HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I never read anything from Kovalchuk about him wanting to come to LA. It was all pure speculation and apparently it was wrong.
It could go both ways. One could argue that it is taking so long because he wants to come here but is hesitant at the discount price we are asking for. Otherwise, it wouldn't have taken this long, and someone else could easily offer more than the Kings.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
07-02-2010, 03:18 PM
piston

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to piston
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
Not couldn't. Wouldn't - at the price required to sign them. Biiiig difference. Also, people keep saying that money is not "assets," which is ludicrous. In the cap world, the money you give to one player is the money you now can't give to another player, whether a UFA or your own, which may cause said player to go elsewhere. At least in a trade, you know what you're giving up. If you pay too much for a player, the repercussions last for years.

People also forget two reasons players don't want to come to California having nothing to do with the Kings:

1. Taxes. Some of the highest, if not the highest in the country. When we're dealing with tens of millions of dollars, the difference is very significant. The player would have to get a bigger chunk of change from the Kings to get the same amount of money in the bank as he would get from say NJ on a lower contract.

2. Travel. Worst place to play if you want to save the wear and tear on your body (the player's most significant asset), not to mention being away from the family.
People really underestimate this. After all, it is after tax dollars that players care about.

Old
07-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

To the people that think I'm being negative or angry, I'm not. I don't know how my words come off in typing but I"m about the least angry person you'll meet. Snyper8 will vouge for me. I'm also not saying antying different than I ever have on here. Just because I have a different opinion than you doesn't mean I'm angry. There are still plenty of time to improve the team and that is all I asked for going into this. I had no lofty expectations about Kovalchuk et al like some of you. Go check my post history. Go look in the Kovalchuk poll who voted that he woudln't come here. If I didn't expect him to come here in the first place, how could I be disappointed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
You are infuriatingly unreasonable. "Whatever it takes"... LETS GO RANGERS
What do you mean unreasonalbe? how so? if you want a player badly, as you see a lot of teams do every year when the UFA period rolls around, you do what it takes to sign him. How is that unreasonable? I'm not saying DL should have paid $8m for the guy but if that is his guy and he wants him bad enough, then he'll pony up the money. Fact of the matter is, it probably doesn't even matter what DL offered because as Paul Martin said "it was about winning". Ok so I dont fault DL for that. I fault him for the big talk about being active when it looks like he is just getting his name out there as being active with some longshot hope that he might actually land one of the players he wants. See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
It's not like he has never signed a UFA player. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It certainly doesn't cost anything more than time, and why is it any skin off your nose.
No but it sure sounds great when you go tell everyone that you tried and you just couldn't get the guy.

Quote:
Sounds like we were pretty close on Martin and lost out to the Pittsburgh f'ing Penguins. They ARE a pretty good team. Martin's agent would not have even taken Lombardi's call two years ago.
Well this I won't disagree with. That is the most frustrating part. One decent season and one round of playoffs doesn't wipe away the 40+ years of futility. As far as the team has come in the past few years, they are still basically at square one.

Quote:
Not surprised, and this definitely gives Lombardi more leverage.
Lets be honest, this was probably in the cards from day one. I predicted it a long time ago (before it was on LGK or all over this site). I also predicted Kovalchuk would not sign here. Judging by DL's history of signing UFA's, I'm going to guess he'll strike out on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardKingsFan View Post
I'm glad you people who are complaining about Lombardi aren't running this team, if it were up to you guys you would have had us sign Drury or Briere to a ridiculous contract or given Hossa a 14 year deal and put us in cap hell with no cap space to keep the players we drafted around. The real NHL doesn't work like the hockey video game that you play on your XBOX.
Apples and oranges bro. The Kings just made the playoffs and Kovalchuk isn't Drury or Briere. I also would've taken the Hossa deal and I don't see how that would have put us in CAP hell. Please show me the numbers there. Smyth makes $6.25m to play the first line. IT is safe to assume that moving forward, that is roughly the estimate of what DL is willing to pay of a top line forward. Hossa at <$6m a year is a steal.

Old
07-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Duc620

How about $8.25 million plus CA tax, license, and doc fees? Will you take it home today?

Old
07-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Pretty awesome quote from the trade and free agent rumors board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Got to love the irony of the USA spending 50 years, trillions of dollars, and multiple wars to convince Russia that the US economic system is the best, then Americans calling Russians greedy for using said economic system to their advantage.

Old
Vic Vinegar

If this thing about higher taxes is true, isn't that a seemingly huge problem with the salary cap system? Shouldn't the NHL do something about this? Maybe teams in areas with higher taxes can spend more, or create a system in which all teams are technically Toronto based, so they all pay Toronto taxes?

Old
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
People also forget two reasons players don't want to come to California having nothing to do with the Kings:

1. Taxes. Some of the highest, if not the highest in the country. When we're dealing with tens of millions of dollars, the difference is very significant. The player would have to get a bigger chunk of change from the Kings to get the same amount of money in the bank as he would get from say NJ on a lower contract.

2. Travel. Worst place to play if you want to save the wear and tear on your body (the player's most significant asset), not to mention being away from the family.
I'm sure Dean is aware of this as well, so he shouldn't be surprised that they don't want to sign here for the same amount.

I haven't seen any trades for a #4 defenseman either. Just like UFAs, you still have to find a willing partner.

How many top 4 defensemen are on the market right now? Kaberle? Burke wants a top 6 forward and a pick (probably a 1st). The Kings don't have any spare forwards to trade that Burke would want and Dean would be willing to give up.

I've heard Simmonds for Kaberle, no thanks. I would rather take my chances with a couple of prospects.

Old
07-02-2010, 03:24 PM
cgomar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
How about $8.25 million plus CA tax, license, and doc fees? Will you take it home today?
LMAO

Old
07-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
It could go both ways. One could argue that it is taking so long because he wants to come here but is hesitant at the discount price we are asking for. Otherwise, it wouldn't have taken this long, and someone else could easily offer more than the Kings.
True, but will Dean be willing to move up to get it done? Hopefully, he will.

Kovalchuk or bust has been my position from the beginning.

Old
07-02-2010, 03:25 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDankness View Post
If this thing about higher taxes is true, isn't that a seemingly huge problem with the salary cap system? Shouldn't the NHL do something about this? Maybe teams in areas with higher taxes can spend more, or create a system in which all teams are technically Toronto based, so they all pay Toronto taxes?
I'm completely down with this. It would probably double Canada's federal budget, not to mention Ontario's provincial

Salaries et al should just be calculated after tax. The system now kind of screws Canadian teams over, especially Montreal.

Old
07-02-2010, 03:26 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
If Dean is at $7 million and Kovalchuk wants $8 million, you tell him to walk?
If $7M is the number Dean has figured out that he can pay max and still do what else needs to get done, then ab-so-lute-ly.

Old
07-02-2010, 03:26 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Drew Bagnall signed by the Wild. Sucks, he was a good influence on the young guys

Old
07-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Drew Bagnall signed by the Wild. Sucks, he was a good influence on the young guys
link?

Old
07-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Yeah :/

Good for him, though. Good dude, glad he gets a shot. I'm sure he saw the writing on the wall when we started lining defensemen up outside the press box.

Edit: Linky for Telos

http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/07/02/bagnall-moves-on/

Old
07-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Yeah :/

Good for him, though. Good dude, glad he gets a shot. I'm sure he saw the writing on the wall when we started lining defensemen up outside the press box.

Edit: Linky for Telos

http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/07/02/bagnall-moves-on/
Rofl, I checked every site except for Hammond's Good luck to him.

Old
07-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
If $7M is the number Dean has figured out that he can pay max and still do what else needs to get done, then ab-so-lute-ly.
You really believe that $1 million dollars per year is going to prevent the Kings from signing their own players? The cap will probably go up another $2-3 million next year, at worst it would stay the same.

Do you believe that the last offer he gave to Cammy was an accurate one for his value?

Old
07-02-2010, 03:33 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Rofl, I checked every site except for Hammond's Good luck to him.
Hahaha I saw the Monarchs Twitter announce it first Then Rich put it on his site..

UGH KOVY?!?!?!??!?!!? WHY HAVEN'T YOU SIGNED WITH US YET?

Old
07-02-2010, 03:34 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Frolov actually talking with Rangers, not Islanders.

Old
07-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Snyper8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
To the people that think I'm being negative or angry, I'm not. I don't know how my words come off in typing but I"m about the least angry person you'll meet. Snyper8 will vouge for me. I'm also not saying antying different than I ever have on here. Just because I have a different opinion than you doesn't mean I'm angry. There are still plenty of time to improve the team and that is all I asked for going into this. I had no lofty expectations about Kovalchuk et al like some of you. Go check my post history. Go look in the Kovalchuk poll who voted that he woudln't come here. If I didn't expect him to come here in the first place, how could I be disappointed?
the only time i have ever seen buddy the elf angry in all my years knowing him was when norms restaurants took the loaded potato skins off the menu.

Old
William H Bonney

Continue here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...0#post26705150

nki

Quote:
Not couldn't. Wouldn't - at the price required to sign them. Biiiig difference.

Sorry but link? Judging by reputable sources such as Bob McKenzie and Kevin Allen we know that for the Kings a top 4 d-man was the top priority and they were willing to pay for that.

Also, people keep saying that money is not "assets," which is ludicrous. In the cap world, the money you give to one player is the money you now can't give to another player, whether a UFA or your own, which may cause said player to go elsewhere. At least in a trade, you know what you're giving up. If you pay too much for a player, the repercussions last for years.

Considering they were in the race for both Martin and Hamhuis I'm confident that they either felt they wouldn't be losing anyone of note or that it would be worth it. At the end of the day it comes down to the fact that they felt that a top 4 d-man was the top priority and their biggest need and they couldn't get it done. Now they need to go to Plan B. Again. I'm not going to blast them just yet but Simmonds for Kaberle doesn't sound so nice. I'd rather pay Martin 5 million per year and apparently they would too.

Back to World Cup I need to take a break from this.

Old
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I'll be honest, it is just seems like every year we watch every team improve and our team is getting better at a snails pace compared to the rest of the league.

What do I know? I'm jsut a fan and it really doesn't matter what I think. Now I think I'll take the weekend off from the Kings. Maybe I'll get a sweet text message this weekend but I won't hold my breathe.

Closed Thread