HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign F Jeff Tambellini to a 1-Year Deal, $500,000 (Two-Way Deal)

Old
07-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Pascha

vCash: 500
I really really like this signing. The boy loves Vancouver, and like someone else said if he can't turn his career around here then he'll be a minor leaguer for life. He probably starts in Manitoba.

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:01 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
Will playing with better players make him better in his own zone? Will it stop him from being a perimeter player? Will it make him stop floating? He'll get an extra goal or two because of the added space but he still will not be anything more than a career AHLer/fringe NHLer. Hopefully I'm wrong because he seems like a real good kid who has his head screwed on straight but personally I just don't see it.
The jokes on you because thats the exact kind of forward we like 'round these parts.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:08 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
The jokes on you because thats the exact kind of forward we like 'round these parts.
That's because Cam Neely type forwards come out of the draft every year. There aren't exactly a ton of top end talent with top notch grit in this league, obviously I'd love one on my team.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/statistics/?sh...7&sortdir=desc

Doesn't exactly point out a lot of players in that category as well.

BerSTUzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:15 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
That's because Cam Neely type forwards come out of the draft every year. There aren't exactly a ton of top end talent with top notch grit in this league, obviously I'd love one on my team.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/statistics/?sh...7&sortdir=desc

Doesn't exactly point out a lot of players in that category as well.
All I hear, almost every day, is how these big tough players aren't to be drafted, it simply isn't worth while. Then, I hear, you've got to wait until FA season to sign these big players. Then, when FA season comes around, they are 'too expensive".

Old
07-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Please make a list of Canuck forwards that could be considered 'perimeter players'.

The Canucks add 2 defensemen that like to throw big hits, a 4th line winger with a ton of size that likes to throw the body and replace Kyle Wellwood with Manny Malhotra and you keep crying about what a 'soft' team Gillis is assembling? And you wonder why your opinions are so quickly dismissed?

I can only imagine the endless waterworks coming from you if you were a Blackhawk fan. You would have been on suicide watch after Eager, Byfuglien and Ladd were shipped out of town.

Seriously, at what point do you just admit no matter what the team looks like you'll just complain they're not 'tough' enough?

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:19 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
All I hear, almost every day, is how these big tough players aren't to be drafted, it simply isn't worth while. Then, I hear, you've got to wait until FA season to sign these big players. Then, when FA season comes around, they are 'too expensive".
Who in this FA class fit the category? I'm all for drafting some power forwards, I think the organization needs one or two. I just didn't see a single player in the FA class that even comes close to what you or anyone wants at the PF position.

Tamby fits a niche for a player to replace a Raymond or Sammy if they get hurt. In addition, he really contributes to Moose in the fact he is more than a point a game player in the AHL. I do not want a player like him on my 3rd line.

Old
07-02-2010, 11:20 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

Seriously, at what point do you just admit no matter what the team looks like you'll just complain they're not 'tough' enough?
At what point, after getting knocked out of our last 3 playoff series by bigger, meaner, rougher, and tougher teams are you going to admit this top 6 needs a bit of aggression, meanness, toughness, etc?

Old
07-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Reign Nateo

Best case he makes the team and carves a niche on the the bottom six. Tambellini - Malhotra - Hansen could be an interesting line. Maybe he's the next Vernon Fiddler? Came up as a scorer, took a while and developed into a pretty decent checking line player for Nashville and Phoenix.

Worst case he scores some goals for the Moose with Schroeder/Hodgson.

Don't see a problem with this deal at all. I like it.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Pascha

Quote:
At what point, after getting knocked out of our last 3 playoff series by bigger, meaner, rougher, and tougher teams are you going to admit this top 6 needs a bit of aggression, meanness, toughness, etc?
Who was available in FA that would have fit the bill to slot into our top 6 and provide the toughness that you think we need? I think Gillis is happy with our top 6, and wants the bottom 6 and defense (with the additions of Hamhuis and Ballard) to provide that edge.

Old
07-02-2010, 11:29 AM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascha View Post
Who was available in FA that would have fit the bill to slot into our top 6 and provide the toughness that you think we need? I think Gillis is happy with our top 6, and wants the bottom 6 and defense (with the additions of Hamhuis and Ballard) to provide that edge.
Definitely. I think we have added a lot of competitiveness in the past week. I don't think its just size we need either, it's about getting guys who want to pull together and play tough as a team. That's what Chicago had (so nice to say "had" instead of "has").
We have a good top 6, just cause there's no Cam Neely there doesn't mean they aren't tough and hard to play against. Sammy was a lot more gritty than anyone expected, as well as Raymond. Anyone who still thinks the Sedins are weak doesn't watch hockey. And Kesler and Burrows are heart and soul guys.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:29 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:

Currently there is not team in the West that you speak of that was in the top 8 this year. The only team in the east you speak of is Philly, Was outside of Ovy do not hit. I don't think anyone is against anything you have stated in what this team needs in the bottom 6. I just don't know who you can acquire that meets your needs in the top 6, that is available.

Ladd is gone and CHI would not have traded with us
Buff see Ladd
Hartnell was so effective with Briere he isn't going anywhere
Iggy will never be traded here
Nash see Iggy
Franzen is the only big forward for Det
Lucic will not leave Bos until FA season, would LOVE him but not happening for multiple years

Old
07-02-2010, 11:31 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Currently
Season starts in October. Better get on your knees and pray, that for the fourth time in a row, we don't run into a big, tough, mean team that likes to play physical, because history has shown it will end in defeat.

The Canucks top 6 cannot excel in a physical playoff series, they cannot do the things necessary in order to win in that kind of game.

But, once again, hopefully we run into four super small, skilled teams, or four young teams with no playoff experience like LA or ST. Louis.

Old
07-02-2010, 11:36 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Season starts in October. Better get on your knees and pray, that for the fourth time in a row, we don't run into a big, tough, mean team that likes to play physical, because history has shown it will end in defeat.

The Canucks top 6 cannot excel in a physical playoff series, they cannot do the things necessary in order to win in that kind of game.

But, once again, hopefully we run into four super small, skilled teams, or four young teams with no playoff experience like LA or ST. Louis.
Maybe but who do you want on this team? I don't me just any random 6'3 200lb player, who do you think is actually available?

Old
07-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Pascha

Don't forget that he has to be skilled enough to play in our top 6, and we have to be able to fit him into our salary structure.

I just don't see it.

Old
07-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
And you came to this conclusion after a playoff exit in which the Canucks were the highest scoring team in the playoffs and the best at even strength as well? Interesting analysis to say the least. Especially when you consider how well the top 6 did against a big, physical Kings defense yet struggled against a pillow soft Chicago blueline - the least physical blueline in these playoffs by a country mile.

The Canucks couldn't kill penalties or hide their useless 'tough' players against the Hawks and that was their downfall. The fact Gillis is removing the weak penalty killers and defensemen that couldn't get the job done is a huge improvement.

I still think it's hilarous that you're criticizing Gillis for bringing in personnel that make the team bigger and harder to play against. It's like a nervous tick that you can't seem to shake.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Who do you want? Which players do you specifically think the Canucks can/could've feasibly target/ed? What players fit your criteria of rugged and tough but sufficiently skilled?

Give me names.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:13 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
anybody criticizing this signing needs to get his/her head examined. It's a zero risk signing, with a (albeit small) chance of turning into a home run. Add the hometown aspect and you have the ideal situation of a young player that's having a carrot dangled in front of him.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:19 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
And you came to this conclusion after a playoff exit in which the Canucks were the highest scoring team in the playoffs and the best at even strength as well? Interesting analysis to say the least. Especially when you consider how well the top 6 did against a big, physical Kings defense yet struggled against a pillow soft Chicago blueline - the least physical blueline in these playoffs by a country mile.
Not only that, but what team that has a shot of making the playoffs actually qualifies as that type of team any more? Chicago is the only team in the West you could describe in that way last season and they just traded away their three toughest/meanest players. Obviously they didn't feel they were as integral to their success as their small skilled players when they were deciding where to make sacrifices on their roster.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:21 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:

Which top 6 guy do you want out?

You've spurned trading Raymond because of his two way play. The twins are not likely to go anywhere. Kesler? Samuelsson? Burrows? Who's out?

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:26 PM
God Bless Canada

From the "Hindsight is 20/20" files: I was one of many Canuck fans upset in 2003 when the Canucks passed on Tambellini to take Ryan Kesler. I liked Kesler, but I really wanted Tambellini. Kesler has morphed into the best defensive forward in Canucks history; Tambellini has underachieved, and struggled to keep a job on one of the worst teams in hockey.

I don't think he'll play much. He's destined for the AHL. On a traditional team, he's a guy who needs to play in the top six forwards to make an impact. And while the Canucks aren't a traditional team in terms of how they set up their lines, Tambellini is still a guy who needs to be on a scoring line to make a contribution. He has yet to consistently show me any reason to believe he should be on a scoring line.

If he's not good enough to get a regular shift on a lousy Islanders team, why should we expect he'll be good enough to play here. Unless he suddenly figures out it takes more than just skating, great hands and a heavy shot to score in The Show.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

The way I see Tambellini this year is as an injury callup. If one of the top six is injured, he could be called up to fill spot duty. Unless he rounds out his game enough to be an effective bottom six player, I see him spending the majority of his time with the Moose. Which is certainly not a bad thing either--the Moose need some slightly veteran support to go with the cadre of youngsters they will ice this year.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
From the "Hindsight is 20/20" files: I was one of many Canuck fans upset in 2003 when the Canucks passed on Tambellini to take Ryan Kesler. I liked Kesler, but I really wanted Tambellini. Kesler has morphed into the best defensive forward in Canucks history; Tambellini has underachieved, and struggled to keep a job on one of the worst teams in hockey.
I fully admit to being one of the ones who wanted Tambellini. I wasn't upset with Kesler, as he actually was No. 2 on my list, but I wanted Tambellini.

I'm really glad they went with Kesler.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:44 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheavyhookjaw View Post
Which top 6 guy do you want out?

You've spurned trading Raymond because of his two way play. The twins are not likely to go anywhere. Kesler? Samuelsson? Burrows? Who's out?
I think I've made it clear I want a top 9 player who is capable of moving into the top 6 when the road gets inevitably tough.

Old
07-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Pascha

Quote:
I think I've made it clear I want a top 9 player who is capable of moving into the top 6 when the road gets inevitably tough.
Still waiting for a name that is realistic.

Old
07-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Don't know Jeff personally but he wen't to the same school I use to attend, Ryan Johanesn also attended that school

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote