the right term) distributed. They are going to be skewed with more talent being exponentially compensated. Thus median players should be making less than the arithmetic mean in my opinion. So if I saw $2M, I wouldn't have an issue. Now, Clarkson putting up 50 points would totally justify 2.6 or even 3+. What gave me pause was his playoff run. TG's article noted that Clarkson said he was still feeling the leg during the playoffs. That actually made me happy. Perhaps he'll show up in the playoffs and I'll have to admit it was a good value-nothing would make me happier.
Yes, salary v. talent is probably convex graphically. However the fourth line, the three extras, and at least one defenseman is probably guaranteed to make below $1M. I suspect one player in the top nine will earn less than $1M as well. So we are obtaining surplus value elsewhere.

The playoff "run" was just five games. I'm not sure you can glean anything about Clarkson from that.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I'm still very pleased that we have Clarkie locked up for at least 3 years now. It was coming eventually, but still a good signing by Lou. One less thing to worry about.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 12:54 AM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I'm still very pleased that we have Clarkie locked up for at least 3 years now. It was coming eventually, but still a good signing by Lou. One less thing to worry about.
I second this.

Clarktard is pretty much a staple of this team now.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:51 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

If clarkson doesn't break his leg again, he'll score 20-25 goals (possibly more, if the 3rd line clicks or he gets boosted to the 2nd line) and provide lots of grit. I think we got him for a bargain (this year isn't quite a bargain, but the next two are). Maybe a lot of you guys didn't see how nasty he was at the beginning of the season, but it was OBVIOUS that he wasn't fully healed during the playoffs, and, knowing how hard he works during the offseason, he'll be even better this season.

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:26 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Clarkson is a pimp. I'm glad the goal scoring and occasional ass-beatings are going to continue.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Hypernova

Send a message via AIM to Hypernova
I'm so glad Clarkie signed. Now the $100 dollars I spent on his jersey wasn't a complete waste. Plus, he's a beast.

Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:47 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jersey Devil View Post
I'm so glad Clarkie signed. Now the $100 dollars I spent on his jersey wasn't a complete waste. Plus, he's a beast.
now I have to get a clarkson jersey...

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 06:32 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

This was in our paper this morning - thought you guys might like to read it (the rest of the story is on the website).

http://news.therecord.com/News/Local/article/726583

Quote:
WATERLOO REGION — As an NHL player, David Clarkson doesn’t flinch from hard skating and tough opponents.

But there’s one adversary making the New Jersey Devils and former Kitchener Rangers player nervous — a bike.

Clarkson is going to face his two-wheeled foe later this summer in the Ride with Lance fundraiser for local cancer care.

Not only will he be tackling the 120-kilometre route through the region’s countryside alongside serious cycling enthusiasts registered for the charitable event, but also seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong. Although Clarkson has little interest in the sport of cycling, he’s a big fan of cycling star and cancer survivor Armstrong.

“I’m excited about meeting him because of what he’s been through himself,” he said. “He’s an icon in the world, so it will be kind of special for me to meet him.”

The money Clarkson raises will be earmarked for a program he started two years ago while playing for the Rangers in Kitchener called Clarky’s Kids. Children in the local satellite clinic of POGO (the Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario) have the fun of watching a Rangers game and meeting players and coaches, and there’s financial support for families and siblings dealing with a child who has cancer.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote