HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Thoughts on Matt Cullen? (for a Sens Fan)

Old
05-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

vCash: 500
Thoughts on Matt Cullen? (for a Sens Fan)

Any chance you might be willing to share some thoughts on Matt Cullen for a sens fan?
Senators seem to be looking to re-sign him. He played well from what we've seen, but we didn't really see that much and a lot of guys turn up their game in a contract year or right after a trade.

What are your thoughts on his game? Strengths? Weaknesses?

How much do you think he's worth on a contract?

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 03:25 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

One of the most versatile forwards in the league, def worth around 3 million. He isn't really weak aside from not being physical but he takes face offs, kills penalties, and knows how to run a power play with a great shot. He may try to toe drag way too often but he was worth every penny we paid him. I think he still has 60 point potential.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:44 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave View Post
One of the most versatile forwards in the league, def worth around 3 million. He isn't really weak aside from not being physical but he takes face offs, kills penalties, and knows how to run a power play with a great shot. He may try to toe drag way too often but he was worth every penny we paid him. I think he still has 60 point potential.
This. Versatility is his game. He's very streaky but he generally gets it going when it matters. Great third line center who makes a great part time 2nd line centre for injuries, etc. Plays in all situations, great hands, good playmaker, good stick, skates well. He lacks physicality and has some injury history. When Staal was moved to the wing, he made a good 1st line centre for a couple games. He'd look good behind Fisher and Spezza, and can fill in the void when one of them drops to injuries, but don't get under the impression that he's a true 2nd line centre. Consistency holds him back from that.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 11:07 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

First two replies pretty much cover everything. Cullen definitely deserves 2-3 million depending on the length of his contract.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 10:56 AM
totalkev

One last thing I'd like to add to the first two posts (which are pretty much spot-on), Cullen is a hockey player. He a team-first guy who doesn't complain, he's a good man with a great family, and he gives 100% on every shift. He's never worn a letter, but that may be due more to moving around from team-to-team every few seasons, but he's definitely a guy you want on your team and in your locker room.

Having said all that, at 34, you're stretching it to expect anything north of 20 goals/50 points, so pay accordingly.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

I like'em

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Gonna bump this up. Wild signed him today and I think we'd all appreciate your opinions.

Anybody got anything to add?

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:59 PM
WWAD

I think others summed him up pretty well. Bit of an overpayment, but you are going to be very happy with him.

Probably 10 teams would have given him 2.5 - 3 mil a year, so I guess someone had to beat them out.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:08 PM
snakepliskin

solid player on ice and in lockerroom

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:59 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

too much coin for my taste but its hard to ignore the fact that he is uber verstile and is a free agent at the right time. Only a handful of centers on the market this offseason can play anywhere near the top 9 and play special teams. You paid top dollar in a thin market....never a good combo, but every good team needs a guy like Matty.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:48 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Really solid guy, good at pretty much all parts of the game if not great at anything. Players like Cullen simply make you a better team, it's as simple as that.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote