HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks re-sign (1yr each) Wallin ($2.5m), Nichol ($760k), Desjardins ($500k)

Old
07-02-2010, 02:52 AM
Janney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The over 35 rule only applies to the cap number and only on multi-year contracts. As Wallin is for a single year, sending him to Worcester will erase his number from the cap. He will still get paid 2.5 mil over the life of the deal because he's on a one-way contract like most NHL'ers at his age.

If we're going to grab a defenseman, it's going to come through the trade market and I'm not liking what those possibilities are. We're looking at either Sheldon Souray or Tomas Kaberle with a very outside chance at Andrei Markov. Neither of which are appealing given the circumstances.
Wait so if Wallin is sent down to the minors, he won't effect the cap?

That's what I've been thinking about ever since I heard we signed him. What if while in talks of his contract DW told Wallin, "hey look we plan on playing you for a little bit, then keeping you in the minors. So that's why we're going to give you this extra cash." We won't be worried about losing him on waivers because honestly what team would want his salary, or even half his salary when he goes on re-entry.

If there's anyone with more insight on this, I'm very curious, I'd really like to know. DW has made some questionable moves, but I doubt he signed Wallin at 2.5 because he really thought him to be that great of a player.

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Tealblood

vCash: 500
LOL, tell a guy he's going to the minors mid-season and expect him to sign a contract. Good one.

He gets waived, spends the rest of his season in the minors and ooooh he made 1m more than he would have otherwise. Actually no, next season other teams would wonder why he spent the season in the ahl, and good luck finding a decent contract after that. Teams would want cheap two-ways if anything in case he's gone downhill. Thus he loses money longterm.

Unless of course he had no ego whatsoever and thought this was going to be his last season so might as well make 1m and then retire. He's not that old.

DW has overvalued his own players plenty of times. A lot of people complained about murray getting 2.5, he was a 3rd pair at the time. People complained when carle made 3m+ before he had earned it. That's all I can think of at 3 am but I can add more later, Didn't bernier make more than he deserved as well? I forget. But he definitely has overvalued his guys quite a bit.

I'd think that'd mean we keep similar teams together with no major changes, since guys are getting the money they want, but no it actually ends up meaning more guys get shipped out when we do want slight changes.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote